Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2021 12:02 PM
Aug 2016
I think personally my biggest problem with the show is that it kinda fucks up its biggest strenght. What drew me in was the strong and interesting personalities of each girl- especially Neiru- and their overall dynamic. I was interested in seeing how each girl would develop and how that in turn would affect their friendship group. I didn't really even care about if the girls would save the girl they wanted to save.

But no character development really happened except for with Ai a little bit. Then ever since Rika and Momo saved their respective friend, we don't really see them interact with each other much anymore either. Feel like the anime would have been great if it just focused on the girls healing from those experiences. Instead they dragged in all these explanations that in the end made no sense at all. They also introduced a villain way too late in the story for her to have real impact.

Such a waste really.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 1, 2021 12:09 PM
Dec 2020
Everything.

(15 character limit)
Jul 1, 2021 12:09 PM
Apr 2021
Literally everything . I only gave it a rating of 5 / 10 , for the hardword of animators . But it waa just disappointment
Jul 1, 2021 12:30 PM

May 2020
First 25 minutes was a recap and then there was something which only the team which is behind this story can explain.
Maybe they should have concluded the show without this special
Jul 1, 2021 1:05 PM
Apr 2020
See I don't think anything really disappointed because, taking a look at the show the episodes that are the worst are the most plot-heavy and this episode only exists to serve the plot.
If this didn't make sense it's probably cause I wrote it with one hand only using my thumb and am super fucking tired
Jul 1, 2021 1:39 PM

Apr 2021
The optimist last moments that felt jarring and randomly tacked-on when Ai had seemingly abandoned her friends and everything felt really gloomy.
Jul 1, 2021 5:32 PM
Jan 2021
Everything honestly. I loved the anime so much, the ending threw me off of course but I had hope that the special would tie everything together.. and it did not. I’ve got no complaints about the animation, but everything else? Disappointing.
Jul 1, 2021 5:53 PM
Jul 2017
For me it was the fact that they advertised it as a one hour special and what we got was half recap and half new content. I was hoping that they’d take this opportunity to really stick the landing and end the series with a bang but they dropped the ball. Like, they already had a recap and the reason this special exists is because of that unplanned recap. So now we have to sit through another recap of an already 12 episode anime? How many times do we have to see the same stuff again? I have the anime at a 9 but this special is just a 6 for me. The first 12 episodes were great but now I’m just bummed the hell out. Why has Cloverworks been shutting the bed lately. And it sucks because the animation is really good I feel bad that the staff has to waste their time with rushing content and bad production cycles instead of being allowed to take their time to produce the finest work. A damn shame.
Jul 1, 2021 7:05 PM
May 2021
The fact that the girls the main characters were trying to save just ended up having no memory of them. This could have been handled in a way that made it less disappointing, but saving these girls was one of the main/the main goal of our heroines of the whole show, and they just kinda went “yeah that sucks.” I guess they were just happy they were alive again, still disappointing though.
Jul 1, 2021 7:26 PM
May 2020
For some reason this special episode look like it's skipping a lot of thing, the more I watch it the more question I have for this special episode, I need season 2 or else
Jul 2, 2021 2:56 AM

Jul 2016
- Just casually announced that Neiru is an AI with little to no build up or reaction.

- Apparently parallel worlds have an affect outside of wonder egg dreams and you can just take people from worlds. No explanation about it.

- The whole show was building up towards reviving the girls’ respective people and they just quickly brush off them not remembering anything.

- That one Ai walking animation.

- Time travel or something? Unless I missed it, there’s no explanation about what exactly happened to them.

This episode really just adds more questions than it answers and lacks impact. I’m pretty sure this is a build up towards a second season, but even then, there’s so much going wrong for it. There’s just too much information trying to be dropped all at once. If they made full use of the 2 episode time rather than making half of it a recap, or just slowed down the pacing and not release so much info in so little time, maybe it would’ve been better.
Jul 2, 2021 3:02 AM

Dec 2020
how our unanswered questions from the last season, left unanswered and instead we got even More unanswered questions from this. what a joke
Jul 2, 2021 4:17 AM

Jun 2019
80% of the episode was recap. The entire ending was very undeveloped and unsolved. They only give us a tiny clue about what happened to the characters.
Very nice anime but very bad ending.
Jul 2, 2021 4:20 AM

Mar 2020
What disappointed me the most is Aniplex treating Cloverworks like garbage.
Jul 2, 2021 4:57 AM
Jan 2019
well... broken animation here and there... stupid plot twist and the big reveal of that girl's suicide was... you guessed it "haha... i'm soo clumsy "
Jul 2, 2021 6:32 AM
Oct 2020
The thing that disappointed me the most is that both the animation and the story were completely disarray and egregious.

Seriously, this episode was suppose to clear the confusion left by the show but instead, we got this! Another episode that puts more textile into the flame! Great! Not to mention, the animation was no different than the story of special episode which is disappointing.

If anything, I feel like this episode was overly rushed...
Jul 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Jul 2016
The thing that disappoints me most is the story was literally better off without having this ending. Yeah, episode 12 ended with a lot of things unanswered but this special answered none of those things and instead just raised more questions.

And anything it did answer it gave a really halfassed or poorly thought out reason for. Really? Koito's suicide was because she was just seeking attention and trying to smear the teacher's name and she just accidentally slipped off the roof? That's what they come up with?
Jul 3, 2021 12:42 AM

Jun 2020
Bad animation and stupid unsolved story, the series is bad and they just make it worse lol, still want to appreciate the entire staff for did their best though
Jul 3, 2021 1:43 AM

Feb 2021
sobergintoki said:
Everything other than the animation, which I always thought was quite good with this series. It was like a turd disguised as a rose.

Voice acting too never disappointed me, that's it.
Jul 3, 2021 1:59 AM
Jul 2020
I wasn't disappointed, I was just confused.
Jul 3, 2021 3:06 AM

Jun 2020
I was so disappointed that I didn't even want to waste too many words ..

A really bad ending.

p.s I would like to understand, with all due respect, the feelings of the people who have given 5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry but I don't know English very well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 3, 2021 5:37 AM

Mar 2013
I thought a lot of new content was kinda confusing and I thought that the show abandoned its strengths by splitting up the girls but also not giving satisfying closure to any of their individual stories. Also, I was under the impression at the end of episode 12 that the people they saved were born in a parallel world and not returned to which they came - I believe it was explicitly stated in 12 or 11 that was the case. Idk, basically we got 23 minutes more and I feel like I understand the plot less than I did before those minutes
Jul 3, 2021 5:44 AM
Dec 2020
Everything.
Let's just pretend this never happened 👁👄👁
Jul 3, 2021 7:26 AM
May 2021
Everything. Half of the episode was a recap, rikka's background was so interesting for me and they just forgot about it, same thing with frill and the girls, the end didn't even felt like an ending.
Jul 3, 2021 7:47 AM
Mar 2021
Majority of what happened.
I genuinely am disappointed at the fact that literally 25-26 minutes out of the 46 minutes which were teased to be an hour episode just turned out to be a recap, WEP was an amazing anime in my books, but this episode is just disappointing,
Jul 3, 2021 12:41 PM
Apr 2021
Just everything. The more I watched the more agonising it got. Why would you just combine every single asspull explanation from every cheesy film in the past decade and lump it into the final episode. And whoever says the animation is good, just look at the scene where ai runs away from koito again...
Jul 4, 2021 1:41 AM
Mar 2021
Huemungus said:
just look at the scene where ai runs away from koito again...

That scene was just something else, but I feel bad for the animators, I don't feel like its their fault, they get mistreated and small mistakes do happen. Unfortunate how the episode turned out though
Jul 4, 2021 3:47 AM
Dec 2019
Only thing I'm sad about is it ended i would have liked a better explaination by it might have become drag that way
Jul 4, 2021 7:51 AM
Dec 2019
Unsatisfied with how they wrap this up, plot-wise. Animation was great tho, no doubt
Jul 4, 2021 7:40 PM

Feb 2021
Oh boy, where to start ?

1)how the writers tried to explain that ura and acca were evil since they said and i quote "girls suicide for emotions but men for goals" ... making the whole thing very sus, like excuse meeeeee
And they they give us that chapter wherr they create and IA just to drop her when they not longer need it, creating a monster and being more clear THE WERE THE BAD GUYS since they literally dont understand women emotions and see them as tools

But then ...nothing happens with that info...

The anime later claim IA is the bad one alone cuz she creates those weird animal looking things that killed the girls pets ...

And then they IGNORE THAT PLOT ALL ALONEEE TO MENTION ALTERNATIVE REALITIES

2) they mention alternative realities JUST TO ALSO IGNORE THAT and say well your friend was an ia ... lol

Just a mess
Jul 5, 2021 5:19 AM

Apr 2016
Honestly, more so than the recap and the Ai Neiru thing, is what they did with Koito, making her just...the worst person in a way that invalidates the entire worth of the mystery surrounding her suicide, while having no impact on Ai whatsoever. They did nothing with the fact that Ai was saved due to the existence of such a ridiculous and idiotic scumbag whose death now contradicts the rules of the show's suicide statues.

I hate this special so damn much, both due to it being an embarrassing wet fart of a sequel-bait, and due to how it actively invalidates the show in my eyes.
Jul 5, 2021 7:04 AM
Mar 2021
As a big fan of the original series, should i watch this 46 minute long 5/10 special to experience the entire series? or should i just not watch it and be given the benefit of the doubt?
Jul 5, 2021 9:24 AM
May 2016
Basically Ai's motivation to revive Koito back to life was so that she could ask her why she killed herself, why she never told Ai about what she was going through.
And yet when Koito finally got revived, she didnt even remember being friends with Ai. And who did Ai get an explanation about Koito's death from? Mr. Sawaki.
Honestly couldve just asked Sawaki in the first place and ended the anime in like 3 episodes. Couldve saved Ai from those injuries and probably saved Cloverworks some budget to use on other animes that can dissapoint us in some other creative and original ways.
Jul 5, 2021 2:05 PM

Oct 2010
I could only feel incredulity when I heard about Koito's "suicide". Yeah, what an excellent way to cover the tragic death of a 14-year-old than saying she was a bad person who tried to blackmail the teacher and fell off accidentally when she was acting suicidal to get attention and manipulate the poor teacher.

I honestly never though that a series that began showing a lot of care for its teen characters would end up indulging in a typical jumpscare tale from the most recalcitrant side of the incelverse to wrap up a teen death. The main theme of the show, something that has affected the main character so much, reduced to a misogynist scare about a freaking 14-year-old girl with a crush. Frill was awful enough but this crossed the line to me. At least Frill wasn't supposed to be human.

And then there were other things like the super inconclusive, "there's more adventure ahead", kind of dumb conclusion, specially when we can't really expect a second season (and I'm not looking forward after this). Or the whole confusing babble about AIs and parallel universes that I don't even know if it had a point but it sure confirmed that the plot twists at the end of the original series were not a good idea. Or the fact it tries to, of all characters, force empathy on Neiru, the one with the least realistic, solid or tangible backstory; and that this finale doesn't even try to solve... we just know the name of her sister now? Holy shit, I was starting to believe the sister story was a lie, that's how much we knew and how much the story cared about her family background.

This is even more of an issue because I did think that it was a great show, heck, even with the latest episodes not being that much to my liking I still found it an outstanding series in my overall thoughts. But this finale went into all the wrong directions, confirmed and made all the bad decisions even worse. And it wasn't even a closure, let alone a satisfying one. I'm glad that this can be voted separately here because the difference is abysmal.
jal90Jul 5, 2021 2:29 PM
Jul 5, 2021 2:35 PM

Feb 2018
Softhenic03 said:
First 25 minutes was a recap and then there was something which only the team which is behind this story can explain.
Maybe they should have concluded the show without this special

I was thinking the same, even if there'll be a second season, this really can bridge both seasons.
Jul 6, 2021 2:35 AM
May 2021
the reason behind koito's suicide. i think they tried to make a big plot twist since everyone thought the teacher was the villain idk but she deserved better
Jul 6, 2021 9:10 AM

Apr 2009
That instead of a proper wrap-up we got a pity party that retconned the very premise of the show. I'd be much happier if it was a plain recap with maybe 3-4 minutes at the end to make everything super ambiguous and open-ended. It was my single most anticipated anime of its season, and what it has ended up becoming exceeded my most sceptical assumptions from back when the first episode aired.

It kinda feels like I'm reliving the last episode of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and I hate it.

A perfect representation of a storywriting inclined plane.

Jul 6, 2021 9:20 AM

Jul 2020
The story of which they built in the original Wonder Egg was heavily deviated in the Special Edition. What I thought was going to be a single-hour movie were half recap. None of the people being revived remember their former friends for whatever reason, even though all three of them recognized who saved them back in episodes 11 & 12. Frill and those other AI were apparently irrelevant in Special Edition, and the conclusion was— you know... not a conclusion.
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

Is it normal

to have that many crushes?.

┕━━━━»•» 🍌 «•«━━━━┙
Jul 6, 2021 1:18 PM

Mar 2021
everything. the animation was good, but the writing was fucked up. the special didn't answer any questions we had after the show was finished and it just gave us more questions to wonder about.
boccho is love, boccho is life
Jul 6, 2021 4:16 PM
Dec 2014
So is a Season 2 completely out of the question? This series got a lot more popular than I imagine Cloverworks thought it would. And there's just so many plot holes... there's no way the series ends here...right?
Jul 6, 2021 4:21 PM

Aug 2020
That there likely won't be a S2, if there was mostly everything would of been fixed.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 6, 2021 5:40 PM
Feb 2021
The first episodes of this series were awesome, but it got worse a specially becsause (like somone else pointed out) the characters are the strong suit of this anime and they began to center more an more on the plot. A plot that even if interesting is pretty complex and with lots of threads. This special amplified this problem and by not doing the basic cinematic rule of "show, don't tell" fucked it up royally.
Though too long, I don't hate a bit of recap at the beginning,I really didn't remember it well and didn't want to rewatch it. Still too long and too little time for the story, which got me really confused, isn't that interesting, not really well-done, it lost the serie's character and really didn't wrap anything up... I don't know if they were building up for another season, but by the looks of it it wouldn't really be a warm welcome

The animators did a great job thou, like always, absolutely beautiful!!!
Jul 7, 2021 9:57 AM

Mar 2014
The fucking recap and that horrible confusing disappointing ending
RedChromeJul 7, 2021 10:01 AM
Jul 7, 2021 11:39 AM
May 2019
I’m just angry about how inconclusive it is. If there isn’t a second season, this show will go down as borderline unfinished.
Jul 7, 2021 1:55 PM

Dec 2013
Britannian13 said:
I’m just angry about how inconclusive it is. If there isn’t a second season, this show will go down as borderline unfinished.

Same, honestly I feel that if they were gonna end it like this I would have rather waited a couple years for a 2nd season.
Jul 7, 2021 6:04 PM

Dec 2013
So, I can excuse loose plot threads because I honestly didn't expect most of them to get tied up anyway. But I still can't get over the Koito reveal.

A 14 year-old who accidentally committed suicide while lying about a rape accusation (something she had already successfully pulled off, resulting in the death of someone else, but I digress) was the sole impetus for Ai's entire journey. And also, Ai had zero knowledge of any of this for an entire season, despite the two being so close before Koito died. I guess the local news, all of social media, their schoolmates, Ai's friends and her own mom just never felt like bringing any of this up because everyone found it to uninteresting?

What the actual fuck were the writers thinking. It's so utterly nonsensical and, frankly, offensive in the broader context of the show's themes. Is this some sort of machiavellian irony on the producers' part? Were we supposed to contrast Koito's shittiness with Ai's innocence and naivety, and comment on how curious it was that the former was able to unintentionally enact such cruelty on the latter after showing so much kindness? I am just so utterly LOST on where they thought they could go with this development.

Honorable mention to Neiru, though. She had already become incredibly inauthentic due to being revealed as an active super genius who foisted part of the onus of taking her friend off life support on Ai. So I walked in not caring about her. But she further goes off the deep end by being a secret robot who happily abandoned her friends at the chance being a human. Like, lmfao. Okay, sure. I can't even be upset at this, it's just so funny in a cosmic irony sort of way. What a shitshow.
WonderfulRocksJul 7, 2021 6:25 PM
Jul 8, 2021 12:40 PM
Jan 2019
Besides being super rushed. I don't know what I even watched. I thought this would conclude the anime. What was the point of this. If they wanted to do a s2 then just don't do whatever this was. Literally a rushed mess. What happened could have been fine if it wasn't rushed and took like 3 epsidoes to tell this. I guess animation was good.
Jul 9, 2021 10:33 PM
Apr 2015
When I did a writing course, one of my teachers had this mantra of "kill your little darlings" and WEP is a perfect example of that. They may have been planning the ridiculous AI killer and parallel universes plot from the very beginning, but once they found a good groove for the story, they should have realised the meaningful story they'd created no longer needed those elements.

Honestly, when you think about ep 9 (I think, the one with the Albino girl) and Neiru's overall character, it kind of makes sense that she might have been another AI, but ... you didn't have time to explain it. Cut it out, leave it alone.

They tried to shoehorn all of their favourite plot points in - especially in the special episode where the story went completely off the rails. What they really needed to do was kill those plots. It would have made a super interesting second season if the first was entirely about saving their friends from their suicides, and the second season got into the trippy stuff. They would have had time for it, too.

TL;DR: Disappointed the most with bad plotting/bad writing where they couldn't just pick one storyline and make the show about that.
Jul 9, 2021 11:25 PM

Oct 2017
The fact the beginning 25 minutes was just a recap, for one.
A big thing that drew me into the show was the exploration of trauma and how it affected each of the girls and their lives in different ways. Seeing them grow and discovering more about them was great. The parallel worlds shit made zero sense to me and it wasn't explained whatsoever.
This special just felt like a ton of random ass scenes poorly put together, lol. Focusing on the newly introduced antagonist for like 10 seconds within the whole special was weird.
Jul 10, 2021 5:57 AM
Dec 2019
The concept of parallel worlds hurt the most jeeez. There was no need for this and if it was planned, it needed to be fleshed out.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Special Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 29, 2021

322 by SenpaiTM »»
Jul 23, 4:21 AM

» Why is this episode considered worse than the others?

Lucifrost - Aug 20, 2023

11 by Piromysl »»
Aug 27, 2023 2:14 PM

» Really hoping this gets a sequel at some point

APolygons2 - Oct 6, 2022

8 by daff-quess »»
Oct 8, 2022 8:18 PM

» Change the Entry Picture request

RandomGuyScott - Aug 23, 2022

17 by pri_arts_ »»
Aug 24, 2022 8:16 AM

» So is this it, is the series over?

removed-user - Jul 8, 2021

11 by aku_mado »»
May 9, 2022 3:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.