Forum Settings
Forums

Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

New
Jun 15, 8:47 PM

Apr 2018
Anime has always had a global appeal and has adapted to various audiences over time. But with the increasing popularity in the West, there's concern about how this might influence future anime productions. Do you think this shift would dilute the uniqueness of anime?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 15, 8:52 PM

Dec 2018
No because older anime still exist.

Jun 15, 9:01 PM

Dec 2012
I wouldn't mind it, things like Black Lagoon, Jormungand, and Hellsing Ultimate are some of my favorites.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 15, 9:38 PM

Nov 2018
Bruv, they can do whatever the hell they want. Try,fail,succeed, MARKET IS KING/QUEEN.

Dont worry, if youre worried about it losing its originality, or some might call the old taste, I'm sure there will still be some studios who continue to animate mangas which depict their local likes.

end of the day, THEY WILL MAKE WHAT SELLS. Our tastes only matter, if its in the majority. I promise I aint trying to be rude, just trying to let you know not to worry about these things, just enjoy what you like, Cheers.

And hey, sometimes blending in some international {not just western} influences, might just be their next step, who knows, isnt that how every decision is, we dont know until we double down on a decision and get results.
Jun 15, 9:40 PM
Dec 2017
Would drop new anime if that was the case. Anime is popular for a reason, and it always makes me shake my head when people think of inserting unnecessary influences into it. Once you go down that road it stops being what it is for the sake of people who have barely a passing interest or want to change things to suit their own personal interests or standards because they can't see past their own nose.
Jun 15, 9:42 PM

Feb 2023
That's what anime corporations decided to do from 2016-2022, and still does now to a lesser extent. It caused anime to enter a severe downward spiral, to the point where it looked like it lost any chances of recovery.

In 2023, Onimai refused to cater to Western audiences, and was the most popular anime in Japan in over a decade. Studios noticed this, and it seems like some are fighting back. Now, we have far less heavily Westernized anime than in 2022. We have Onimai, Oshi no Ko, Henjin no Salad Bowl and Ooi! Tonbo instead of Westernized garbage like Spy x Family and Chainsaw Man being created.

People also need to realize that these purtians don't actually watch anime, and appealing to them is a horrible idea.
Jun 15, 9:44 PM

May 2021
Anime has been catering to the west for over 40 years
Your puppet strings are just a tease.

Jan 2009
as long as they keep the art style and animation style i will watch it

Oct 2013
Thanks random topic generator. You generated a topic that'll inevitably turn into a political shitshow, unless it gets buried.

Anime has had series with clear western influence for years now. Anyone who doesn't know that is either really new to the medium, or fooling themselves.

Shows based on superheroes like MHA, OPM, and Tiger and Bunny
Any show with a western/cowboy esthetic
Any show that takes place in a medieval setting
Any show with western mythology/fantasy elements
Any show that takes place in a western country or a fictional country based on a western country

Need I fucking go on? Because I could keep going with specific examples. Panty & Stocking and Space Dandy being obvious examples.
Jun 15, 9:47 PM

May 2021
Reply to FanofAction
Thanks random topic generator. You generated a topic that'll inevitably turn into a political shitshow, unless it gets buried.

Anime has had series with clear western influence for years now. Anyone who doesn't know that is either really new to the medium, or fooling themselves.

Any show that takes place in a western country or a fictional country based on a western country

Need I fucking go on? Because I could keep going with specific examples. Panty & Stocking and Space Dandy being obvious examples.
@FanofAction

Didn't Space Dandy air dubbed in America before they aired it at all in Japan?
Jun 15, 9:49 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to princefaking
@FanofAction

Didn't Space Dandy air dubbed in America before they aired it at all in Japan?
@princefaking My point exactly. It was an anime made specifically to air in the west first with clear western influence. It's basically the ultimate example of catering to the west.
Jun 15, 10:14 PM

Jun 2015
I'd just watch the ones that are not made for me
Jun 15, 10:18 PM

Feb 2020
"Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?"

Nope.
Jun 15, 10:19 PM

Nov 2023
It would just make new Mal users more confused since now it would look like a show filter with only one region option, but I don't mind if it means we are not getting the 10,000 th animated comedy sitcom filled with sex jokes. Anyways I always assume its wield that anime is considered unique, its quite easily recruitable if not for western biasness towards animation
Jun 15, 10:21 PM

Jan 2024
I would not leave anime. I'd just binge the older ones

It's okay if you forget me.

Jun 15, 10:45 PM

May 2021
Reply to ForgotEyeWasHere
That's what anime corporations decided to do from 2016-2022, and still does now to a lesser extent. It caused anime to enter a severe downward spiral, to the point where it looked like it lost any chances of recovery.

In 2023, Onimai refused to cater to Western audiences, and was the most popular anime in Japan in over a decade. Studios noticed this, and it seems like some are fighting back. Now, we have far less heavily Westernized anime than in 2022. We have Onimai, Oshi no Ko, Henjin no Salad Bowl and Ooi! Tonbo instead of Westernized garbage like Spy x Family and Chainsaw Man being created.

People also need to realize that these purtians don't actually watch anime, and appealing to them is a horrible idea.
@ForgotEyeWasHere

I fact checked this and while Onimai did sell really well, western animated films like Sing 2 and Paw Patrol outsold it in it's first week. I actually decided to look around at a few other weekly charts and almost everytime there was some random American kids movie at the top. By this logic, Minions: The Rise Of Gru is actually the greatest anime of 2023.

It's not about puritans, otaku bait fanservice shows have always been around and they will continue to exist. There is no puritanical conspiracy trying to take your boobies away. I promise you if Onimai was "the most popular anime in Japan in over a decade" we would be seeing about 100 Onimai-likes a season. You can like whatever you want, but this is un researched at best and dishonest and disingenuous at worst.
Jun 15, 11:39 PM

Feb 2021
I mean, it's already happening, just look at Solo Leveling...

ForgotEyeWasHere said:
and was the most popular anime in Japan in over a decade
How exactly was Onimai the most popular anime in Japan in over a decade???
Jun 15, 11:40 PM
Jul 2018
Anime has been catering to the West since its inception.
Jun 16, 1:09 AM

Mar 2023
Anime has been catering to the West since Italy and France started airing it.
Jun 16, 1:21 AM

Jan 2021
i would probably just wouldn't watch those certain anime.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Jun 16, 4:01 AM

Sep 2016
No, there already are Anime that cater to "the west" and lots of them are great.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 16, 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
Honestly no, cause at the end of the day, regardless of who makes it, as long as its enjoyable, then that's all that matters.
Jun 16, 8:17 AM

Oct 2019
Define "cater".

Cause there are a lot of western media that I like. And I would argue a LOT of anime already do things that cater towards the west. I would say if they do it by losing anime's identities, I will definitely be sad about it, but I don't think it would be enough for me to completely quite anime.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 16, 10:20 AM

Oct 2017
I literally do not care. Art is art, I will enjoy it regardless
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jun 16, 11:54 AM

Jul 2013
Westerners are NPC moralists imo. It is that simple.
Jun 16, 11:55 AM

Sep 2018
No since older anime would still exist. I already play a ton of older games so I would likely do the same with anime.
Jun 16, 12:13 PM
แ•™(โ‡€โ€ธโ†ผโ€ถ)แ•—

Aug 2014
I like anime which cater to the West https://myanimelist.net/anime/8626/Good_Morning
Jun 16, 4:07 PM

Feb 2017
Depend, if cater mean only release what western likes and rules, either just watch older anime or quit in case i find something better. Same with video games, in the past i think i will play older jp games only but now i ended up mostly playing newer games but not based from jp anymore because their games had old feeling when jp games are still for fun and entertainment purpose only.
-
-
Jun 16, 4:30 PM

Oct 2014
If all anime goes that way then quality would deteriorate. There's some shows that are already like that, like a lot of the ones Netflix has funded, but as long as those are the minority I don't mind them existing since I don't have to watch them.
Jun 16, 5:10 PM

Mar 2008
No, I could just go through all the older stuff. Also depends who they are catering to there is different types of Westerners.
Jun 16, 5:33 PM

Nov 2015
No. Because it already happened years ago. And it’s still happening.
HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Jun 16, 5:48 PM

Nov 2020
nah not really sounds like an overreaction. plenty of modern anime are already catered a bit to the west given how many potential viewers are over there, and it isn't a new thing as anime has been slowly americanized since the late 90s. even if studios did only cater to the west the backlash from the domestic audience would be enough to make any big studio reconsider. honestly i mostly just see fear mongering and overreactions when it comes to this subject. its a japanese art form and while western influences are nothing new, japanese influence will always reign supreme.
ngl punpun was a bit of an asshole
right wing extremist (chud ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”)

Jun 16, 6:06 PM

Jun 2024
It's already catering to the West. Quitting because of that would make no sense.
Jun 16, 6:59 PM

Feb 2021
There still has to be something I like even then.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jun 16, 7:08 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to FanofAction

FanofAction said:

Superheroes are a Japanese invention.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jun 16, 7:38 PM

May 2018
listen... a good story is a good story, good characters are good characters, and good animation is good animation. I love avatar the last airbender, midnight gospel, and castlevania just as much as I do a good anime.

that said... anything that is "catered" for a specific audience tends to be subpar. or at the very least it tends to reek of profit-seeking management. if you have something of substance, an audience will always be there for it.
can't yuck my yum

Jun 16, 7:40 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Lucifrost
FanofAction said:

Superheroes are a Japanese invention.
@Lucifrost Technically old mythological figures are the first examples of anything resembling a "superhero". Doesn't matter though. The popularity of western superheroes absolutely played a sizable part in the making of those series, so my point still stands.
Jun 17, 12:08 AM

May 2018
I mean, I watched RWBY: Hyousetsu Teikoku and Star Wars: Visions...so no, I am not quitting.
alshuJun 17, 12:14 AM
Jun 17, 2:03 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007

It already does. Less and less shows each year feature ecchi themes, and those that do are much tamer than anime from 10-15 years ago. Less and less shows feature loli characters, and those that do are also much tamer with showing lolis in fanservice situations.
Jun 17, 2:39 PM

Mar 2009
No thanks I love Japanese culture as it is if I want western culture I watch the the things we make. But I don´t watch what we make because it has become utter trash.
SwordBreaker36Jun 18, 3:12 PM
Jun 17, 3:34 PM

May 2024

No.

Dragevard said:
Do you think this shift would dilute the uniqueness of anime?

If anime becomes less unique overall, does that mean it will be of lower quality? The most popular anime follow similar formulas, and that is why they are so appreciate and popular. I don't think there anything wrong with trying to appeal to a broader international audience.
Jun 18, 2:58 AM

May 2021
I would still watch older anime. Catering to the west is a bad idea.
Echidna best waifu :D
Jun 18, 12:17 PM

Oct 2017
If their catering for Americans does that mean we will get bigger portions ;)
Jun 18, 12:42 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Luc36
Depend, if cater mean only release what western likes and rules, either just watch older anime or quit in case i find something better. Same with video games, in the past i think i will play older jp games only but now i ended up mostly playing newer games but not based from jp anymore because their games had old feeling when jp games are still for fun and entertainment purpose only.
Luc36 said:

More or less the same here except I still play games that are mostly based from JP and as long the show/anime is well done or done well enough that it's still enjoyable.
Jun 18, 1:10 PM

Jan 2008
I only really watch older shows 90% of the time so no lmao
Current state of anime has been on a downward slope for me since 2014, but theres rare gems here and there
Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes...just be an illusion...
Jun 18, 1:36 PM
Apr 2024
No because I don't think it will change anything about anime, at least the ones I watch

But again I really don't trust netflix with their gundam anime, but it's not the same
Jun 18, 9:32 PM
Thread Cleaned and locked

All Off-topic and other rule violating posts have been removed. Thread locked for turning into a highly debated political discussion.

5.ใ€€Please refrain from creating threads which extend beyond the discussion of anime/manga as an entertainment medium to highly-debated and/or sensitive issues liable to incite rule violations (trolling, flaming, abuse).
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» Misleading, out of context, or outright fake knowledge about various titles ( 1 2 )

RobertBobert - Yesterday

56 by Nutella71 »»
10 seconds ago

» Does Watching YTVideos/TikTok make you an Anime Fan?

BerriesSan - 1 hour ago

9 by Kiryotsu »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you think Anime has been a net positive for humanity??

LenRea - Yesterday

23 by Zarutaku »»
17 minutes ago

» Have you ever struggled to rate a show?

Jackson1333 - 7 hours ago

21 by DarkFirefly72 »»
27 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you

Kirika_Madeleine - Yesterday

47 by l_Photon_l »»
28 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.