Forum Settings
Forums

Your favorite shonen villain? Give reasons!

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 28, 2013 8:06 PM

Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
Light I guess....

He's an anti-hero. It's different. A "villain" is an antagonist.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Apr 28, 2013 8:14 PM

Jan 2013
23nv1 said:
JustALEX said:
Light I guess....

He's an anti-hero. It's different. A "villain" is an antagonist.

He isn't anti-hero, just an anti-villain. A villain which arguably light side between them, while an anti-hero is a hero with a arguably dark side.

The problem though is that Light fits both of these, but since he is not made to be a hero from the very beginning, he was an anti-villain that become a Villain.

Apr 28, 2013 8:21 PM

Mar 2012
Too many page dedicating for disscusing Light.

Anyway villain I like is Gilgamesh since I like his style.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 28, 2013 8:29 PM

Aug 2010
Kruszer said:
gettogaara said:
Kruszer said:
If I like a villain that kind of seems like the series is doing something wrong.

o.O Why? I mean if the villains are lame or boring then I tend to lose interest in the show.

Because most shows are designed with the intention of you, the viewer, sympathizing with the protagonist (good guy) and not liking the show's antagonist (villain). That's why their called the antagonist in the first place, because they're antagonizing and antagonize. Thus if the antagonist is not antagonizing or unlikable and you're not rooting against him/her or like them than the show is doing something wrong. Well either that or trying an unconventional storytelling method like say...Death Note does like flipping the two so the antagonist is the main character.

you're confusing your "like" which apparently means "good characterization" with my "like" which would mean "would I want this person as a friend?" I'm all for well written characters too, I just would not like them as people.

Light isn't the Antagonist of Death Note. Just because he can be considered the villain doesn't change the fact that he is the protagonist. The Antagonist of DN is L. The Antagonist isn't always a bad guy.
Ragna92Apr 28, 2013 8:44 PM
Apr 28, 2013 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
Ragna92 said:
Kruszer said:
gettogaara said:
Kruszer said:
If I like a villain that kind of seems like the series is doing something wrong.

o.O Why? I mean if the villains are lame or boring then I tend to lose interest in the show.

Because most shows are designed with the intention of you, the viewer, sympathizing with the protagonist (good guy) and not liking the show's antagonist (villain). That's why their called the antagonist in the first place, because they're antagonizing and antagonize. Thus if the antagonist is not antagonizing or unlikable and you're not rooting against him/her or like them than the show is doing something wrong. Well either that or trying an unconventional storytelling method like say...Death Note does like flipping the two so the antagonist is the main character.

you're confusing your "like" which apparently means "good characterization" with my "like" which would mean "would I want this person as a friend?" I'm all for well written characters too, I just would not like them as people.

Light isn't the Antagonist of Death Note. Just because he can be considered the villain doesn't change the fact that he is the protagonist. The Antagonist of DN is L. The Antagonist isn't always a bad guy.

This.

L = The antagonist of the story...but wasn't supposed to be the villain.

Antagonist is different from villain.

Apr 28, 2013 9:06 PM

Jan 2013
NeoAnkara said:

I would say that he is a great character, but it's odd for me to call him a great villain, especially that he acted as sort of anti-villain/hero in F/Z.

But yeah, most fabulous character of history.

Apr 28, 2013 9:09 PM

Sep 2012
Mine is the Fuhrer King Bradley in FMA: Brotherhood. He was a badass, had a cool personality and good development.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell
Apr 28, 2013 9:12 PM

Mar 2012
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:

I would say that he is a great character, but it's odd for me to call him a great villain, especially that he acted as sort of anti-villain/hero in F/Z.

He is really memorable. I like his fight with Berserker in Zero.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 28, 2013 9:15 PM

Jan 2013
NeoAnkara said:
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:

I know, he is one of my favorite characters. I just feel odd to see that he is somewhat good guy depending the way to see him.

Well, Gen made him less dickish in F/Z than Nasu made him in F/SN VN. But he is nice overral anyway.

Also, Ea is probably the coolest weapon design of the Servants. You can't really beat that drill.

Apr 28, 2013 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:

I know, he is one of my favorite characters. I just feel odd to see that he is somewhat good guy depending the way to see him.

Well, Gen made him less dickish in F/Z than Nasu made him in F/SN VN. But he is nice overral anyway.

Also, Ea is probably the coolest weapon design of the Servants. You can't really beat that drill.
Since my memory on anime is still fresh maybe I will read Zero LN in future.
Apr 28, 2013 9:22 PM

Nov 2012
Kira Yoshikage
Man was he a strange villain with a strange fetish or so you can all it...
Apr 28, 2013 9:41 PM

Aug 2010
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:

Well, he is chaotic good after all.
Apr 28, 2013 9:43 PM

Jan 2013
Ragna92 said:
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:
012yArthur0 said:
NeoAnkara said:

Well, he is chaotic good after all.

Exactly. And this made alot of confusion for the fans, especially that he was nothing but a dick in the anime and in Fate/UBW route.

But you could see some side of his nice-guyish in HF.

Apr 28, 2013 9:46 PM

Dec 2012
Team Rocket.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 28, 2013 9:54 PM

Apr 2011
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

Isn't Pokemon a kids' anime?
Apr 28, 2013 9:54 PM
Jul 2018
Murumasa from Bleach. He was a serious and threatening bad guy, which is a nice change from the usual stuff Bleach has. He was dangerous, and he made many of the Soul Reapers weaker, appear broken, and put them in severe danger, nearly killing some members of the Soul Society.
Apr 28, 2013 10:00 PM

Nov 2010
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.
Apr 28, 2013 10:02 PM

Dec 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

I was actually kidding around, but I'll take that.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Apr 28, 2013 10:05 PM

Apr 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

My childhood was a lie. But seriously? Damn, I always though it was a kid's anime.
Apr 28, 2013 10:10 PM

Nov 2010
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

My childhood was a lie. But seriously? Damn, I always though it was a kid's anime.
Yeah you can check yourself. Though it is rated G for all ages.
Apr 28, 2013 10:16 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

Anyway they are different now and become more badass.
Apr 28, 2013 10:18 PM

Nov 2012
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

They're back to being the same, that only lasted for a few episodes...
Apr 28, 2013 10:22 PM

Mar 2012
Alexx_ said:
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

Alexx_ said:
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

Dunno how I feel about them when they change. Anyway DP just begun recently in my country so I will still observe them.
Apr 29, 2013 12:58 AM

Feb 2013
For me, it would have to be Ulquiorra from Bleach. Not only is his fight with Vasto Lorde Ichigo probably the best in the series in my opinion, but even though he was created by Aizen, he sought to seek out human emotion through Orihime. Ulquiorra was actually trying to gain an understanding, not just act as one of Aizens puppets, common to others such as Grimmjow and Nnoitora.

Also, his colour scheme of green and black, and his attitude of despair make him badass in my books ^.^
Apr 29, 2013 4:10 AM

May 2012
Holybaptiser said:
k11chi said:
012yArthur0 said:
lupadim said:
jimbob1141 said:
lupadim said:
After thinking a while: Yagami Light is not weak willed. He is NORMAL willed. But he is definitely not strong-willed and not even close to someone that is close to being close to being the best villain in anime history.

Mate you are fucking retarded, just because people say they would kill criminals doesn't mean they actually could. Killing someone would be enough to send most people insane. Light has a strong will. But anyway i cba arguing with you, i doubt it's possible, especially when you see blackbeards story as "kill someone, run away, make crew, starts shooting people"

KIlling sends most people insane?HAAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA You are living in the world of anime certainly, "fucking retarded"!

It's not being "fucking retarded", Lupadim. It's something easily called "common sense". It takes guts to kill someone unless their morality was made to be otherwise.

Death Note is not based on real world, it's a world with magical notebooks and shinigami. about the same as Bleach then
This is by far the worst argument you could ever make in regards to anything related to characters. It is an author's job to create realistic and relate-able characters by development through trails and tribulations in the story in which they are presented, regardless of setting or plot.

That being said, Light's character was developed properly, because of the heavy toll that murder brings on a human's conscience. He went from eradicating criminals to killing police officers in pursuit of him and eventually his own allies. It showed how far he had descended into madness through consistently murdering others. It was like, "once you kill a man, you might as well kill a dozen. It's all the same thing."
It's not argument, just stating the facts. Also Naruto has more development (about 50x) than Death Note so what?
Apr 29, 2013 8:30 AM

Jan 2013
k11chi said:
Holybaptiser said:
k11chi said:
012yArthur0 said:
lupadim said:
jimbob1141 said:
lupadim said:
After thinking a while: Yagami Light is not weak willed. He is NORMAL willed. But he is definitely not strong-willed and not even close to someone that is close to being close to being the best villain in anime history.

Mate you are fucking retarded, just because people say they would kill criminals doesn't mean they actually could. Killing someone would be enough to send most people insane. Light has a strong will. But anyway i cba arguing with you, i doubt it's possible, especially when you see blackbeards story as "kill someone, run away, make crew, starts shooting people"

KIlling sends most people insane?HAAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA You are living in the world of anime certainly, "fucking retarded"!

It's not being "fucking retarded", Lupadim. It's something easily called "common sense". It takes guts to kill someone unless their morality was made to be otherwise.

Death Note is not based on real world, it's a world with magical notebooks and shinigami. about the same as Bleach then
This is by far the worst argument you could ever make in regards to anything related to characters. It is an author's job to create realistic and relate-able characters by development through trails and tribulations in the story in which they are presented, regardless of setting or plot.

That being said, Light's character was developed properly, because of the heavy toll that murder brings on a human's conscience. He went from eradicating criminals to killing police officers in pursuit of him and eventually his own allies. It showed how far he had descended into madness through consistently murdering others. It was like, "once you kill a man, you might as well kill a dozen. It's all the same thing."
It's not argument, just stating the facts. Also Naruto has more development (about 50x) than Death Note so what?

Then your "facts" are wrong, my friend.

Apr 29, 2013 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
NeoAnkara said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yhunata said:
Jovoo said:
Team Rocket.

MAL says it's a shounen.

Rated G for Gary.

Seriously, he was the ace of the show back in the show.

Apr 29, 2013 8:32 AM

Feb 2012
Donflamingo, Akainu, Cell and Ulquirroa.
Apr 29, 2013 8:34 AM

Oct 2012
Byakuran from reborn!.. . Well, i think because he's pretty unique and has weird personality. XD
Apr 29, 2013 8:40 AM

Dec 2012
Serenity_776 said:
Byakuran from reborn!.. . Well, i think because he's pretty unique and has weird personality. XD

He seemed pretty motiveless though..
Apr 29, 2013 8:57 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
Serenity_776 said:

He wanted

Pretty damn good motive, if you ask me.
Apr 29, 2013 9:07 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:
tsudecimo said:
Serenity_776 said:

He wanted

Pretty damn good motive, if you ask me.

That's exactly why I found him motiveless and they never gave him a proper background from what I remember.
May 4, 2013 5:37 PM

Apr 2013
Hisoka from HxH and Tykki MIikk from DGM
May 15, 2013 12:19 AM
Apr 2013
ulquiorra & grimjaw
May 17, 2013 3:10 AM

Nov 2012
Why only shonen?
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
May 17, 2013 4:04 AM

Nov 2012
Griffith, he did worst things imaginable.
May 17, 2013 4:13 AM

Jun 2009
johnyjohny said:

I'll say the same thing I said the last time you posted him in this thread. Berserk isn't a shounen. It's a seinen.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 17, 2013 4:19 AM

Oct 2012
Aizen from Bleach
May 17, 2013 4:58 AM

Nov 2012
insan3soldiern said:
johnyjohny said:

I'll say the same thing I said the last time you posted him in this thread. Berserk isn't a shounen. It's a seinen.
Hmm? got the feeling you are a bit irritated,but okay. Knives from Trigun was pretty fucked up two. Never forget that rape face of his.
May 17, 2013 5:21 AM

May 2013
the playful, agile, psychopath Mockingbird
"I hate all of you." - Squidward
May 17, 2013 5:36 AM
Jul 2018
Orochimaru. Goes around experimenting and doesn't afraid of anything.
May 17, 2013 6:25 AM

Oct 2008
Neane1993 said:
Toguro the Younger is probably my favorite Shonen villain.

Yeah, I think Younger Toguro is probably my favorite shounen villain too.

I have other "villains" I like a little more, but I guess I can't count them because they do not remain villains.

Bleach Spoiler (for the couple of people who haven't seen the SS Arc)

Edit: Hisoka has the potential to become my favorite but I haven't seen enough of Hunter x Hunter yet to say his my fav yet.
n10sityMay 17, 2013 6:39 AM
May 17, 2013 6:29 AM

Oct 2011
Hisoka from HxH

May 17, 2013 6:45 AM

Sep 2012
Polychrome said:
Hisoka from HxH

May 17, 2013 6:53 AM

Nov 2012
Vandalyzm said:
Polychrome said:
Hisoka from HxH

May 17, 2013 7:04 AM

Apr 2011
Vandalyzm said:
Polychrome said:
Hisoka from HxH

May 17, 2013 7:18 AM
Feb 2013
Candor said:
Aizen, obviously.

What he said.
May 17, 2013 7:43 AM

May 2013
Candor said:
Aizen, obviously.
Feb 8, 2014 10:20 AM

Feb 2013
i'd have to go with raoh from fist of the north star-SSSSSOOOO BADASS AND MAAANNNRRRYYYY
Feb 8, 2014 10:27 AM

Jan 2014
Meruem
Genthru
Hisoka
Chrollo
Neferpitou

All from Hunter x Hunter, which has a really great set of villains

Zabuza from naruto
Bleachbeard from one piece, those are pretty cool as well.

Nnoitra from Bleach.

I think Toguro is overrated though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character you wish had never died?

kihel - 8 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
15 seconds ago

» The Weeb Chart

Shizuna - Yesterday

43 by ColourWheel »»
58 seconds ago

» Best anime.

GoldenCash - Yesterday

22 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
8 minutes ago

» Spring 2024: Anime of the Season (AOTS) & Discussion ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Jul 10

80 by pablown »»
23 minutes ago

» We're a little past halfway through the year. Top 10 so far? And bonus question ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Jul 13

56 by Rishon007 »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.