Forum Settings
Forums

Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

New
May 11, 3:02 PM

Apr 2018
Where do you stand on this issue? Do you believe that non-Japanese artist songs should count as anime OP/ED?

May 11, 3:06 PM

May 2019
If a western song gets put in an anime opening or ending, then yes it qualifies.

May 11, 3:13 PM

Mar 2023
Why do i have a feeling that you are using Manatee's to get help with the ideas for your threads

May 11, 3:13 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
If they are used as OP/ED well... yes.

Also, its funny to say that Paranoid Android is an anime song
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 11, 3:22 PM

Mar 2016
Not sure what you're trying to ask here, but if an anime OP is either English or Japanese made, then yes, it is most certainly an anime opening.
Just an avid anime watcher of 18 years, not much else I could say about myself (that I don't want to reveal, of course, just ask if you wanna know more!)

"So...look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon and just...walk on." - Noah, Xenoblade Chronicles 3
May 11, 3:22 PM

Aug 2018
Yes, it counts. It's still an anime theme if it uses a non-Japanese song or music.
May 11, 3:28 PM

Oct 2013
If it's used as an OP/ED, then it's an OP/ED. Not really any room to debate.

@Spunkert those manatees ain't got time for this shit.
May 11, 3:30 PM

Oct 2017
OP and ED literally just means opening and ending. How the hell does it make any sense to disqualify something by country of origin if it still plays in the opening and ending? where is the logic
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 11, 3:32 PM

May 2019
Reply to Gensouori
Not sure what you're trying to ask here, but if an anime OP is either English or Japanese made, then yes, it is most certainly an anime opening.
@Gensouori Technically it can be any language not just English or Japanese.

May 11, 3:45 PM

Mar 2019
Yes, there are non-Japanese artists with anime Op/Ed music since the 90s, including iconic songs. (⁠・ั⁠ω⁠・ั⁠)

May 11, 4:15 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
There's a situation when it may be a good idea not counting them as anime OP/ED, as long as the song wasn't made specifically for the anime.

For example, the most listened anime ED in Spotify is Walk Like An Egyptian, but I guess that 90% of those listeners know nothing about Jojo.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
May 11, 6:37 PM

Nov 2019
I am for it being an anime OP/ED and even general theme simply because it's in the anime. If it was an addition not agreed on by the production director then obviously wouldn't count.
May 11, 6:39 PM

Feb 2020
"Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?"

Sure it does.
May 11, 7:10 PM

Dec 2020
What do you mean "do they count," why wouldn't they?
May 12, 2:51 AM

Sep 2016
Same could be asked about outsourced non-Japanese animation that is used in Anime.

Yes it counts.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 12, 3:08 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Actually I have the same trouble. I like the song but when I put it in my playlist it feels kind of "out of place" in my anime OP/ED playlist. It would rather fit in the "general favorite music" playlist...

I think its also a bit confusing for MALs stance that works like Avatar or TBATE are obviously not qualified to be considered database-worthy because they are not from Japan, but the OP is qualified even though it's from a non Japanese source. I haven't looked it up but I bet the band from the OP is now a "person" in MALs database able to be favorited, while the author of TBATE probably isn't.

In the end I don't care enough to take a stance on how it "should be handled" on websites like MAL but personally I will not add it to my anime OP ED playlist because to me personally, it doesn't fit the other songs in that list.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
May 12, 3:42 AM

Mar 2023
Yes it does. Great Pretender by Freddy Mercury is my favorite Anime ED.
May 12, 3:49 AM

Jun 2019
Brati said:
I think its also a bit confusing for MALs stance that works like Avatar or TBATE are obviously not qualified to be considered database-worthy because they are not from Japan, but the OP is qualified even though it's from a non Japanese source. I haven't looked it up but I bet the band from the OP is now a "person" in MALs database able to be favorited, while the author of TBATE probably isn't.

In the end I don't care enough to take a stance on how it "should be handled" on websites like MAL but personally I will not add it to my anime OP ED playlist because to me personally, it doesn't fit the other songs in that list.

Because the show that the OP belongs to and is a part of is Japanese. If they are Japanese, Chinese, or Korean (East Asian or northeast Asian, basically), then it's considered anime here. It can't be American, Belgian, Zimbabwean, or whatever else.
May 12, 4:07 AM

Jun 2016
It's an opening/ending titles theme from an anime so of course it counts.
Yes, this means Paranoid Android is an anime song
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 12, 4:47 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Brati said:

Because the show that the OP belongs to and is a part of is Japanese. If they are Japanese, Chinese, or Korean (East Asian or northeast Asian, basically), then it's considered anime here. It can't be American, Belgian, Zimbabwean, or whatever else.
@WatchTillTandava Thanks for the explanation. I will still put it in my "Western music" playlist instead of my "Anime playlist".
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
May 12, 4:52 AM

Jun 2020
Of course like this one
May 12, 4:59 AM

Sep 2018
Yes. I can say that Duran Duran is in my anime playlist.

May 12, 10:00 AM

Nov 2019
Does Non-Japanese Artist Song count as Anime OP/ED?

Dont know just say yes.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
May 12, 10:02 AM

Jan 2009
yes why not? i mean they are part of the anime production
May 12, 3:45 PM

Jul 2016
Yes, I think of the one that had an Oasis song as an ED, doesn't matter where the song comes from.

More topics from this board

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - 40 minutes ago

8 by Rhae »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - 16 minutes ago

2 by TsutanaiFuun »»
6 minutes ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 6 hours ago

25 by ame »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7193 by digiraiter »»
29 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

105 by Guilmon1 »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.