Forum Settings
Forums

Was Carl Macek the reason why localizations got a bad rep?

New
Jan 7, 11:07 AM
Apr 2022
Localizations get a bad reputation for being not faithful to the original creator’s intentions, but no one can find out who’s fault was it that caused it to have a negative influence on anime. Most people claimed that Carl Macek, the founder of Streamline Pictures, was to blame for all of the localization issues that plagued the industry. Carl created Robotech by mashing up Macross together into a movie. Fans however dismissed this dub as it was too disrespectful to the original creator’s intention for Macross. So, do you think that Carl Macek was to blame for localizations getting a bad reputation towards anime fans?
Jan 7, 11:35 AM

Jun 2016
Maybe he contributed to the reputation as Robotech is frequently brought up but he is not single handedly responsible.
I also want to defend the choice to create Robotech as it was something that was requested by the TV networks. I don't think Mr. Macek himself saw these three unrelated series and thought they needed to be joined to be appealing.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 7, 11:41 AM
Apr 2022
@animegamer245 4kids and dic didn’t combine unreleated series into one show!
Jan 7, 11:43 AM

Oct 2018
Localizations got bad reputation because they're actually bad.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 7, 12:33 PM

Jul 2014
He's part of it, but I think Manga Entertainment and Central Park Media played a bigger role. They regularly smashed out the cheapest, sleaziest and trashiest OVAs they could get their hands on while giving their dubs questionable translations and goofy vocal performances.
Take care of yourself

Jan 7, 1:03 PM
Apr 2022
@animegamer245 kids today don’t know what the older fans had to go through.
Jan 7, 3:20 PM

Mar 2008
Even if that were the case not entirely because that was only done because it was the only way to get a five day a week syndication in the US because many anime series didnt meet minimum episode requirements. So it was whoever tried to get it syndicated.
Jan 7, 3:24 PM

Sep 2018
People always disliked censored localizations, but with the power of the internet such news spreads quick now. That, and a lot of these localizers are pandering to blackrock doing a bad job accurately translating the script.
Jan 7, 10:51 PM

Oct 2017
I wouldn't really say so. I'd say a lot of the controversy around localization stems more from 4Kids, Dic, Saban, and Nelvana in the late 90s and Early 2000s. The process of cutting things up had been a thing before Robotech as I'm pretty sure stuff like Speed Racer and Astro Boy had quite a bit of cutting before Robotech. People have gotten paranoid over any minor difference in localization because of how vastly different the scripts were from those 4 companies I've mentioned, censoring stuff like queer content, violence, cultural references to Japan, and stuff like animal and child abuse. Modern localizations are way better and more accurate than the stuff that came out even before companies like 4kids became infamous. So to answer your question, Carl really is pretty uninvolved in anything and most people literally have no idea who he is, more people would recognize the 4 companies I mentioned and their work on anime distribution.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 7, 11:10 PM
Jul 2018
the issue was bigger on an international scale. In many countries they either got the butchered script based on the English dub or an inaccurate English script, thus leading to inaccurate localisations.

bad English script - >bad English dub - > bad export dub
Jan 8, 12:29 AM

May 2018
"Was Carl Macek the reason why localizations got a bad rep?"

Definitely he and his Robotech is one of the reasons, but there are earlier examples like Sandy Frank and his Battle of the Planets.
MST3K even had a song about Sandy Frank and his live action compilation movies of live action japanese TV series.
Jan 8, 1:50 AM

Mar 2022
It's Jaimi Marchi. I don't think people my age even know Robotech, let alone 'Carl Macek' as to pin the blame solely on this obscure man from decades ago.
THE JAPANESE SHOULD STICK TO MAKING CARS AND ANIME - GARY K. JOHNSON

Jan 8, 2:11 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
I mean any localizer has to already face the bad rep that comes with the job. Maybe if they actually cared about the source material enough to do it justice then maybe we wouldn't be constantly discussing how bad localizers tend to be.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jan 8, 2:19 AM

Sep 2016
most localisers start as fans who yearn for accurate translations, and eventually begin justifying big script changes in their head once they actually get into the industry, for various reasons

one of them, from what I understand is that they lose respect for what they're translating, believing that "fixing" things is more important than preserving the creator's work (the ones that go around preaching about it on social media)

I understand that translators contracted by western companies, that distribute anime in the west, are kind of forced to change stuff to match western values, so I don't blame them (it's what pays the bills, after all), but it's the reason I'll always prefer fansubs
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

Jan 8, 2:25 AM
Jun 2021
For a lot of early anime fans, yeah. The fact Macross still can't release properly worldwide in 2024 because of Harmony Gold is so aggravating.
Later on I believe it was 4kids that really took the crown, and nowadays you've got Funimation/Crunchyroll weirdos like Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial who thought that an anime about a big-titty gyaru (Hajimete no Gyaru) needed anti-Trump jokes.
All in all it depends on the timeframe.
Hot Blood saves lives.

More topics from this board

» Is Shojo Anime making a comeback?

RedTea33 - 2 minutes ago

0 by RedTea33 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How dominant is anime in the content you consume?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

21 by phokingbeast »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

11 by Shirayukin »»
3 minutes ago

» Does a person die the moment they become egg custard or the moment they're eaten as an egg custard?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

10 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Why Trap Characters are good

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

9 by Lucifrost »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.