Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 23, 2009 12:04 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now that I've watched episode 2 I've decided to bail out. Sure, it looks nice, but essentially this is a "bodice ripper" and I'm just not into spending time watching the Japanese equivalent of a Harlequin romance.
Jan 30, 2009 9:32 PM

Jan 2008
Wait until you see ep3....o wait, it gets even worse. Womanizer plus a bunch of whores...they must have different definition for "masterpiece" in Japan.
Jan 31, 2009 2:53 PM

Jan 2008
I liked the ending to this episode. This series is definitely my cup of tea though, and it's target audience seems to be middle-aged/elderly people. Dropped.
Jan 31, 2009 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
I think it's really hard to appreciate this piece if you don't know or appreciate the history and culture behind it. This was life during Heian Japan, and they're doing a great job of bringing to life the novel in animated form. :)
Feb 7, 2009 6:55 PM

Jun 2008
^ I agree. I like the setting a lot so I will keep watching :)
Apr 1, 2009 3:19 AM

Oct 2008
When will they sub this? Does anyone know?

I like it. Character design kinda reminds me of old anime style.
Apr 1, 2009 5:48 AM

Mar 2008
Rebella said:

episode 2 was subbed today by Live-eviL subs! a decent show.. well, just like all noitaminA's shows seem to be
Apr 1, 2009 6:54 AM

Oct 2008
soulelle said:
Rebella said:

episode 2 was subbed today by Live-eviL subs! a decent show.. well, just like all noitaminA's shows seem to be

YAY thank you!! ;***
can't wait!
Apr 2, 2009 12:23 PM

Jul 2008
I love the romance and intrigue this series is creating.
Three Thousand Realms in a Single Moment
Apr 4, 2009 2:48 PM
Dec 2007
dbaranyi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Now that I've watched episode 2 I've decided to bail out. Sure, it looks nice, but essentially this is a "bodice ripper" and I'm just not into spending time watching the Japanese equivalent of a Harlequin romance.

Well, it's more like all the romance works ever done (at least in Japan) derived from the Genji, which is THE masterpiece of Japanese litterature (written more than 10 Centuries ago at the end of the Heian period, just to explain the setting a bit...). The original work is like (to sum it up and simplify at the very maximum) "War and Peace" and "Don Juan" put together and at the same level of writing as the best Shakespeare plays, if not better.

Hard to translate into anime form though, it would have deserved more than a hundred episodes directed like Legend of the Galactic Heroes in shoujo form just to have a slim chance to do the novel justice. Instead, there are only 11 and a very limited budget, so even if Dezaki directs this adaptation, I'm very doubtful about whether or not he can achieve anything in the course of the series (maybe only an excerpt from the "rise to power" part of the Genji?). Still, this second episode was as good as the first, even if it is very difficult to understand it properly if you haven't read the novel or haven't any clue about the Heian period and how the prince totally crushes all the traditions and boundaries of his time. I guess it's mainly aimed at Japanese viewers or the few of us foreigners who know the history of Japan.

By the way, if you want good references on the original work, Albert De Morcerf reads the Genji in the last episode of Gankutsuou after his father's and Monte Christo's death in the plane, and Murasaki, the heroin of Kure-nai, is inspired (if not litterally taken from) the main heroin of the Genji (which coincidentally led historians to call the writer of the Genji whose name is unknown, Murasaki Shikibu, or "Murasaki, the daughter of the Minister of Rites").

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 7, 2009 6:37 PM

Jan 2009
Jacut said:
dbaranyi said:

Well, it's more like all the romance works ever done (at least in Japan) derived from the Genji, which is THE masterpiece of Japanese litterature (written more than 10 Centuries ago at the end of the Heian period, just to explain the setting a bit...). The original work is like (to sum it up and simplify at the very maximum) "War and Peace" and "Don Juan" put together and at the same level of writing as the best Shakespeare plays, if not better.

Hard to translate into anime form though, it would have deserved more than a hundred episodes directed like Legend of the Galactic Heroes in shoujo form just to have a slim chance to do the novel justice. Instead, there are only 11 and a very limited budget, so even if Dezaki directs this adaptation, I'm very doubtful about whether or not he can achieve anything in the course of the series (maybe only an excerpt from the "rise to power" part of the Genji?). Still, this second episode was as good as the first, even if it is very difficult to understand it properly if you haven't read the novel or haven't any clue about the Heian period and how the prince totally crushes all the traditions and boundaries of his time. I guess it's mainly aimed at Japanese viewers or the few of us foreigners who know the history of Japan.

By the way, if you want good references on the original work, Albert De Morcerf reads the Genji in the last episode of Gankutsuou after his father's and Monte Christo's death in the plane, and Murasaki, the heroin of Kure-nai, is inspired (if not litterally taken from) the main heroin of the Genji (which coincidentally led historians to call the writer of the Genji whose name is unknown, Murasaki Shikibu, or "Murasaki, the daughter of the Minister of Rites").

Interesting explanation.
Makes me more impatient to find out but have no time for RAWs of this.
May 25, 2010 10:06 AM

Dec 2009
dbaranyi said:

LOL Funny, that's EXACTLY what I was looking for this time around. No epic adventure, no mechs or space travel, & definitely no -what do they call it? Fanservice? I wanted just an all-around, sigh-inducing, adult romance with a good story to prop it up. There's so much of it, though, I can only take it a couple episodes at a time. No marathon here, that's for sure.
Aug 19, 2011 6:50 PM

Feb 2010
Currently marathon-ing this series... not too hard to do. the historical aspects are awesome and I enjoy the setting... the clothing... it feels like art.

Another soothing episode, but not as strong as the first episode imo.

On to episode 3!
Nov 15, 2014 10:46 PM

Jul 2012
LOLOL Genji...What a player. He gets all the ladies. "There's nothing on the paper" "That's because my feelings are overflowing and can't be expressed on a mere paper" Smooth!
May 30, 2020 11:32 PM

Jul 2008
Okay...is this just about womanly conquests?
Nov 1, 2020 1:08 AM

Aug 2015
Whew lad.

So Genji was married at age 12. And his estranged wife Aoi is 4 years older than him, therefore only a year younger than his stepmother - the stepmother that Genji still pines over and secretly watches. And now Genji is successfully seducing his... sister in law? She's the widow of the crown prince - the crown prince being Genji's half brother. The deceased crown prince is the one Aoi actually wanted to marry, which is why she hated Genji from day 1.

Also, Aoi's brother Chujo is Genji's closest friend. Chujo is also a womanizer, and he even encourages Genji's womanizing ways despite Genji being married Aoi. Chujo himself unsuccessfully pursued the crown prince's widow and is currently salty over Genji's success.

Good god what a mess of interpersonal relationships lol

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which do you consider better/more enjoyable: 1987 movie, 2009 series, both of them?

astra_moon - Feb 22, 2022

2 by AngelsArcanum »»
Aug 27, 2023 3:51 PM

» Who is the woman who shows up in the beginning of this series?

removed-user - Dec 1, 2021

0 by removed-user »»
Dec 1, 2021 1:54 PM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 5 Discussion

noteDhero - May 12, 2009

7 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:51 AM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 4 Discussion

sugarplumfairy - May 3, 2009

6 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:23 AM

Poll: » Genji Monogatari Sennenki Episode 3 Discussion

passerby5 - Feb 1, 2009

11 by whither »»
Nov 1, 2020 1:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.