Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2013 10:56 PM
Mar 2012
Recommend me an anime please, also if there's something on my plan-to-watch list that I should absolutely watch according to my taste let me know please
Jul 2, 2013 11:04 PM

Sep 2012
Enokii said:
Recommend me an anime please, also if there's something on my plan-to-watch list that I should absolutely watch according to my taste let me know please
I see you like Lain, so I will also recommend Dennou Coil to you.
Jul 2, 2013 11:46 PM
Mar 2012
Ohh! I'd forgotten about this one. It seemed pretty intriguing, I shall watch it next. Thanks
Jul 3, 2013 12:13 AM
Jul 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
@BRS

Katanagatari. Then any work by Satoshi Kon. But Katanagatari. Really.

Ok. I will remember on watching that one. thanks.
Jul 3, 2013 9:51 AM

Apr 2013
I need something to read after finished with Monster.. something fun, and while doesn't need a lot of thinking, it is still hilarious but.. classy
Jul 3, 2013 10:24 AM

Apr 2012
doraemon1992 said:
I need something to read after finished with Monster.. something fun, and while doesn't need a lot of thinking, it is still hilarious but.. classy

SCHOOL RUMBLE
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 3, 2013 10:28 AM

Apr 2013
sushi55 said:
doraemon1992 said:

SCHOOL RUMBLE
Already Read and Watched! HARUMPH!
Jul 3, 2013 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
doraemon1992 said:
sushi55 said:
doraemon1992 said:

SCHOOL RUMBLE
Already Read and Watched! HARUMPH!

GINTAMA
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 3, 2013 11:35 AM

Apr 2009
How about you watch NO CAPS?
I'd recommend Dororon Enma-kun for some oldschool Go Nagai fun with lots of fanservice.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 3, 2013 11:47 AM

Apr 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
How about you watch NO CAPS?
I'd recommend Dororon Enma-kun for some oldschool Go Nagai fun with lots of fanservice.
I watched NO CAPS already, definitely the most "elitist" anime for the whole period of anime existence

hmm, okay then, dororon it is. thanks nid!

@sushi: again, no! gintama anime is a weak and inferior version of its manga
Jul 6, 2013 8:26 AM
Mar 2012
Popka said:
Enokii said:
I see you like Lain, so I will also recommend Dennou Coil to you.

Really enjoying it so far
Jul 6, 2013 9:19 AM

Sep 2012
Good, I'm glad you like it. Fair warning: If you watch episode 13 right after episode 12, you might get mood whiplash. They're both very good episodes, though.
Jul 7, 2013 11:57 AM

Jul 2011
I'm curious as to what you guys would suggest for me. I've been giving newer stuff (to me newer means post-2000) a try here and there this year, but I haven't found much outside JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 that I liked very much. I am open to whatever.
Jul 7, 2013 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
You could watch the reboots of older franchises like the new Space Battleship Yamato, Lupin - A Woman named Fujiko, Dororon Enma-kun Mera Mera or - although I believe that this might be a big disappointment - the new Gatchaman that airs soon.

Some kodomo classics like Heidi are currently getting subbed as well and you still haven't seen Dr. Slump - a great Toriyama classic and his most popular series after Dragonball.

If you don't mind series of varying quality you could give Ozma a try as well.
NidhoeggrJul 7, 2013 12:07 PM
Jul 10, 2013 6:26 AM
Jan 2013
Can someone suggest me something to watch? Not too long (not over 50 episodes please)!
Jul 10, 2013 8:09 AM

Dec 2007
your lists looks like mine years ago (smile). Nice.

It is not easy to find good titles to watch at your age as most people would praise over complicated seinens that maybe you don't like yet.

I see you're really into shonen. You should watch Full metal alchemist soon it is a good series (I just read the manga so I can only tell about brotherhood).

Also you don't need to watch all new series. You can watch older series too. As some classic are really good.

Speaking of classics there is a series that you must try: Utena. This series even if it is a shoujo it is not like normal shoujos. The anime shows that girls can also be valiant and brave not just Barbie princess. A must watch for someone around your age.

Someone out there who knows more about classic shonens?
Jul 10, 2013 8:16 AM

Jan 2013
looking for something in particular ? If not just pick something you might like in the enlightement list or another recommendation chart and then try three episodes. You can also try reviews websites ( not MAL ) and then watch the animes that get the highest ratings, or try things in MAL's top 100...
Jul 10, 2013 9:06 AM

Sep 2011
Hey guys. I'm wondering which manga you guys suggest I should read after I finish up Kingdom and REAL.
Thanks a bunch! :)
Jul 10, 2013 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Haakonwale said:
Hey guys. I'm wondering which manga you guys suggest I should read after I finish up Kingdom and REAL.
Thanks a bunch! :)

I'd recommend reading Slam Dunk after finishing REAL, nowhere near enlightening but great cast of characters and adrenaline pumping basketball matches.

As for Kingdom, judging by the recommendations (I have not watched it) I'd say Fuushi Yuugi makes a nice change of pace :D
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 10, 2013 12:01 PM

Apr 2009
@mermaidghost:
I am a bit lost because I can't really gauge your tastes.
Try Durarara because of Baccano and get some action/adventure Shounen because you really seem to like Soul Eater and Ao no Exorcist. Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter (both 2011 and the old version are good), Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hokuto No ken are all classics within the demographic that are held in high regard here. You should also try out the FMA and HxH manga along with Magi, One Piece and Nanatsu No Taizai (a new series that I find quite charming).
Additionally Cowboy Bebop, Madoka Magica, Ghost In The Shall (you can start with movies or the series) and Neon Genesis Evangelion to get some classics in your lists.

@Haak:
I agree with suchi about Fuushi Yuugi, we might repoll this in the future and iit's supposed to be really good. Haven't seen it myself, but more readers means more votes :P
I personally find Slam Dunk to be one of the most important 80s WSJ titles and recommend you read it along with Vagabond since Inoue's stories are always great. You can check out Vinland Saga as well.
Jul 13, 2013 1:28 AM

Oct 2012
Jul 13, 2013 1:36 AM

Aug 2009
I've seen House of Five Leaves and I would very much recommend it. It is slow, contemplative, atmospheric and very much character driven anime, but definitely not boring. It's subtle, yet memorable. I'd write more, but have to keep it short because I'm not typing with a real keyboard so it's pain in the ass.
In short, it's very close to how I envisioned noitaminA slot should look like.
Jul 13, 2013 1:47 AM

Dec 2011
I also highly recommend House of Five Leaves. Meta hit the nail on the head with the reasons. I actually didn't find it to be slow myself though, but I've read it being described as so by another.
Jul 13, 2013 3:09 AM

Apr 2009
As the club's resident latent alcoholic I can only recommend Bartender. It is a slow, wonderful series with a great main character, episodic tales and some good drinks.
Jul 13, 2013 3:21 AM

Apr 2012
I also recommend to watch Bartender. The way they explained the meaning and history behind the drinks were fascinating (hopefully factual). It's like going to the doctor/psychiatrist and they prescribe you drinks to get better and that's what Bartender is like.
Jul 13, 2013 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
Can someone recommend me something based on my list. (If your recommendation is in my PTW, please recommend it).
Jul 13, 2013 4:07 AM

Oct 2012
@JohnDavis

I'd recommend Only Yesterday and Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal for anime.

And Homunculus, Hoshi no Samidare, and the four critically acclaimed works of Asano Inio (Subarashii Sekai, Solanin, Nijigahara Holograph, and Oyasumi Punpun) for manga.
Jul 13, 2013 4:24 AM

Jan 2013
@JohnDavis
You liked Nodame Cantabile and Usagi Drop ? Then try Arakawa Under the Bridge and Ucchu Kyoudai, two similar slice of life
I see you have City Hunter, Shinsekai Yori and Xamd Lost Memories in your PTW, I recommend you watch these three.
Xamd lost memories is very similar to Eureka Seven, if you want more Eureka Seven watch it, but don't ever watch Ao.
City Hunter is a classic 80's anime
Shinsekai Yori is one of my favourite animes if you like horror, supernatural and deep animes then it's a very good anime

You could also try some of Osamu Tekusa's mangas, Black Jack for example
shiranui51Jul 13, 2013 8:02 AM
Jul 15, 2013 3:18 AM

Oct 2007
I'd like a few series recommendations based off my list as well :)
Jul 15, 2013 4:37 AM

May 2012
@teenoli

Since you really like 'epic', action plots, why not Black Lagoon? Awesome gunfights and badassery, a really fun cast and a great English dub if you don't mind hearing a LOT of swear words.

Also, because it's an anime staple and you haven't seen it yet, Neon Genesis Evangelion. You may love it or hate it (I believe that there is NO way to tell if someone will like it or not until they've seen in, no matter what there other tastes are) but it's something every anime fan needs to try.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a shoujo that you just can't go past. Thought-provoking with a somewhat creepy yet beautiful atmosphere and symbolism and another classic. If you want a shoujo that's more lighthearted, go for Cardcaptor Sakura. Cute and innocent, very lovely and just makes you smile every time you watch it.
Jul 15, 2013 2:12 PM

Jul 2009
My plan to read & On Hold list is gigantic already, but if someone wants to add some mangas, you're welcome :3
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/CrashRHCP
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2013 2:32 PM

Nov 2011
CrashRHCP said:
My plan to read & On Hold list is gigantic already, but if someone wants to add some mangas, you're welcome :3

You read Tsubasa and xxxHolic without reading like.... ANY other CLAMP series? That's like playing Kingdom Hearts without ever having watched a Disney movie or played a Final Fantasy game.

So in light of that, read the following:

Tokyo Babylon
X/1999
RG Veda
Card Captor Sakura
Chobits (not quite as good as the others)
Clover
Legend of Chung Hyang
Jul 15, 2013 2:36 PM

Sep 2012
I recommend Oyasumi Punpun, which evidently will be ending soon.

There are some bigger fans of Asano in this club that would probably have more recommendations for you.
Jul 15, 2013 2:42 PM

Jul 2009
Amberleh said:
CrashRHCP said:

You read Tsubasa and xxxHolic without reading like.... ANY other CLAMP series? That's like playing Kingdom Hearts without ever having watched a Disney movie or played a Final Fantasy game.

So in light of that, read the following:

Tokyo Babylon
X/1999
RG Veda
Card Captor Sakura
Chobits (not quite as good as the others)
Clover
Legend of Chung Hyang

I-I... I had seen a bit of Chobits, which it IS on my list, and I've seen a lot of episodes of Sakura when I was a kid. But xxxHolic doesn't really need to have read the others. it only has connection with Tsubasa.
I guess those are all Clamp titles then? xD
I'll be sure the check them out :3

@Popka
Ah, that's Solanin's writer, right?
I really did like that manga.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2013 2:46 PM

Nov 2011
The Chobits anime is atrocious. Don't watch it. It is just... SO unbearably bad. Just read the manga, it's shorter anyway. And the Sakura anime that aired in the US is a very different series from the original version. It's more butchered than English Sailor Moon by a long shot.
Jul 15, 2013 2:48 PM

Jul 2009
Amberleh said:
The Chobits anime is atrocious. Don't watch it. It is just... SO unbearably bad. Just read the manga, it's shorter anyway. And the Sakura anime that aired in the US is a very different series from the original version. It's more butchered than English Sailor Moon by a long shot.

I read the manga! xD
It's on my list, note 9, I read it in two days. I love seinen and romance, so :I
And I saw the Portuguese version, since I am Portuguese, not sure how butchered that is, but I remember liking as a kid and not telling anyone cuz i was a "MANLY MAN" and should only like Dragon Ball.
Even though my favorite childhood show was Digimon... and I'm digressing.
Jul 15, 2013 8:23 PM
Jul 2012
Any recommendations on manga for me? Need something good, I am in more of a happy rom-com mood right now but will accept anything.
Jul 15, 2013 8:48 PM

Dec 2011
palamedes465 said:
Any recommendations on manga for me? Need something good, I am in more of a happy rom-com mood right now but will accept anything.
It doesn't look like you read a lot of josei (or shoujo for that matter), but completed rom-coms, I recommend these:
  • Fukuyadou Honpo
  • Darling wa Namamono ni Tsuki - definitely on the smutty side, but absolutely hilarious. Others by this mangaka are also good reads, like Blanc Marie and Oboretai (also smutty).
  • Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
  • Hirunaka no Ryuusei
  • Heroine Shikkaku
  • Kimi wa Pet
  • Hapi Mari
  • Heart
  • Jul 15, 2013 9:27 PM

Oct 2007
    RarityRoyale said:
    @teenoli

Since you really like 'epic', action plots, why not Black Lagoon? Awesome gunfights and badassery, a really fun cast and a great English dub if you don't mind hearing a LOT of swear words.

Also, because it's an anime staple and you haven't seen it yet, Neon Genesis Evangelion. You may love it or hate it (I believe that there is NO way to tell if someone will like it or not until they've seen in, no matter what there other tastes are) but it's something every anime fan needs to try.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is a shoujo that you just can't go past. Thought-provoking with a somewhat creepy yet beautiful atmosphere and symbolism and another classic. If you want a shoujo that's more lighthearted, go for Cardcaptor Sakura. Cute and innocent, very lovely and just makes you smile every time you watch it.

Oh thanks :) Black Lagoon sounds like a good way to kill time. I've been meaning to watch NGE ever since I started watching anime, but it's so LONG D:
    Jul 15, 2013 10:06 PM

Nov 2011
    Long? It's only like 26 episodes right? That's pretty standard.

For just the original series you just need to watch NGE and End of Evangelion. I haven't seen any of the new movies though.

Utena and Sakura, those are what I would call long. Or Sailor Moon. Holy crap Sailor Moon.

But anyway, Teenoli, I don't see Ga-Rei: Zero anywhere on your list. Based on your ratings it seems like a logical choice for you to watch. The English Dub is FANTASTIC and readily available on Netflix, Funi's Youtube channel, and I THIIINK Hulu, maybe. It's a really great 2008 anime that feels a bit like a throwback to the 80's and 90's demons in tokyo setting that was quite popular in those eras and features one of the most believable friendships in anime. It's also only 12 eps, so give it a shot.
    Jul 16, 2013 1:05 AM

Jul 2009
    palamedes465 said:

Check out Love Hina then.
    Jul 16, 2013 4:25 PM

Oct 2007
    @ Amberleh: Really? I kept staring at the long list of movies and ovas and always chickened out of starting it, but 26 episodes and a movie is totally do-able. Ga-Rei Zero, downloading now! Thanks :D
    Jul 19, 2013 5:46 AM

Oct 2012
    Popka said:

There are some bigger fans of Asano in this club that would probably have more recommendations for you.

And here's one now. I recommend Subarashii Sekai, Solanin, and Nijigahra Holograph if you want to expand your Asano knowledge. MORE ASANO INIO FOR EVERYONE!
    Jul 19, 2013 1:08 PM

Jul 2013
    I'm also looking for a few recommendations based on my list.
    Jul 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Oct 2012
    @seelteam6

I'd advice you to watch and read more of these lists.

But seeing as you are a big fan of Anno, why not watch his other works: Gunbuster and Kare Kano.

If you also want more of Gainax, I recommend FLCL and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

But if what you liked about NGE was the dementia, then try out Serial Experiment Lain.
    Jul 19, 2013 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
    Ducat_Revel said:
    Popka said:

And here's one now. I recommend Subarashii Sekai, Solanin, and Nijigahra Holograph if you want to expand your Asano knowledge. MORE ASANO INIO FOR EVERYONE!
    I was quite dumbfounded by nijigahara the moment I first read it :s.. would it better to read subarashi or solanin first?
    Jul 19, 2013 3:41 PM

Apr 2009
    Nijigahara is the hardest Asano work to get into and requires a rereading. Subarashi and Solanin are easier, but the brilliance in his story writing has the strongest presence in Holograph.
    Jul 19, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2012
    On Asano

Jul 19, 2013 11:38 PM

Apr 2013
    Ducat_Revel said:
    On Asano

ahaha, unfortunately OP is the first I tackle among Asano's work, but seems like I was overestimating myself by getting on Nijigahara for the next one..

Thanks for the suggestion Ducat!

On that matters, are there any other titles (manga nor anime) that stand in the same level as nijigahara, i.e requires a rereading or refuses to spoon-feed its reader quality)?
    Jul 19, 2013 11:47 PM

Sep 2012
    Oyasumi Punpun is the one I read first because it's the one I heard of first. I probably would have read Nijigahara Holograph first if I knew about it because 1) It's short, and 2) I like confusing/weird things. It's a different experience from other kinds of stories.

Doraemon, you weren't there when we watched Nekojiru-sou, were you? I can't say its on Nijigahara's level because I never read Nijigahara, but it was obviously not attempting to be accessible.
    Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
    Pages (24) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
    Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
    Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
    Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
    Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
    Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.