Forum Settings
Forums

Sustainable cities: the future or a naive dream?

New
May 18, 8:31 AM

Jul 2022
Do you think sustainable cities are the way of the future? Can you imagine living in them? Or is it just a bit of a naive dream of "new age hippies"?

For more info (under the spoiler, you will find a simplified explanation of what a sustainable city is supposed to look like)

• Smart Cities and Resilient Environments: Research related to smart city technologies and enhancing urban resilience.

• Alternative/Clean Energy Sources: Exploration of energy distribution, generation, and demand reduction.

• Air Quality Monitoring: Improving air quality in built environments and cities.

• Energy-Efficient Buildings: Topics related to low/zero carbon and green buildings.

• Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation: Strategies for urban environments.

• Green Infrastructure and BMPs: Sustainable urban infrastructure.

• Urban Agriculture and Forestry: Promoting green spaces.

• ICT, Smart Grid, and Intelligent Infrastructure: Innovations in urban technology.

• Urban Design/Planning and Policy: Regulations, economics, and policy for sustainable cities.

• Social Aspects and Resiliency of Cities: Understanding the impact of urban life.

• Health Monitoring and Improvement: Enhancing well-being in cities.

• Big Data and AI Applications: Leveraging technology for urban management.

• Water Footprint Reduction and Urban Water Management: Efficient water use.

• Waste Reduction and Recycling: Strategies for sustainable waste management.

• Clean Transportation Systems: Innovations in urban mobility.

Do you think those cities are just for rich, bored people who are trying too hard?

Oslo is a good example of a sustainable city. It has about 72% of green space.

thank you for the participation!
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

May 18, 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
It is an epic fail because there is nothing remotely sustainable about industrial civilization.
May 18, 9:33 AM

Sep 2016
Sustainability is always going to win in the long run, because anything that isn't sustainable will inevitably cease to exist after some time.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 18, 10:02 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
Sustainability is always going to win in the long run, because anything that isn't sustainable will inevitably cease to exist after some time.
@Zarutaku and civilization is unsustainable by its very nature...dont worry, we get NTHE very soon...
May 18, 10:26 AM

Feb 2024
The image posted by OP looks like a Bygdøy to me. In a summer, on the best day. Oslo city doesn't look like that, and it never did.

I live in a pretty "sustainable" big city, and it simply costs a lot as there is no such thing as a free lunch. Its prosperity relies heavily on cheap labor, which is disgusting if you think about it.
LoveYourSmileMay 18, 10:32 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 18, 10:41 AM

Oct 2009
@ DesuMaiden: Cities existed before the Industrial revolution, so it is not impossible for them to exist outside of modern technologies. If the location is favourable i.e. a human settlement is close to a river and sea plus has a lot of fertile land or other valuable resource then that area will be a good candidate to becoming a city.

As for the modern incarnation of a sustainable “green city”; at least the one most commonly depicted one that idea is a myth. I would like to know how sustainable all this smart technology/big data really is. All these high-tech solutions involve energy intensive production which is powered by fossil fuels. Moreover, the mining operations to procure the rare metals and other valuable materials is immense. Again, this mining is an energy intensive process that involves a lot of heavy machinery which is powered by fossil fuels. Here I am only looking at the production side of things. But if you consider running costs such as the electric consumption of big data/AI those things are immense and is the dirty secret of big tech. They want you to know about AI technology and its advantages but they don't talk about its massive (and growing) carbon footprint.

In short, before you consider something sustainable you need to think how the raw materials are obtained, shipped, produced/transformed into the final goods. Also, if the scale of production is large then the probability of it being energy intensive is greater.

Beyond that you need to also consider the operating costs on an energetic/resource level. As a general rule, as the level of complexity in an item increases the energetic costs to maintain it also increase on a per kg basis. These types of things are governed by the law of thermodynamics so we can't bypass them.

Best mitigating action is to reduce and reuse items but reducing consumption is not conductive to modern capitalist economies. This action I suggested would amount to a planned recession. Who is going to champion that cause?
May 18, 11:47 AM

May 2013
Isn't that why all those homes burnt down in Maui?

To build one of these elite vanity projects?

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 18, 6:05 PM
Aug 2018
Sounds like a distant dream. It's definitely not gonna be happening in the near future. So many barriers to overcome. What about the infrastructural challenges? Also, is it economically feasible? Plus, there's no way there's not gonna be political problems. And population growth and urbanisation in general ain't gonna allow it to happen anytime soon...

It's a long term goal kind of thing.
May 18, 7:08 PM

Jul 2013
OP is either delusional or stupid. NTHE is guranateed to happen.
May 18, 11:44 PM

Jul 2022
Reply to LoveYourSmile
The image posted by OP looks like a Bygdøy to me. In a summer, on the best day. Oslo city doesn't look like that, and it never did.

I live in a pretty "sustainable" big city, and it simply costs a lot as there is no such thing as a free lunch. Its prosperity relies heavily on cheap labor, which is disgusting if you think about it.
@LoveYourSmile thank you for the correction. I have never been to Oslo but well, if it has about 72% of green space and it is amongst the greenest cities in Europe according to polls, I guess they are hiding all that somewhere. not doubting your comment. I think the city looks gorgeous in the pics but I have never been, so I really do wonder why they get so much praise?

sources:

but I absolutely agree with you and I think it is one of the reasons why people are so skeptical. it seems like this dream of sustainability is unavailable for the middle and working class citizens. which makes me question the term of "sustainability"
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

May 18, 11:47 PM

Jul 2022
Reply to Tamasul
Sounds like a distant dream. It's definitely not gonna be happening in the near future. So many barriers to overcome. What about the infrastructural challenges? Also, is it economically feasible? Plus, there's no way there's not gonna be political problems. And population growth and urbanisation in general ain't gonna allow it to happen anytime soon...

It's a long term goal kind of thing.
@Rhae tbh, I think the population growth is a question depending on each country. the economy though, I agree. in the long run, it can save you a lot of money if you actually do use green energy, but the problem is who is gong to pay for the change. however, if we are not gonna do something, nothing will ever change.

the question is how can we actually make is sustainable for all. not just a couple of the rich enthusiasts.

May 18, 11:52 PM

Jul 2022
Reply to monsta666
@ DesuMaiden: Cities existed before the Industrial revolution, so it is not impossible for them to exist outside of modern technologies. If the location is favourable i.e. a human settlement is close to a river and sea plus has a lot of fertile land or other valuable resource then that area will be a good candidate to becoming a city.

As for the modern incarnation of a sustainable “green city”; at least the one most commonly depicted one that idea is a myth. I would like to know how sustainable all this smart technology/big data really is. All these high-tech solutions involve energy intensive production which is powered by fossil fuels. Moreover, the mining operations to procure the rare metals and other valuable materials is immense. Again, this mining is an energy intensive process that involves a lot of heavy machinery which is powered by fossil fuels. Here I am only looking at the production side of things. But if you consider running costs such as the electric consumption of big data/AI those things are immense and is the dirty secret of big tech. They want you to know about AI technology and its advantages but they don't talk about its massive (and growing) carbon footprint.

In short, before you consider something sustainable you need to think how the raw materials are obtained, shipped, produced/transformed into the final goods. Also, if the scale of production is large then the probability of it being energy intensive is greater.

Beyond that you need to also consider the operating costs on an energetic/resource level. As a general rule, as the level of complexity in an item increases the energetic costs to maintain it also increase on a per kg basis. These types of things are governed by the law of thermodynamics so we can't bypass them.

Best mitigating action is to reduce and reuse items but reducing consumption is not conductive to modern capitalist economies. This action I suggested would amount to a planned recession. Who is going to champion that cause?
monsta666 said:

isn´t that a question of long term and short term? some smaller evil for the greater good? we might need to build suburbs (if not whole cities) anyway so wouldn´t it be better to build them in a more sensitive manner?

monsta666 said:

here I actually fully support your idea.

sorry for so many quotes.

May 19, 1:45 AM

Mar 2008
My views are more ambitious but practical still

• Return to ancient technology for inspiration such as zero energy cooling methods.

• Do away with or reduce use of harmful materials in manufacturing replacing with more biocompatible

• Use bioengineering to our advantage in creating new materials and food sources

• Use ancient farming techniques updated with new knowledge

• Decentralize the power grid for rooftop wind and solar making switching to DC power more viable to avoid energy loss during conversion from DC > AC > DC.

• Go down not up. Build sunken structures instead of just skyscrapers to allow for natural habitats to remain undisturbed and not worry as much about winds causing building collapse

• Use bioluminescence to light the night

• Do away with use of concrete streets which creates flooding use a porous concrete or even better a type of aircrete or hempcrete just all sorts of new materials are available

• Return to products being built with quality and to last and be repairable like in the old days

• Manage resources through AI to predict where it may be needed and when

• Distribute resources directly and focus on materials that can be gathered or produced in abundance for there to be no scarcity
May 19, 2:04 AM

Oct 2013
Right now, I think they are just cool concepts to see on paper to think about how the world might look like in the far future. Thinking they can be created and become somewhat standard in our modern age, or in the nearest future, is nothing more than just believing in utopia, in a naive dream.

Maybe some climate activists, I'm thinking here about those of them who are focused more on ideology than realism, think of such concepts as of something simple and totally attainable in our times "if everyone tries hard enough", but nah. Right now they are just ambitious projects belonging to the sphere of futurology.

Though not gonna lie, it'd be fun to see at least one of those cities built, inhabited and made fully functional as an example of a sustainable city. Big city with many people living in it. Not a settlement dedicated to a relatively small group of people. If such settlements were to be called as "sustainable cities", then holy moly, we would have a lot of them. In Europe, at least. European villages are pretty sustainable. ;p
May 19, 2:33 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to effy
@LoveYourSmile thank you for the correction. I have never been to Oslo but well, if it has about 72% of green space and it is amongst the greenest cities in Europe according to polls, I guess they are hiding all that somewhere. not doubting your comment. I think the city looks gorgeous in the pics but I have never been, so I really do wonder why they get so much praise?

sources:

but I absolutely agree with you and I think it is one of the reasons why people are so skeptical. it seems like this dream of sustainability is unavailable for the middle and working class citizens. which makes me question the term of "sustainability"
@effy_
I don't really know how they make these ratings, I checked your links and I see there cities that I would never call "sustainable" from my personal experience (say, Paris or Barcelona), and I don't see my personal #1 sustainable city of the world in that list.

And no, I'm not skeptical about sustainability as I see it in action every day here - it works and it's equally available for everyone. But it requires a lot of investment and highly relies on location, climate, local taxation and cheap labor to for the maintenance.
May 19, 2:35 AM

May 2013
Well, simply put, that would be great. But we have to sustain more than intelligently designed cities and living spaces. We have to sustain the teeming masses that already exist in crowded metropolises.

So the solution isn't always going to be a technological advancement. A lot of it is still people learning to live with one another and cooperate.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 19, 2:38 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to xMizu_
Well, simply put, that would be great. But we have to sustain more than intelligently designed cities and living spaces. We have to sustain the teeming masses that already exist in crowded metropolises.

So the solution isn't always going to be a technological advancement. A lot of it is still people learning to live with one another and cooperate.
@xMizu_
I think the environment contributes to how people socialize and interact though.
May 19, 2:39 AM

May 2013
Reply to traed
@xMizu_
I think the environment contributes to how people socialize and interact though.
@traed True, once the water runs out I'm gonna have to kill you to make sure I have enough for myself.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 19, 4:23 AM

Feb 2018
Well i don't think it's a pipedream of hippies. Thanks to advancement in tech, AI it's achievable. The more tech advances, the faster and easier it gets for cities to play catch up with sustainable cities. As long as their is no corruption in the city management bodies. Most cities in the world are trying to achieve being as sustainable as possible. Some of the cities high in HDI have already achieved. Like Oslo ^^ or Hong Kong, Singapore and plenty of Japanese cities.
May 19, 4:26 AM
Oct 2017
It's possible to do, but realistically you could never expand the city without outside resources and so a "sustainable city" is pretty doomed to failure. It's pretty much why the whole arcology trend never really took off (expandability)
May 19, 5:10 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@effy_
I don't really know how they make these ratings, I checked your links and I see there cities that I would never call "sustainable" from my personal experience (say, Paris or Barcelona), and I don't see my personal #1 sustainable city of the world in that list.

And no, I'm not skeptical about sustainability as I see it in action every day here - it works and it's equally available for everyone. But it requires a lot of investment and highly relies on location, climate, local taxation and cheap labor to for the maintenance.
LoveYourSmile said:

I am not gonna lie, my research is pretty amateurish, quick and easy but I suppose (my wild guess) they just count the carbon footprint? (so for Paris, those would be: usage of solar panels, more bikes / less cars, renovating homes so they need to be less heated and helping people with financing those changes etc.

Adnash said:
Right now, I think they are just cool concepts to see on paper to think about how the world might look like in the far future. Thinking they can be created and become somewhat standard in our modern age, or in the nearest future, is nothing more than just believing in utopia, in a naive dream.

but sustainable cities are already in existence. one of them being Oslo, Vienna, Helsinki, Bern etc. I know that it sounds like a proper utopia but there is a way and some people see it.

May 19, 5:13 AM

Jul 2022
Reply to DelusionalWeeb
It's possible to do, but realistically you could never expand the city without outside resources and so a "sustainable city" is pretty doomed to failure. It's pretty much why the whole arcology trend never really took off (expandability)
@DelusionalWeeb usually the changes are made within the city like maybe forbidding certain areas from being entered by car, renewed housing as to decrease the heating, supporting train transport over buses etc.

May 19, 5:39 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to effy
LoveYourSmile said:

I am not gonna lie, my research is pretty amateurish, quick and easy but I suppose (my wild guess) they just count the carbon footprint? (so for Paris, those would be: usage of solar panels, more bikes / less cars, renovating homes so they need to be less heated and helping people with financing those changes etc.

Adnash said:

but sustainable cities are already in existence. one of them being Oslo, Vienna, Helsinki, Bern etc. I know that it sounds like a proper utopia but there is a way and some people see it.

@effy_ Lol no, you will literally burn on a sunny day before you find a patch of grass there. I wouldn't drink tap water there either. I know what I'm talking about because I fly there monthly if not weekly as we have some ongoing construction projects there. You really shouldn't look for "sustainability" examples among old capitals, they have lots of "historical" areas that can't be improved without a royal pain.

It looks like you focus too much on carbon emissions and so formal criterias. But if you compare, say, Munich, Nuremberg or Stuttgart to those so-called sustainable cities like Oslo or Vienna, you will find them way more attractive for living from eco standpoint, because all that carbon is being consumed by green areas easily. You can literally walk through the whole city from the south to the north and never leave a park full of squirrels and rabbits, even deers; you can drink tap water in a restroom (if you want), you come home after 2hr walk and your shoe sole is crystal white because there is no annoying dust outside - that's what I call "sustainability".
LoveYourSmileMay 19, 3:04 PM
May 19, 7:36 AM

Jan 2009
There's no such a thing as a "sustainable city". At most, maybe some smaller villages manage some form of self-sufficiency, but even that is questionable when you have to get the materials for the solar panels or the wind turbines through unsustainable means. So any modern settlement already falls flat in that regard
May 19, 8:32 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to DesuMaiden
OP is either delusional or stupid. NTHE is guranateed to happen.
@DesuMaiden What the hell are you talking about, seriously...
May 19, 1:26 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
If people want to try something, go ahead and try it I suppose.
May 19, 3:47 PM

Nov 2019
As an aspiring architect and structural engineer as well as a council representative this idea will fail as long as we have growing populations. Especially in lower socioeconomic areas like Detroit or Philadelphia, it will become to maintain this style of infrastructure because the cost of maintenance and cost of adaptation is too high for its return.
May 19, 7:22 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Noboru
There's no such a thing as a "sustainable city". At most, maybe some smaller villages manage some form of self-sufficiency, but even that is questionable when you have to get the materials for the solar panels or the wind turbines through unsustainable means. So any modern settlement already falls flat in that regard
@Noboru
Gallium nitride could replace silicon. This would potentially involve lower energy to produce. This is because very high temperatures are needed to process silicon. Though sure gallium is a limited resource in itself too but might be an improvement in some regards.
https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/rd/pdfs/gallium_nitride_substrates_factsheet.pdf

Engineers are also working on using WBG materials to better take advantage of renewable energy sources. Solar cells and wind turbines rely on inverters to feed electricity into a home or into the grid, and many companies expect gallium nitride to do that job better than silicon. Enphase, a supplier of inverters for solar-powered installments, is currently testing gallium-nitride-based inverters to make sure they can hold up to harsh rooftop weather conditions for decades. In one test, Enphase submerges inverters underwater inside a pressure cooker, puts the pressure cooker inside a sealed chamber and oscillates the temperature between 185 degrees and minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of 21 days. If gallium-nitride devices survive the challenges, Enphase’s co-founder Raghu Belur plans to make a fast shift to the new material. “It’s absolutely headed in that direction,” he said.

In an investors’ meeting last year, a senior Enphase engineer gave a more conclusive prediction, saying, “It’s the end of the road for silicon.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/16/science/electronics-silicon-gallium.html

Plant based adhesives coming around
About three years ago, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) researchers Robynne Murray, Nicholas Rorrer, and their team set out on a mission to make an easily recycled resin to serve as the central glue holding a wind turbine blade together.

They began by formulating their resin in thimble-sized vials at the lab bench. And after several rounds of experimenting, fine tuning, and slowly scaling up, the team successfully used their new resin to construct a 9-meter prototype wind turbine blade (the size of a volleyball net)—marking a major milestone toward the material’s readiness for mainstream manufacturing.

Nicknamed PECAN, the new resin boasts a novel composition, but it is neither flavored nor made with its nutty namesake. Instead, the name is an acronym representing the material’s chemical structure (PolyEster Covalently Adaptable Network). The researchers designed the PECAN resin using biobased chemicals that can be easily extracted from plant waste.

https://www.nrel.gov/news/program/2023/a-recyclable-plant-based-material.html

Analogue computing is also coming back stronger. It can solve complex problems with low energy use
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240314145325.htm

There is new tech and materials showing up all the time.
May 20, 7:27 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@Noboru
Gallium nitride could replace silicon. This would potentially involve lower energy to produce. This is because very high temperatures are needed to process silicon. Though sure gallium is a limited resource in itself too but might be an improvement in some regards.
https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/rd/pdfs/gallium_nitride_substrates_factsheet.pdf

Engineers are also working on using WBG materials to better take advantage of renewable energy sources. Solar cells and wind turbines rely on inverters to feed electricity into a home or into the grid, and many companies expect gallium nitride to do that job better than silicon. Enphase, a supplier of inverters for solar-powered installments, is currently testing gallium-nitride-based inverters to make sure they can hold up to harsh rooftop weather conditions for decades. In one test, Enphase submerges inverters underwater inside a pressure cooker, puts the pressure cooker inside a sealed chamber and oscillates the temperature between 185 degrees and minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit over the course of 21 days. If gallium-nitride devices survive the challenges, Enphase’s co-founder Raghu Belur plans to make a fast shift to the new material. “It’s absolutely headed in that direction,” he said.

In an investors’ meeting last year, a senior Enphase engineer gave a more conclusive prediction, saying, “It’s the end of the road for silicon.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/16/science/electronics-silicon-gallium.html

Plant based adhesives coming around
About three years ago, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) researchers Robynne Murray, Nicholas Rorrer, and their team set out on a mission to make an easily recycled resin to serve as the central glue holding a wind turbine blade together.

They began by formulating their resin in thimble-sized vials at the lab bench. And after several rounds of experimenting, fine tuning, and slowly scaling up, the team successfully used their new resin to construct a 9-meter prototype wind turbine blade (the size of a volleyball net)—marking a major milestone toward the material’s readiness for mainstream manufacturing.

Nicknamed PECAN, the new resin boasts a novel composition, but it is neither flavored nor made with its nutty namesake. Instead, the name is an acronym representing the material’s chemical structure (PolyEster Covalently Adaptable Network). The researchers designed the PECAN resin using biobased chemicals that can be easily extracted from plant waste.

https://www.nrel.gov/news/program/2023/a-recyclable-plant-based-material.html

Analogue computing is also coming back stronger. It can solve complex problems with low energy use
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240314145325.htm

There is new tech and materials showing up all the time.
traed said:
It would be still a bridge material only until something actual sustainable would be found. Wake me up when we get to harness energy without gas, coal, oil or radio activity and without any rare materials in a larger scale
May 20, 12:07 PM

Jul 2013
Industrial civilization cannot be sustained. And NTHE will happen soon enough. I can guranatee it. If you dont believe me, too bad for you because you are just deluding yourself.
May 20, 1:43 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Noboru
traed said:
It would be still a bridge material only until something actual sustainable would be found. Wake me up when we get to harness energy without gas, coal, oil or radio activity and without any rare materials in a larger scale
@Noboru
Well I think there should be a reduction in use of computer technology for some purposes. Sometimes it just really isn't needed. Also end of mass production of planned obsolescence. If the same stuff can be passed down generation to generation then something being rare isn't inherently an issue.

There also is optical computing which also doesnt use silicon.
https://www.techradar.com/pro/a-single-optical-fiber-scientists-build-a-silicon-less-computer-that-use-light-waves-and-surpasses-existing-systems-for-classification-could-this-be-the-ultimate-ai-cpu
May 20, 6:40 PM
Jul 2021
Not naive dream, but a tyrannical nightmare that needs to be stopped right here, right now before it's too late.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 21, 10:00 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@Noboru
Well I think there should be a reduction in use of computer technology for some purposes. Sometimes it just really isn't needed. Also end of mass production of planned obsolescence. If the same stuff can be passed down generation to generation then something being rare isn't inherently an issue.

There also is optical computing which also doesnt use silicon.
https://www.techradar.com/pro/a-single-optical-fiber-scientists-build-a-silicon-less-computer-that-use-light-waves-and-surpasses-existing-systems-for-classification-could-this-be-the-ultimate-ai-cpu
@traed Nothing will change as long as it's cheaper to get a completely new device than to repair things. Also remember that there are not only home devices, but also business clients. I have already swapped my work laptop twice while my private one is still in use from a much longer time. First work one only had 4GB RAM, but upgrading was not possible due to leasing contract restrictions. It failed me anyway, so I had to swap it. Though the backup devices at the time all had 4GB. I've swapped that one again some time 2 years ago because it was nearing EOL anyway and now I have to change my current laptop next year as well

That looks impressive
May 21, 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Noboru
@traed Nothing will change as long as it's cheaper to get a completely new device than to repair things. Also remember that there are not only home devices, but also business clients. I have already swapped my work laptop twice while my private one is still in use from a much longer time. First work one only had 4GB RAM, but upgrading was not possible due to leasing contract restrictions. It failed me anyway, so I had to swap it. Though the backup devices at the time all had 4GB. I've swapped that one again some time 2 years ago because it was nearing EOL anyway and now I have to change my current laptop next year as well

That looks impressive
@Noboru
But it isnt cheaper in actuality. In the past electronics were repaired all the time sometimes by pros sometimes by people doing it themselves. I heard in the USSR many electronics came with a schematic. Im not talking about things on the consumer but the manufacturers. They design things now to be unrepairable or very difficult to repair
May 21, 12:25 PM

Jul 2013
Sustainable cities do not exist. Civilization is, by its definition, unsustainable. NTHE will prove my point soon enough. If you have faith in human civilization, you are seriously delusional. Look at how badly humans are fucking up this planet. And you will realize that humans deserve extinction ASAP.
May 21, 12:55 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@Noboru
But it isnt cheaper in actuality. In the past electronics were repaired all the time sometimes by pros sometimes by people doing it themselves. I heard in the USSR many electronics came with a schematic. Im not talking about things on the consumer but the manufacturers. They design things now to be unrepairable or very difficult to repair
@traed It is when you also consider the paid time of a worker trying to figure out what's wrong and repairing things. In particular, it is cheaper because the actual work of creating the parts for an electronic device and assembling it is done in a country with far lower wages. No one really wants to waste time at work as long as you can get a cheap replacement more easily thanks to the exploitation of our global economy

But I get your sentiment and I prefer at least for home use hardware to be longer-lasting and easily maintenance-friendly. One of the reasons why I don't like switching my laptop anytime soon is that with a new model, I'll probably won't even find any with a detachable battery

May 21, 2:14 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Noboru
@traed It is when you also consider the paid time of a worker trying to figure out what's wrong and repairing things. In particular, it is cheaper because the actual work of creating the parts for an electronic device and assembling it is done in a country with far lower wages. No one really wants to waste time at work as long as you can get a cheap replacement more easily thanks to the exploitation of our global economy

But I get your sentiment and I prefer at least for home use hardware to be longer-lasting and easily maintenance-friendly. One of the reasons why I don't like switching my laptop anytime soon is that with a new model, I'll probably won't even find any with a detachable battery

@Noboru
Wages go up everywhere in time though so that wont be forever unless they rely on illegal slave labour. It doesnt really take long to find the problem and repair it if you have the right equipment and knowledge. I've done electronics before and it's not that hard to just repair a circuit. Takes a few minutes which uses less time than going to a store or buying online if parts are on hand. So it's a lost life skill currently.

There are some models of laptops able to be repaired like Framework, MNT Reform, HP EliteBook, and a lot of people use old ThinkPads. Dell also was talking about something like this they called Luna but it seems it never released. Problem is if a part isnt available, so ideal would be non proprietary parts.
May 21, 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
Cities were never sustainable to begin with. Especially since civilizations all require governments. And governments can never be trusted.
May 22, 7:03 AM
Jun 2021
It's not only an incredibly naive dream but a genuine danger to mobility and independence.
Like, one of the major "pros" (in quotations for a reason) of these supposed smart cities are that they know what you need. If that isn't outright Big Brother style surveillance then I don't know what to tell you.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 22, 2:35 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to traed
@Noboru
Wages go up everywhere in time though so that wont be forever unless they rely on illegal slave labour. It doesnt really take long to find the problem and repair it if you have the right equipment and knowledge. I've done electronics before and it's not that hard to just repair a circuit. Takes a few minutes which uses less time than going to a store or buying online if parts are on hand. So it's a lost life skill currently.

There are some models of laptops able to be repaired like Framework, MNT Reform, HP EliteBook, and a lot of people use old ThinkPads. Dell also was talking about something like this they called Luna but it seems it never released. Problem is if a part isnt available, so ideal would be non proprietary parts.
@traed That depends on the person. I'm unfortunately not that skilled with my hands even when it comes to more simple soldering
It still takes time though until the wages and working conditions would have a much better standard in the poorer regions of the world
I would be rather worried of running out of the rare materials in a few decades

Yeah, I've heard good things about the old ThinkPads.
That reminds me on a story where Nintendo gifted a very old lady a brand new Gameboy they had lying somewhere because even they didn't have the spare parts any longer to repair hers
May 22, 2:42 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to Noboru
@traed That depends on the person. I'm unfortunately not that skilled with my hands even when it comes to more simple soldering
It still takes time though until the wages and working conditions would have a much better standard in the poorer regions of the world
I would be rather worried of running out of the rare materials in a few decades

Yeah, I've heard good things about the old ThinkPads.
That reminds me on a story where Nintendo gifted a very old lady a brand new Gameboy they had lying somewhere because even they didn't have the spare parts any longer to repair hers
@Noboru
Depends on circuit type. The surface mount ones are extremely difficult because the parts move as the solder melts and takes a certain skillset but just resoldering a loose wire or replacing an electrolytic capacitor Or burnt out resistor or LED many could do fine with a little instruction as long as they arent disabled. The only part to worry about is capacitor discharging being done properly, id probably not expect an average person to handle powerful capacitors in large equipment that could kill them.

A lot of people custom rebuild Gameboys. It is a whole hobby. They replace the screens with IPS panels and stuff like that. A lot of people just dont know you can use different parts other than ones from original manufacturer.
traedMay 22, 2:46 PM
May 23, 1:21 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
There is no such thing. The very notion that a central planner can arbitrarily decide what is best for the land that they do not own is utterly foolish. Even more foolish when you consider the type of force needed to implement such a project with such unreachable goals as "zero emissions". As if such a thing would be desirable, in the first place. No, it's all just a bunch of people with grandiose visions for how people should live being disgruntled when they realize that people can choose ways to live that are different than they want them too. Nothing more than that.

Pollution is still a real issue. But nobody is going to take care of the land better than the ones who own it and have a financial stake in it's preservation. The best solution would be tearing the responsibility of organizing cities away from the grimy hands of central planners, and allowing everyone to live freely how they choose.
DreamWindowMay 23, 1:24 AM

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
May 23, 7:15 AM

Oct 2022
It's all a bunch of word salad spewed out by speculators hoping to get investor money.
At most the speculators use some of the money to pay for some lame Minecraft graphic be done (by a design studio desperate for work) to show a generic "Sustain-babble Shitty" non-idea, so that Content Mills on Youtube and TikTok pick it up, which might hopefully rope in more investor ca$h before they declare bankrupt.

They'll return for the next pop culture obsession with another computer graphic in a few years...
May 26, 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
its the future if they do not want to worsen an already bad climate change going on
May 27, 5:19 PM

Aug 2022
During the Battle of Berlin the city was 100% sustainable because they grew yeast for people to eat.

Growing yeast for human use is the future.
May 29, 1:59 PM

Jan 2022
idk man i just hope something happens. anything!!!!

More topics from this board

» What anime or anime episodes give you a nostalgic summer feeling?

heyaheya - Jun 6

14 by Mayahuel »»
3 minutes ago

» My concerns about the future of Japan.

9765 - Jun 6

32 by Soverign »»
2 hours ago

» why spelling of english language is so hard? its the only language that has spelling competition?

deg - Jun 7

29 by ryan77999 »»
3 hours ago

» do you still live with your parents?

FruitPunchBaka - May 29

48 by Ezeeql »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » NEET vs Wage Slave (poll)

xZakai - Jun 17, 2021

44 by creepylurker »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.