Forum Settings
Forums

What are some genres of anime that you think have gone past their hay-day?

New
Jun 23, 7:03 PM

Apr 2024
It's an unfortunately common sentiment that Mecha is "dead" because it's no longer a massive force for the industry (Despite high quality showings every year or two), but in the long history of anime, there are certainly other genres that were once massive waves for the fandom writ large, but nowadays don't see such privilege or prestige.

For me, I think... Moe blobs kinda disappeared? I mean, CGDCT definitely still has industry power, but shows like Lucky Star definitely don't appear the way they did in the past.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Jun 23, 8:10 PM

Apr 2015
>Fantasy: I mean pure fantasy, none of this Isekai spam that have the fantasy.
>Sci-fi: There's not much anymore, and when there is, it's just them using futuristic weapons, not an actual sci-fi setting.
>Mystery: Most of the ones we get now are just highschool kids solving basic mysteries, not stuff with a big plot or makes you question what's going on.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 23, 8:14 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Tropisch
>Fantasy: I mean pure fantasy, none of this Isekai spam that have the fantasy.
>Sci-fi: There's not much anymore, and when there is, it's just them using futuristic weapons, not an actual sci-fi setting.
>Mystery: Most of the ones we get now are just highschool kids solving basic mysteries, not stuff with a big plot or makes you question what's going on.
@Tropisch I think Fantasy might be in something of a resurgence, what with Friren and Dungeon Meshi, but I also have a similar talking point about Mecha, so who knows?
Jun 23, 8:31 PM

Jan 2020
Psychological anime have been way less common this decade and there's basically no huge psychological anime so far other than sequels.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jun 23, 8:37 PM

Oct 2010
moe blobs are way past their expiration date
Jun 23, 8:41 PM

Feb 2019
I agree about moe blob CGDCT, when I was rewatching School Live it really made me remember the time it came out in that they would be somewhat "parodying" (idk what you would call what Gakkou is doing, poking fun at? Using to its advantage? It's definitely intentional). Back in 2015 and the few years before it seemed overwhelming the amount of CGDCT shows that were releasing, I hated seasonals back then. That's how I felt then anyway.
No watch list sig cuz "You watch anime in 3 days or 3 months! Such is the proper way!"
Jun 23, 9:17 PM

Feb 2020
I agree. CGDCT has seen its best days. It's kinda dying theme nowadays.
Jun 24, 12:02 AM

May 2024
Sci-fi is so dead. Even the one's that are still being made go under the radar and are just not worth watching most of the time. Normal fantasy's seen better days, but Frieren's probably gonna have some major impact for the genre, hopefully.
Jun 24, 12:25 AM

May 2018
I know it's still going strong in the industry, but I'm gonna dare to say: isekai/reincarnation. Literally nothing they release from this point on can possibly be something of notable worth. Because it has been done so so so many times before, any attempt at originality or creativity will be [and has been] overpowered by the repetitive nature of the genre.

Or idk maybe it's just wishful thinking, bc I'm sick of it.
can't yuck my yum

Jun 24, 12:44 AM

Mar 2023
Mecha and Magical Girls are basically on life suport at this point.
Jun 24, 7:17 AM

Sep 2016
  • Mecha
  • Space
  • Mahou Shoujo (unfortunately)
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 24, 7:22 AM

May 2019
Mecha certainly fell off hard from where it was.
Jun 24, 2:04 PM

Jun 2024
I guess the mahou shoujo genre isn't as popular as before. I remember Madoka Magica being hyped, but now it seems to have died down. Or maybe I am completely wrong, and the genre is still alive and well.
Jun 24, 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
science fiction is not as popular today as fantasy

samurai 8 and edens zero flop so hard
Jun 24, 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to luffysenchou
I guess the mahou shoujo genre isn't as popular as before. I remember Madoka Magica being hyped, but now it seems to have died down. Or maybe I am completely wrong, and the genre is still alive and well.
@Mayahuel There's still that 4th Madoka movie and the 2nd season of Mahouiku to come out, but pure mahou shoujo without dark fantasy attached is pretty much dead.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 24, 2:26 PM

Jun 2019
I'm more interested in genres that have gone past their barley, wheat, and straw days.
Jun 24, 2:27 PM

May 2018
But moe blobs are still everywhere.
Supernatural school dramas, a trademark of anime from 00s. From Kanon/Clannad to Natsu no Arashi and Sola, there were tons of them. I don't think there are many of them nowadays. This type of shows surely got old.
Also, there is not enough GAR. Yes, there are Jojo, Baki, Kengan Ashura and a few more. But they are too few. Today's anime watchers have degraded and become miserable pansies. All they want to watch is some dumb girls to objectify and pathetic wimps to self-insert. Sadly, manly men are not popular anymore.
Jun 24, 2:28 PM

Oct 2019
Ultra violent sci-fi series were a little pile of gem that existed in the 90s, they weren't a thing before then, and haven't been a thing since then, but it was nice while it lasted
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 24, 2:36 PM

Jun 2024
Reply to Tropisch
@Mayahuel There's still that 4th Madoka movie and the 2nd season of Mahouiku to come out, but pure mahou shoujo without dark fantasy attached is pretty much dead.
@Tropisch I haven't watched any Madoka Magica, but I vaguely remember that people didn't like the side story spinoff.
Jun 24, 2:38 PM

Jul 2013
Every genre is good in its own right.
Jun 24, 2:53 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to luffysenchou
@Tropisch I haven't watched any Madoka Magica, but I vaguely remember that people didn't like the side story spinoff.
@Mayahuel They didn't, it was adapted from a gacha game lol.
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 24, 2:55 PM

Jun 2024
@Tropisch My memory is bad then. I didn't know it's a gacha game turned into an anime adaptation.
Jun 24, 5:01 PM

Jun 2014
Space Westerns. All the ones I can think of are before the 2000's: Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Space Adventure Cobra and Outlaw Star. A shame really, it's one of my favorite genres.
Jun 24, 5:08 PM

Jun 2017
Weird experimental shorts (Dementia's i think they're called) seem mostly gone.

Cyberpunk GITS type anime are mostly gone. I haven't seen a Ghost in the Shell/Ergo Proxy type anime in a long time

The Ah My Goddess style magical girlfriend genre is sadly gone. i miss the days of DearS and Girls Bravo.

Pokemon clones are mostly done
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jun 24, 5:20 PM
Oct 2013
Shoujo? Specifically School Romance type. I mean most top school romance these days is from shounen and shoujo only thrive if they don't use that specific setting anymore.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 25, 3:58 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to luffysenchou
@Mayahuel Sailor Moon still gets things every once in a while, and Precure is still going pretty strong last I saw
Jun 25, 5:34 PM

Jun 2007
Maid-based anime had their time in the sun in the early/mid-2000s, but aren't much of a force anymore. Though there were some late stragglers like And Yet the Town Moves and Blend-S.

The "Sad Girls in Snow" visual novel adaptation -- very plentiful in the 2000s with the Key stuff (ONE/Air/Kanon/Clannad/Little Busters) and others like Da Capo, Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow, We Without Wings, Ef, H2O, Wind ~ A Breath of Heart, and Rumbling Hearts -- is long past its prime. If any VNs get adaptations these days, they're ones with time-travel/sci-fi elements like Steins;Gate, ISLAND, and Yu-No.

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

More topics from this board

Poll: » is there less demand for ecchi, hentai, sexual fanservice this days?

deg - 5 hours ago

21 by SuperAdventure »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime would be better if it killed off its main character in order for the secondary main character to shine?

Catalano - 4 hours ago

11 by WaterMage »»
8 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

128 by Dienen »»
13 minutes ago

» Collection of CPM Auditions For Outlanders

RareAnimeHunter - 3 hours ago

4 by RareAnimeHunter »»
33 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - Sep 26

18 by TheMechaManiac »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.