Forum Settings
Forums

If an anime has perfect aesthetics, but an awful plot and characters, is it a good anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 26, 2013 4:12 PM

Jun 2013
Depends. Is it a short (as in 12 episodes short) anime? Then I might push through for the sake of shiny visuals, but characters are the most important part of an anime for me so anything over 12 would just be too hard to sit through.
Sep 26, 2013 4:17 PM
Sep 2013
It's subjective. I, personally, would consider is good if the aesthetics were really that phenomenal. They have to be phenomenal, though. Phenomenal.
Sep 26, 2013 4:22 PM

Jan 2013
Why would you watch a show ... you know ... you already answered the question :/
No-one watched Transformers for the story, so I guess some do.
PrOxAntoSep 26, 2013 4:30 PM
Sep 26, 2013 4:30 PM

Mar 2011
No, I would absolutely hate it.

Characters > plot > animation & art.
Sep 26, 2013 4:42 PM

May 2009
Mizaki's later stuff had horrible fucking writing.
Sep 26, 2013 5:27 PM

Jul 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
I would probably still watch it if I started into it (considering I already am), but I would not recognize it as good based off aesthetics alone. I'm currently watching Fantasista Doll and while I have to admit the characters are "supa kawaii" and some of the effects are pretty cool, it has an awful cast and story. At best it's getting a 4/10 from me.

Another one is Amnesia. The art is absolutely stunning in that and I especially love the eye designs, but its lack luster plot and terribly undeveloped self-insert-fantasy protagonist left very little to be enjoyed about it.

^ this
Sep 26, 2013 5:44 PM

Apr 2012
Of course it doesn't make it a good anime, otherwise Guilty Crown wouldn't receive the insane amount of hate it gets.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Sep 26, 2013 6:12 PM

Dec 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
So I want to know your opinion on this. If an anime has the best music and sound effects possible, the highest, most utterly beautiful animation to grace the eyes, and top notch, VIP class Voice Actors for both original and Dub, yet has a completely shambled plot and horrible characters, would you still watch it? And more importantly, would you consider it a good anime for the aesthetics alone?

No, an anime like that could only rate a 4 at most. Even the oft mentioned Guilty Crown in this thread was better than that.
KruszerSep 26, 2013 6:34 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 26, 2013 8:52 PM

Aug 2011
If it doesn't have the engine or tires to go anywhere, is the sexy car a good car?

The answer is no. No it is not.

Guilty Crown is one of my favorites. It's still a sexy car.

Sep 26, 2013 11:50 PM

Dec 2012
This thread reeeeeks of Guilty Crown...
I still listen to the OST... Its just... so damn good!
But the story... was like...... there... like down there... like

down here....
Sep 26, 2013 11:58 PM

Sep 2013
man... I'm watching Guilty Crown currently and I like it for the most part so far but after reading some of the posts here I'm starting to realize just how bad the story part of it is. I hadn't really thought about the quality of the story until now and just.. I don't know if I should feel about this realization... ;A;

I guess my answer is, if I don't think about it, story quality won't come into consideration when I rate an anime good or bad orz I should work on that...
roboticalSep 27, 2013 12:02 AM
Sep 27, 2013 12:10 AM

Sep 2012
kazuchu said:
man... I'm watching Guilty Crown currently and I like it for the most part so far but after reading some of the posts here I'm starting to realize just how bad the story part of it is. I hadn't really thought about the quality of the story until now and just.. I don't know if I should feel about this realization... ;A;
"Some of the posts here"?

All of the posts talking about Guilty Crown don't give any sort of reasoning besides "it's bad because it's bad".

If just reading that something is bad is enough to change your opinion on it, I legitimately question your ability to make decisions in life.
Sep 27, 2013 12:12 AM

Nov 2011
Imma go watch Guilty Crown to see what the fuss is about!
The Art of Eight
Sep 27, 2013 12:16 AM
Sep 2009
No, because aesthetics alone don't make a good show.

If the focus of the show or movie is the aesthetics, then it is perfectly okay to have a simple plot and simple characters; Redline is a perfect example of this. However, even in these cases the plot has to still be engaging and the characters at least need to be likeable.

If an anime has an awful plot that doesn't engage you and terrible characters, then all aesthetics can do is make it a 'polished turd', as some people have already said.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Sep 27, 2013 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
Just like video game with shallow plot.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Sep 27, 2013 12:25 AM

Nov 2011
NeoAnkara said:

Plots generally arent as important for a video game since it would depend on the genre. You think Mario is bad just because it has a bare bones plot? :v
The Art of Eight
Sep 27, 2013 12:52 AM

Nov 2012
I don't think any flashy gimmicks can save a bad story.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Sep 27, 2013 1:22 AM

Aug 2012
NeoAnkara said:
But video games are about gameplay, right? Oh boy, I hope Date doesn't swing by and "correct" me on this.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Sep 27, 2013 1:45 AM

Sep 2012
gamer2710 said:
NeoAnkara said:
But video games are about gameplay, right? Oh boy, I hope Date doesn't swing by and "correct" me on this.
Video gmase ar e about the compny wi ht whne most money and cultre significance look at the statistcs from 1998 because of the west that provs my point look at hw I rate
Sep 27, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2013
Nope.

Guilty Crown.

Nuff said
Sep 27, 2013 10:26 PM
Apr 2008
Definitely not. I have to admit that there are many anime that has BEAUTIFUL animation and whatnot but when the plot and characters suck,what is the point? I mean I believe it is a shame to let that go to waste and I would be curious enough to watch it for the first few episodes and stop when it gets too much.
Sep 27, 2013 10:32 PM

Apr 2009
No, but I can certainly watch things purely for the wonderful animation.

See: Psychic Wars/Nerawareta Gakuen. Terrible movie, but it looked STUNNING.
Sep 27, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2011
Nope.
Sep 27, 2013 10:40 PM

Nov 2011
Amarrez said:

awww Its bad? I was just gonna watch it :v
The Art of Eight
Sep 27, 2013 10:41 PM

Apr 2009
dankickyou said:
Amarrez said:

awww Its bad? I was just gonna watch it :v

I hated it, but some people will probably like it.
Sep 27, 2013 10:41 PM

Nov 2009
Depends on one's preferences . . . For me, Aesthetics/Voicing/OST are actually rather low compared to plot / characters, but that is just my personal opinion.
Sep 27, 2013 10:45 PM

Jul 2013
Id rather enjoy shitty animation and/or bad graphics, character design than a horrible plot/characters..
Sep 27, 2013 10:55 PM

Aug 2013
I thought of Mawaru Penguindrum instead of Guilty Crown.
I would prefer a shallow plot that is somewhat presentable rather than a deep and shambled plot that leaves me headaches over trying to comprehend what had happened.
Sep 27, 2013 11:04 PM

Jan 2013
Well to be fair, anime is animation, meaning it's a visual medium at its very core. I'm sure not everyone who invented animation, or who draw animation now didn't do it just to write terrific stories with superb writing. Animation is a visual medium, so technically the most important thing is that attracts interest and is aesthetically pleasing.

If an anime can't attract anyone or keep their interest (in watching) then it's failed its job, but if it can keep people's interest, it has succeeded whether the story was great or really crappy. It has a lot to do with entertainment, another way to phrase the question is "Would it entertain you/keep your interest?"

I personally could not watch something like that, but many people could and that's ok. Animation does not have to equal Nobel peace prize winning scripts and writing (even though that would be nice)

Sep 28, 2013 12:42 AM

Apr 2013
It depends on who you're asking. Ask me, and I have to say, "not exactly."

My preferences aren't the visual and audio. I like certain shows because they have a good storyline and the characters have good chemistry, doesn't matter if it looks like their animation has been to Hell and back and Satan didn't spare any mercy with punishing them. Looks bad, okay, it may lose a point with me. If your characters are awesome, and your storyline is awesome, then I just might end up giving it a high score.

I reviewed Air Gear, and this is one of those shows I think would fall under this EXACT category. I gave it 3/10. Near-perfect aesthetics. Great-looking animation, killer sounds, can't say much about voices since I'm tone-deaf when it comes to that. But take it down to characters, I wanted to punch the main character in the face, slap his lover out of her senses, and throw some decent clothes on one of the whores that admired him. The story was ridiculous and repetitive, and every time I logged on to watch it, I ALWAYS had to watch the bar and wonder, "is it over yet?" Not a fun show. But thank your deity of choice that I got around to finishing.

If you think that a good show takes advantage of perfect aesthetics but still has an awful plot and characters, I'm not stopping you from thinking that way. However, in my own opinion, and this is just me, it HAS to be the other way around. I think of the aesthetics as a mask: hide whatever you can underneath and it just might fool some onlookers, but the rest of us will be thoroughly unimpressed.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Sep 28, 2013 12:50 AM
Sep 2013
If a burger looks perfect but tastes awful, is it a good burger? That's what your question sounds like to me. I know a person who can watch anime just for its looks but I can't do that.
Sep 28, 2013 1:04 AM

Sep 2013
this is giving me a some kinda mindbreak even i've been watching anime for 3 years :=V
i still think that it will be shame if we watch anime which meet the requirement at #1
waste of time => dropping time after 2-3 eps and find some another pricefull anime which will satisfy you more
no assault please, newbie at here for 1 hour
Sep 28, 2013 1:06 AM

Oct 2012
It depends on what their intention is.
There are animes which include very little aside from continuous action sequences, or other high-budget animating.
Redline is a usable example. Characters were far from memorable, pacing was odd at time, and the overall plot was far from its strongest aspect. But the fact that it was all (or mostly, don't remember) hand drawn and stylistic, that caught the attention of many.
Sep 28, 2013 1:11 AM

Jan 2009
its a good anime in terms of aesthetics
Sep 28, 2013 1:13 AM

Aug 2008
No, its not. As in everything, balance is important. Nicely wrapped turd is still a turd.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 28, 2013 1:26 AM
Sep 2013
j0x said:
its a good anime in terms of aesthetics

Youuuuuuuu! LOL!
Sep 28, 2013 1:35 AM

Sep 2013
hope i am not railing out the content of that thread :3
remember ss2 of Oreimo =D ?
ss1 was perfect and amusing
but when i watched ss2, i was litteraly smashed in the brain :=V
all characters were still fine but after that, the anime nearly thrown all the relationship into other dimension @@
Sep 28, 2013 1:50 AM

Oct 2010
Okay guys. I'll try to extend my thoughts on this topic.

The question, while a little tricky in its wording (how can you defend something that is awful?), is not that unequivocal. What it is asking in my opinion is basically if a show that is focused on visuals and soundtrack can make up for its lack of content or interest in the story and characters. I used to have a very definitive opinion on this, but the fact is many fictional works use this scheme for their own benefit. Poetry is often about oversimplified feelings. Action movies tend to be lacking in character and story development. Many experimental works are focused on exploring the relation between aesthetics and story, in very different ways. And all of them can work, as experiences with a specific focus.
Sep 28, 2013 2:32 AM
Nov 2012
Of course, an anime with good aesthetics but sloppy story and characters can be good. Vampire Hunter D is one that comes to mind, as the characters and action were mediocre but the moody atmosphere saved the entire film (at least for me ;3).
Sep 28, 2013 2:34 AM

Sep 2013
According to the community, Rebuild of Evangelion is a good show, so...

good aesthetics ✓
awful plot ✓
terrible characters ✓

...must be true.
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 28, 2013 2:46 AM

Apr 2013
If you enjoyed such a thing, then it's called a guilty pleasure.

Sep 28, 2013 4:00 AM

Dec 2012
I would probably watch through it all since I love eye candy but I wouldn't rate it all too high.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Sep 28, 2013 4:06 AM

Sep 2013
HSOTD, DxD, Dakara ... too much ecchi, ero and bb everywhere O_o
that could belong to "perfect aesthetics, but an awful plot and characters", couldn't it?
i am getting bored with that kind anime

Hiryu12 said:
If you enjoyed such a thing, then it's called a guilty pleasure.

more than a guilty pleasure
may be that is a sin against anime world :3
Sep 28, 2013 4:17 AM

Jun 2013
If this kind of logic was true, then I would be saying that SAO, Guilty Crown, Shingeki no Kyojin, and a bunch of low-brow stuff are the best anime ever. Which makes me sick to think about.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Sep 28, 2013 4:23 AM

Mar 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
If this kind of logic was true, then I would be saying that SAO, Guilty Crown, Shingeki no Kyojin, and a bunch of low-brow stuff are the best anime ever. Which makes me sick to think about.
Of course, because there's absolutely no disparity in writing quality to separate SNK from those other two shows.
Sep 28, 2013 6:15 AM

Sep 2013
YandereTheEmo said:

Rebuild of Evangelion is supposedly one of the best anime ever, which makes me sick to think about.

In fact, I almost puked while watching 2.0, so fucking bad!
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 28, 2013 6:20 AM

Jun 2013
SaberKino said:
YandereTheEmo said:
Of course, because there's absolutely no disparity in writing quality to separate SNK from those other two shows.

I was pushing the phrase "Best anime ever" above the rest. I cannot really say much in regards to what you like vs. what I like. To be frank, I've gone into more discussions than I could care to count about each of these anime, and my bottom line is that while they looked very pretty/sounded very nice, they didn't really push too much.

I'm an SnK fan myself, but the plot and pacing have gone on an incline, and didn't really stay true to the colors of the show. Hence redirecting to a lower-quality form of what it originally was. The main reason that I've gone back to reading the manga rather than watching it, for I started reading it months before it aired, and I definitely prefer the manga.

The amount of disparity depends on the opinions of the viewer, but again, stressing the phrase, "Best anime ever"
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Sep 28, 2013 6:29 AM

Sep 2013
newsWatch9 said:
YandereTheEmo said:

Rebuild of Evangelion is supposedly one of the best anime ever, which makes me sick to think about.

In fact, I almost puked while watching 2.0, so fucking bad!

You again on those rebuilds, haha. I like you.

Back to topic:
Well S.A.O. is certainly a pretty looking show, no doubt. Yet I'm sitting here at episode 9, thinking about dropping the show. It's just so boring, predictable, every female character seems to be a possible love interest for the 0815 MC the target group of viewers should probably somehow relate to, fanservice over the top thanks to the setting alone (medieval MMO and big booty bitches around every corner) and how the show handles its drama is sometimes even laughable. So I don't think only looking good will make a show automaticly good. Maybe slighty above average at best. But that's just my opinion and everyone has different priorities while watching a show of course.
nightwalkSep 28, 2013 6:39 AM
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
Sep 28, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2013
sometimes first season of the anime don't suck much, still pretty good
unfortunatelly when it get to next season, problems seems to appear =_=
content is going to be confusing, characters begin to behave strange or go again their personality in previous seasons

i am not sure if someone will understand my idea

and rebuilding the anime? Worse or better, it will relate to the makers when they decide how to impress viewers by their anime
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - 7 hours ago

12 by SgtBateMan »»
2 minutes ago

» Is It Okay to Watch Anime All Day?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

30 by kjplethodon »»
2 minutes ago

» Who is this pokemon?

isolated-otaku - 58 minutes ago

7 by FZREMAKE »»
4 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

26 by FZREMAKE »»
5 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

32 by FanofAction »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.