Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 8:27 AM

Dec 2021
Holy shit. I never thought Sumie would shoot Shizuma.

Shizuma stops an attempt to hurt Ohkubo Toshimichi. Then, weird stuff happens: the moon disappears at night, and wooden fish fall from the sky.

Mar 3, 8:50 AM
Sep 2015
The misunderstanding is cleared but their grudge run deeper.
Mar 3, 3:34 PM

Jul 2021
That hallucinogenic (?) scene in the burning building was eerie and interesting. Bow vs. rifle. Yakuza, knives and Gatling guns. Realizing a comrade's betrayal, standing outside the burning building. So much good stuff.

I felt really bad for Sumie in the bamboo forest scene. Doing horrible things because she lost everything, only to find out that the person she thought she lost threw away everything to find her. Her plan getting foiled by that same person. She can't face him after everything she's done. She doesn't even seem to take joy in her revenge. And her time is running out.

It feels like we're approaching the endgame now, and I'm finding myself pretty invested.
Mar 3, 8:46 PM

Jul 2008
So many plot threads all over the place. Looks like the air is cleared between the 2 mains, but Shizuma is still pissed.
Mar 7, 6:28 AM
Mar 2020
It's kinda shocking to see how poor the taste of this site's audience is when averaged out, the lowest of slop will get high scores cause it already had high scores before they got to it, and a well written anime original drama can barely hold itself above 6 because it exceeds their... idk, critical thinking skills? Attention span? I'd really like to understand one day.
Even something that justifiably gets popular like Sousou no Frieren has the bigger portion of the audience raging at the smaller one that actually analyzed the themes and motives of the writing (living with autism, in this case) for having thought deeper about a medium than "haha One punch man but elf girl" any chance they get. Its truly disappointing
Now that I have caught up with this show I must say, the pacing is insanely tight, the master stroke of fast forwarding through the forgone concluded events of episode 5 included, especially with the twist they decided to hide that way.
This is what an Anime original drama unconstrained by adapting manga panels should be.

Mar 8, 11:37 AM

Jun 2019
Another meaty and pretty fulfilling episode, but I'm a bit shocked and dismayed. Some new episodes from over the course of the past week of ongoing/airing series I'm watching (the seasonals) I only got a chance to watch or felt like watching today, including this one, so I came on to this series' page to read the predictably short and small episode discussion thread topic, only to discover when glancing at the side panel of information (on the series' main page) that the episode count has now been listed and set at 10.

Ideally it would have been at least a two-cour 24 - 26 episode sort of deal, but with a newer no-name studio behind it and an original at that, I figured that was highly unlikely from the get-go. But I thought instead we'd get 12 - 13 episodes for its one cour run at least. This is a short one and unfortunately it's definitely the type of series I see as extremely unlikely that it would come back for a second season.
Mar 10, 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
It all converges on the racetracks: Sumie meaning to shoot Ohkubo Toshimichi for the atroities atrocities of the Boshin War, but ended up being shielded by Shizuma instead.

Senri being offered to hoist the mystery on El Dorado, and the attacks on Ohkubo, it can only come from Hiramatsu Buhei as a rally to the old times of the former samurai of Satsuma. On Kyoushirou's side, they're also tracking Buhei, and Nakazawa knows the severity of the issue between fiancé and fiancée, though her chest disease is also part of the reason why she's fighting on Buhei's side.

Buhei wanting to incite war with the former Aizu domain lord Matsudaira Katamori, clearly the time of peace has come, and why would he want to restart war again to get hsi revenge, it really is baffling. Even Origasa and the rest of the police who are also after Kyoushurou and his minions, the latter has a bigger priority to rid of Buhei and the people within his cahoots, in a rather hallucinogenic burning building, which Shizuma dragged Makino just in time, and the latter proceeding to end Osanai's life to end his suffering, the same wtih Makino.

No lives are spared, though Kyoushirou's gang is still alive, and so is Shizuma and Makino, the latter now under custody.
Mar 13, 2:42 PM

Feb 2012
Shizuma and Sumie reunite in the worst way. He does not turn his fiancée in or give details. Taking a bullet for Ohkubo could earn himself hero status amongst the police, but he is no longer on the force as he has accomplished what he set out to do; finding Sumie. The ill Sumie clears up a misunderstanding with Nakazawa, but continues on the path of an assassin for Buhei. Even though Shizuma is alive, is her heart still full of vengeance for the others at Aizu?

Some Yakuza just want to be there to be a blood frenzy. The guy who rolls out the Gatling gun without any regard for friendly fire got his comeuppance. Rescuing the priest Kyoushirou meets a Shizuma who himself wants to avenge Osanai. Recall the autopsy did not give the full picture as the katana wound was not the wound that killed him. Shizuma figured this out, so Makino attempted to silence him as he did Osanai, but Shizuma protected his abdomen with his forearm.
With the priest having found his hallucinogens, the bloodthirsty Yakuza just kill envisioning each other as Kyoushirou.

Now, will we see Fujita, Kyoushirou and Shizuma team up against Buhei?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 13, 3:07 PM
May 2023
Reply to perseii
That hallucinogenic (?) scene in the burning building was eerie and interesting. Bow vs. rifle. Yakuza, knives and Gatling guns. Realizing a comrade's betrayal, standing outside the burning building. So much good stuff.

I felt really bad for Sumie in the bamboo forest scene. Doing horrible things because she lost everything, only to find out that the person she thought she lost threw away everything to find her. Her plan getting foiled by that same person. She can't face him after everything she's done. She doesn't even seem to take joy in her revenge. And her time is running out.

It feels like we're approaching the endgame now, and I'm finding myself pretty invested.
@perseii same state here, feeling bad for Sumie, and I hate the guy who is always beside her, who attacked Shizuma in ep 9.
Mar 30, 2:04 AM

Oct 2013
Another brilliant episode. Truly a rollercoaster of emotions, hitting a sweet spot between action and dialogue-heavy scenes.

I love those hallucination sequences, lol. They are always so eerie and bizarre looking. Imagine how folks affected by them must've been scared and crazed.
May 19, 8:57 AM
Dec 2020
first of all the animation this episode was horrible

second: i spent the first 6 episodes of this anime confused af. i did not know who was who, or who is with who, which is not ideal imo. finally i started piecing stuff together but there are still people who just randomly double-cross eachother for seemingly no reason and there's only like two eps left - with no resolution in sight
Jul 23, 7:29 PM

Oct 2022
Honestly, this bloodbath is just bleak AF.
There is absolutely no emotional closure to anything, no balance, no satisfaction to watching the slaughter. These crazy assassins the yakuza have hired just roll out Gatling guns and shoot through their own while laughing... but Christ, with the count of expendable pawns they've deliberately butchered in this show, how the actual fuck do they still have people willing to fight for them? And so many hundreds of them???? The pay would have to be outstanding, and with so many- that would cost the gang more than if they just didn't shoot every one of their own supporters. And with that Hunters club a couple episodes ago, they were throwing bodies in pits... at some point wouldn't the whole country be aware that hundreds- possibly THOUSANDS of people have gone missing? With the sheer number of murders portrayed in this one town in this show; how do they even perceive that a civil war ever ended??? Why would they be afraid of another starting? "Oh no! We don't want another war! We have peace! The kind of peace where two hundred people get massacred by gangsters every week- not that savage WESTERN kind of peace where people just go to work and raise families!"

Then- as you watch hundreds of innocent people get butchered "for the lulz" every minute, fuckin Shizuna doesn't ki11 Makino- because OH NO- we mustn't hurt a mass murderer in this show?????? ARE YOU SHITTING ME
Why pull your punches now? You've off'ed hundreds of people as a samurai, you aren't even acting on authority of the police anymore, and the guy who brutally murdered your friend you just... let live. WHY. To what end? Look around you BRO. That's not honor- it's betrayal, cowardice, and jacked morals. It also gives no satisfaction to the audience- just shows us all this senseless slaughter- then: "Wait wait wait! No we mustn't be VIOLENT! We let evil people live, and good people get killed by the evil!"
FUcK OFF Meiji Gekken 1874

I don't even care about any of these characters. Sumie is a psychopath. Buhei is a psychopath. Fujita is a psychopath. All the rest of the yakuza are psychopaths. All the freaks they fought in the tournament were psychopaths. Makino is a psychopath. Kyoushirou seems normal at times but is probably a psychopath. And Shizuna is definitely a psychopath. This cast is worse than in Golden Kamuy... it's just a gorefest for the sake of the slaughter. My prediction for the ending: everyone dies. The crazy dude with the gatling gun will probably not be dead and will just get up and start mowing down kids next ep or something, and the police will say "Gee willikers! Bring them to justice! We must... take them prisoner and treat them with honor!"

SuperAdventureJul 23, 7:32 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 17

23 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 6:07 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Mar 10

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 24, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 25

12 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 22, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Feb 4

10 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 22, 6:04 PM

Poll: » Meiji Gekken: 1874 Episode 3 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Jan 28

16 by SuperAdventure »»
Jul 21, 7:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.