Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 10, 2010 1:15 PM

Jul 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's just a coincidence that this was the 13th episode? So unlucky for the Earth Forces... It's almost sadistic 0_0

Oct 13, 2010 3:33 PM
Jun 2010
why the hell did he kill those civilians ?

Are they forcing the drama ?

May 15, 2011 1:48 AM

Aug 2009
For Captain Falcon's sake! Why are Terrestrial ships so weak?! Just one shot, and 50 civilians are dead.

(That makes us forget Frey's new emotional change)
May 21, 2011 5:13 AM

Jul 2009
As you can see, that around 10 JINN's , 4 stolen Earth Forces Gundams and 3 warships taking on the entire 8th fleet of around, 30-60 Ships , with 1 capital maybe a few heavier and the rest weaker ships + mobile armors. You can probably understand why the Earth Forces wanted their own mobile suits.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Aug 22, 2011 2:57 PM

Feb 2009
Robbini said:
As you can see, that around 10 JINN's , 4 stolen Earth Forces Gundams and 3 warships taking on the entire 8th fleet of around, 30-60 Ships , with 1 capital maybe a few heavier and the rest weaker ships + mobile armors. You can probably understand why the Earth Forces wanted their own mobile suits.

Just my thoughts. Mobile armors are just too overpowered. Don't like it :/
And that bastard killing the civilians in the shuttle...unforgivable! KIRA SHALL DELIVER DIVINE PUNISHMENT!!!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 22, 2012 4:30 AM

May 2009
supersayen said:
He didn't know that there were civilians on that ship.
Jan 29, 2013 8:45 PM

Aug 2010
Yzak is so evil, gotta love it
May 4, 2013 7:23 PM

Nov 2011
Jul 8, 2013 11:54 PM

Jul 2008
Okay Flay is still psycho. And good grief how can the Earth Forces not be able to do ANYTHING against such a small force? That's ridiculous.

And I guess good thing Kira wasn't on that shuttle right?
Jan 17, 2014 4:38 PM

Nov 2012
guidodi said:
This anime just keeps getting worse, this episode was terrible. What is the point of sending like 50 battleship if the can't even shoot down a mobile suit. I know they are suposed to be the best but the way the kill everyone and destroy ship with only one shot is atupid. Why can't the strike do the same thing??
Well since you obviously missed it there were ZAFT mobile suits flying around, but they don't really matter since they're not vital to the story. The Gundams are supposed to be the best in all since it was supposed to change the tide of the war, but they were obviously stolen.
How can Kira do the same when he is constantly in a battle with a Gundam?
Jeez it's like you're not watching the show.

supersayen said:

He killed them because they blocked his aim when he tried to lock onto Kira, he also thought they were soldiers fleeing from battle.
Feb 9, 2014 6:34 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The imbecilic Yzak character is really detracting my enjoyment from an otherwise gripping, well made, dramatic space show. Worst thing is that they'll probably keep him around for the whole show.

I don't get Flay. She obviously is unstable after seeing her father killed, but going from hating Coordinators to kissing Kira in order to get him to fight is completely unexpected.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 9, 2014 6:45 AM

Mar 2008
Marzan said:
I don't get Flay. She obviously is unstable after seeing her father killed, but going from hating Coordinators to kissing Kira in order to get him to fight is completely unexpected.
Perhaps she has a CUNNING PLAN.
Feb 12, 2014 6:42 PM
Mar 2013
Well this episode was pretty boring. Nothing like watching 15 minutes of lasers and the same ships blowing up again and again.

Of course we can't forget about all the memorable lines we keep hearing. My personal favorites are

"They've broken through the defensive line!" or the "They've already destroyed half of the fleet!"

I hate Yzak for destroying the civilian ship. He thought it was full of runaway soldiers but even if he knew they were civilians I believe he would've shot anyway. That's just the kind of hot-headed slimeball he is.

The drama felt a bit forced and ridiculous. Why did Halburton wait until the last second to release the escape pod? He should've released it long before the ZAFT mobile suits came anywhere near his ship. What a fail.

Hopefully the next episode will be better.
Jan 6, 2015 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Wonderful episode, immersive storytelling even if there are many scenes recycled, oh well!
Plot that moves forward slightly, but the growth of Kira continues unabated.
Drawings and animations good, look forward to the next episode.
Yzak must suffer greatly before burst, is a bastard!
Jun 3, 2016 6:42 PM

Apr 2016
Yzak sucks, Flay sucks, Kira and his friends are starting to suck, and I am starting to not like this series by this point.

Damn Yzak blowing up those civilians, not even Nena Trinity from 00 (who did the same thing) was as bad given simply because unlike Yzak, she was a competent pilot.

Flay manipulating Kira like that, what a wench. She even kidded him behind Sai's back, and we KNOW that kiss was fake.
Jun 8, 2016 5:10 AM

Jun 2012
This really reminds me the original Mobile Suit Gundam when Amuro entered atmosphere with that weird tissue xD

Let's hope that the Earth arc becomes somehow better. This Gundam show really reminds me of Tomino's works.
Aug 30, 2017 4:40 PM
Aug 2017
Strike Gundam! Deliver CELESTIAL JUSTICE!!!!!
Whoa! Kira and Flay kissing??
Damn. But cool.
Sep 8, 2017 3:41 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
I LOVE FLAY! Once again Kira is slow to protect, fuck man Seed really want to push him off the edge or something......lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 3, 2020 11:34 PM

Aug 2018
I figured the refugees were going to get it. ZAFT just lost whatever honor it had.
May 9, 2021 4:09 PM

Sep 2017
[Cry] Agh! your highness, you didn't have to go that far!
Kissing that filthy coordinator for the sake of mankind...
This amount of sacrifice can only be done by Queen Flay!
Truly, her kindness is endless like space itself! [Cry]
Oct 16, 2021 7:37 PM

Apr 2016

This protective gel for reentry is a pretty interesting idea. Seems like it could have a good use for protecting ships from incoming lasers.

billng said:

terrablu2003 said:

supersayen said:

CodeBlazeFate said:
Damn Yzak blowing up those civilians

I don't get the hate for Yzak. We the audience knew that there were civilians on the shuttle, but Yzak had no reasonable way of knowing that. The only civilian bystander he was aware of was Lacus, and she had already been transferred off of the Archangel back into ZAFT's hands. Lacus was apparently not questioned as to what she saw inside the Archangel, so again ZAFT doesn't know that there were civilians from Heliopolis. Even if ZAFT had found that out from Lacus, ZAFT didn't know that the civilians were transferred from the Archangel to the admiral's ship. It's pretty reasonable to assume that a shuttle escaping from the admiral's ship is probably carrying key Earth Forces personnel, possibly the admiral himself. Rau Le Creuset apparently viewed the admiral as one of Earth's best admirals, so from ZAFT's perspective there is a good chance that he would have been on the shuttle. Militaries generally don't let their best men die when they have a chance to evacuate them.

The ONLY inkling of info Yzak received was Kira saying "No! Don't shoot!" (which could have meant anything, such as Kira trying to save other Earth officers). Yzak was also reentering the atmosphere in a machine that cannot survive reenty. He was under pressure to deal as much damage as he could before trying to escape and survive. This is war. Yzak can't stop for 5 minutes to think through all possible scenarios. He has to make a choice RIGHT THEN AND NOW and go, or else he's dead. In the situation he was in and with the information he had access to, shooting the shuttle was the right call.

Knowing the genre conventions of anime writing, yeah they're probably trying to make Yzak look evil, but in this instance it doesn't quite work, at least if you're adhering to Western standards regarding war.

emeraldrosary said:
I hate Yzak for destroying the civilian ship. He thought it was full of runaway soldiers but even if he knew they were civilians I believe he would've shot anyway. That's just the kind of hot-headed slimeball he is.

I'm hard pressed to think of any nation during wartime that wouldn't pass up the opportunity to eliminate as many enemy personnel as possible, even if they were fleeing. That's a rather standard tactic (ie, shooting surrendering Vietnamese and Japanese soldiers, the Highway of Death, etc). That isn't to say it's morally right, just saying that it's nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to the standards for modern warfare. Then again, victor's justice and hypocrisy starts coming into play here, as nations regularly try and execute the people they defeat for "war crimes" while their own men who committed the very same actions get let off the hook.

NoviSun said:
I figured the refugees were going to get it. ZAFT just lost whatever honor it had.

Even if Yzak had known beforehand, does the actions of one soldier reflect on the disposition of an entire civilization?

Thus far, it seems that ZAFT has the moral high ground in the war. Earth were the aggressors and wiped out an entire colony. We haven't heard of the Earth suffering from any large scale massacres, so it seems that ZAFT has most graciously refrained from responding in kind and wiping out Earth cities. If New York was hit by a nuclear weapon, you certainly wouldn't see the United States holding back.
Valyrian1124Oct 16, 2021 7:47 PM
Oct 16, 2021 8:50 PM

Apr 2016
Valyrian1124 said:

This protective gel for reentry is a pretty interesting idea. Seems like it could have a good use for protecting ships from incoming lasers.

billng said:

terrablu2003 said:

supersayen said:

CodeBlazeFate said:
Damn Yzak blowing up those civilians

I don't get the hate for Yzak. We the audience knew that there were civilians on the shuttle, but Yzak had no reasonable way of knowing that. The only civilian bystander he was aware of was Lacus, and she had already been transferred off of the Archangel back into ZAFT's hands. Lacus was apparently not questioned as to what she saw inside the Archangel, so again ZAFT doesn't know that there were civilians from Heliopolis. Even if ZAFT had found that out from Lacus, ZAFT didn't know that the civilians were transferred from the Archangel to the admiral's ship. It's pretty reasonable to assume that a shuttle escaping from the admiral's ship is probably carrying key Earth Forces personnel, possibly the admiral himself. Rau Le Creuset apparently viewed the admiral as one of Earth's best admirals, so from ZAFT's perspective there is a good chance that he would have been on the shuttle. Militaries generally don't let their best men die when they have a chance to evacuate them.

The ONLY inkling of info Yzak received was Kira saying "No! Don't shoot!" (which could have meant anything, such as Kira trying to save other Earth officers). Yzak was also reentering the atmosphere in a machine that cannot survive reenty. He was under pressure to deal as much damage as he could before trying to escape and survive. This is war. Yzak can't stop for 5 minutes to think through all possible scenarios. He has to make a choice RIGHT THEN AND NOW and go, or else he's dead. In the situation he was in and with the information he had access to, shooting the shuttle was the right call.

Knowing the genre conventions of anime writing, yeah they're probably trying to make Yzak look evil, but in this instance it doesn't quite work, at least if you're adhering to Western standards regarding war.

emeraldrosary said:

I'm hard pressed to think of any nation during wartime that wouldn't pass up the opportunity to eliminate as many enemy personnel as possible, even if they were fleeing. That's a rather standard tactic (ie, shooting surrendering Vietnamese and Japanese soldiers, the Highway of Death, etc). That isn't to say it's morally right, just saying that it's nothing out of the ordinary when it comes to the standards for modern warfare. Then again, victor's justice and hypocrisy starts coming into play here, as nations regularly try and execute the people they defeat for "war crimes" while their own men who committed the very same actions get let off the hook.

NoviSun said:

Even if Yzak had known beforehand, does the actions of one soldier reflect on the disposition of an entire civilization?

Thus far, it seems that ZAFT has the moral high ground in the war. Earth were the aggressors and wiped out an entire colony. We haven't heard of the Earth suffering from any large scale massacres, so it seems that ZAFT has most graciously refrained from responding in kind and wiping out Earth cities. If New York was hit by a nuclear weapon, you certainly wouldn't see the United States holding back.
lol that was a 5 y/o post I made. I just remember Yzak was rly dumb here, not even evil, just painfully stupid and reckless to the point of being dislikable, but I haven't even seen this damn show since then so idfk or remember the context well, I just know he did get better, eventually.
Jan 8, 2022 9:55 AM

Oct 2013
i hate spacenoids so much it's unreal
Oct 22, 2022 2:44 PM

Nov 2016
Yoooooo wtf, it's truly an insane episode when the kiss wasn't even the most shocking part(Flay is a manipulative bitch after all)

The battle was intense, the likeable admiral died like a Chad and Yzak made a tragic mistake.

Ironic how joining the military saved the lives of Kira, Flay and the others.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 24, 2023 11:34 AM
Jul 2023
Radnitzky1890 said:
i hate spacenoids so much it's unreal

Sounds a lot like Blue Cosmos there.
You might have some prejudice of your own. 😊
Sep 3, 2023 6:44 AM
Mar 2022
Well that just happened :(
Nov 11, 2023 10:24 PM
Oct 2014
Mobile suits are too overpowered in this series.
Seems unrealistic.
Dec 10, 2023 2:47 AM

Jul 2017
I hope yzak gets the most cruel end in the show, togheter with that evil girl Flay
''Touch the darkness inside me''

May 19, 9:44 PM

Dec 2022
Captain Ramius yet again flexing her exemplary uselessness. she has been fantastically useless this entire series
based Kira staying based in the face of sure terror & death
wow that was really fucked up to shoot the escape craft things are gonna get ugly now

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 39 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

15 by gannoncannon55 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 38 Discussion

Zerachroma - Aug 27, 2008

27 by gannoncannon55 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 37 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

15 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 1, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 36 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

16 by gannoncannon55 »»
Jun 1, 8:41 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Episode 35 Discussion

Flaecy - May 16, 2010

20 by gannoncannon55 »»
May 31, 11:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.