Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2011 9:43 AM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Slight drop in animation quality coupled with half the length was disappointing. It's not that big a deal though. The movements are still better than most 90's shows.

Narses had a point about the slavery reforms. Arslan is a noble person, yeah, but maybe he was born too early. No one but him - not even his closest retainers - really cares about civil rights. When slavery is such a big part of the economy, and when overall nation is in a chaotic state, I find it unlikely that the citizenry would accept abolition.

Arslan's army did well on their first conflict. I would have liked to see more screen-time put into the siege though. The castle was supposed to hold out for days, not hours, yet the reinforcement's commanding officer immediately believed it had fallen. Not only did he not bother reinforcing, he didn't even identify the messenger. I'd feel better if there had been some focus on the dynamics of the relationship between all the players. I'd even like to see Arslan's side scrambling for cost-effective siege weaponry, and maintaining supply lines during an extended struggle.
Jun 7, 2011 2:48 AM

Sep 2008
If Arslan does manage to abolish slavery in his lands, I would say that would be highly unrealistic. Wasnt as good as the last two eps but it was good enough I guess.

A lot is happening in the story and its a bit hard to keep up with; Another thing I noticed was how the anime shows points in plot but doesn't always show the progression. Story/narration shows points A and then B, but doesnt show you how it got there. I think this anime could have used some name-plates, more commentary by the narrator and monologues like Lotgh.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 22, 2012 11:30 PM
Mar 2012
At the time I didn't know but parts 3 and 4 were shown together, Elam now has a deeper voice and they name the capital Ecubatana, confusing yes. The animation quality is not as good as it had been first two episodes, also someone rightly said here the story is a bit confusing now too, the first two episodes were more real time whereas this one and the next skips days or weeks in seconds. Suddenly Arislan's band of heroes has a big army capable of retaking the capital, Gieve is a ponce and causes more trouble than anything this episode. Combined 3 and 4 definitely are lesser than the first two, the only thing where it wins is the ending credits, with the many character models on display, Arislan still looks like a pansy. Princess Arislan! Yes Arislan is an idealist, funny how Narsus wanted to abolish slavery and went to live in the forest to be a drunk and paint bad art cos the King didn't grant this, now Arislan had the balls to do it he speaks ill of his new liege? No pleasing some people but yes it is easier said than done implementing such things, as with the previous episode, freeing slaves is ideal but the path isn't easy for them. Whoever that Castle commander was, he was stupid but he had the honour of being slain by Daryoon! 'You won't live to see my men defeated! YARGGHHHHH' 'YARGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!' Daryoon ends the foolish Lusitanian's life with one slash. To add some confusion this episode ends with Arislan encountering a female Lusitanian soldier (Not a male that looks like a girl, which in this series is the standard sheesh), this scene would be replayed later on, bear in mind I saw this together as one episode so it made no sense to show this and jump back a week or so in timeline with no narration. Just to say, the Lusitanian king is an Ah Dou! (Term coined for Liu Bei's useless successor in Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, who gave up Shu Han kingdom for a bribe) He is more concerned with winning Tahamaney's heart, well she is a beauty though you hardly get to see her throughout the series
Jun 18, 2012 8:48 AM

Apr 2009
I was surprised it was only near 30 minutes of an episode instead of the usual almost one hour duration like the first two. It got shorter but now we got more introduced characters which I think is inevitable anyway. At least he finally go some action when he started moving his army. Hmm... Hermes is his cousin now? O_o
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 11, 2014 1:33 PM

May 2012
Pretty nice development, quite like where this anime is heading in however the change in length of the episode sure makes the pacing totally different.
Feb 10, 2015 6:57 PM

Jan 2013
Arslan seems like he's maturing nicely

Jun 14, 2015 10:22 AM
Mar 2012
Dragonshark said:
funny how Narsus wanted to abolish slavery and went to live in the forest to be a drunk and paint bad art cos the King didn't grant this, now Arislan had the balls to do it he speaks ill of his new liege?
I think the situation is very different and that changes a lot. Arslans father was an established ruler with a powerful army/country. Arslan is a young man, inexperienced, with hardly any alllies at court and a country that has just been invaded. He has hardly any control over his own country and such isn't in the position to abolish slavery.
Narsus know that but I guess he thinks he will do it in time, which is why he keeps supporting him.

The biggest problem of this series is that it's too rushed. :/

Unfortunately I'm having crazy sound problems. :(
Feb 2, 2016 7:32 PM
Dec 2014
Slavery in Europe was only abolished because of Christianity and the implosion of the Roman Empire (slavery requires an advanced civilization).

At the end of the day you need a majority to end slavery. You can't just end it on your own.
Apr 2, 2016 10:20 PM

Jul 2011
Main ship established I suppose.

It's soooo rushed. Like said before, it just shows Point A and Point B but doesn't show the progression between them. ><

And 30 mins episode now, why. ಠ_ಠ
Jan 15, 2021 3:00 AM

Nov 2015
eyerok said:
If Arslan does manage to abolish slavery in his lands, I would say that would be highly unrealistic.

i know right? 300 year b.c is a little earlier to have this idea, maybe it happened locally on some areas without becoming a global thing until much later but it would be very hard for a nation to have survived without the system o:
tofei said:
I was surprised it was only near 30 minutes of an episode instead of the usual almost one hour duration like the first two. It got shorter but now we got more introduced characters which I think is inevitable anyway. At least he finally go some action when he started moving his army. Hmm... Hermes is his cousin now? O_o

unacceptable, they should've kept the hour length damn it, it's doom to be rushed now :(
Feniksrises said:
Slavery in Europe was only abolished because of Christianity and the implosion of the Roman Empire (slavery requires an advanced civilization)

er... are we in europe? i might have missed that detail in the previous ovas where they mention it, i thought it was more like a middle east zone where slavery didn't vanished entirely

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 6 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 29, 2011

19 by PxHC »»
Jun 30, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 5 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 28, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 2 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 16, 2011

10 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 1 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 14, 2011

13 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 18, 2020 1:51 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 4 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 26, 2011

8 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 28, 2016 7:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.