Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 8:27 AM

Nov 2011
Lol, a pretty sister. The reactions were priceless.

Good to see the guys getting together for a study session. Feels like it was important for them to spend time together besides just baseball. Looking forward to more games in upcoming episodes.
May 14, 8:45 AM

Dec 2021
What is baseball? To help the troubled Kei, a study session is held at the Aoi household.

While being impressed by Aoi's sister and adorable younger sister, Kei is determined to learn baseball with pure intentions. On the other hand, Aoi confesses to having a certain problem of his own.

May 14, 9:20 AM
Jul 2023
Todo backstory show how impactful the monsters battery duo has in their opponent life.

Todo is pretty adept in street fighting, the element of his backstory where it origin not explored in this episode.
May 14, 9:42 AM

Mar 2021
Really interesting learning more about Todo and his backstory his little sister is adorable.
May 14, 9:48 AM

Oct 2009
Well... ouch. This one hit differently.
May 14, 9:51 AM
Sep 2015
This anime finally bares its fangs. And with MAPPA, it's guarantee that the fight scene will be good, even if it's in baseball anime.
May 14, 10:00 AM

Jun 2019
Man... what an episode it was. It was completely focused on Todo's story this time around how much he struggled and how much he was blaming himself. It is always sad to see when a team loses and the players don't show it but deep down in their heart, they're emotionally destroyed and sad. It was very sad to see, his seniors were nice guys but I understand where he was coming from. But, it was still a tough watch especially if you've been in a similar situation before. Got a little bit emotional.

He wanted to quit this game once and for all after what happened but I guess his love for the game and seeing the incredible duo back made him think this one through again. It was an amazing episode. Brilliantly directed. Top-tier stuff. I'm loving this show with each episode more and more. Can't wait for more.
May 14, 10:32 AM

Jul 2014
Damn, Aoi deserves better man
May 14, 12:07 PM

Nov 2016
All of sudden, it got darker than I expected! But this show keeps getting more and more interesting with every new episode!
May 14, 12:11 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Ali has a pretty sinister backstory about how the monster battery really changed his life and he hasn’t been able to get over the yips since then even going as far as quitting baseball and going to a public school where a team wasn’t even formed. Only to find out the monster battery was there and one of them had lost his memory. (On another note I hope we get some back story on how Kaname lost his memory and if there’s anything he can do to get it back.) Saying they’ll need a new shortstop if they really want revenge. Really good episode this week
May 14, 12:23 PM

Jan 2020
Beautiful episode
May 14, 12:44 PM

Sep 2018
It's a Todo centered episode!! What have I done to deserve such a treat? (ʃƪ T♡⁠T)✧*.

I knew I wasn't wrong about him being a caring person. Under that haughty, seemingly self-centered demeanor truly lies a heart of pure 24 carat gold sounds a lot like a certain someone sharing the same seiyuu, I may have a type!!! Just when I thought I couldn't love him any more than I already do after witnessing that heartwarming display of healthy, wholesome family dynamics (the fondness in both Todo's voice and expression when he greeted his little sister completely melted my heart), they hit us with one of the most raw flashback sequences I've ever seen.

After a grave mistake in a crucial match, Todo left himself to bear the burden crushing his seniors' dreams. He refused to forgive himself, because he cherished them. Furthermore, using physical pain as an alternative to escape from mental suffering is the principle of self-harm, and finding out Todo essentially kept letting himself get into fights on purpose to forget about his trauma on the field was genuinely heartbreaking. Still, he was careful to avoid any serious injuries that would keep him from playing because in the end, he couldn't shake off his passion for baseball. Having learned all this about his past, revisiting the first meeting scene from the perspective of his inner voice was a perfect way to end the episode: the weight of his words hit harder than Kiyomine's pitches. Honestly, the whole episode was cinema by itself – especially with MAPPA doing a pristine job on the animation as always.

PS. This scene encapsulates the character dynamics of our main cast perfectly and that's why I love them, haha.

May 14, 1:36 PM

Apr 2023
Loved the difference Todo showed in greeting his older and younger sister lmao

Todo's backstory was quite heartbreaking but beautifully executed, absolutely felt that "yaru"
May 14, 1:37 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the reason why Todo quit baseball was not because of the battery of Kei and Hakura. It was due to Todo making a game changing error at shortstop by having the yips and loosing ball control. Of course Todo blames himself for loosing the game for his seniors and he even turned down the scouts offer to go to a school with a good baseball team. Todo started getting into fights and changed his image to fit in with the delinquent crowd. I never heard of a baseball player having the yips and its basically an involuntary wrist spasm that causes someone to throw the ball inaccurately. There is no treatment to cure yips, but there are ways to overcome it through relaxation and positive reinforcement as yips is a psychological illness caused by performance anxiety which is what Todo is going through right now.
May 14, 1:50 PM

May 2019
TIL about yips and how it can affect baseball players along with golfers and players of other sports.

It was interesting getting Todo's backstory and what he went through. On that note I wonder if we'll get other characters' backstories too in particular I'm curious as to why Kei suffered amnesia.
May 14, 9:04 PM

Jan 2017
I swear, Chihaya can be pretty awesome sometimes. He's actually my second favorite character in this show next to Kei and the way he explained the terms in baseball was smooth and fun. It's interesting to see Todo's sisters, more importantly the expansion of his backstory regarding his baseball life, and I'm looking forward as to how he will overcome his yips. (I guess that twin is really important members huh)
May 14, 9:04 PM

Mar 2007
Wow Todo's backstory was tragic as hell. One pitch and he was like "I can't hit this" then he froze, made just one mistake and .... damn, that descent to hell was heartbreaking to watch. I guess this is why they have sports psychologists, because it's all mental and in his head, his body seemed like he kept it still in good condition.

Him not being able to eat that ramen was even sadder. I was not expecting a mappa sakuga street fight, that was insane. He still got zerged though.

I hope they find a few more players to round out their team.
May 14, 9:13 PM

Jan 2017
Reply to gyanburubii
It's a Todo centered episode!! What have I done to deserve such a treat? (ʃƪ T♡⁠T)✧*.

I knew I wasn't wrong about him being a caring person. Under that haughty, seemingly self-centered demeanor truly lies a heart of pure 24 carat gold sounds a lot like a certain someone sharing the same seiyuu, I may have a type!!! Just when I thought I couldn't love him any more than I already do after witnessing that heartwarming display of healthy, wholesome family dynamics (the fondness in both Todo's voice and expression when he greeted his little sister completely melted my heart), they hit us with one of the most raw flashback sequences I've ever seen.

After a grave mistake in a crucial match, Todo left himself to bear the burden crushing his seniors' dreams. He refused to forgive himself, because he cherished them. Furthermore, using physical pain as an alternative to escape from mental suffering is the principle of self-harm, and finding out Todo essentially kept letting himself get into fights on purpose to forget about his trauma on the field was genuinely heartbreaking. Still, he was careful to avoid any serious injuries that would keep him from playing because in the end, he couldn't shake off his passion for baseball. Having learned all this about his past, revisiting the first meeting scene from the perspective of his inner voice was a perfect way to end the episode: the weight of his words hit harder than Kiyomine's pitches. Honestly, the whole episode was cinema by itself – especially with MAPPA doing a pristine job on the animation as always.

PS. This scene encapsulates the character dynamics of our main cast perfectly and that's why I love them, haha.

@gyanburubii My, you explained well haha 👏👏👏
May 15, 7:24 AM
May 2024
Todo-kun has been targeted by delinquents since he quitted baseball
And of course, thanks to the baseball bat (as usual delinquent's trope weapon) he made his potential comeback
May 15, 9:55 AM
Dec 2020
this was so corny and overly dramatic for no reason...
this had three horrible eps followed by two ok ones and now this..
May 15, 11:48 PM

Aug 2011
So this is an anime about how traumatized high school students find the joys of playing baseball again!

May 16, 3:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Aoi and his self autodestructive spiral after lost a match!!!
kekeke
May 17, 2:05 AM

Oct 2022
Was great back story of Todou didn't knew it lead him that way.
May 17, 2:16 AM

Feb 2016
Todo = Drama queen
May 17, 8:28 AM

Oct 2008
the first half was priceless comedy with the bijin oneesan and kawaii imouto! but this episode is primarily focused on the drama yips of Aoi Toudou!!
5/5.

May 18, 12:23 PM

Jul 2017
Helping Kei understand baseball, there's just no hope for the 5 guys, and going to Aoi's place, Kei...is dumbfounded even at the sight of his cute younger sister.

It's back to Baseball 101 for Kei as Shunpei does the explanation, as long as the former gets it, everything should be OK. But for Aoi, his life is not just getting the yips, but pretty much a jarring expression of all thngs gone wrong, from simple errors that he finds baffling, to being potentially scouted for Teitoku, which he got absolutely crushed against the unsurmountable Hoya battery duo. Even then, his own team did the best they can, but Aoi got more flustered to the point where he turned out to be the failure instead. The irony that he was the only one scouted for Teitoku, and more than throwing easy errors, developing yips became part of that problem as he drops from hero to zero. Worse still, expectations put on him just made his circumstances all the more striking, as he reverts to anything that could help him forget the pain, such as gang fighting. And even then, seeing both Haruka and Kei again just naturally popped the past into his mind.

Aoi's "I Do!" moment, will it be realized?
May 18, 12:39 PM

Oct 2011
Yama is such a good character, he is kinda on the side line most of the time, but he really is my favourite of them all. He really shines as a good, supportive friend.

More explanation on baseball, the little switch that Kei imagined had me dead. This show has so many small moments where it makes me laugh.

So most of the ep was Aoi's past and damn, bro is too hard on himself.
May 18, 1:41 PM

Aug 2023
Gosh that was a proper incredible episode one of the best backstories in sports anime i've seen
May 19, 1:07 AM

Sep 2011
the family dynamic in this series lol now i'm kinda curious how the rest of gang treats/interact with their own family with the others around. and you can't have sports anime without the feels attached to it.

More topics from this board

» Episode 8 Delayed

IzanaSolos - May 21

3 by AddaeAkono »»
May 28, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 21

17 by phantomfandom »»
May 24, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7

19 by Ayunee »»
May 18, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30

23 by Ayunee »»
May 18, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23

44 by Ayunee »»
May 18, 9:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.