Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Feb 9, 2011 11:58 AM

Jun 2009
I'm one of those adults now D:
Feb 9, 2011 12:20 PM
Apr 2008
Metroid said:
holy shit you are so dumb.

It's a shonen manga directed towards a shonen demographic which are young BOYS. Themes aren't deep or complex and the world of One Piece is moreso black-white GOVERNMENT IS EVIL kind of stuff and most if not all characters are 2 dimensional.
You should read it first, and then try saying that again.
OP has a lot of depth. as far as I'm concerned op doesn't need any complex out of the ass world or story. The beauty of op is it's simplicity and unrestricted imagination.
So what if it's a shounen manga directed towards kids?! it has many values that maybe you should learn.
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:24 AM
Feb 9, 2011 12:32 PM
Apr 2009
ShaunG said:
Not surprising, every person who've kept reading one piece from the start in his teenage days, is now 12 years older...

I'm not a fan but you're exactly right about that. It's similar to those of us who grew up on Dragonball/Z in our teens and now we're on our twenties as pointed out by Sean Schemmel and Christopher Sabat. And we still love it. I'm not surprised this happened to One Piece.
Feb 9, 2011 12:41 PM

Sep 2009
Metroid said:
holy shit you are so dumb.

It's a shonen manga directed towards a shonen demographic which are young BOYS. Themes aren't deep or complex and the world of One Piece is moreso black-white GOVERNMENT IS EVIL kind of stuff and most if not all characters are 2 dimensional.
Holy shit you are so dumb.

You're statement is an childish statement masqueraded as mature. The thoughts aren't well thought out and the research levels are two dimensional.

It's definitely for Children, but it's definitely not anything else you just said.
Duane and Polutiontearman would be ashamed of such closed minded and childish behavior.
Feb 9, 2011 12:42 PM

Nov 2007
qu1eet said:
OP has a lot of depth. as far as I'm concerned op doesn't need any complex out of the ass world or story. The beauty of op is it's simplicity and unrestricted imagination.
So what if it's a shounen manga directed towards kids?! it has many values that maybe you should learn.
Maybe if you'd check my manga list you'd know I am.
Feb 9, 2011 12:54 PM

Mar 2009
I'm not surprised by this. I used to talk about talk about it all the time with a colleague of mine who watched the anime with her family. A lot of the students I taught read it too, though they would be about 16 - 18 by now. It really is a series you can enjoy at any age.
Feb 9, 2011 1:17 PM
May 2008
qu1eet said:

Sabinlerose said:

You're statement is an childish statement masqueraded as mature. The thoughts aren't well thought out and the research levels are two dimensional.

It's definitely for Children, but it's definitely not anything else you just said.
Duane and Polutiontearman would be ashamed of such closed minded and childish behavior.

Enlighten me on how OP has depth, please, do tell.
XaroxFeb 9, 2011 1:23 PM
Feb 9, 2011 1:20 PM
Jun 2008
Not surprising considering that if many of the readership started following the series when they were 10 years old, they'd all be adults now.
Feb 9, 2011 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
Rofl guys, just tell me one person who started this at 10 years or 12 years ? XD

at that age this anime would feel like shit for kids and stuff

Everybody would've dropped it at the beginning..

i'd say more than 50% readers started from the middle of the manga ( where it didnt seemed like a generic shounen anymore)

myth720 said:
I I want to watch & read it but the length intimidates me >_>

there is something called M-A-N-G-A..
takes 1000% less time to catch up and its the original material (not the anime adaptation which is not meant to be better)
Feb 9, 2011 1:41 PM

Apr 2009
tehnominator said:
Not surprising considering that if many of the readership started following the series when they were 10 years old, they'd all be adults now.

onepiece wasnt popular at the beginning.. it was generic at first

the 'popularity' started to grow around 2007 ( after couple of years)

thats when the majority of the readers started to get interested in the manga..since it was nothing like a generic shounen anymore..
Feb 9, 2011 1:47 PM

Aug 2008
But I am not an adult! :D
ah but, I don't really read the manga hehe
Feb 9, 2011 2:00 PM

Oct 2007
I thought this was already well known?
Feb 9, 2011 2:00 PM
Apr 2008
What I’m trying to say here is that one piece has a very rich content in terms of message. Now if you get it or not, it's going to depend on your maturity.
the depth of doesn't reflect in engaging fights or politics or whatever.
it's what you get from reading it. that's the depth.
but i guess that how u smart asses are...
Feb 9, 2011 2:05 PM
Mar 2010
According to Bakuman, the average reader's age of Shounen Jump is over 18. Or something like that. Not too surprising, other than the fact that more >50 year olds read OP than 1-18 year olds.
Feb 9, 2011 2:11 PM

Apr 2008
Wow! let's go 20-30s!
Feb 9, 2011 2:20 PM

Jan 2010
well one piece is publishing like 14 years already
Feb 9, 2011 2:23 PM
Oct 2009
Sure, I've also started watching Pokemon a long time ago, so that doesn't mean anything... Ok, I always end up checking the movies because of my friend, but let's get back to the topic. Certainly most of these adults started reading One Piece early, however, it's important that they *kept* on reading and didn't discard it after growing up. Now do you get what I'm saying by "not a child's stuff"? If that was the case, we wouldn't be seeing these statistics, although it IS intended for younger audiences. Anyone would be ridiculous claiming otherwise, but it doesn't prevent mature readers from liking.
Feb 9, 2011 2:25 PM

Feb 2010
The percentage of adults reading is not overly surprising, but I can't believe how many >50s there are XD

Feb 9, 2011 2:27 PM

Feb 2008
"The program concluded that the relationship of mutual trust among the characters attracts the grown-ups, who have been exhausted with the economic recession."

While it is true that many people who read one piece started it when they were young, the statement in quotations above should not be immediately thrown out the window.

Captain-Z said:
You know that explains why all OP fans feel their smart when they praise this but diss the other shounen.

I'm going to have to stop you right there, Captain Z. From your post I can infer that what you meant is that "Because OP fans know the readers are older they think they're smart, and "diss" other shonen's because of this illusory intelligence. If it's not obvious from the italics, your theory completely depends on the fact that somehow, OP fans knew the majority age of its readers before this poll was done. Last time I checked, OP readers weren't so advance in quantum physics that they were capable of jumping through time, but what do I know, I can't possibly imagine the private life of every last person who reads or watches the series.

I can, however imagine, and even state without a doubt that OP fans, myself included, aren't in the wrong for dissing other shonen. Why, you may ask? It's simple. As a demographic, anything that is shonen incorporates a multitude of tropes, that will be used to death. These tropes are so apparent that they could easily be called Deus ex machina, and in some shonen they are in fact such dubious devices. What makes One Piece, and other shonen that I have praised, good, is that despite these tropes,they bring something more to the table. Despite the flaws that everything has, the quality of the series overwhelm them enough to make it enjoyable.

Since they are usually spoken of in the same breath as One Piece, I'll use Naruto and Bleach in contrast.

For Naruto, while the story isn't ridiculously bad and the characters are interesting, the plot hardly focuses on anyone besides the titular character and Sasuke. Moments that could have been used to develop the other characters more, end up being wasted on something the more analytical reader has grown weary of seeing. If that isn't bad enough, the female characters really get the bad end of the deal. The whole conflict between Sakura and Ino was that they're friendship ended over a boy, hormonal girls who couldn't put their friendship before a boy who had no interest in either of them this could be begrudgingly forgiven, if other female characters actually got any development.

Bleach on the other hand, often has nothing to redeem itself. While okay at the beginning, it soon entered a spiraling descent in disappointment, and only continued downward for there. It's not impossible to write a story that has a lot of characters, but in the case of bleach the amount of them is a detractor. The main characters outside of Ichigo get only a few chapters of attention, while the rest is thrown into the soul society who already take up too much screen time. The second detractor of this series is that it has horrible pacing, that never goes anywhere. A good example of this is the fact that despite it's 435 current chapters, there have only been three major arcs, two of which were fundamentally the same thing. Compare that to OP which at chapter 400 had already finished more than five arcs.

Bleach and Naruto aren't the only series out there with bad quality, and likewise, One Piece isn't the only shonen would good quality. Alive the final evolution, Full metal Alchemist, both of these have trope common in shonen manga but despite that, they are well written.
DamonashuFeb 9, 2011 2:33 PM
Feb 9, 2011 2:35 PM

Nov 2010
From everything i hear i should love one piece, so did i find it so unwatchable?
Feb 9, 2011 2:42 PM

Apr 2009
ShadowGilgamesh said:
From everything i hear i should love one piece, so did i find it so unwatchable?

em dude, 1998, horrible animation/quality. etc. (ofc everyone will get turned off seeing nowadays animation quality)
read the original source aka Manga.
Feb 9, 2011 2:54 PM

Aug 2010
OrochiPL said:
Lol, there's even more >50 poeple than 1-18.

this suprised me XD
Feb 9, 2011 3:44 PM

Jul 2009
Sabinlerose said:

Once again One Piece fans prove themselves snobbish elitists unwilling to consider a different opinion. If you like One Piece, chill no one cares, if you don't INTERNET HATE MACHINE. Seriously.

I like One Piece very much, but statements like TRY TO CALL MY ANIME FOR KIDS NOW are just plain stupid. One Piece will forever be a shonen and never a seinen. No matter what you argue, that's the goddamn genre it is.
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:22 AM
Feb 9, 2011 3:49 PM

Jun 2009
think how long it's been going?

also look at how old the chacters in it are aswell
Feb 9, 2011 4:03 PM

Feb 2008
Detective said:
Once again One Piece fans prove themselves snobbish elitists unwilling to consider a different opinion. If you like One Piece, chill no one cares, if you don't INTERNET HATE MACHINE. Seriously.

I like One Piece very much, but statements like TRY TO CALL MY ANIME FOR KIDS NOW are just plain stupid. One Piece will forever be a shonen and never a seinen. No matter what you argue, that's the goddamn genre it is.
Objection. One Piece fans don't stand alone in such stubbornness. Behavior such as that, while immature, is human regardless of the fandom. Besides that, not all One Piece fans are "elitist" as you claim. You even (arguably) proved that yourself.

It's not the fact that those who are "elitist" can't accept opinion, it's the fact that the opinion given is more oft than not, given by someone who has never read or watched it. Essentially, accepting it would be like accepting a review that starts with "I never read/watch X myself but..."
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:22 AM
Feb 9, 2011 5:14 PM

Apr 2009
Damonashu said:

It's not the fact that those who are "elitist" can't accept opinion, it's the fact that the opinion given is more oft than not, given by someone who has never read or watched it. Essentially, accepting it would be like accepting a review that starts with "I never read/watch X myself but..."

That is actually an interesting point you amade there. I have nothing against criticism, in fact I think the war saga was very underwhelming, but most of the critic I receive is from guys who mostly have read only one of the so-called "Big 3". While this is ok, I think accepting the opnion, or rather counter-argument, of people with larger manga track-records would mean a loss of face to these people.

It's like talking about how great a planet the sun is in classroom when suddenly the teacher comes in and corrects you before the whole class.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 9, 2011 5:15 PM

Jul 2009
Damonashu said:
Objection. One Piece fans don't stand alone in such stubbornness. Behavior such as that, while immature, is human regardless of the fandom. Besides that, not all One Piece fans are "elitist" as you claim. You even (arguably) proved that yourself.

I don't have any statistics to support my data, but I hear things like "My anime is infallibly great on all accounts" much more frequently when it comes to One Piece than nearly any other anime/manga (with the exception of maybe Fullmetal Alchemist which is it's own separate fanbase shenanigans). I don't try to say my anime is superior to x, but a fair amount of people who read/watch One Piece that I've encountered online (especially websites like MAL and 4chan's /a/) and offline will start a thread or discussion by saying "Hell this is better than anything else am I right or am I right?!" and I think it occurs so very often when talking to a OP fan that it's become the defining characteristic in OP fans. I know quite a few OP fans who don't do this, but still the amount of people who feel the need to exert their opinion on why OP is the best anime EVAR outweighs the opposite faction and comments that perpetuate these mindless "OP IS THE BEST" "NO OP IS THE WORST" discussions ought to be deleted or better yet not even said.

If you're talking about people who slam it without even reading it or watching it then completely disregard what they're saying as they are most likely trolls, but people like Metroid who have made it clear that they have read the manga and hold a substantial knowledge on it shouldn't have to be subjected to such inane "well no actually your opinion is wrong" treatment. My point was that One Piece fans are often quite narrow minded by generality, and I really wish that that view would be removed because of such users like yourself, Metroid, myself, and many others and so on who don't do this don't deserve to be grouped with those who do.

tl;dr moral of the story is just mind what you say because saying stupid things makes you and other fans look bad (here's to you, Tomah) when it's unnecessary
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:23 AM
Feb 9, 2011 5:35 PM

Apr 2009
Detective said:

I don't have any statistics to support my data, but I hear things like "My anime is infallibly great on all accounts" much more frequently when it comes to One Piece than nearly any other anime/manga (with the exception of maybe Fullmetal Alchemist which is it's own separate fanbase shenanigans). I don't try to say my anime is superior to x, but a fair amount of people who read/watch One Piece that I've encountered online (especially websites like MAL and 4chan's /a/) and offline will start a thread or discussion by saying "Hell this is better than anything else am I right or am I right?!" and I think it occurs so very often when talking to a OP fan that it's become the defining characteristic in OP fans. I know quite a few OP fans who don't do this, but still the amount of people who feel the need to exert their opinion on why OP is the best anime EVAR outweighs the opposite faction and comments that perpetuate these mindless "OP IS THE BEST" "NO OP IS THE WORST" discussions ought to be hit in the head.

If you're talking about people who slam it without even reading it or watching it then completely disregard what they're saying as they are most likely trolls, but people like Metroid made it clear that they have read the manga and hold a substantial knowledge on it shouldn't have to be subjected to such inane "well no actually you're opinion is wrong" treatment. My point was that One Piece fans are often quite narrow minded by generality, and I really wish that that view would be removed because such users like yourself, Metroid, myself and so on don't deserve to be grouped with them.

tl;dr moral of the story is just mind what you say because saying stupid things makes you and other fans look bad (here's to you, Tomah) when it's unnecessary

As expected of a Code Geass fanboy, the whoile fanbase consists of people who like shitty generic mecha with senseless plottwists. Seriously why are even on MAL? Go back to your shitty fanforum.

/sarcasm.

See, I, too, can oversimplify statements to prove my argument.
I have my own thoughts about this matter, but it's really here so I'll make it short. We can continue per Pm if you like, anyway.

One Piece is a very decent Shounen, one could even say that it is one of the best current running Shounen in Weekly Shounen Jump. That doesn't imply that there aren't better Shounen in other magazines, nor that it is the saviour of all manga of all time forever like some douchebags seem to believe.
It is however something I would call "baby's first good manga": One of those mangas where a relative new manga reader is sucked in and - naturally - thinks it's the best damn thing on the whole world for a certain amount of time. Remember when you discovered your first "real" band? Boy, you sure thought that there were no better musicians, right?
But after a while you discover that there are other, great musicians/manga out there and that your manga/band, while being extremly good/special in a certain genre does not equivalent being "teh best!111eleven" in generel. Such a term is utopian by nature.

The problem is that, like every other genre/media/book series/whatever, the vocal minority represents the mayor published opinion. Just like with newspapers, a small group of individuals encompassing the whole spectre of opinions on a certain theme - or at least the percepted spectre of the average reader. Each good series/manga has it. We have rabid Berserk fanboys, Baccano fanatics, not to mention the FMA or HxH crowd. However, OP dwarfs those in numbers so it's obvious that you will hear from them much more than say, your average Miura fanatic. Add to this the following facts:

- a bad localized dub (4kids) led to a large amount of prejudice on both sides of the discussion about the childish aspects of the series and - ultimately - the sries itself
- the great success of One Piece in Japan as well as parts of Asia and Europe (Scandinavia, Germany, France) provide a themirror through internet, further fortifying existing problems
- One Piece has, unlike other anime, a rather western and slow exposition while using Vonnegut’s 8 Rules For Writing in different, yet very effective ways
- most people who actually read manga in the west are rather young and have an entirely different conception of what manga/comics in general are about than the Japanese
- the problems I mentioned in my post above this one (and yours)

And you got a rough sketch of the dormant problems of this argument.
Also: /a/ is pretty cool about One Piece as it shares a lot of characteristics with other fanbases and is generally accepted there (Nice example for a thread I found today: http://green-oval.net/cgi-board.pl/a/thread/45762972), while MAL is..well...MAL.
Feb 9, 2011 6:06 PM

Oct 2007
HAHAHA Why even argue against others about One Piece being mature, immature, or not xD

It's like a very mature shounen manga that's not even seinen xD

It's like Death Note should be seinen but it's truly shonen xD
Feb 9, 2011 6:14 PM

Jul 2009
Spoiler'd for justice.

I don't really disagree with you on anything you say. That thread you linked though just showed the two extreme's again, HATERS HATING and One Piece fans simply running into the thread, yelling TOLD YA SO, and then leaving. That thread, luckily, showed a third party for a little bit in the middle though, but towards the end became more of a "NAMI IS SO HAWT / ODA IS GOD" thread. The manga has matured along with it's readers needless to say, but One Piece still strongly remains a shonen manga with often cliche shonen elements (fight bad guys until you win, NAKAMA, power ups, training arcs, etc), and that's not bad, but it isn't a seinen. Even if everyone who read it were sixty five years old, One Piece is a shonen through and through. The age of the people who read One Piece has little to nothing to do with the content of One Piece.

It's just that now that this statistic exists, it will be repeatedly abused and shoved in peoples faces as the single most powerful reason as to why OP isn't for children ergo isn't bad ergo is good ergo is better than X ergo is the best. I understand that there are a large amount of One Piece fans (and that many western ones are very young) but it's that you often receive snarky, rude, or trite responses from those whom you disagree with on One Piece. This goes out to the haters too, which are usually just as bad.

I guess I'm just sick of the arrogance of the fanbase. I know other fanbases suffer from the same exact problem, but all I meant with my posts was that One Piece seemingly has the fanboy-elitist as it's number one groupee, which ends up making the anime/manga itself look bad for having such obnoxious readers.
DetectiveFeb 9, 2011 6:18 PM
Feb 9, 2011 6:33 PM

Apr 2009

So we agree that vocal minorityequals the mayor published opinion?
Anyway, I never said that OP was a Seinen, it's still published in WSJ after all. However, reducing Shounen to the fighting trope isn't good either. We have all kinds of very mature manga who are classified as Shounen. Deadman Wonderland, Yotsuba&, Hokuto No Ken, etc. don't fit the modern definition of Shounen as in "fighting adeventure manga" most people seem to conceptualize in their heads right now, yet they still are Shounen.

However, this chart and several other charts that surfaced on the topic of One Piece demographics allow us to analyze the fandom of a series more than we could have ever hoped (and wanted?) for - with all the pros and cons of it. To me, it represents the fact that youc an enjoy OP regardless of age. Nothing more, and nothing less. If that is a criteria for a good manga, that's up to your personal opinion.

P.S.:
On the /a/ thread: Of course it would degrade into spam at th end/the beginning. After all, trolls and fanboys are the only ones with enough dedication to stay through this til the very end.
I also had a very nice conversation about the different arcs of OP a few days ago there, turns out that some anons are strongly supporting the Alabasta/Skypeia writing-style and are pretty reluctant towards the whole war. It was very interesting. I never get those kind of conversations on normal forums, though. Well, most normal forums are hosting hordes of kids anyway.
NidhoeggrFeb 9, 2011 6:52 PM
Feb 9, 2011 6:51 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This makes sense. It explains why OP always tops the sales. The buying power of adults >>> buying power of children and teenagers
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Feb 9, 2011 6:54 PM

Apr 2009
wakka9ca said:
This makes sense. It explains why OP always tops the sales. The buying power of adults >>> buying power of children and teenagers

I beg to differ. It's Japan we are talking about, the culture of reading comics/manga is entirely different and is certainly not a good object for over-simplifications. There are also statistics of Top 10 Manga through various age groups showing that all kinds of manga can be popular. Blaming it on the demographic alone is biased reasoning.
Feb 9, 2011 6:56 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty sad since the fan base can at times act quite childish when defending their series.
Feb 9, 2011 7:04 PM

Apr 2009
cjkira99 said:
Pretty sad since the fan base can at times act quite childish when defending their series.

Please read the past few pages before dropping of such an oversimplyfied comment. That takes us back to the beginning of the discussion, which is a shame as it provided zero ground for a reasonable understanding of the problem.

Let us not forget that this is a Japanese statistic.
Feb 9, 2011 7:49 PM

Nov 2009
Im not really surprized by this results.

I started reading manga few years ago and I prefer mostly seinen manga but for some "wierd" reason One Piece is one of my favorite manga, although its considered by many ppl as a generic shounen series but It got that seinen feel to me. It really stands out from every shounen I've read so far .

One Piece started as a decent but not great series but is consistently getting better and better over time while most shounen series start good/great and with time just getting worse or in some cases just turn into pile of shit .. for example Bleach.
Feb 9, 2011 8:30 PM

Sep 2009
Detective said:

Assumptions are bad.

I haven't ever read One Piece and have only seen the first episode.
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:21 AM
Feb 9, 2011 9:20 PM

Sep 2009
B-chan911 said:
Wow, that's really surprising. I always thought One Piece attracted more kids than adults...

It does, but the kids that started watching it whenever it came out still keep up with it. Just over a decade has passed. :-)
Feb 9, 2011 11:33 PM

Mar 2009
Oh wow, I didn't expect that. I've always thought that most OP readers were teenagers.
Feb 9, 2011 11:55 PM

May 2010
I'm not surprised, a lot of the shows that come out these days are garbage. do a survey on Naruto, It'll be the opposite obviously, kids under the age of 13 would dominate, anyone older is just simply retarded. Naruto is shit.
Feb 10, 2011 12:02 AM

Dec 2009
ShaunG said:
Not surprising, every person who've kept reading one piece from the start in his teenage days, is now 12 years older...

That explains alot
Feb 10, 2011 12:11 AM

Sep 2010
This is both surprising and expected; I didn't think there's so many older fans (I mean 50+ people). 12% for younger than 18 makes sense though, they aren't interested in catching up with old manga/anime with so many chapters/episodes.
Feb 10, 2011 12:45 AM

Apr 2009
Detective said:
but One Piece still strongly remains a shonen manga with often cliche shonen elements (fight bad guys until you win, NAKAMA, power ups, training arcs, etc)

this just shows how ignorant some bitches are and how Trolls are born..

on ALL entire 600 chapters only ONE training arc was ( and that also skipped)
only 2 powerups ( not like bleach, over 5 or 6 i dont even remember )
and the NAKAMA thing was only at the beginning..

so stop trolling and stop provoking us..

i dont even understand why little kids who DIDNT even read the show are writing stuff on forums?
ugh
Feb 10, 2011 1:13 AM
Oct 2009
Detective said:

I don't have any statistics to support my data, but I hear things like "My anime is infallibly great on all accounts" much more frequently when it comes to One Piece than nearly any other anime/manga (with the exception of maybe Fullmetal Alchemist which is it's own separate fanbase shenanigans). I don't try to say my anime is superior to x, but a fair amount of people who read/watch One Piece that I've encountered online (especially websites like MAL and 4chan's /a/) and offline will start a thread or discussion by saying "Hell this is better than anything else am I right or am I right?!" and I think it occurs so very often when talking to a OP fan that it's become the defining characteristic in OP fans. I know quite a few OP fans who don't do this, but still the amount of people who feel the need to exert their opinion on why OP is the best anime EVAR outweighs the opposite faction and comments that perpetuate these mindless "OP IS THE BEST" "NO OP IS THE WORST" discussions ought to be deleted or better yet not even said.

If you're talking about people who slam it without even reading it or watching it then completely disregard what they're saying as they are most likely trolls, but people like Metroid who have made it clear that they have read the manga and hold a substantial knowledge on it shouldn't have to be subjected to such inane "well no actually your opinion is wrong" treatment. My point was that One Piece fans are often quite narrow minded by generality, and I really wish that that view would be removed because of such users like yourself, Metroid, myself, and many others and so on who don't do this don't deserve to be grouped with those who do.

Hang in there partner, no need for personal offenses since we are just talking about opinions, you know? I consider One Piece to be the most overrated manga in history, so don't go judging others like this based on a statement. If you've got a trouble with it, do like any civilized person and show your arguments. If you haven't read my other post, it is obvious that One Piece is aimed at younger audiences, but that doesn't prevent adults from enjoying. So saying that One Piece is limited to children is also being narrow-minded.
Feb 10, 2011 1:25 AM

Jun 2009
Well that's to be expected. OP has been running for years, so anyone who was a teenager when it started is now grown up. Pretty simple logic.
Feb 10, 2011 1:29 AM

Aug 2009
BTW, I'm not sure if somebody's already mentioned this, but the programme 'Today's Close-Up' also broadcasts in English on NHK World. So if you really wanted to see this, then it will probably be airing in the next couple of days, if it hasn't already. If you don't get NHK World on your TV, you can watch it online here

I don't think anybody's really surprised that a large majority are adults.
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Feb 10, 2011 2:35 AM

Jun 2009
oh...five pages of one piece lovers and haters.

I'll say that poll if full of 18-21 year olds. like other people already pointed it out, they started out young reading and keep reading when they turned adults.

I myself had seen one piece and for the life of me I can not see why its so popular.

I say MAL should do their own poll, add age and how long they been a fan of anime/manga. I predict that young first time people will rank the highest. While older, longer time fans would rank in the lowest part.

thats my 2 cents.
Feb 10, 2011 3:12 AM

Nov 2007
smokes said:
this just shows how ignorant some bitches are and how Trolls are born..

on ALL entire 600 chapters only ONE training arc was ( and that also skipped)
only 2 powerups ( not like bleach, over 5 or 6 i dont even remember )
and the NAKAMA thing was only at the beginning..

so stop trolling and stop provoking us..

i dont even understand why little kids who DIDNT even read the show are writing stuff on forums?
ugh
Golden Pistol, Gear 2, Gear 3, Nightmare Luffy, Candleman Luffy and Haki. I'm counting 6 upgrades Luffy got and used, regardless if they're temporary.
Nakama thing is only at the beginning? Really? Then why was Luffy blubbering about how he couldn't protect his nakama back at Archipelo?

And by us, do you mean One Piece fanboys?
desolatoFeb 10, 2011 4:21 AM
Feb 10, 2011 4:31 AM

Apr 2009
^wow dude font embarres yourself please.. You dont even know the difference between powerups and random shit luffys doing.. just for humor..(check bleach if you font know what powerups means)
I meant about the saving nakama Stuff..it was only when he starter to' gather the crewmwmbers...Now they Are just going to new world sincero they are full..thougb i do want a mermaid crewmwmber xD
Feb 10, 2011 4:49 AM

Apr 2009
And as usual, a good discussion gets ruined by idiots who think that biased reasoning somehow equals facts.

Thanks Metroid, smokes, echoshadow, etc.
You are everything that is wrong with anime communities.
NidhoeggrFeb 10, 2011 4:53 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tongari Boushi no Atelier' Reveals Main Staff, Teaser Promo for 2025

Hyperion_PS - 54 minutes ago

3 by ZXEAN »»
24 minutes ago

» 'New Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt' Unveils Main Staff

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

8 by Galletita »»
1 hour ago

» 'Douse, Koishite Shimaunda.' Unveils Main Cast, Teaser Promo for Winter 2025

Hyperion_PS - Jul 2

12 by BlondieLottie »»
1 hour ago

» 'Guilty Gear Strive: Dual Rulers' Unveils Main Cast, Teaser Promo, 2025 Premiere

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

1 by deg »»
4 hours ago

» 'Fureru.' Reveals Main Cast, Additional Staff, Theme Song, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.