Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2023 5:44 PM

Oct 2020
back in the early 2000s all the dubs were really good some examples are death note , welcome to the NHK,  Planetes , Dragon ball but when i search for a show made in the 2020s they all seem to be really bad, they also seem to use the same voice actor for every guy because they all sound the same 
Aug 16, 2023 5:48 PM

Sep 2018
I would say yes on the basis that they are not as focused on delivery a good localization anymore.  Like how MHA censors Minetta in dub.
Aug 16, 2023 5:49 PM

Oct 2020
smallgalaxy said:
i did not think i would find a worse take on dubbing after all this time as someone who enjoys dubs but wow, this probably tops them all

maybe you're just watching the wrong anime dubbed tho, who knows
name me some good dubs that have been made recently because i haven't found any 
Aug 16, 2023 6:03 PM

Jun 2007
Inb4 all the "they were always the worst" PostCount++ spammers who don't actually watch any dubs.

I haven't heard a lot of super-recent dubs, but part of the problem is the time crunch. A lot of new dubs come out within weeks of the Japanese airing, whereas the older 2000s dubs came out years later, and had weeks or months of time between individual volume releases to adapt scripts and do the necessary retakes to get things as good as possible. Older dubs also had the benefit of knowledge -- with the whole run of the show available, they could adapt things to avoid localization pitfalls, e.g. "Character A stops calling Character B 'B-san' and uses their name with no honorific, and it's a Big Deal." The casting is also a side effect of the time crunch. With more time (and money) available in the era when anime came out on 3-5-episode DVDs at $29.98 apiece, there was more room to work in new voice actors. But when there's pressure to get a new episode out every week, directors lean on the proven VAs that can get things done on time and within budget.

Because contrary to popular misbelief, anime dubbing is a pretty specialized skill, and not every actor can do it. Even the big Hollywood names.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Aug 16, 2023 8:03 PM

Jul 2023
The DIC English Dub for Sailor Moon made me lost faith in English Dub. At least, Viz Media has made a much better version years later, so new viewers can grow up with an English version of the series while expereincing it as if they were watching the original Japanese voice acting, and I would definitely recommend the Viz Media dub if anyone wants to watch Sailor Moon in English. To hell with the DIC version!
I am using the best palette swap.
Aug 16, 2023 8:09 PM
Oct 2019
There was never a time when all dubs were good. Maybe all the ones you watched from the 2000s were, but I'm sure there were just as many, if not more bad dubs then compared to now.

Personally, I think dubs in general are getting better, but I think it'll always depend on the show, and the studio handling it. Like, I don't think Sentai Filmworks is even capable of competent localization.
Aug 16, 2023 8:38 PM

Jun 2022
No I thought the chainsaw man dub was just as good as the Japanese track, didn't really like the JJK dub though.
Aug 16, 2023 8:45 PM

Mar 2023
Kind of. Newer dubs seem to use the same few voice actors, which can be irritating at times. It feels like older anime had much more variety in terms of voices. It's not all bad though, there's still good dubs out there, just gotta look for it.

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───

IT'S FINALLY OVER 😭

───ˋˏ🍔ˎˊ───
Aug 16, 2023 8:58 PM
Apr 2022
I don’t really watch dubbed anime anymore but I thought the Cyberpunk Edgerunners’ dub was pretty good. I doubt they are getting worse because bad dubs have always been around.
Aug 16, 2023 9:03 PM

Jun 2017
I don't like modern dubs because literally every female character seems to be voiced by Monica Rial. Every...Single...One.

All of the voices of my childhood just don't get cast anymore.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Aug 16, 2023 9:08 PM

Mar 2019
English dubbing has always been bad, listening to Naruto screaming "SHADOW CLONE JUTSU" even makes my ears bleed like Rock Lee in the forest of death lol.

Aug 16, 2023 10:56 PM

Jan 2013
No. All dubs in the early 2000's were not "really good". This seems like a barely thought out post. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Aug 17, 2023 12:05 AM

Jun 2019
Some of my favourite dub actors are from older shows like Ryouko from Tenchi Muyo, with very distinctive voices. But, there are some different sounding VA coming through, for example Tomo-chan is a Girl had a great dub, Misuzu, Tomo and Carol all had very good dub VA. Then from this season, My Happy Marriage has some distinct VA, although that's on Netflix and they always seem to produce good dubs.
Aug 17, 2023 11:17 AM

Aug 2017
Cyberpunk Edgerunners' dub proves that wrong, although I will admit most of my favorite dubs are also from the 00s
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
Aug 17, 2023 12:18 PM

Nov 2015
yes. the original language will always be better.

They changed this

to this?

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 17, 2023 2:08 PM
Jul 2018
It also matters that Japanese companies, except Ghibili maybe, are not so strict on the translation, compared to say  Disney and other companies that often redub their old foreign dub classics to be more faithfull to the original, though they turn out inferior. And all this  to the dismay of the audiences that grew with the old dubs.

Now companies are very strict with the foreign translations and dubs compared to previous decades.

Though in the case of anime, such control would be impossible, especially in more niche series.

Aug 17, 2023 2:46 PM

Aug 2020
Yea, they running a pretty bad monopoly on anime dubs. Cus the good ones stay with video game dubs.
Keep scrolling
Aug 17, 2023 6:37 PM

Nov 2015
smallgalaxy said:
Old_School_Akira said:
yes. the original language will always be better.

They changed this

to this?

truly a masterful change, i love it! the original seems so bland and safe, and it definitely doesn't help that it's read instead of heard. The dub line almost feels like something out of ghost stories or panty and stocking!

i truly cant even tell if you were being serious with this criticism, all the comments on the video seem to love it as well

no the dub is worst. They re wrote it just to appeal to the LGBTQIA+
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 17, 2023 8:32 PM

Mar 2019
The English dub floor is higher than it's ever been. The average quality is higher than it used to be, too. And you get something like one-third to half of the shows each season dubbed now, it feels like, which is big for dub watchers.

The English dub ceiling is probably a bit lower than it was at one point in time, however.
Aug 17, 2023 8:47 PM

Sep 2015
Honestly the issue is that Funimation is trying to pump out dubbed content as fast as they can with less regard for quality. Back in the 2000s you had to wait for your US releases on DVD and that often gave companies dubbing them more time to work on the localization. Honestly I really like dubs and want to watch more anime dubbed than subbed but when the dubs leave me feeling nothing at all I just can't justify watching them.
Jul 25, 3:47 PM
Mar 2022
no they are fine its just shitty weebs and up tight over the top critical for no other reason except to just be an ass dumbshits who rag on dubs non-stop which are usually basement dwelling forever alone unwanted perma-virgin losers swimming in a sea of jizz tissues and waifu body pillows all with the face, tits, and crotch area faded out due to over use. All that does is just shit on the possibility of some dubs never happening because some dork wants to be some kinda keyboard warrior.
Yesterday, 10:13 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to TheBlockernator
I don't like modern dubs because literally every female character seems to be voiced by Monica Rial. Every...Single...One.

All of the voices of my childhood just don't get cast anymore.
@TheBlockernator Usually if I hear her voice a character I switch subs right away; not worth getting a ear ache over watching anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Yesterday, 10:51 AM

Feb 2023
English dubs have always been terrible. Stick to subs, or better yet, learn Japanese and watch anime raw. That will take years though.
Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Feb 2021
Nah they are getting better and better.
Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Nov 2017
the only good thing about Eng Dub is Abridged Anime Content and Ghost Stories
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Aug 2012
Aren't they getting better? I watch dubs every now and then and I find the dubs from the 80s and 90s harder to watch compared to the ones now.
Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Jan 2009
studio triggers works like promare, cyberpunk edgerunners and dungeon meshi have great english dubs imo
Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Nov 2021
I rarely watch eng dubs, but yeah I do agree older anime like cowboy bebop, samurai champloo, GiTS etc. all have pretty good dubs comparatively
Yesterday, 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
They were never that good to begin with btw...
10 hours ago

Oct 2023
Dubs have gotten better...The sub for this thread however is "worst". Honestly this is just another dumb subs vs dubs thread...but I had to laugh at the irony of using worst over worse while trying to dunk on dubs...just saying.
10 hours ago
Aug 2022
This post is weird. If anything dubs have gotten better not worse lol.

More topics from this board

» Which superpower you like choose from an anime character irl?

nirererin - 7 hours ago

4 by Maou_heika »»
9 seconds ago

» What is the trashiest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

basrekichka - Yesterday

61 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» What do you think about 00s anime?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

14 by FanofAction »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » What should be the next Type Moon anime project.

AnimePedestrian - Yesterday

22 by AnimePedestrian »»
31 minutes ago

» How many years has it been since you started anime? ( 1 2 )

nirererin - Jul 25

69 by FanofAction »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.