Forum Settings
Forums

Those of you who write anime reviews, what is the most challenging part about it?

New
Jun 20, 11:54 AM

Jul 2023
Whenever I type a review, there is always a moment or two where I want to type about a particular scene or episode I really like or dislike, but then I would ask myself: "Is it a major spoiler?" If it is a major spoiler, I might end up having to omit talking about it if I want to keep the review spoiler-free. If I don't want to make the omission, I'll have to put the spoiler tag on. As of this discussion post, my latest review with the spoiler tag is my review of the Super Mario Bros. anime movie adaptation from 1986 because there is a specific part in the ending that I talked about.

Here's the thing: MyAnimeList likes to keep the spoiler filter on by default when readers browse through an anime's reviews. Yes, it can be disabled, but some readers are people who look at reviews before they watch the anime, so having a spoiler in the review makes it less likely to be noticed. That's why I've started to keep my reviews spoiler-free as much as possible. This is what makes writing reviews challenging for me.

Whether or not you write reviews, maybe you might know some tips about figuring out what would be considered a spoiler and what isn't considered a spoiler. Maybe they could help me improve my writing.

Those of you who do write anime reviews, what is the most challenging part about writing them?
I am using the best palette swap.
Jun 20, 12:09 PM

Jul 2023
I write the odd review from time to time and operate on an overview philosophy. I am not looking to discuss specifics concerning an anime, but instead focus on what can be expected from it in a broader sense. I'll touch on some of the core themes and dynamics present in the anime, a brief consideration of how the animation and writing present throughout, and close with my own opinion, kept on the shorter side, on whether or not I would care to recommend the title to others.

I do like to read through some of the more involved reviews every now and again for titles I have entertained the idea of watching at some point, and some of those are entertaining and/or very informative concerning some of the background information of a title's production, but I personally prefer to keep things dry, somewhat vague as to not reveal too much of the content, and otherwise clear and concise.
Jun 20, 12:16 PM

Oct 2019
I rarely write reviews, but what I have written has been getting more and more positively received, which I would like to assume is because I'm getting better at writing them. I tend to double purpose them for a gags, or a random videos for my youtube channel sometimes, so I can justify making them more often.

I would say the hardest part is... well.... being good at writing.

Making it engaging to read, hitting all the essential parts, but not making it too long, building a cohesive narrative that feels like a connected piece, instead of just a jumble of random sections. It was about half way through when I realized splitting the reviews into sections of "story, animation, music and so on" is a horrible idea when it comes to writing a genuinely good review.

Writing a good review, or a good script, or even a good story follows very similar principles.

Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 21, 6:29 AM

Oct 2014
I used to write a lot of reviews, but now I just record audio reviews instead. Spoilers can still be an issue there and I avoid them unless they're necessary for reviewing the anime in which case I warn the audio about the spoilers so they can choose to continue or not.

I think my most challenging part is just remembering all the important parts of the show. Sometimes I'll record a review and feel like I don't have much to say then later remember more that I should have talked about. MAL also doesn't like people editing their review after the fact since people used to use it as an exploit to keep their review relevant throughout the release of a seasonal anime which made it hard for new reviews to get seen.
Jun 21, 6:56 AM

Nov 2020
There are several notable challenging parts about writing an anime review. Like you said, there is the problem of deciding whether to include something in your review or not depending on whether it qualifies as a spoiler or not. Also, setting the level for your review is a problem faced by many. Like whether you want to finish it in 1 line or write an entire novel; whether you want to be casual and funny or you want to be deeply philosophical; everything should be planned out before. But for certain anime, it becomes really difficult to write structured reviews.

For me though, a thing that often makes me re-think before writing a review is whether people are gonna read it or not. Because if they do not read it then the whole review becomes kind of pointless. Another point is that if i decide to review the anime before i even start watching it, then i cannot enjoy the anime. i just watch it from a critic point of view.

nice forum topic tho ^_^
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jun 21, 1:56 PM

Jul 2021
Keeping it short and clear. While still making it pleasant and interesting to read. Basically, "being good at writing," as @APolygons2 put it.

It usually takes a long time for me to organize my thoughts and put them into words, but even then it often turns out rambling and unfocused. When I cut it down or make it punchier, it can lose detail and need clarification again. Worse, it can turn out really dry and boring. It's a constant push and pull between the two sides for me.

As for spoilers, I've never got into that problem so far. Likely because I tend not to talk about the story in detail anyway. It's not too difficult to keep it vague when I do have to talk about it.
Jun 21, 2:13 PM
best user ever

May 2022
Nothing much about the writing part, I just write them up in like 30 minutes for fun. Only challenging thing for me is actually making them good because most of mine are well… not very well-written if I'm being honest.

Most of them are kind of bland too because even I get bored reading certain reviews I made. I think I put too much quantity over quality.
Jun 22, 5:43 PM

Oct 2022
tbh if you can't write a review of something without just summarizing plots, you're not a very good reviewer.
And spoilers should never be necessary in any review. If you want to talk about specific episodes and review events in them, that's what the forum is for- each title has a discussion thread by episode.
Jun 22, 7:11 PM

Oct 2016
Starting, remembering all the important stuff and in my case, as I'm not very good with English, finding the proper words for what I'm trying to say.

I'm sure my reviews are full of issues but eh, I do every review of mine the best I can at that time, and if I'm dissatisfied with it in the future, I try to not repeat the things I don't like on other reviews.
Jun 24, 1:06 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Longnines
I write the odd review from time to time and operate on an overview philosophy. I am not looking to discuss specifics concerning an anime, but instead focus on what can be expected from it in a broader sense. I'll touch on some of the core themes and dynamics present in the anime, a brief consideration of how the animation and writing present throughout, and close with my own opinion, kept on the shorter side, on whether or not I would care to recommend the title to others.

I do like to read through some of the more involved reviews every now and again for titles I have entertained the idea of watching at some point, and some of those are entertaining and/or very informative concerning some of the background information of a title's production, but I personally prefer to keep things dry, somewhat vague as to not reveal too much of the content, and otherwise clear and concise.
@Longnines That is a very good point there. Some of the anime I've watched has a moment that leaves a strong impact on me that I really want to include my thoughts of it in my review.
Jun 24, 1:12 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to APolygons2
I rarely write reviews, but what I have written has been getting more and more positively received, which I would like to assume is because I'm getting better at writing them. I tend to double purpose them for a gags, or a random videos for my youtube channel sometimes, so I can justify making them more often.

I would say the hardest part is... well.... being good at writing.

Making it engaging to read, hitting all the essential parts, but not making it too long, building a cohesive narrative that feels like a connected piece, instead of just a jumble of random sections. It was about half way through when I realized splitting the reviews into sections of "story, animation, music and so on" is a horrible idea when it comes to writing a genuinely good review.

Writing a good review, or a good script, or even a good story follows very similar principles.

@APolygons2 I mean, the review guidelines on this website literally recommends splitting reviews into sections on story, animation, characters, music, etc. I've been making sure I follow them every time. I will say I am definitely not like the people who didn't listen to the part of the guidelines that say to not write "This is my first review, so please forgive any mistakes."
Jun 24, 1:22 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to zombie_pegasus
I used to write a lot of reviews, but now I just record audio reviews instead. Spoilers can still be an issue there and I avoid them unless they're necessary for reviewing the anime in which case I warn the audio about the spoilers so they can choose to continue or not.

I think my most challenging part is just remembering all the important parts of the show. Sometimes I'll record a review and feel like I don't have much to say then later remember more that I should have talked about. MAL also doesn't like people editing their review after the fact since people used to use it as an exploit to keep their review relevant throughout the release of a seasonal anime which made it hard for new reviews to get seen.
@zombie_pegasus There are a few times I wondered if my initial opinion of an anime remains true a few years after I've watched it the first time. In this case, I would actually rewatch it before reviewing it. From rewatching the anime, three things can happen. I may end up feeling more positive, feeling more negative, or my opinion remains the same.

Nisekoi: False Love is an example of an anime my past self wasn't happy with back in February 2016, but after giving it a rewatch in late August 2023, I developed a new appreciation for it. I even ended my review for the anime saying thank you to Super Mario Maker since the author of the light novel created two courses and Nintendo officially uploaded them as Event Courses.
Jun 24, 1:31 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to Peach_Main
@APolygons2 I mean, the review guidelines on this website literally recommends splitting reviews into sections on story, animation, characters, music, etc. I've been making sure I follow them every time. I will say I am definitely not like the people who didn't listen to the part of the guidelines that say to not write "This is my first review, so please forgive any mistakes."
@Peach_Main I literally didn't even know review guidelines existed until you mentioned now and I looked at it. and Imma tell you, literally NO ONE follows these, neither the mods nor the users. They remove troll or overly insulting reviews and stuff, but everything else they tell you not to do, is not something that they actually care about, like at all.

Peach_Main said:
I mean, the review guidelines on this website literally recommends splitting reviews into sections on story, animation, characters, music, etc. I've been making sure I follow them every time.

Then the review guild lines are giving you bad advice. Writing in sections is boring, and goes against everything that makes any type of writing interesting.

Just talking about each section on it's own feels like a book report you give to your teacher, it does the job, but your highschool book report is never an actual good piece of writing, it's just fluff. I used to write in sections too while ignoring all the advice and things that I just wrote. let me just give you an example.

Compare this: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=440183

To this: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=522907

And tell me which one you found to be more engaging to read.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 24, 1:33 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to AMBITZZ
There are several notable challenging parts about writing an anime review. Like you said, there is the problem of deciding whether to include something in your review or not depending on whether it qualifies as a spoiler or not. Also, setting the level for your review is a problem faced by many. Like whether you want to finish it in 1 line or write an entire novel; whether you want to be casual and funny or you want to be deeply philosophical; everything should be planned out before. But for certain anime, it becomes really difficult to write structured reviews.

For me though, a thing that often makes me re-think before writing a review is whether people are gonna read it or not. Because if they do not read it then the whole review becomes kind of pointless. Another point is that if i decide to review the anime before i even start watching it, then i cannot enjoy the anime. i just watch it from a critic point of view.

nice forum topic tho ^_^
@AMBITZZ When I type reviews, I try to give thorough explanations for my rating. It can lead to some paragraphs being larger than others. There are people who have make very long reviews, almost like college essays, and I kind of envy them a little since they seem to be very well-known in this website's community. I've been here for almost one year now and the greatest number of reactions I received in one of my reviews is 5, and it's on a movie I really do not care too much about anymore.
Jun 24, 1:48 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to perseii
Keeping it short and clear. While still making it pleasant and interesting to read. Basically, "being good at writing," as @APolygons2 put it.

It usually takes a long time for me to organize my thoughts and put them into words, but even then it often turns out rambling and unfocused. When I cut it down or make it punchier, it can lose detail and need clarification again. Worse, it can turn out really dry and boring. It's a constant push and pull between the two sides for me.

As for spoilers, I've never got into that problem so far. Likely because I tend not to talk about the story in detail anyway. It's not too difficult to keep it vague when I do have to talk about it.
@perseii I sometimes find myself being too thorough in describing the story in my own words when giving my thoughts on it in my reviews. I've debated with myself on whether or not to stick with it or not, and I chose to stick with it for the sake of having the review be detailed and have clarification.
Jun 24, 1:55 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to APolygons2
@Peach_Main I literally didn't even know review guidelines existed until you mentioned now and I looked at it. and Imma tell you, literally NO ONE follows these, neither the mods nor the users. They remove troll or overly insulting reviews and stuff, but everything else they tell you not to do, is not something that they actually care about, like at all.

Peach_Main said:
I mean, the review guidelines on this website literally recommends splitting reviews into sections on story, animation, characters, music, etc. I've been making sure I follow them every time.

Then the review guild lines are giving you bad advice. Writing in sections is boring, and goes against everything that makes any type of writing interesting.

Just talking about each section on it's own feels like a book report you give to your teacher, it does the job, but your highschool book report is never an actual good piece of writing, it's just fluff. I used to write in sections too while ignoring all the advice and things that I just wrote. let me just give you an example.

Compare this: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=440183

To this: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=522907

And tell me which one you found to be more engaging to read.
@APolygons2 I should clarify that I don't actually make labels for story, animation, etc. I would have a paragraph or more on each of them. Enjoyment would be my concluding paragraph.

I do see what you mean with the two examples of reviews you gave me here. It's better to not have those labels.
Jun 24, 1:56 PM

Jun 2017
I always struggled on trying to describe how i feel beyond "I like this" or "I don't like this".
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jun 24, 3:23 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Peach_Main
@perseii I sometimes find myself being too thorough in describing the story in my own words when giving my thoughts on it in my reviews. I've debated with myself on whether or not to stick with it or not, and I chose to stick with it for the sake of having the review be detailed and have clarification.
@Peach_Main Much respect if you can pull it off, but I have a hard time digging into the story without getting over-long and spoiler-y. Even if I could pull it off, I personally don't see much value in the endeavor.

I consciously try to avoid describing the story unless I have to. The reader can go read the synopsis and watch the trailer to find out what the initial set-up is and "what happens." Unless the synopsis and trailer do a poor job of representing the anime, of course.

When I'm reading reviews, I tend to gloss over descriptions of the story, because by the time I'm looking up reviews, I already have a rough idea of the story anyway. I only want to know what kind of experience I'm signing up for, like the setting, tone, format, themes, genre, etc., and I can discover the story myself when I'm actually watching the thing.

Reading a Demon Slayer review, I don't need to be told that Tanjiro is a charcoal maker who learns Water-breathing Technique to join the Demon Slayer Corps and find a cure for Nezuko. It's enough for me to know that it's about a regular kid who trains really hard to fight demons and help his sister. I just want to get an idea of whether or not the anime is something I might enjoy.

I constantly tell myself that I'm writing a review, not an analysis.

Besides, lots of other reviews next to mine already describe the story, so I often feel like I don't have to write out a summary myself.
Aug 4, 12:25 AM

Jan 2018
if moon is bright then i'd read reviews gauging their feelings for a show. describing parts of story is a no for me but there are people who look for specific things after all.
Aug 4, 12:33 AM

Feb 2022
Correct Grammar and punctuation

...Yes.

More topics from this board

» How well do your tastes mesh with your friends who also love anime?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

14 by Pg13_ »»
2 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Today

113 by rsc-pl »»
26 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

703 by GoodBoy0069 »»
39 minutes ago

» What are old anime that won't be made today

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

28 by Nurguburu »»
1 hour ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7413 by Hikinekomori »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.