Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 16, 8:53 AM
Mar 2022
I give Frieren an 8.5/10 as it stands. The main plot was so sidelined that I actually forgot what the party's actual objective was by the end of the season lol. Give it some more plot and it would've been an easy 10/10, since every other aspect is spectacular.
Apr 16, 9:01 AM
Jan 2024
I can respect that honestly because its the same for me but in my opinion frieren was never ment to be for the plot it was meant as sorta a lesson how to value the things you have now because you may not have them later in life and thqts probably shy the plot got sidelined. Frieren is a show wich mostly focuses on character development and character interaction and background
Apr 16, 9:05 AM
Mar 2021
Zyro_Plaze said:
I can respect that honestly because its the same for me but in my opinion frieren was never ment to be for the plot it was meant as sorta a lesson how to value the things you have now because you may not have them later in life and thqts probably shy the plot got sidelined. Frieren is a show wich mostly focuses on character development and character interaction and background

Yeah, I agree 💯
Apr 16, 9:08 AM
Sep 2016
I think that opinion is fair. I still give it a 10 because I think the over-arching plot isn’t as important as the smaller journeys and stops along the way. Frieren pays so much attention to detail and just great character moments and interactions that it didn’t bother me at all. I had no nags about a single episode.

And it’s not like, never mentioned, they’re making steady progress to Auriole (or whatever it’s called my bad) but it’s a long journey and they take a slightly more realistic approach to the passage of time because of Frieren’s long lifespan and wanting to rest in towns, do ‘side quests’, collect spells and whatnot.

Also really loved the mage exam arc, some of the characters I didn’t completely love but it was just so well thought out and written. I really hope they take their time with an adaptation for the rest of the manga whenever it gets far enough for another season like this one.
Apr 16, 9:11 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
well it literally says "journey" in the title so of course it would show more of the journey and the trips they make throughout it !!!
i think the reason it is laid back with so much of slice of life is one of the reasons why it has such a high rating !!! the objective is kind of basic tbh but its the overall journey that sells

it's a cruel world out there
Apr 16, 9:21 AM
May 2016
Mostmine said:
I give Frieren an 8.5/10 as it stands. The main plot was so sidelined that I actually forgot what the party's actual objective was by the end of the season lol. Give it some more plot and it would've been an easy 10/10, since every other aspect is spectacular.

There are plot and character driven shows. It can't be both and Frieren was a character driven plot.
Apr 16, 9:21 AM
Aug 2021
And I give it a 10 for that exact same reason. And, well, everything else
Apr 16, 9:22 AM
Mar 2021
Mostmine said:

Things don’t need to have a prominent plot to be good. It’s a mainly character driven story, with the characters having almost all of the agency within the show. It’s not striving to be a show with an enormous amount of plot, nor does it want to be. What it tries to do is focus almost exclusively on the characters and explore them, which it executes to near perfection
Apr 16, 9:25 AM
Nov 2018
@Mostmine Don't feel bad. I completely forgot what their aim was to. I started associating with it being more of an adventure and slice of life type anime after a while.
Apr 16, 9:30 AM
Oct 2020
Go watch a trashisekai then lol
Apr 16, 9:40 AM
Jul 2022
Reply to UltimateKai
Go watch a trashisekai then lol
Are you implying that the writing of an isekai is better than Frieren's writing?

Frieren's writing isn't great but isekai are still much worse
Apr 16, 9:43 AM

Sep 2016
I like that Frieren doesn't have such a heavy overarching plot like most other fantasy Anime, the side stories made it more diverse and lighthearted.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 16, 10:54 AM

Apr 2021
The plot of the entire anime was Frieren remembering her former comrades in their journey, opening up, becoming more “human” in character, and caring about people close to her.

How was that not followed?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 16, 10:57 AM

Apr 2021
_Mentalist said:
Are you implying that the writing of an isekai is better than Frieren's writing?

Frieren's writing isn't great but isekai are still much worse

May I have some examples of anime that would help me understand you mean by “isekai (writing) is still much worse”?
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Apr 16, 10:59 AM

Dec 2022
I feel like something being "plot-driven" isn't necessarily a good thing. What people decide to do is eventually decided by their interactions with other people, therefore plot itself is driven by characters. Something being "plot-driven" makes it sound like some higher power is artificially controlling the characters to do something that is not a result of them interacting with each other organically.
Apr 16, 11:20 AM

Jul 2023
I feel like Frieren is #1 on MAL due to the different approach the mangaka took in writing the story. Even if the endpoint of the plot isn’t the primary drive to the storyline, I feel like it was done like that on purpose to create more individuality.

If I wanted a plot that has some clear goal to reach for after the end of a long journey, I’d watch any other anime that does that. I actually prefer if Frieren becomes freeform and steers from the norm, especially if everything else in the show makes up for the lack of plot.

It’s also just more realistic. I mean, it’s a 10 year journey they’re venturing on—I expect a LOT of side quests.
It'll all be okay in the end. If you're not okay, it's not the end.
Apr 16, 1:38 PM

Jan 2024
Mostmine said:

I think you are missing one if Frieren's key storyline. Frieren does NOT want to do the "plot".

What is the point of asking for more plot in a story where the protagonist does everything in her power in NOT having to do the plot!

LOLZ
Apr 16, 4:24 PM
Apr 2022
The entire thing is a fucking plot point???? Her learning to understand humans better IS THE MAIN PLOT. Are you sure you watched???
Apr 16, 4:26 PM

Aug 2018
The journey itself is the plot.
Apr 16, 6:47 PM
Sep 2017
I gave Frieren an 8/10 and also typically don't care for adventure of the week affairs. I haven't read any source material, but I have a feeling this show isn't going to get a cathartic conclusion where they meet all their friends in heaven.

This doesn't seem like a show that is ever going to keep me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next week. Just gonna enjoy it for what it is.
Apr 16, 8:44 PM

Nov 2013
Its certainly a long journey. Keep in mind that theres no teleporting and the North is under lockdown (which is what they were doing the mage exam for).

I can definitely agree that they could do more to remind us like "we can finally pass the border" on the last episode.
Apr 16, 11:01 PM
Jul 2014
I get it, but at the same time this series is explicitly clear that it's about the journey more than the destination
Apr 17, 4:49 AM

Feb 2020
Mostmine said:

Shallow and Mid, never gonna understand what is so interesting in this.

Apr 17, 7:03 AM
Oct 2020
Cyrose said:
Mostmine said:

>talks about Shallow and Mid
>has the most Shallow and Mid animangas oat in favs and also likes Genshin Impact 💀
what
Apr 17, 7:04 AM

Feb 2020
TheFirstHunter said:
Cyrose said:

>talks about Shallow and Mid
>has the most Shallow and Mid animangas oat in favs and also likes Genshin Impact 💀
what

💀💀 whos talking

Apr 17, 2:00 PM

Nov 2013
Mostmine said:
The main plot was so sidelined
Dude you missed the point of this show entirely then. It's "Frieren: Beyond Journey's End". There is an end-goal but the story is obviously focused on the journey, not the destination. The show will take its sweet time to reach the destination so it'll be better if you change your mindset and also focus on the journey, rather than expecting to see somewhat quick conclusion. It just won't happen.
Apr 17, 2:35 PM

Jul 2017
what did u think the main plot of the story is? The main plot itself is frieren and her wanting to understand more abt humans and how she feels abt them
Apr 17, 2:46 PM

Jan 2013
Frieren is the epitome of "maybe the real "x" were the friends we made along the way".
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 17, 2:56 PM
Apr 2023
surprise Okeanix isn't here trashtalking the show
Apr 17, 3:51 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to Saynarra
surprise Okeanix isn't here trashtalking the show
@Saynarra Cause he got banned. An alt might pop i guess.
Apr 17, 4:00 PM

Jul 2013
It sounds like you missed the point, but everyone has different preferences.
Apr 17, 5:14 PM
Mar 2024
I mean that’s kinda the point there’s a vague goal that seems unimportant to the mc and we’re just watching her life as she roams slowly toward that goal I get that sometimes it can feel slow but it’s not slow in a filler type of way it’s slow in a relaxed type of way I understand where you’re coming from but I think either the show just isn’t for you or you missed the point
Apr 17, 11:27 PM
Dec 2018
Well she's still on her journey to understand human, and in that process, she recalls of the time she spent with her party but didn't think much of it back then. That's basically the plot. It might be different from other shows like finding the one piece, gathering all the fingers, killing all the titans, etc. But let's agree, Frieren is not about some great end goal, it's about living life and appreciating little things. It's a story about doing side questions since main quest has already been cleared.
Apr 19, 9:44 AM

May 2011
Mostmine said:

Give it some more plot and it's no longer what it is. I'd actually cut don some of event arcs further down the line.
Apr 19, 10:26 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
The plot is to get to Ende, but there's a lot of adventure and side quests along the way. It's quite story rich, even if the narrative isn't super complex.
Apr 19, 10:35 AM
Jan 2018
The exam was part of the main plot
Apr 19, 12:13 PM

Aug 2020
Reply to Dene34
@Saynarra Cause he got banned. An alt might pop i guess.
Oh shit...really???

Wow, now just 1 guy left.
Keep scrolling
Apr 19, 9:01 PM
Jun 2022
I give it 10/10 precisely because it is character-driven.
Apr 24, 6:54 AM
Apr 2022
>people when they don’t read the title
Apr 24, 7:34 AM

Aug 2020
It has a decent plot concept therefore I give it a 8.77752/10

Apr 24, 7:36 AM

Jan 2009
even video games has a lot of side quest this days so no its fine to have many side quests
Apr 25, 3:09 AM
Aug 2022
That's exactly the point of the show and the underlying philosophy.

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tse
Apr 27, 1:09 AM

Jul 2015
Two main reasons why i dropped this anime :
Boring/uninteresting/generic plot
Fern being verbally abusive towards Stark most of the time ruined the romance part for me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2023

363 by Vindicater »»
29 minutes ago

» Why Frieren will inspire better stories

GoatPieceLuffy - May 27

36 by PeeBeeBoi »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 28 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 22

826 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 27, 11:37 PM

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2023

231 by ad0rablegoat »»
May 27, 4:48 PM

Poll: » "Sousou no Frieren" Adult Adaptation has been announced ( 1 2 )

deg - May 16

59 by Zarutaku »»
May 27, 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.