Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 24, 2012 2:32 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Wonderful chapter, Arneis is a character that needed a bit more development and it was handled in a good way.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 24, 2012 4:23 AM
Mar 2009
damn...nothing is happening since we learnt that the farm is going to be attack. Those chapters are pointless. I think that the author is stretching this manga a lot. We would be fine without Gardan - he will probably be freed by thorfinn, but one man can change nothing against the army.
robal15Mar 24, 2012 8:39 AM
Mar 24, 2012 8:31 AM

Feb 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

Wonderful chapter, Arneis is a character that needed a bit more development and it was handled in a good way.

Yep, considering her personalities, beliefs and past were rarely explored.
Mar 24, 2012 9:09 AM

Jul 2011
I'm getting tired of this. Everything began to go down after Askeladd's death. The story advances very very slowly and I miss those awesome fights. I hope they escape soon, maybe then it will turn interesting again.
Mar 24, 2012 2:06 PM

Aug 2007
This is all about building character development and it's being done beautifully. At the pace it's going though you might is well take a break for three years and come back to the story reminds me a bit of Berserk in this manner. The author takes his time building up characters and the plot. Keep in mind it's just chapter 81.
Mar 24, 2012 4:54 PM
Jul 2018
Loved the chapter. Arneis is one strong lady.
Mar 24, 2012 11:45 PM

Mar 2009
It's as if the past is doomed to repeat itself. Canute's getting ready to raze the farm. I hope Arneis and her unborn child both make it this time.

...then again, I might be overthinking things.
Mar 25, 2012 7:57 PM

Jul 2007
Damn, I wish this was a bi-monthly publication. Though, time is the sacrifice for high quality i guess.

Looks like things are going to get intense pretty soon. Can't wait to see how Thorfinn is going to react.
Mar 26, 2012 3:50 PM

Jul 2011
Yeah, it is true that the story follows the obvious path. He is building a complex situation and I like a lot how he use the "what will he do now that the vengeance he was searching cannot be accomplish?" argument. But still, I feel kinda tired of it. Nothing has happened since a year ago and I don't like at all the pacifist Thorfinn. It is just that Vinland Saga without vengeance and action is not Vinland Saga. Well, I suppose that action will begin soon, maybe I will get addicted again.
Jun 10, 2012 12:58 PM

Jan 2008
robal15 said:
damn...nothing is happening since we learnt that the farm is going to be attack. Those chapters are pointless. I think that the author is stretching this manga a lot. We would be fine without Gardan - he will probably be freed by thorfinn, but one man can change nothing against the army.

I shame I have to point this out, but Arneis' husband looks almost exactly like Thorfinn used to, thus the last few chapters are showing you a contrast in who he was and who he is now. He's also been taking an interest in the Bible.

Do you honestly expect him to go around killing people like a shonen hero? Drop the manga already.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 18, 2012 1:18 PM

Sep 2008
I liked the woman's perspective of war, what the innocents go through and how they see the reasons men give for going to war. Interesting chapter.

Like Beatnik pointed out, the contrast between Thorfinn and the husband is quite interesting. That is what Thorfinn could have been if he had not accepted his past, filled with raging blood-lust and whatnot
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 17, 2013 8:44 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Good chapter this one. The contrast between the life of war or peace is being put front and center if everything.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 4, 2013 4:42 AM

Jun 2008
Very emotional chapter and it raises strong feelings. I think people finding it boring lack empathy. Personally i was disrupt by the ugly whims of fate.

Mormegil said:
It's as if the past is doomed to repeat itself. Canute's getting ready to raze the farm. I hope Arneis and her unborn child both make it this time.

...then again, I might be overthinking things.

I think they might not make it and that may be the trigger for Thorfinn to forget his Jesus mentality and try to go against Canute.

Neizaru said:

How will Thorfinns and Arneis pacifistic-passive aggression ideology will work out against Canute? Something to look forward to.

It can't work. Being a pacifist and all is nice but if you do nothing against those who use violence against you then you will just be their victim. And when his father told him that he has no enemies he was right because no one was trying to ruin his life, he went to the battlefield by himself. But Canute will bring the battlefield to him. Canute is definitely an enemy that wants to destroy his peace.
Feb 17, 2016 10:01 PM

Dec 2013
It's nice to see that she's getting some actual development.
Dec 9, 2019 5:08 PM

Nov 2016
Really glad that Arneis is getting more fleshed out. It's a tragedy what happened to her family, but unfortunately these things happened on a daily basis.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 211 Discussion

panpakez - May 26

18 by Farabeuf »»
Jun 1, 3:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 210 Discussion

RodIshiCi - Apr 27

27 by demetrioWTF »»
May 26, 6:18 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 170 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2020

15 by Messi_10GOAT »»
May 13, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 103 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2014

9 by AceGeek »»
May 2, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 100 Discussion

TAK3Z0 - Dec 22, 2013

45 by AceGeek »»
May 1, 11:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.