Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 28, 2020 6:04 AM

May 2016
This was an amazing episode especially when it's compared to the previous one! In addition to getting to know more about that mysterious old lady, she was also the one that revealed the actual events that happened to Tsukiko in the parking lot. Even though Shounen Bat's apparently made up by her, there's a feeling that I can't shake off that the real mysterious offender's different from the imaginary character that started it all and the delusional copycat that continued it. I'm looking forward to find out.

That corrupt cop really is irredeemable... That moment when Taeko found out about her dad voyeuring her using a hidden camera gave me real chills. The only way she'd even remotely forgive the guy is if she completely lost her memory and she got just that.

May 31, 2020 12:30 AM

Mar 2014
Absolutely disgusting. To find out that your own dad moved you guys to a nice bigger house only to find a hidden camera in your bedroom... Poor girl. Crazy how all of the victims are connected in a way. Also this explains why the dirty cop wanted the women to call him "daddy"... eeugh...
Jun 17, 2020 2:32 AM

Jul 2016
Okay so the reason why Sagi didn't have a connection to Ichi makes sense now...

Taeko didn't want things to change and didn't want to grow up, but once they moved to the new house she found that she was being filmed in that way, she couldn't have that innocence ever again, so she forgot her memories which gave her back her innocence.

Interesting.
Aug 14, 2020 10:22 PM

Jul 2020
WTF, that police officer is really disgusting!!!

And if the Chief’s theory about Sagi is true, there’s a possibility that she created Shounen Bat herself. It will make sense since she’s struggling to make a new character after Maromi.

But I’m still speculating how Taeko got attacked. So there’s also a possibility that the Shounen Bat who attacked her is just self inflicted as she wants to escape her reality.

And like the other victims as well, maybe if was also self inflicted so they can be freed like what Yuichi told his tutor Harumi.

Mind blowing so far and hopefully the succeeding episodes will live up to this.
Nov 2, 2020 6:53 PM

Feb 2020
WAIT so the Shounen bat doesn't really exist??
And the media helped spread fear that there was one?
I know Hirukawa is a sick bastard but I don't want to believe he would do such an awful act on his own daughter. He must have a heart. If he is under it he is not even human.
I'm also really curious if or how all the attacks are connected.
Mar 21, 2021 4:05 AM

Aug 2012
One thing I didn't mention last episode because I was being a negative Nancy, was how interesting I thought it was that Tsukiko was the only victim that wasn't asked to identify Shonen Bat. And I feel like the reveal here really worked, and I'm definitely interested to see where it goes moving forward, how supernatural are we going to go here? With the fact that Maromi is sentient to Tsukiko at least, I wonder if Shonen Bat is just as real as Maromi. If her falling down was just her imagination whacking her again, just because it was timed with Taeko doesn't mean they're related. This episode made it seem like Taeko and the Grandma were related with how they cut their stories together, or how her hope for the home to be destroyed was timed with the grandma's shelter being blown away. Taeko could've just been hit with some debris or something, or maybe hit her own head on the railings to become empty. It's definitely intriguing.

And yes, Paranoia Agent was back in full swings, this episode was strong once more. I definitely found the Tsukiko stuff more interesting rather than the stuff with Taeko or the Grandma, but they were still good stories expertly weaved together with these cinematic transitions and thematic ties. I do agree with AngryAlchemist's nitpick, it seemed stupid how easily Hirukawa made it for his daughter to discover his pictures of her. And yeah, it was pretty clearly Hirukawa, though I do like how the episode waited for that reveal. And Hirukawa really is just the worst person.
Apr 21, 2021 5:04 PM

May 2017
Not a defense of Hirukawa (who yes, is obviously a cretin) but I never got the sense that he was into children himself. My immediate reaction was that he was selling those pictures for more income, or giving them to the yakuza toward the same end. The show hasn't hinted at all to this point that his daughter suffered any physical abuse, and Hirukawa has been frequenting prostitutes for years that have been, again to our knowledge, at least in their twenties. Yes, I realize he has his sickening "Call me Daddy" catchprase but he could (and would) have gone a lot younger had his tastes run that way.

The character flaw at the top that cascades down through all the others, however, is his insatiable greed for fast and easy money to support the lifestyle he wants for himself and his family. To that end, we have been shown already that Hirukawa (as well as everyone else in this show, apparently) have an exceptional ability to compartmentalize their behavior, their ideals, and their self-image in an effort to escape facing reality. One of many motifs running through the show.
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Jul 29, 2021 9:33 PM

Mar 2018
Well that's one way to follow up on a bad episode, just drop a masterpiece right after it and people will forget it.

The amount of pure jaw dropping shock value this episode provided was immense, nothing but masterclass work.
Aug 24, 2021 2:32 AM

May 2019
Enjoying how the characters intersect and overlap and appear. The characters are so well developed within moments of 'meeting' them. I can't get over how well these characters are written and designed.

I'll say it again, the way these episodes are like short stories with a central premise is really captivating.

It's interesting to watch Keiichi slowly mentally degrade due to shonen bat, I wonder if he'll get attacked at some point.

What the old woman said "she was by herself..." What?

This episode was directed and edited so well. Between the detectives questioning the old woman and Tsukiko and the cuts to the granddaughter it sure built up tension.

And then it got REALLY creepy...

Interesting twist there with Tsukiko.

Oct 15, 2021 5:38 PM

Jul 2016
so that's why he liked that nickname...
Dec 11, 2021 9:21 AM
Nov 2020
The dad is literally so gross.
Feb 28, 2022 6:15 AM

Dec 2018
Seriously awesome episode. The mystery never lets off. The plot keeps on thickened.

This show would probably be a pretty rewatchable mystery thriller by the end of it, which isn't really a common thing.
. . .
Aug 22, 2022 3:37 AM

Jun 2020
Okay that was a fucking masterpiece. This episode was highly disturbing, in a good way of course. I love the confusion this episode gives me. Thank god Shounen Bat isn't what I thought he was from the last episode, thank fucking god. We could classify ep 6 as a filler tbh. But man, this episode was amazing. I loved the OST. From thhe preview of the next ep, it seems like the next episode is going to be a masterpiece as well.

Mar 22, 2023 10:42 AM
Jun 2022
A strange episode, which shows an introspection of the culprit's surreal psyche! Poor cops! xD
Apr 25, 2023 2:59 PM
Feb 2019
brilliant episode
Sep 18, 2023 3:00 AM
Aug 2022
I don't know in how many days they build houses in Japan but it took too long for the police to talk to the homeless woman.
Feb 1, 6:16 AM
Jan 2021
Thank GOD episode 5 was just a filler and SB isn't actually that kid (I think? Hopefully).

SB might just be made up by everyone, but I'm hoping for a cooler answer.

Tsukiko faking it? Confirmed at this point, and with her imagination, she probably believes that she saw SB.
Kawazu? He was desperate for a story. He would definitely fake being attacked by SB.
Ushi? It feels weird that he would make it up, but considering how he responded to the photo of Ishi being spread, I think he would also lie about SB for Ishi so that the other kids would stop assuming he's SB.
Ishi? He would definitely lie about seeing SB to get his life back.
Harumi/Maria? Her mental battles were all manifested physically for her. Perhaps her mind needed SB to get rid of Maria.
Hirukawa? The copycat attacked him and got caught.

SB being made up by everyone IS a possibility, but I think it's more likely that the copycat SB started attacking people from Ushi onwards, as his retelling of the story starts from Ushi and not from Tsukiko or Kawazu. To support this, we also see the glint from the copycat's braces in ep 2 when he turns around and smiles at Ichi (although this might just be a comparison towards Ichi and not something to go off of).

Or maybe Kawazu was actually attacked in ep 1? It does seem weird that Tsukiko would see SB a second time if it was all just for her to fake it, especially with how confused she seemed. Not only that, but in ep 2 she says 'I think I met him once before' when watching the news. At first I thought she was talking about Ichi, but I think she might be referring to the SB that stopped in front of in ep 1.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 8, 2009

139 by hentailuvr42069 »»
Jun 11, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

106 by prozyne »»
Jun 8, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

katsup - Apr 3, 2008

217 by luffySai »»
Jun 6, 9:05 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Frash - Oct 4, 2008

193 by sadeen123 »»
Jun 1, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.