Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2019 5:01 PM

Feb 2019
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This is episode 18 on Crunchy Roll.

Fantastic episode. By far the most fast paced, with intense action sequences, episode of the adaption. There was some really nice sakuga, that had that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex feel, with the Ovlesser fight sequence.

Overall they are keeping in pace with the OVA adaption. This is episode 20 of the OVA. And we are on episode 18. They have not really missed much at all.
TheCommonerOct 31, 2019 5:04 PM
Oct 31, 2019 6:33 PM

Mar 2016

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
MonkeyDHunterNov 1, 2019 6:57 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 31, 2019 6:36 PM

Feb 2019
Aure0lin said:

MonkeyDHunterNov 1, 2019 6:58 AM
Oct 31, 2019 6:57 PM

Mar 2016
TheCommoner said:
Aure0lin said:
more earth cult foreshadowing at the end, hope they get to be more than saturday morning cartoon villains this time

MonkeyDHunterNov 1, 2019 6:59 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 31, 2019 7:31 PM

Sep 2012
Great episode. Music got better, pacing got better, everything is getting better.
Ovlesser's death was sadder than it was in the OVA, felt like he died while really believing his case.
Space battles tended to be a tad confusing in the 1st season of the OVA, so I am actually learning something about how they managed to win their battles. Didn't remember Mitterdude using that bait mine fieldento.

@TheCommoner
Oct 31, 2019 10:56 PM

Nov 2018
In terms of all 18 episodes of DNT released, this is probably one of the best so far. Suspense, action, music, all that good stuff, was really good.

Now we're getting into the heavy stuff, I wonder if we'll get to THAT point in the story (ep26 of the OVA series) by the end of the third movie?

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 1, 2019 5:25 AM

Jun 2017
This is what I like! The battles in this episode is heavier than the others, especially that sword battle. Though I must say, I would've preferred for that High Admiral to be tortured, but well, it is also fitting for him to be executed as a traitor. Also, a death flag for Kircheis appeared, I just hope that it's not true.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Nov 1, 2019 6:28 AM

Dec 2015
Some changes were made compared to the novel. Nothing major though and most were actually good.

Merkatz explained his doubts about Staden's plan in a dialogue with Schneider. In the novel the narrator explained this.

For Mittermeyer vs Staden I liked the novel better though. There was more detail for example about Mittermeyer leaking communication on purpose to confuse Staden. I guess they wanted to deal with this battle fast in the anime - cause it is not that important.

Rentenburg the seffle particles ... yeah I have always wondered why the melee weapons weren't creating some sparks that could ignite them. But that worked in the old OVA and in the novel as well as here. For capturing Ovlesser in the novel it was different though. With some other particles they created a hole from below in some solid floor.

Here it was (easier to explain for the viewer) that bridge with the part that got seperated maknig him fall down into some liquid.

In the novel Oberstein appeared in the conversation between Mittermeyer/Reuenthal and Reinhard when Reinhard still wanted to have Ovlesser killed - and suggested capturing him. (Then he appeared on screen and angered Reinhard.)

Later the conversation between Mittermeyer/Reuenthal and Reinhard was cut/changed from the novel. There Obestein was present and suggested his plan and already hinted at his goals. He wasn't seen explaining the stuff about Ovlesser having to act as envoy for suggesting peace. Reinhard just handed Ovlesser over to Oberstein and then next scene it was back in Geiersburg.

Liked this better in the anime here though. Better to show a reason to the viewer. (Otherwise we would have asked: "Didn't Ovlesser ask why he just suddenly got freed?")

Ansbach discussed his doubts with Braunschweig in the novel. (That Ovlesser really could have been set up in a trap by Reinhard.)

The pilgrim ship at the end appead in the middle of the chapter in the novel. Some minor changes. They omitted some background about Marinesk and Konev before they got the job with the pilgrims. Some pilgrim answered to Kircheis about needing supplies and Marinesk and/or Konev said "we transport only pilgrims no soldiers" or something like that. (No need to hide that. I guess Kircheis had just been looking for fleeing nobles of the enemy faction there even though I don't know if it was mentioned in the novel. Would have to re-read that short part in detail for that.)

So ... all fine besides the battle between Mittermeyer and Staden which was better in the novel. Other changes were okay or even really good.
Nov 1, 2019 6:55 AM

Sep 2014
I enjoyed this part much more in the OVA but the series handled this pretty well too. Those visuals were pure fire. I was honestly caught off-guard with the display of swords and those mecha-armours though. I guess I'm pretty used to just giants axes and some crossbows there. Lippdstat League is full of dumbasses barring Merkatz. Reinhard has the upper hand right now.
Nov 1, 2019 7:41 AM

Nov 2018
Luthandorius said:
Some changes were made compared to the novel. Nothing major though and most were actually good.

Merkatz explained his doubts about Staden's plan in a dialogue with Schneider. In the novel the narrator explained this.

For Mittermeyer vs Staden I liked the novel better though. There was more detail for example about Mittermeyer leaking communication on purpose to confuse Staden. I guess they wanted to deal with this battle fast in the anime - cause it is not that important.

Rentenburg the seffle particles ... yeah I have always wondered why the melee weapons weren't creating some sparks that could ignite them. But that worked in the old OVA and in the novel as well as here. For capturing Ovlesser in the novel it was different though. With some other particles they created a hole from below in some solid floor.

Here it was (easier to explain for the viewer) that bridge with the part that got seperated maknig him fall down into some liquid.

In the novel Oberstein appeared in the conversation between Mittermeyer/Reuenthal and Reinhard when Reinhard still wanted to have Ovlesser killed - and suggested capturing him. (Then he appeared on screen and angered Reinhard.)

Later the conversation between Mittermeyer/Reuenthal and Reinhard was cut/changed from the novel. There Obestein was present and suggested his plan and already hinted at his goals. He wasn't seen explaining the stuff about Ovlesser having to act as envoy for suggesting peace. Reinhard just handed Ovlesser over to Oberstein and then next scene it was back in Geiersburg.

Liked this better in the anime here though. Better to show a reason to the viewer. (Otherwise we would have asked: "Didn't Ovlesser ask why he just suddenly got freed?")

Ansbach discussed his doubts with Braunschweig in the novel. (That Ovlesser really could have been set up in a trap by Reinhard.)

The pilgrim ship at the end appead in the middle of the chapter in the novel. Some minor changes. They omitted some background about Marinesk and Konev before they got the job with the pilgrims. Some pilgrim answered to Kircheis about needing supplies and Marinesk and/or Konev said "we transport only pilgrims no soldiers" or something like that. (No need to hide that. I guess Kircheis had just been looking for fleeing nobles of the enemy faction there even though I don't know if it was mentioned in the novel. Would have to re-read that short part in detail for that.)

So ... all fine besides the battle between Mittermeyer and Staden which was better in the novel. Other changes were okay or even really good.

If every detail was added to the movie, then it would be a couple of hours long (it would be great if it was). As long as the key details were kept in and some of the details were presented in a different way to keep the flow and continuity of the episode/movie intact (and remains faithful to the novel), then I won't have any problems with this show.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Nov 1, 2019 8:07 AM

Nov 2016
God damn, this was an awesome episode. The man to man combat and the violence were really intense. Ovlesse in particular was badass as hell, too bad for him that he got played like this. Tragic death for such a warrior.

But interesting that Reinhard acted on his emotions to such a degree.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 1, 2019 9:02 AM

Dec 2015
Holy shit! The OVA melee battle were brutal and cool already, and this one is as good as the OVA (if not better)

Even tho I love the OVA armor (except the faceplate; the FPA is better), but when I watched this episode, I immediately like this new power armor/mech suit more, especially when the showed the interface inside the armor itself (which is better considering this is sci-fi show)

I actually feel bad for this Ovessler, mainly because they introduced him earlier (even for a short while) and he looks like a decent guy (aside form badass af)
Nov 1, 2019 10:12 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I must say I prefer the armour they had in the classic OVA. Felt much more raw and like hand to hand combat (and no doubt heavily influenced by the stormtroopers from Star War). But this was real well animated so I give it a thumbs up.

FMmatron said:

I don't think it'd be a spoiler to write that mentioning his one-sama is one massive trigger for Reinhardt.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2019 10:17 AM

Nov 2016
Farabeuf said:
I must say I prefer the armour they had in the classic OVA. Felt much more raw and like hand to hand combat (and no doubt heavily influenced by the stormtroopers from Star War). But this was real well animated so I give it a thumbs up.

FMmatron said:

I don't think it'd be a spoiler to write that mentioning his one-sama is one massive trigger for Reinhardt.

Oh yeah, definitely.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 1, 2019 1:00 PM

May 2018
Well I kinda feel bad for Ovalesser, he dies like a traitor that he never was, so we have them Earth Cultist getting in Krieches watch, so it looks like karma for them Empire.
Nov 1, 2019 8:37 PM

Jan 2011
episode was fucked up passage 6 would've been even more fucked up if they weren't all in armored suits.

Reinhard rage was surprising hes normally pretty good at looking level headed.

and Ovalesser faced a death of the worse kind being branded a traitor he never was.

Nov 2, 2019 2:24 PM
Nov 2018
Excellent episode. What a punishment Lohengramm set up for Ovlesser, having him executed as a traitor. Maybe he was planning to torture him first, but cooler heads prevailed. They no doubt counted on Ovlesser not being calm and smart enough to explain how he wasn't a traitor, but instead to get angry and appear as a threat, which is what happened.

Great flashback there. "Execute everyone who refuses to see the truth." Too late, he understood.

Just one thing: "Go to the left or right" of the minefield. They are making the shortcoming of the space battles a bit too obvious. In the past we could explain their two-dimensional battles as being due to the ships taking too long to turn if they would go up or down. But that is not the case here, when they are facing a minefield. They could go above or under. In fact, there is no above or under, or left or right, in space. Yet they treat it as a battle on an ocean.
Nov 2, 2019 8:40 PM

Jan 2011
really digging the sword fights an mecha suits, i never really liked the ova basic stormtroppers like armor, though the panzer grenadier were just fine
Nov 7, 2019 5:11 PM
Grammar Exempt

Jun 2016
Gaerled said:

@TheCommoner

Newcomer here. I have been planning to go back and watch the original for some time now, I just haven't had time yet. That being said, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind spoilers.

Or rather, I'm one of those people who believes that if spoilers can ruin a story for you, it wasn't a good story to begin with.
Nov 7, 2019 5:41 PM

Sep 2014
The fight was overall better in the original but this was still nice. Im looking forward to next episode. Im enjoying these "movie" episodes far more than the first season for some reason.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 7, 2019 5:55 PM

Aug 2014
At this point I should stop being so disappointed with this version. Clearly a huge difference in directing between the two. If there's one thing at all that I actually liked over the original is the scene where Reuntal and Mittermeyer kite Ovalessar back into a trap. The original OVA didn't make any sense with that scene.

I don't really understand why they changed up some of the scenes though, specifically The scene where the prince and nobles decide on whose plan to use between Admiral Staaden's and Merkatz's. For whatever reason this version made every noble look like an idiot by volunteering for a dangerous mission.

The other scene I really disliked in this version is when Ovalessar was brought to the Prince and only they + 4 other guys were in the room with them. What made this particular scene brilliant in the original was that it had seemingly every other noble in the room with him who witnessed what they probably believed to be a betrayal by a man who despised Reinhard, unsure now of who might turn traitor next.

Nov 29, 2019 8:53 AM

Sep 2012
XerBlade said:
Gaerled said:

@TheCommoner

Newcomer here. I have been planning to go back and watch the original for some time now, I just haven't had time yet. That being said, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind spoilers.

Or rather, I'm one of those people who believes that if spoilers can ruin a story for you, it wasn't a good story to begin with.

Interestingly there were some studies regarding spoilers where the researchers divided participants into two groups - one was vanilla sample, and the other was spoiled the story. Then they were asked about the enjoyment afterwards and the spoiled group ranked their enjoyment higher. Mind that it's just one study and the "slightly higher enjoyment" was within the standard deviation. But suggestion is that spoilers does not necessarily kill the njoyment and might induce anticipation. Can't find source unfortunately.

Stil some mind mind them, but you are right I think in this regard that if something was to be good only due to relying on some one twist that can be summarized into one vague spoiler, than it is not very technically mature story and doesn't seem to have much substance.
Jan 4, 2020 4:14 AM

Dec 2013
These nobles are good at falling for Reinhard's traps....
Mar 24, 2020 9:08 PM

Jan 2013
Brilliant episode, in my opinion they handled this part of the story much better than in the OVA version. 5/5
Jan 7, 2021 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
im sure that wicked psychological strategy was done by Oberstein and not Reinhard which is basically enraged in this episode
Jul 19, 2023 11:02 PM

Aug 2019
I mean if you insult his sister he’s definitely going to get mad.

Reinhard got his sweet revenge quickly

“Good Man never live long” straight up death flags for Kircheis
Sun_ChanJul 19, 2023 11:07 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Aure0lin - Nov 7, 2019

28 by MegamiRem »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:22 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 4 Discussion

TheCommoner - Nov 14, 2019

31 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 11:54 PM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Seiran 2 Episode 1 Discussion

TheCommoner - Oct 24, 2019

20 by Sun_Chan »»
Jul 19, 2023 10:30 PM

» It's now a series, not movie

removed-user - Oct 8, 2019

6 by smatos21 »»
Nov 21, 2019 10:46 PM

» PV/Trailer vid

Aure0lin - Oct 7, 2019

0 by Aure0lin »»
Oct 7, 2019 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.