Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 3, 2021 9:54 PM
Jan 2021
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The start of a new multi-episode arc and as I thought, the cliffhanger scene from Episode 5 shows up again here. I'm really assuming the worse happened to Dou Dou here, so I hope Cheng Xiaoshi and Lu Guang will be able to save him. Though running into Qiao Ling in the past will definitely be a complication.

The little montage in this early part of this episode reveals that last week's Special Episode/Episode 5.5 occurred before the Chen Xiao arc (I just went with the name of the client) or Episodes 3-5.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
anime-primeJul 14, 2021 5:28 AM
Jun 3, 2021 10:38 PM

Dec 2020
well shit he's caught by old qiao ling

just hoping the best for dou dou maybe he escaped from the kidnapper lady but grew up homeless idk just please be alive and let him meet his parents again
Jun 3, 2021 10:42 PM
Apr 2020
I should've binged this show, the cliffhangers are too much for me (also, wdym by 7th ep released?)
Jun 3, 2021 10:47 PM
Apr 2021
since this show is so grounded and well-researched, I'm assuming they know that if a kidnapping victim isn't killed in the first 3 hours, chances are they are usually kept alive for an extended period of time. So if Dou Dou survives the next episode, chances are he's still alive in the present

what's got me more concerned is the possible ramifications of his encounter with someone he actually knows in the present.
Jun 3, 2021 10:49 PM

Dec 2020
yet again, another heartstopping cliffhanger! i am in pain!! how will cheng xiaoshi encountering qiao ling from 3 years ago change the future/past??? theres no way to get out of this..

fantastic episode like always, i hope dou dou is okay.. i'm not so sure what the correct term is, but the mom 'regressing' into being just like her child was very sad to watch.. dad is working hard for his family, such a good father T_T

the glimpses of the past episodes were nice, was sad to see emma's case in the police book :( also, that milk tea exchange scene between the three mc's was really cute and comforting lol <3
mystriasJun 3, 2021 11:00 PM
Jun 3, 2021 11:09 PM
Oct 2019
Of course there's a cliff hanger at the end 🙄
Jun 3, 2021 11:21 PM
Feb 2021
i may cried a little in this episode 😭
Jun 3, 2021 11:40 PM
Oct 2016
I just was extremely happy that as soon as I woke up, the episode was already out. THE CLIFFHANGER THOUGH AAAAA . Actually im glad its not cramped in a single episode and we get to see the case with more depth. Like the gap Lu Guang found to tell Cheng Xiaoshi his reasoning for the word delivering service and so on. I hope that the kid will make it out alive but I'm also pretty sure that going back as himself will create a ton of paradoxes snd changes. Cannot wait till next week!
Jun 3, 2021 11:58 PM

Jan 2021
I feel I am very sensitive these days...

Very good episode, although it should be illegal these level of cliffhangers 😂
Jun 4, 2021 12:27 AM

Apr 2015
Poor parents, I hope they'll somehow be able to re-unite with their son again. Fuck not only the kidnapper(s), but those bastards who took advantage of the parents' desperation and scammed them out of their money. Aaand the episode ended on another huge cliffhanger, great. Wonder how the pair will be able to get out of that situation without changing the future. On another note, it'll be cool if Emma's murder case becomes relevant in a future episode, since the policeman is investigating it.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jun 4, 2021 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
Great new arc and episode. Human drama is getting strong. I loved it as usual.
The cliffhanger broke me again. Cheng must confront more cruel destinies. I can't imagine future progress.
Jun 4, 2021 6:23 AM
Jan 2021
_r_y_u_k_o_ said:
I should've binged this show, the cliffhangers are too much for me (also, wdym by 7th ep released?)
Last week's Episode 5.5 or Special Episode as it is called on bilibili was the 6th Episode released. This most recent episode is the continuation of Episode 5 and as such, it is labeled Episode 6 on all the legal sites it is streaming on.

7th Episode Released is just as it sounds, Episode 6 is the 7th Episode to come out. This is a result of Episode 5.5 being the 6th Episode. Next week's Episode 7 will be the 8th Episode to release, EP 8 will be the 9th, etc.
WaterzBailed54Jun 4, 2021 6:26 AM
Jun 4, 2021 6:26 AM
Mar 2016
Gdi, when i saw the kid i knew it. I was like "if this kid goes missing im leaving;" i didn't leave and am left depressed once again.

The bubble tea scene was cute. And i also just noticed that these characters are probably in their early 20's which is pretty cool since most shows are about high schoolers, cool to see some older mcs. I hope the child is okay, but judging by the way this show works i dont have high hopes :( can't wait for the next episode. I might just wait for it to end and then binge it tbh.
Jun 4, 2021 6:56 AM

Mar 2008
Hum... this episode is complicated.
This "power up" is the type of detail that may "ruin" a story with super natural powers. You don't put fanciful elements to your story to do anything you want with it, to allow the "impossible". You add it to create a game with clear rules and the rules must be respected. But you can "cheat", like they did here. That's why they only gave us that basic explanation at the beginning of episode one and nothing more. If you don't establish the rules, all the rules, clearly beforehand you can always write the rules as you go. This is what this episode did, we didn't knew everything that Lu could and couldn't do with his power so we can't say that this is a brake of the rules even if it feels a bit forced.

I want to point this clearly before commenting more because this is a series that we can easily forgive some faults, I believe people here agree, right?
Because this "cheat" wasn't used to resolve some dilemma or obstacle that the characters couldn't normally overcome. On the contrary, it was used to create a new dilemma and obstacle. The way the series keeps hammering about not changing the past, not only that but also that it's better to not change the past and instead work in the present for a better future, was making me expect that eventually they would try to change the past. The policeman didn't came asking for help with Emma's case, but he is on her cause and the possibility that she will be saved still remains, but the episode subverted expectations a bit using this "new power" to create that catastrophic encounter between Xiaoshi and Xiao.

So, again, I repeat.
What the series that in this episode was a huge risk but it survived upping the game.
As only as the core rules and commandments aren't betrayed everything goes.

Now, about the rest... wow!
THIS SERIES IS REALLY GOOD!
Man, they wanted to tell touching human dramas and they are really doing it. It's amazing how they are making me care about every single character in this. And with such elegance... The scenes with the mother in the present could be a very sad sight but only made me fell love for that couple. It also surprised me that they would involve Xiao as another person with a personal regret, and her case is scary. How many "crimes" did you see with your own eyes but never noticed? If Xiao were strolling with her friend in some other neighborhood and never had seem the news about the kidnapping she would had forgotten completely. Just think about that for a second... Maybe that's one reason why she is in the business with the other two, because she also had a regret about the past that she could change.
(special mention that the father regrets something GOOD that he did)

Technically the direction and cinematography was off the charts.
We can't have those past "sakugas" in every single scene, it's clear that half the time the animation isn't exceptional, but it works good enough and the background most than compensate for this. Not only we have a lot of backgrounds for each location a good number of them are from non-conventional angles (which makes the animators job more difficult). This makes the scenes feels more alive, specially with such exceptional transitions like in this episode chaining the emotions of the characters.

What a gem.

PaninaManinaJun 4, 2021 8:24 AM
Jun 4, 2021 12:40 PM

Mar 2008
The chinese also knows how to play with Hanzi:

Jun 4, 2021 12:44 PM
Dec 2017
this show just does not miss. such a shame theres not that many people watching it
Jun 4, 2021 1:48 PM
Nov 2020
PaninaManina said:
Hum... this episode is complicated.
This "power up" is the type of detail that may "ruin" a story with super natural powers. You don't put fanciful elements to your story to do anything you want with it, to allow the "impossible". You add it to create a game with clear rules and the rules must be respected. But you can "cheat", like they did here. That's why they only gave us that basic explanation at the beginning of episode one and nothing more. If you don't establish the rules, all the rules, clearly beforehand you can always write the rules as you go. This is what this episode did, we didn't knew everything that Lu could and couldn't do with his power so we can't say that this is a brake of the rules even if it feels a bit forced.

I want to point this clearly before commenting more because this is a series that we can easily forgive some faults, I believe people here agree, right?
Because this "cheat" wasn't used to resolve some dilemma or obstacle that the characters couldn't normally overcome. On the contrary, it was used to create a new dilemma and obstacle. The way the series keeps hammering about not changing the past, not only that but also that it's better to not change the past and instead work in the present for a better future, was making me expect that eventually they would try to change the past. The policeman didn't came asking for help with Emma's case, but he is on her cause and the possibility that she will be saved still remains, but the episode subverted expectations a bit using this "new power" to create that catastrophic encounter between Xiaoshi and Xiao.

So, again, I repeat.
What the series that in this episode was a huge risk but it survived upping the game.
As only as the core rules and commandments aren't betrayed everything goes.

Now, about the rest... wow!
THIS SERIES IS REALLY GOOD!
Man, they wanted to tell touching human dramas and they are really doing it. It's amazing how they are making me care about every single character in this. And with such elegance... The scenes with the mother in the present could be a very sad sight but only made me fell love for that couple. It also surprised me that they would involve Xiao as another person with a personal regret, and her case is scary. How many "crimes" did you see with your own eyes but never noticed? If Xiao were strolling with her friend in some other neighborhood and never had seem the news about the kidnapping she would had forgotten completely. Just think about that for a second... Maybe that's one reason why she is in the business with the other two, because she also had a regret about the past that she could change.
(special mention that the father regrets something GOOD that he did)

Technically the direction and cinematography was off the charts.
We can't have those past "sakugas" in every single scene, it's clear that half the time the animation isn't exceptional, but it works good enough and the background most than compensate for this. Not only we have a lot of backgrounds for each location a good number of them are from non-conventional angles (which makes the animators job more difficult). This makes the scenes feels more alive, specially with such exceptional transitions like in this episode chaining the emotions of the characters.

What a gem.

Definitely an interesting and refreshing analysis.
Jun 4, 2021 2:58 PM
Feb 2021
It's incredible how they create the best cliffhangers for every single episode and it's crazy how only 3000 ppl are watching it but it's the top 7 of spring 2021
Jun 5, 2021 1:18 PM

Sep 2020
Can't wait another week after that cliffhanger , next episode is going to be absolutely great , hope this arc have a happy ending .
ZXEANJun 5, 2021 7:51 PM
Jun 5, 2021 10:41 PM

Aug 2017
And yet another cliffhanger! This is a mortal sin!

I want to binge this series but uugghhh!

Jun 6, 2021 2:32 AM

Mar 2016
Every episode makes me cry. I'm going to wrangle up my close friends in to watch it with me again when the series is over. Incredible.
Jun 6, 2021 12:37 PM
Jan 2021
these cliffhangers are killing me!!!! next friday cant come quick enough!!!!!!
Jun 7, 2021 6:06 PM

May 2011
My guess is perhaps from this missing boy case, the policeman might connect Emma's case to them, since Emma is being subtly brought up from time to time in the scenes.

Although there are instances where I felt that the show may start becoming repetitive, I always ended up getting absorbed into it right after! Can't wait to see how they gonna handle this one!
Jun 7, 2021 11:00 PM
Mar 2021
@PaninaManina said it best above!

They really are telling simple stories about the heart. I get attached to EVERY person that comes up they do great job of giving you bare bones and getting you to empathize right off the bat.
one thing that I really like is the framing of the past and the big theme of regret esp. in ep 2-7
Everyone has things they wish they could change so its great thing to touch on bc regret is universal.

I REALLY hope they find Dou Dou it was so tough to watch the mom regress but that's a huge thing about trauma. Crossing my fingers for something ok to happen.

This show really is stunning!
Jun 8, 2021 5:17 AM
Apr 2019
Can I ask who are the elderly couple in the third flash scene?

First scene - the boss from the first case who was sent to jail
Second scene - the two friends who made up over the food business
Third scene - ?
Jun 8, 2021 5:49 AM

Mar 2008
PokemonArk said:
Can I ask who are the elderly couple in the third flash scene?

First scene - the boss from the first case who was sent to jail
Second scene - the two friends who made up over the food business
Third scene - ?

It's from episode 5.5, it's an extra story that doesn't advance the story.
https://www.bilibili.com/bangumi/play/ep402331
Jun 8, 2021 6:20 PM

Jan 2013
I'm definitely going to have the belief that the last arc will focus on Emma (and hopefully revive her, her death was too unfortunate!).
And if that is true, then I absolutely love how the series subtly dropped references to her throughout the show, giving us hope that her situation will have a more happy ending. Betting on Cheng Xiaoshi running into the blonde dude who might have killed Emma.

Hard to tell what will happen next episode, since I don't think we know if Qiao Ling knows of their business 3 years from now or not. How will they unmess up the situation I wonder?
Jun 9, 2021 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
jr_paperbag said:
My guess is perhaps from this missing boy case, the policeman might connect Emma's case to them, since Emma is being subtly brought up from time to time in the scenes.

Could you elaborate?
What are those other scenes that "subtly" references her?
Jun 9, 2021 11:59 AM

Jan 2013
PaninaManina said:
jr_paperbag said:

Could you elaborate?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "subtly". I guess I was just trying to say that the show is very lightly telling us that it hasn't forgotten about Emma (police finding more clues about her case on the radio report that Qiao Ling listened to in Ep. 3, and the case file of Emma in this episode) and that the show will revisit her character later, and is doing this without being a significant part of the current arc.
Jun 11, 2021 4:23 PM
Nov 2016
god this episode gives me so much anxiety and dread, in a good way. I was in the end of my seat the whole time.
they sure know how to make this as scary and stressful as possible. but I'm glad the kid comes back to his parents in the end, it took a long time but it end well so I'm glad
Jun 14, 2021 5:07 PM

May 2011
ChaosK9 said:
PaninaManina said:

Could you elaborate?

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "subtly". I guess I was just trying to say that the show is very lightly telling us that it hasn't forgotten about Emma (police finding more clues about her case on the radio report that Qiao Ling listened to in Ep. 3, and the case file of Emma in this episode) and that the show will revisit her character later, and is doing this without being a significant part of the current arc.

Yup I have the same consensus. Thanks for clarifying for me too haha.
Jun 14, 2021 6:08 PM

Dec 2020
ChaosK9 said:
PaninaManina said:

Could you elaborate?

not to mention, in the extra 5.5 episode: qiao ling mentioned that theres been a series of murders happening around
Jun 15, 2021 3:45 AM
Oct 2014
I wish Funimation would provide smoother subtitles, like it's kind of hard to get into the story when I regrettably don't speak a word of Chinese and the dialogue from my point of view is all on the quality of "the one who brings you the boba tea is not me."

Xiaoshi being able to go into the past in his own body simply by using surveillance footage is a pretty huge deal.
Jul 13, 2021 3:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow a kidnapping case now, and it's really tense, Cheng Xiaoshi is travelling with his own boy which is surprising and met Qiao Ling from the past, I wonder what will happen now :o
Jul 13, 2021 1:41 PM

Apr 2018
So if it's a photo/vid from a CTTV, he'll go back in time with his own body? Pretty cool. Kid got kidnapped and he saw Ling, bad news..

Also impressive how the dad that lost his kid still hangs in there without losins his mind..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 14, 2021 5:27 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This episode thread has been properly formatted.
Jul 16, 2021 8:02 PM

Aug 2017
The kidnapper lady is pretty fast, i wonder what's going on in the first place.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 30, 2021 3:16 AM
Jan 2021
I’m glad I waited for the full release before watching this, the cliffhanger would’ve ended me 💀. Pls why does no one talk about the amazing fade into the Ed every ep. It gets me so hyped 😩

Sep 13, 2021 8:18 PM

May 2018
Judging from how that woman that took Dou Dou looked, I think Dou Dou might be dead. I believe all the cases that the detective was looking at in the binder, and Dou Dou's abduction, are all related.

Funi subs are fucking horrible! Somebody needs to be fired!

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Jan 31, 2022 12:10 AM

Jan 2019
Whew, for a moment I thought there was going to be a plot twist where the kidnapper was Xiaoshi. I'm glad the show didn't went into crazy time travel storyline.
Feb 11, 2022 12:35 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Before I knew it, the hung up dial tone of the ed started playing

So at some times we have "don't change the past" and then later we have lines like "we can't change the past"- so can you or can you not??! I think these subpar subs are throwing me off, it should probably be something like "we SHOULDN'T change the past." So from what I understand, it's possible to change the future from the past if the nodes are affected, but they are simply trying to avoid that to prevent any possible unknown fallout that they might cause.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 8, 2022 9:58 PM

Jul 2016
Good to know the scumbag boss from Ep.1 is being someone's bitch in prison.
Apr 26, 2022 3:01 AM

Jun 2007
that begging kid really gave me anxiety at the start of the episode. both parents are working, why the kid is not in the kindergarten? that's irresponsible of them. if for some reason the kindergarten is not as available in China as it is in my country, they could've hired some old lady to watch after the kid for a few hours when it's especially busy.
realistically speaking, mom can't go back to being sane even if they find the kid, mental illnesses don't work like that. I understand that not everyone is super strong, but I wish they've portrayed the parents as being strong for the sake of their kid at least. but no they both went mental/half mental and instead of caring for each other and themselves they gave up on themselves. it's depressing to see.
see you, space cowperson . . .
Apr 27, 2022 12:17 AM

Sep 2020
Sorvarin said:
that begging kid really gave me anxiety at the start of the episode. both parents are working, why the kid is not in the kindergarten? that's irresponsible of them. if for some reason the kindergarten is not as available in China as it is in my country, they could've hired some old lady to watch after the kid for a few hours when it's especially busy.
realistically speaking, mom can't go back to being sane even if they find the kid, mental illnesses don't work like that. I understand that not everyone is super strong, but I wish they've portrayed the parents as being strong for the sake of their kid at least. but no they both went mental/half mental and instead of caring for each other and themselves they gave up on themselves. it's depressing to see.
That story is actually based on true incident.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1941612
Jun 21, 2022 8:13 AM

Nov 2018
At least he didn't meet his past self.
I hate everyone equally
Jul 13, 2022 6:40 AM
Mar 2018
In the flashback when Guang said that they will inevitably change the future, why was the old man who was in the earthquake in prison? What happened?
Next, episode 7.
Aug 10, 2022 8:31 PM
Aug 2020
One word: Continuity
Aug 15, 2022 3:21 PM
Aug 2022
The best I have seen in my entire life
Aug 25, 2022 11:14 PM
Jun 2021
歐陽我來娶妳了! is a mood
Sep 13, 2022 5:03 PM
Apr 2021
cuz i dont want to see this msg ever again
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» For anyone who hasn't yet seen this show and is about to watch it in Japanese Dub

kizumi91 - May 3, 2022

24 by Suri-Fox »»
Jun 11, 5:29 PM

» Did this Anime get a ratings boost?

redfield-9 - Jun 4

8 by KayKimii »»
Jun 4, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Shiguang Dailiren Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ilalochezia - Apr 30, 2021

79 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Jun 1, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Shiguang Dailiren Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stardew - Apr 30, 2021

171 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Jun 1, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shiguang Dailiren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

mystrias - May 20, 2021

155 by Salah_og »»
May 31, 10:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.