Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Oct 18, 2019 9:31 AM

Oct 2012
It's just sad how "freedom" is actually not caring about the people and brainwashing people to sacrifice themselves for "freedom"
Then silencing them if they act too "freely"
It's sad because world of fiction is just real nowadays

I'm starting to like Yang and it's only 3rd episode xD
He feels like out of place because he doesn't really like being soldier, but at same time he must do it
Rayl1ghtOct 19, 2019 5:52 AM
"Signature removed"
Apr 4, 2020 7:24 AM

Aug 2016
To anybody who skipped the first 2 episodes because of the Overture movie - even though I watched the movie first too, I strongly feel the first two episodes were worth watching as well. There was a lot of content in those two episodes that was changed or absent from the movie, and vice versa.

As for this episode, why would they let a single woman approach the chairman giving a memorial service for 1.5 million dead and casually start a conversation mid-service?
Jun 17, 2020 4:57 AM
Nov 2017
Yang says he would like a cup of ceylon tea implying tea from Sri Lanka (Ceylon is the colonial name of the island.) But this is very unrealistic because Earth should not be relevant to the franchise at all.
Sep 16, 2020 5:04 AM

Jul 2016
xeonite said:
Ah, a fine worldbuilding episode, got to know a lot. While what the woman said is technically true; it does not imply she was morally just, it is just the world they live in, exactly what she said at the end, "people are equally suffering from the same grief," there is just unfortunately no one to blame for what happens.

Yep. Really enjoyed the world building here. Helped show one side of the war.
Feb 1, 2021 1:56 AM

Oct 2016
The space battles are by far the weakest aspect of the show in its first season, episodes like this one, focusing a lot more on the societies and their political systems are what really keep you going.
Feb 2, 2021 4:19 AM

Aug 2018
So this series seems to be democracy vs autocracy, I loved seeing how the democratic nation has almost weaponised patriotism (not just in the patriotic knight cops). It seems the free planets alliance can be fairly nationalistic.
_______I like rocks__
Mar 13, 2021 12:42 PM
May 2020
the alliance reminded me of the CCP for some reason. seems as though there's an autocratic vs democratic ruling with regards to the alliance and the empire
Mar 14, 2021 10:42 AM

Oct 2020

WHAT? I'm so excited! I never ever thought my town's tea would be referenced in any anime in my lifetime!!!! I did a double take when I saw it mentioned, we're such a small region - I'm so confused to see this here, I'm still processing it :O

I don't think it's Ceylon tea, as a comment above states - unless there's a translation error? Shillong is pretty known for its tea too. I'll check up on this anyway D:
curlywurlieMar 14, 2021 10:52 AM

Mar 27, 2021 9:54 AM

Feb 2012
Julian's talk with Yang about wanting to become a soldier is moved to after Astarte in this version.

They sung that anthem in full irony for Trunicht's own ego. The ultranationalist PKC are a violent bunch going up to an officer's home and attacking it. Democracy in decay.

Yang now has to be the hero and propaganda piece for Trunicht in return for Jessica's safety.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 5, 2021 1:56 AM

Jun 2020
hearin dat anthem on july 4th night is quite da vibe
Jul 22, 2021 4:54 AM

Feb 2014
Finally an episode with decent pacing and characters acting like proper characters. The first two episodes were some of the most mind-numblingly boring episodes of anime I have ever seen. First they threw like 3 dozen characters in your face, then made them babble expositions the entire time. And to top it off, we got some laughably bad space battle scenes that were like something out of a turn based strategy game.
Dec 12, 2021 9:35 AM
Nov 2020
Best anime series of all-time. Yang is the best character in the series.
NurularifinDec 12, 2021 9:39 AM
Jan 13, 2022 9:20 AM

Aug 2017
I think the remake handled this episode better.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 31, 2022 5:57 AM

Dec 2007
what a great democracy. after the defence secretary said the people have the freedom to "criticise the government" he's contradicts her.
his whole speech was about freedom of people, reminding this in every single line, but his ego didn't showed that at all lol

i really like yang, he's excellent character, but from some reason i like reinhard's design better lol

the whole jessica "solider dead's fiancee" feels to me too much americanish, but it still worked well as a cause in the plot to show us some stink politics.
Jun 8, 2022 10:01 PM
Jul 2016
Pretty good episode. I find it interesting how much the democratic nation mirrors the United States in the 21st century. We see the widowed fiancée removed from the memorial for expressing her grief of her husband and her dissatisfaction with the Alliance’s involvement in war. She is then targeted by an extremist group that is under the thumb of the chairman of the “democratic” nation.

An anime from the 1980s based on a novel series released around the same time basically predicted the current state of affairs in America regarding the Qanon-type extremists under the thumb of the Republican Party. History repeats itself.

Not sure how I feel about the show just yet. It’s kinda boring if I’m being honest. There is heavy influence from both Star Wars and Star Trek but the classical aesthetic of everything is what is really pulling me in. If it weren’t for the style of the show I would have already lost interest. I hope to see what the acclaim is all about once I finish the series.
Jun 29, 2022 3:00 AM

Dec 2007
grap3soda said:
Pretty good episode. I find it interesting how much the democratic nation mirrors the United States in the 21st century. We see the widowed fiancée removed from the memorial for expressing her grief of her husband and her dissatisfaction with the Alliance’s involvement in war. She is then targeted by an extremist group that is under the thumb of the chairman of the “democratic” nation.

An anime from the 1980s based on a novel series released around the same time basically predicted the current state of affairs in America regarding the Qanon-type extremists under the thumb of the Republican Party. History repeats itself.

Not sure how I feel about the show just yet. It’s kinda boring if I’m being honest. There is heavy influence from both Star Wars and Star Trek but the classical aesthetic of everything is what is really pulling me in. If it weren’t for the style of the show I would have already lost interest. I hope to see what the acclaim is all about once I finish the series.
as i saw you still in episode 3, i recommending you to keep watching 'till episode 26. if until there you feel it's still not your liking, you probably won't like next seasons.

though with that being said, i see you haven't watched lots of anime. and LOGTH is kind of anime you might wanna watch after knowing several types of anime. so you might as well drop it for now, watching 100 anime series, and then return to this. and then you will appreciate more the quality of LOGTH that makes it unique above most of the anime.
Aug 28, 2022 6:26 AM
Feb 2019
Growing to like it, it really seems like a story of a posible future although who is to say what will come. Certainly an execrcise of imagination, really interesting to see what was possible many decades ago through creativity, this being one of such stories among many others.
Aug 31, 2022 1:32 PM
Oct 2019
Very well rounded episode in character moments, politics, action, and suspense. COol parallels to IRL, and the old woman with her grandson at the end was a really good tie-in.
Nov 9, 2022 6:14 AM

May 2018
The freedom to not get involved is the best freedom xD
Nov 10, 2022 9:50 PM
Apr 2019
The show has started getting picking up pace.
Jan 2, 2023 11:54 PM

Aug 2018
Yang feels like a very humble and moraly right character, wonder how someone like him will be able to work in such corrupted ,,democratic freedom'' goverment, overall nice episode
May 20, 2023 7:17 PM
Dec 2021
Overflowing with political commentary on toxic nationalism, political hypocrisy and the lies of government press, top stuff. You could watch this 50 times and still find new bits of commentary, on my first watch I certainly couldn't take it all in. I also like the heart of the show, dealing with the aftermath in a pretty realistic way. The dialogue in the graveyard was particularly good. 
Nov 28, 2023 8:47 PM

Apr 2016
This felt like one of those animated shows from the 90's with how everything went down with some sense of goofiness going on.

Praise Jessica; she got there easily, yet it seems it took the whole day to take her off the building, and then a whole gang of men was needed to take her down, probably the most powerful character, Miss Jessica.
Jan 18, 3:04 PM

Feb 2020
After watching the prequel movie, overture and the first 3 episodes, I def feel like the way to go is prequel > overture > ep3.

While I'm sure they're fine in isolation, the first 2 episodes feel like they speedrun the plot when compared to Overture, and the introduction of Jessica and Jean is handled much better with the longer runtime. Meanwhile the prequel movie is a much smother introduction to the main characters and prevents you from getting overwhelmed with the characters the show throws at you in the start.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

Jan 25, 3:54 PM
Mar 2015
Such a great set of characters and locations to be shown, really can't believe this show was made in the late 80s.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

118 by ELuck42 »»
Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

108 by Safrichh »»
May 18, 8:42 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 26, 2008

80 by ryzxgum »»
May 13, 12:22 AM

Poll: » Which side had the more compelling cast of characters to you?

bucciest - Sep 21, 2023

6 by Figva »»
May 11, 1:45 PM

» How can anyone seriously think Yang is better than Reinhard?

AR550 - Nov 16, 2023

23 by Figva »»
May 11, 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.