Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think mal influences what series succeeds? Does mal impact the anime industry?

New
9 hours ago

Sep 2018
So there was a forum I found interest in. A forum stating if mal is used to decide what anime gets made. Normally I would think no since japanese producers likely avoid english websites in general. I think the real power of mal is the marketing of series with absolutely no marketing elsewhere. Creating forums to discuss series and ways to track seasonals helps establish some series that would never be discussed irl. How big of an impact do you think mal has on a series success? Any series you picked up purely based on using mal?

9 hours ago

Feb 2020
"Do you think mal influences what series succeeds? Does mal impact the anime industry?"

Not very much tbh.
9 hours ago

May 2019
No, mal doesn't any influence whatsoever.
9 hours ago

May 2020
I think if you go outside to your balcony and start shouting something, you have a better shot of influencing an upcoming anime than anything you type on MAL lol.
9 hours ago

Dec 2020
I don't think so. A lot of people use MAL but I don't think it does anything towards marketing animes with a couple of exceptions (maybe something like Frieren had a little bit of help because of its rating on MAL but even that is a little far fetched imo).
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
9 hours ago

Aug 2013
No not at all & it is best to keep it that way. To many woketards like to stir things up here.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

Lol Sony needs to stop sniffing their own farts, their IQ is crashing so hard they are gonna ruin the whole company.
9 hours ago
May 2021
From YT vids I saw apparently some studios check the stats of their anime in MAL.
That don't do everything,but they at least consider them.
9 hours ago

Sep 2016
MAL sure has a bit of influence and impact on the industry, but it's probably not noteworthy.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
8 hours ago

Aug 2024
Nah, I don't think MAL have any impact on the anime industry but you never know.
TheBlueSpartan8 hours ago
8 hours ago

Sep 2007
Reply to tchitchouan
tchitchouan said:

Agreed as it's money and probably streaming is what influences things/stuff in the anime industry TBH.
7 hours ago

Jul 2010
MAL is no more active as it used to be, and site must be way more world-wide known to have any impact.
7 hours ago

Jan 2009
crunchyroll has 120 million users right now
myanimelist has 16 million users right now

so nope crunchyroll has more influence than myanimelist
7 hours ago

Sep 2018
Reply to deg

@deg
The industry must be far bigger than I thought with those numbers.
7 hours ago

Apr 2016
Not at all. Maybe in the past it did have an impact but not anymore. The only impact MAL has on the community is fanwars.

6 hours ago

Feb 2017
No, not in the least. Most people will just judge the anime for what it is.
6 hours ago

Jun 2019
Maybe slightly within the Western community, but even then, the vast majority of those who are interested in anime casually far outweigh MAL's user base. Globally and from an industry standpoint, I think MAL's impact is very minimal, if not non-existent
6 hours ago
Jul 2024
Nope. No more than the now defunct CR comments meant anything to Japanese Audiences. Don't get so self-important.
6 hours ago
Jul 2024
Reply to deg

@deg And when I was able to comment on CR, MAL reviews were downplayed or outright rejected/ignored. LOL
6 hours ago

Apr 2022
We know that at the very least Toho was paying attention to the MAL performance for Frieren and Apothecary Diaries, because they cited MAL rankings and stats for both in an internal presentation for investors.

6 hours ago

Sep 2019
Maybe? I mean even if does it's barely noticeable imo.
6 hours ago

Sep 2018
Reply to FrierenSimpKing
We know that at the very least Toho was paying attention to the MAL performance for Frieren and Apothecary Diaries, because they cited MAL rankings and stats for both in an internal presentation for investors.

@FrierenSimpKing
That reminds me of how metacritic scores can often mean bonuses in the gaming industry.
3 hours ago

Jun 2024
I don’t think so. There’s no way, lol.
2 hours ago

Oct 2020
I wish an anime studio would look at my profile and make sequels based on my favorite anime lol. Eromanga Sensei deserves to be reupped for another 1000 episodes.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to FrierenSimpKing

@FrierenSimpKing That's super interesting, thanks for sharing.

I can't help but think that MAL ranking is a terrible way to gauge "international success," but maybe it's the best metric they could come up with.
2 hours ago

Jul 2022
Many people use MAL, but the majority are from the West. A large Japanese industry wouldn't care.
1 hour ago

Nov 2013
No. Simply because it's more complicated than that.

But MAL is owned by a Japanese company and is cooperating with various Japanese companies. To which extent they use data MAL provides, I don't know.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

More topics from this board

» Are you a completionist and if you were (but not anymore), what made you stop?

MoKris - Jul 7

24 by Passerby001 »»
1 minute ago

» Why do so many people hate a show because of one character? ( 1 2 )

ZeroMajor12 - May 20

54 by Akumahime66 »»
1 minute ago

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

77 by Kruszer »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » New Themes ( 1 2 )

Zarutaku - Oct 2

62 by ProGoddess »»
10 minutes ago

» why is it widely accepted that slanting a chinese character's eyes is racist but anime does it all the time?

karo86 - 1 hour ago

3 by MedK001 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.