Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

New
Apr 18, 12:09 PM
Jan 2020
For example, while a lot of people consider the 1st season of Yakusoku no Neverland (The Promised Neverland) to be one of the greatest anime of all time, I think it's just good.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 18, 12:10 PM

Feb 2020
Death Note and FMAB came to my mind first. Good shows for sure, but not one of the greatest imo.
Apr 18, 12:16 PM

Jul 2014
Kimi no na Wa. It's a solid, sweet romcom but far from being one of the best anime films of the past several years, let alone of all time. There's no way it's anywhere near the same league as Akira, Spirited Away and Perfect Blue.
Take care of yourself

Apr 18, 12:26 PM

Feb 2019
Frieren. I really like it though & It's been a breath of fresh air for the fantasy genre, but I can't say it deserves the top spot. It did have a very strong beginning & middle but I felt like the first class mage arc was a tad bit too long. I might change my mind if it does pick its self later.

A Silent Voice. I know many deem this the best anime film but I honestly couldn't see it. I really wanted to love this movie but I felt like it would've worked better as a 13 episode show. The pacing was a pretty fast for my liking & I couldn't get invested enough.

Apr 18, 12:26 PM

May 2019
Miyazaki's filmography is good i guess.
Apr 18, 12:32 PM

Jan 2019
Sousou no Frieren is just okay.

---------
Apr 18, 12:34 PM

May 2021
Frieren really fits the description. A perfect adaptation, but the story and characters are just good but not extraodinary.
Apr 18, 12:37 PM

Dec 2020
FMAB and FLCL probably.
They're good, but not masterpieces.
Apr 18, 12:41 PM
Handler One

Jan 2023
Spirited Away. It’s alright but it isn’t mind blowing or anything.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
Apr 18, 12:42 PM
Oct 2014
Code Geass entire Monogatari and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Apr 18, 1:19 PM

Oct 2017
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. 03 is better
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Apr 18, 1:26 PM

Aug 2020
HxH esp 2011
Vinland Saga
Sousou no Frieren
Apr 18, 1:30 PM

Feb 2021
I would say Hunter X Hunter. I really enjoyed the power system, but I can't see why it would be any better than for example Naruto or One Piece.
Apr 18, 1:39 PM

Aug 2012
Greatest of all-time is a high bar.

FMA is the obvious choice. It's good and an amazing starter anime, but if everyone watched it as their 100th anime I think scores would be lower.

A Silent Voice / Koe no Katachi I think is overrated. I've seen the move and read the manga and both were good but not amazing/GOAT. The premise is really good (deaf, bullying, etc.) but I found the characters to be too annoying and it relied way too heavily on the misunderstandings trope in romance media.

Violet Evergarden bored me for the most part (there were a few really good episodes) and it got high scores, but I don't see very many calling it greatest of all time.

Older anime like Cowboy Bebop, DBZ, Neon Genesis Evangelion are all great for what they are and for their time, but after 20+ years have passed I would call them just good.
Apr 18, 1:48 PM

Sep 2016
Demon Slayer, good show but it can't go beyond that as long as Zenitsu is alive.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 18, 1:49 PM

Jul 2019
Steins Gate, I thought the first half was great, but then the second half was extremely predictable.
Apr 18, 2:20 PM
Mar 2016
Attack on Titan. I admit I only finished season 1 but Armin and Eren constantly shouting throughout the whole thing was enough to turn me off.
Apr 18, 2:34 PM

Feb 2024
Alchemist, Titan, Demon Slayer. I feel absolutely nothing dunno why.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Apr 18, 2:38 PM

Feb 2024
I really enjoy SoL anime, and yet I thought K-On was crushingly boring. I barely watched the first six episodes, and even that was already quite a challenge. I felt like I was overdosing on moe.
r3v3l3v3lApr 18, 2:51 PM
Apr 18, 4:27 PM

Mar 2024
Serial Experiments Lain could've been halved and would still have been able to get its message across to the viewers.
Apr 18, 4:36 PM

Jan 2020
I agree with the SEL dude above. It's just good at best imo.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Apr 18, 4:42 PM

Oct 2019
I guess demon slayer, but I feel like only the people who haven't seen more than 5 anime consider it one of the greatest.

Ousama ranking too if we count it. The funniest part about that is while I think the main series is extremely overrated, the side story is actually UNDERRATED. Like I genuinely think the story was better than the main series despite their massive gap in score.

Wait actually there is one more. Rezero. I like the story a lot, but the writing is really shaky. I do plan on reading the LN though, I have watched an read SO MUCH about this damn series, that at this point I don't even know what to think. Reading the novel would once and for all answer all my questions about the writing's quality.

There are a lot of "greatest of all times" that I only consider "great" though. Like they are really good, but I don't personally agree with them being "one of the best of the best"

And that list would be a bit longer:

- Fruits basket
- GTO
- Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time
- Natsume's book of friends
- JJK s1
- Attack on Titan: Final Season Part 2
- spy x family s1
- your name
- oshi no ko
- grave of the fireflies
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 18, 4:56 PM

Jun 2019
I guess it would be any anime oft-touted as a classic or masterpiece which I gave just a 6/10 or 7/10 rating to:

- Shingeki no Kyojin (only the first season rated as I dropped the series midway through the second season) - 6/10
- Neon Genesis Evangelion - 6/10
- Spice & Wolf - 6/10 to the series taken as a whole, but I gave the first season a 7/10 and like it much better than the second which is like a 3 or 4/10 in my book
- Cowboy Bebop - 7/10
- Baccano! - 7/10
- Ascendance of a Bookworm - 6/10 (again with the series taken as a whole - I gave the first season a 7 and liked it much more than what subsequently followed, similar to the S&W situation except without the dropoff being so extreme and pronounced)
- Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - 6/10
- Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation - 7/10
- Psycho Pass - 6/10

Also series like Sousou no Frieren, once I complete it, I'm sure will be on this list as well.

And some films like Akira (6/10).

Edit: Also, since I just kind of thought about how you included it in the OP, I guess Yakusoku no Neverland too (as in season one representing the series here, since I dropped season two early on) as it's also a 7/10-tier series for me, which I consider good. But I didn't list it originally as I didn't realize that it's generally considered "one of the greatest" - as in a classic or masterpiece-level thing. I guess that's true?
WatchTillTandavaApr 18, 6:27 PM
Apr 18, 5:24 PM

Apr 2021
I would say cowboy bebop and hunter x hunter

Apr 18, 5:38 PM

Mar 2019
Akira and Ghost in the Shell, fantastic movies that influence a lot of things to this day, but I don't consider them masterpieces.
Ps: Akira manga is a true masterpiece and the best version of GITS is Stand Alone Complex, at least for me of course.
Apr 18, 5:38 PM

Feb 2023
Reply to Zimmu
Frieren really fits the description. A perfect adaptation, but the story and characters are just good but not extraodinary.
@Zimmu L take on Frieren, but the GIF in your signature is exquisite
Apr 18, 5:43 PM

Feb 2023
Bloom Into You is supposed to be the best that the yuri genre has to offer. While it is good, I didn't think it was extraordinary. It just feels like "the best we can get." Personally I enjoyed Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady the most as far as yuri goes.
Apr 18, 5:55 PM

Jul 2022
Cowboy Bebop for me.

I can tell it's good, but I think it gets rave reviews because it introduced a lot of people to the medium.
Apr 18, 6:55 PM

Feb 2021
Kimi no Na wa. Yeah, it's good but no way better than Koe no Katachi.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Apr 18, 7:04 PM

Feb 2022
I'd say Erased, it's pretty good for the most part and has one of the greatest openings ever, but the mystery aspect was mostly a miss for me which diminished some of my enjoyment.
Apr 18, 11:01 PM

Feb 2021
HxH - while it does have many good qualities. Its not the greatest anime for me

Spirited Away - Not very interesting but I felt warmed at the end, idk how. It probably kinda reminded me of how I felt during my childhood watching Disney back in the day, so I was somewhat nostalgic. Kudos to it. But not a Masterpiece

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Apr 18, 11:16 PM

May 2018
"What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?"

Stuff like LOTGH, Monster, FMA:B...I gave only 6/10 to those. (Like everything I gave 5/10 and above is good in my book.)
alshuApr 18, 11:21 PM
Apr 18, 11:25 PM

Apr 2012
Hard to tell. For example, I can simultaneously say that some aspects of Yuri on ICE are very overrated due to the social climate and that the show had objective reasons to become one of the most important anime of the 10s. It all depends on the point of view. Also, for me, Baki is just a good MA battle shonen, but this is mainly due to the fact that I started following the franchise too late and therefore am not able to realize its influence and significance.
Apr 18, 11:27 PM

Oct 2021
In my opinion, it's Cowboy Bebop. I think it's good and you definitely can count it as a good classic show, but some people call it as the masterpiece of noir or count it as one of the greatest, which I don't think it's up there.
Apr 18, 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Taynix
I'd say Erased, it's pretty good for the most part and has one of the greatest openings ever, but the mystery aspect was mostly a miss for me which diminished some of my enjoyment.
@Taynix Many people love ERASED as manga, as the anime is notorious for making monstrous cuts to material and trying to adapt a whole bunch of chapters into a couple of episodes.

@BlueBullet178 You are comparing somewhat incomparable things. Bloom into you is revolutionary and significant because it is the rare non-fetishized yuri that could easily be taken as a regular romance show if one of the characters were a boy. Because the author directly deconstructed many of the toxic yuri cliches (for example, it fundamentally abandoned the all-female setting and gave the characters the opportunity to directly discuss sexuality). At the same time, Magical Revolution is a yuri wish fulfillment fantasy.

@Yuu_Kanzaki Well, the author himself called it overrated and didn't understand why it became SO popular. This is a pretty high-quality and exciting show, but as many have noted, many of its ideas are rather derivative.
RobertBobertApr 18, 11:34 PM
Apr 18, 11:32 PM

Jun 2020
Re Zero, Evangelion, Mob Psycho (still very good), and oh did I mention RE ZERO
Apr 18, 11:33 PM

Apr 2024
The absolute most of Monogatari series.

Don't get me wrong - the way how this show takes everything best and worst from the entire medium makes it worth watching it. It is not just a good adaptation, it is a show which is synonymous with the word anime itself. SHAFT clearly had much fun adapting it.

The problem is that Nisio's writing is very inconsistent - one arc may be brilliant, the next one may be just okay, another one may suck, the next one is brilliant again... this was just annoying. At some point he has even started to joke about how he is unable to not incorporate any plot armor and plot conveniences through speeches of his characters, which is just absolutely disrespectful towards the viewers (and readers if we talk about the light novels).
PostMahouShoujoApr 18, 11:41 PM
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

Apr 18, 11:50 PM

May 2021
Reply to BlueBullet178
@Zimmu L take on Frieren, but the GIF in your signature is exquisite
@BlueBullet178
Ok thanks for your compliment on that gif. But how is my Frieren take a L? I said it’s perfect adaptation, and I said the characters are good but not too stunning. I’m being very objective here when I said it. I’m not even shitting on the show lmao. It’s not like I hate the series bruh, I watched the series on payed subscription and even bought 12 physical copies of the manga after the anime finished because I enjoyed it. But still Frieren characters just aren’t extraordinarily written. There are many many more anime with interesting characters AND better written 🤷‍♂️
Apr 19, 12:29 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Maroonedisback
Serial Experiments Lain could've been halved and would still have been able to get its message across to the viewers.
@Maroonedisback I have to disagree with you on that one. 6 or 7 episodes sounds waaaaay too short to express every idea that was behind Lain. But also, a large part of the watching experience is aesthetic and not philosophical, and I think it had to be that way, otherwise it would not feel so intense, confusing and mesmerizing.

But I agree that if you just need to get one main point across (whether it be loneliness, communication using the internet, mental illness or whatever), maybe 13 episodes is a bit much.
Apr 19, 12:33 AM

Apr 2013
FMAB, Gintama, HxH, Mob Psycho, Vinland Saga
I see why people like them, but I could never get into the characters of these shows.
Apr 19, 12:42 AM

Mar 2023
Neon Genesis Evangelion and March Comes In like a Lion.
Apr 19, 1:05 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
For me, that one's definitely Vinland Saga.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Apr 19, 1:38 AM

Jan 2013
I guess the main one for me has to be LOTGH, too many idiotic plot points and hated some major story events. Still good, though.

Oh, and I saw SEL mentioned but that's a pretty big stretch, it's a cult classic, nothing more.
LostSpectreApr 19, 1:49 AM
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 19, 1:46 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Zimmu
@BlueBullet178
Ok thanks for your compliment on that gif. But how is my Frieren take a L? I said it’s perfect adaptation, and I said the characters are good but not too stunning. I’m being very objective here when I said it. I’m not even shitting on the show lmao. It’s not like I hate the series bruh, I watched the series on payed subscription and even bought 12 physical copies of the manga after the anime finished because I enjoyed it. But still Frieren characters just aren’t extraordinarily written. There are many many more anime with interesting characters AND better written 🤷‍♂️
@Zimmu I don't know why you're going to bother arguing over opinions, but your "objective" opinion is still a subjective one.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 19, 1:49 AM

May 2021
Reply to LostSpectre
@Zimmu I don't know why you're going to bother arguing over opinions, but your "objective" opinion is still a subjective one.
@LostSpectre
I don't know why you're going to bother arguing over opinions

Uh you clearly did not scroll back enough because Im not the one who was triggered by someone's opinion first. I said my opinion on Frieren and apparently someone wasn't happy about it. You gave Frieren a 10, so did I happen to make you mad and you are coming at me just because I didn't say Frieren is a godly anime? Damn.

your "objective" opinion is still a subjective one.

You thinking my opinions are subjective, but thats also your subjective opinion. So like you said, Im not gonna "bother arguing over opinions."
ZimmuApr 19, 1:54 AM
Apr 19, 2:13 AM

Nov 2023
Sousou no Frieren- 8/10
- Not that unique just markets to people who arn't familiar with the gene

spy x family- 7/10
- Its good but not that good

Mushoku Tensei S1 Part 1- 6/10
- Annoying characters l wanna stroke them. First 3 episodes are good

AOT- 4/10
- Its bad

JJK- 4/10
- its a cliched mash up wanna be and bad

Apr 19, 2:33 AM

Mar 2023
Frieren, it does everything really well but is not particually extraordinary. Solid to great show. Not quite a 10/10 just yet

A silent voice: It is a great movie but is rather inconsistent in terms of enjoyment (i.e.: first part)

Spirited away: Great movie but certainly not the "best anime movie of all time".

86: Its quite repetitive in its plot when trying to emphasise its themes. Its just okay.

Fate/ stay night Heaven's feel trilogy: The Fate/zero route is quite a bit better.
GentleDragoniteApr 19, 3:37 AM
“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
Apr 19, 2:47 AM

Mar 2024
Reply to LostSpectre
I guess the main one for me has to be LOTGH, too many idiotic plot points and hated some major story events. Still good, though.

Oh, and I saw SEL mentioned but that's a pretty big stretch, it's a cult classic, nothing more.
@LostSpectre Classics aren't above reproach, especially ones you haven't even seen.
Apr 19, 2:50 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to Maroonedisback
@LostSpectre Classics aren't above reproach, especially ones you haven't even seen.
@Maroonedisback Please learn what a cult classic is my guy, Jesus Christ.
Apr 19, 3:00 AM

Mar 2024
Reply to LostSpectre
@Maroonedisback Please learn what a cult classic is my guy, Jesus Christ.
@LostSpectre Serial Experminets Lain has a wider appeal than that of a cult classic. Who are you trying to appease by speaking on things you haven't seen?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why doesn't Hollywood take risk anymore unlike the anime industry?

Spunkert - Yesterday

45 by Archean-Return »»
3 minutes ago

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

196 by Archean-Return »»
18 minutes ago

» What makes a waifu waifu?

SgtBateMan - 3 hours ago

6 by Little_Sheepling »»
21 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 3 )

Deathlydash - Sep 19

117 by _Rearden_ »»
44 minutes ago

» Are there any cute boys doing cute things anime?

Mattenan - 2 hours ago

6 by RainyEvenings »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.