Forum Settings
Forums

Why are there so few if any space sci-fi isekai ?

New
Jun 27, 9:15 AM

May 2019
Like instead of reincarnating in the usual pseudo-fantasy world, the setting would be more science finction with advanced alien technologies, spaceships, laser swords, laser gun, mechas, etc. the only 2 anime that are kinda like what i'm talking about are Visons of Escaflowne, Aura Battler Dunbine. It seems to me like a very useful to setting to break the monotony of the overstauration of the fantasy isekai genre.

Jun 27, 9:20 AM

Jul 2013
Well it hasn't become an anime yet. There's Reborn as Space Merchant if that's what you want

Jun 27, 9:31 AM

Sep 2016
Because people getting isekai'ed into space wouldn't survive for long.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 27, 10:53 AM

Feb 2016
Dunbine is also the usual pseudo-fantasy world. The only innovation is the addition of mecha, which was as ubiquitous in the 80s as isekai is now.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 10:58 AM

May 2019
Reply to Lucifrost
Dunbine is also the usual pseudo-fantasy world. The only innovation is the addition of mecha, which was as ubiquitous in the 80s as isekai is now.
@Lucifrost yes that's true, so that makes escaflowne the only sci-fi isekai ?
Jun 27, 11:27 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to tchitchouan
@Lucifrost yes that's true, so that makes escaflowne the only sci-fi isekai ?
@tchitchouan
I also count Now and Then, Here and There.
その目だれの目?
Jun 27, 11:28 AM

Jul 2013
Because there is no demand for it. Simple as that.
Jun 27, 11:29 AM

May 2019
Reply to Lucifrost
@tchitchouan
I also count Now and Then, Here and There.
@Lucifrost yes i can see that being true.

@DesuMaiden Before 2012, there wasn't much demand for regular isekai either, but they managed to create demand, it only take one show to explode in popularity for others to try and copy it.
Jun 27, 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know, but I do wish there were more anime like The Vision of Escaflowne.
Jun 27, 11:35 AM
Feb 2017
Was Visons of Escaflowne really sci-fi, I have it mentally stored as having a fantasy setting? Although I must confess that I mostly remember the noses.
Jun 27, 11:40 AM

May 2019
Reply to CapnOdin
Was Visons of Escaflowne really sci-fi, I have it mentally stored as having a fantasy setting? Although I must confess that I mostly remember the noses.
@CapnOdin OH YEAH, the pinocchio noses were very funny but gave the anime a very distinct visual identity and you're right the universe is scifi but the places the characters live in are very fantastical so it's a mix of both.

Jun 27, 12:10 PM

Oct 2013
Because they've forgotten "another world" can mean literally anything different from ours. Hell, even the fantasy aspect could be less stale if they didn't almost always stick to the exact same fantasy tropes with these newer series. But they know horny nerds like elves and catgirls. They know people are familiar with things like goblins. They know rpg leveling systems are an easy way to show growth. So why change?

This is why I can't wait for Tanya to come back.
FanofActionJun 27, 12:14 PM
Jun 27, 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
It's way, way easier to be lazy and to just follow the well-known pattern of making a generic harem isekai in a medieval setting. Sci-fi, or even space opera stuff, would require more finesse and care done to the worldbuilding.
Jun 27, 1:50 PM
Apr 2024
Digimon is considered one suprisingly enough, so if it means more stuff like digimon I would like
Jun 27, 2:25 PM
Feb 2017
I had a look through the anime I have seen. Here are the few sci-fi isekais I found.

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku, half the runtime of each episode is great the other half I did not like (8/10).
Maze☆Bakunetsu Jikuu, it is another mostly fantasy isekai but towards the end it turns a bit sci-fi (10/10).
Kiba, starts out sci-fi then the protagonist gets isekaied to a fantasy world (7/10).
Dragon Drive, the other world is mostly fantasy but has some interaction with our world though technology (6/10).
Capricorn, to be honest I don't remember what part of it is sci-fi but the tags state that it is (6/10).
Genmu Senki Leda, it has some decent robot designs, I especially like the scooter (6/10).
Tsubasa Chronicle, I don't really remember if they ever travel to a sci-fi world but they get through quite a few different ones so maybe (I never rated this one).
Jun 27, 2:50 PM

May 2018
"Why are there so few if any space sci-fi isekai ?"

Because those require a lot of effort, planning and money...and what the producers like in isekai are such titles which can be done with as little effort as possible.
Jun 27, 3:04 PM

Jun 2016
Because when the video game based isekai plague started everyone just ripped off JRPGs which tend to take place your average european fantasy world
>inb4 not all JRPGs
and after that everyone just ripped of these series
The series mentioned by OP don't incorporate video games elements and also one of them was written by Tomino who I doubt even plays JRPGs.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 27, 9:04 PM
May 2012
I think the idea of ​​isekai is a fantasy of those who are tired of their life and would like to take refuge in a fantasy video game where they then manage to succeed and be someone important and strong and think "what would it be like to live in a fantasy RPG or MMORPG?"
Then comes death and rebirth, revenge, starting over, the road to become successful.
There is no nostalgia for space, space is death, in space there are horrors of which you are unaware, life is born and develops on the planets. All that man knows are the woods, mountains, rivers and the sea which are his habitat. There are enough complications on earth to think about space complications. The isekai audience want to relax and having a great time not get stressed.
Satisfying an audience that loves fantasy is much easier than satisfying an audience that loves sci-fi, the latter also requires a lot more work and skill in narrative and design. So if you like space sci-fi there is no need to reborn because you are space traveling and landing somewhere alien you know nothing about already.
Jun 27, 9:12 PM

Oct 2019
Because all isekai shows just duplicate like disease and only slightly alter everything else they see, and there isn't a hugely popular modern sci-fi isekai that they can copy.

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 27, 10:02 PM

Mar 2008
Because they are basing isekai on RPG dynamics most the time and hinges on the idea of a world actually enjoyable to live in. Though I do wonder why they dont say for example use an alternate timeline for getting into a steampunk or solarpunk world for example cant be cyberpunk because that is just our normal world.
Yesterday, 12:41 AM

Jun 2024
You know, I've always had that thought in the back of my mind. Why isn't that more popular? Imagine being isekaied into the future, there's so much potential. Why is it always isekai into some medieval fantasy?

Unless there are futuristic isekai shows that are worth watching that I'm unaware of...
Yesterday, 9:53 AM

Feb 2016
@APolygons2 @traed
Instead of copying the usual fantasy RPG, we do have a moderately popular Space RPG they can copy.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/31223/Phantasy_Star_Online_2_The_Animation
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39506/Phantasy_Star_Online_2__Episode_Oracle
その目だれの目?
Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Mar 2023
I really don't want to see isekai rape the space opeara genre like it did with high fantasy.
Yesterday, 5:47 PM

Aug 2022
Isn't a series such as Stargate SG-1 technically an isekai?

One of my guesses would be that lot of Japanese light novel authors did not grow up as sci-fi fans. Or that they seem to be mostly into JRPG/MMO games instead of games with a space setting.

Probably executives are seeing the lack of a large audience, and aren't willing to throw money on what seems to be a niche genre.

GalacticMagna said:
Well it hasn't become an anime yet. There's Reborn as Space Merchant if that's what you want

Surprised that Kadokawa still hasn't greenlight an anime for that series yet.
12 hours ago

Nov 2019
I guess the fantasy trope is more inclined with what is consumed - it's like a soft-VRMMO style subgenre without explicitly saying its from there.
11 hours ago
May 2015
That's actually a valid point. Why NOT go to space?

Star Trek is considered a pioneer sci-fi show and it can be classified an isekai (travelling to various worlds). Anime should consider heading to the final frontier.
11 hours ago

Apr 2020
Would be great, instead of main character having a harem of cat girls, elves, orcs, goblins and others he can have a harem of alien girls.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
4 hours ago

Aug 2022
Haneken2086 said:
Star Trek is considered a pioneer sci-fi show and it can be classified an isekai (travelling to various worlds). Anime should consider heading to the final frontier.

Agreed.

Though with the seeming lack of interest from anime viewers for Star Trek-esque shows - such as Astra: Lost in Space or the Space Battleship Yamato remake - I can somewhat understand why we aren't seeing more shows in the genre... for now, at least.

More topics from this board

» What you like to see in fight scenes

Kenzolo-folk - Jun 27

31 by Animeistaken »»
15 seconds ago

» Good anime with bad start ( 1 2 )

JoeChip - Yesterday

61 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» Can you be friends with someone who trashes your Favorite Anime?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

5 by bucciest »»
7 minutes ago

» A Goddess pays you a visit and promises to grant you a wish.

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

36 by TsutanaiFuun »»
26 minutes ago

» Life or Death Comedy Anime

StoutBeer - Yesterday

4 by StoutBeer »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.