Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2022 7:45 PM

Mar 2021
Not to hate on this. But i find it funny that the mainstream media and tubers who declared this the best or top 2/3 have basically forgotten about the show and moved on to bleach, chainsaw man, my hero academia. It's days of tracking 1 on corner and trendz seems to be behind them.

It was lucky in spring its only competitors were date a live and kaguya. But once the shonens came in, it got eaten by the sharks

As someone who has read the manga, it takes a while for the plot to progress. With this shows pacing where people are monologuing all the time, it feels like they are trying to drag it out. Endo ironically doesn't like his own creation that much.

What do you think?
Nov 16, 2022 7:55 PM
Feb 2015
nah its pretty good, some stuff just has its time in the limelight just because
Nov 16, 2022 8:09 PM
Jul 2019
Because there are shows that better than Spy X family, CSM is even more hype than this show, Bleach is also for the hype and nostalgia so obviously they will be talked about more
Nov 16, 2022 8:23 PM
Mar 2021
it's a good show for me and I am currently reading it's manga it's fine but i think I was overhyped for this show because of wit studio
Nov 16, 2022 8:40 PM
Jul 2021
Well written, well animated, enjoyable to watch. The manga was already very big pre-anime release, the popularity combined with the studios working on it just helped elevate it. It’s also easy to watch, not overly “violent“ and a good vibe show. It appeals to a large range of people
Nov 16, 2022 8:53 PM
Jan 2021
Cringe post.

People like what they like. No use saying this show is better than that show because people can like both shows. People usually watch for enjoyment, so it’s foreign to MAL users.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Nov 16, 2022 8:54 PM
Sep 2021
Nobody cares about date a live so only kaguya was its only competitor really
Nov 16, 2022 9:05 PM
Sep 2020
icefirestone23 said:
Not to hate on this. But i find it funny that the mainstream media and tubers who declared this the best or top 2/3 have basically forgotten about the show and moved on to bleach, chainsaw man, my hero academia. It's days of tracking 1 on corner and trendz seems to be behind them.

It was lucky in spring its only competitors were date a live and kaguya. But once the shonens came in, it got eaten by the sharks

As someone who has read the manga, it takes a while for the plot to progress. With this shows pacing where people are monologuing all the time, it feels like they are trying to drag it out. Endo ironically doesn't like his own creation that much.

What do you think?

Too be fair those streamers and media people constantly have to change their seasons focus to make the video and money. They all gave spy family their praises and stuff and now the go too are bleach, csm, and mha. But for some overall quality and story spy family should be praised and more talked about than mha
Nov 16, 2022 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Spy x family was beaten by other shonen carried by media hype, but things like this happen regularly

It's how this world works, if you want to stay relevant, always bring something new
Nov 16, 2022 9:47 PM

Nov 2014
Nah, the hype-wagoners were always more interested in action anime. The tubers generally fall into that crowd too, and have better things that excite them more to talk about this season.

It's not that the show is perfect either. I think the screen time is much too focused on Loid and Anya. And contrary to a lot I've heard, I've never been too entertained by Anya's school scenes. There's not much focus on Yor and her profession, plus the tension of them not knowing each other's profession is gone more or less. Multiple stories now where she's just there to tie up Loid's mission by beating someone up because "Haha she's an assassin". In the end the story is either Loid spy mission mode or chill family/school mode.

Overall, the show is still an entertaining watch. I'd say it's about as good as the first part.
BurningSpiritNov 16, 2022 9:51 PM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 16, 2022 10:03 PM
Jan 2021
Even though I liked this show, I'm going to say yes. A lot of it's success was initially because of media hype
Nov 16, 2022 10:25 PM

Mar 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:

Date a live has a much stronger plot than both kaguya and spy x family. Also a bigger franchise. Kaguya and spy x are just new waifu slice of life with little plot direction shows that newcomers will vehemently rally behind just like my dress up darling.

Realistically no one will consider kaguya, spy x, dress up darling under shows with an actual plot. It's a joke how people are complaining about bleach being 1 on corner all season and spy x not when Bleach is an objectively better show.
Nov 16, 2022 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
Saimatsu_Fan said:

youd be surprised how many people like date a live
Nov 16, 2022 10:31 PM

Mar 2021
JoshJoestar97 said:

Too be fair those streamers and media people constantly have to change their seasons focus to make the video and money. They all gave spy family their praises and stuff and now the go too are bleach, csm, and mha. But for some overall quality and story spy family should be praised and more talked about than mha

Agree on streamers but a ton of anime streamers are not caught up on older shows so they only cover new one.

Csm is getting shilled far more than Bleach is by anitube. I would say spy x is a lot as well. But let us be real here. Spy x is a SOL with little plot direction like kaguya and dress up darling. Yet these shows are considered better than action oriented plot shows like mha. Those are some double standards.
Nov 16, 2022 10:37 PM
Dec 2020
When Spy x Family is the most popular anime of thr season in Japan.
Nov 16, 2022 11:59 PM

Feb 2020
no, its a lovely and funny show. And that's basically enough to be highly praised. If an anime can perform in their genre great they don't need anything else to please people.

Nov 17, 2022 12:31 AM
Nov 2022
50/50
The anime is entertaining without the need to fall into things like fanservice or something like that.

Although on the other hand, it's not a big deal either, I would say that it was supported by the hype but only because it was something a bit different from what came in the spring season.
Nov 17, 2022 1:37 AM

Jul 2015
This season is oversaturated with very good shows. Spy X Family is just one of those very good shows.

Nov 17, 2022 2:12 AM
Nov 2022
Cyrose said:
no, its a lovely and funny show. And that's basically enough to be highly praised. If an anime can perform in their genre great they don't need anything else to please people.
naah Spy IS basically trash compared to Mha
Nov 17, 2022 2:14 AM
Nov 2022
LuisSV23 said:
50/50
The anime is entertaining without the need to fall into things like fanservice or something like that.

Although on the other hand, it's not a big deal either, I would say that it was supported by the hype but only because it was something a bit different from what came in the spring season.
spring was pure mediocrity that's why
Unlike winter and Fall only peaks. Aot S4P2. Kny. CSM. Bleach ๐Ÿคฉ
Nov 17, 2022 3:04 AM
Nov 2009
Consider the fact that people have been waiting for over a decade for Bleach... also new viewers who are just getting into the franchise, it's like a new shiny thing currently. Ofc other shows will be overshadowed right now. I don't know what else you expect anyone to say.
Nov 17, 2022 3:39 AM
Apr 2021
Honestly I'm dropping it after this part. It's becoming more and more shonen-esque, feel-good escapism that I quite dislike personally.
Nov 17, 2022 3:47 AM
Sep 2020
icefirestone23 said:
JoshJoestar97 said:

Agree on streamers but a ton of anime streamers are not caught up on older shows so they only cover new one.

Csm is getting shilled far more than Bleach is by anitube. I would say spy x is a lot as well. But let us be real here. Spy x is a SOL with little plot direction like kaguya and dress up darling. Yet these shows are considered better than action oriented plot shows like mha. Those are some double standards.

I’m only comparing it because it’s currently airing same way I would’ve included marimashita iruma-kun or to your eternity if they had been brought up. But you correct under normal circumstances you can’t compare since they they are two different genres of shounen. But when we are talking opinions on the season then when we can. But over I’ve had a better time watching spy family than mha even with the updated animation(which is carrying the current season) the story writing is just meh. Like it’s fun, looks pretty at times and the voice actors being phenomenal that’s about it for me.
Nov 17, 2022 5:22 AM

Apr 2020
I've lost count of the amount of SxF topics that could be easily answered with "Just watch the actual statistics outside of MAL or the 2-3k people seasonal polls and there's your answer"

Despite competing with shows as popular as the current season line up and not having a loud and vocal fanbase to show off, it's doing just as well as when it aired in Spring. You could argue it's doing even better, considering the shows of the Fall season.
Nov 17, 2022 6:14 AM

Jul 2019
Anitubers revolves around what's the talk of the town so it's natural they don't talk about Spy Family much. Now, whether they have forgotten the show is unconvincing.

icefirestone23 said:
Endo ironically doesn't like his own creation that much.

I've seen this sentiment going around and I think it's nonsense.

Nov 17, 2022 7:47 AM
Nov 2022
Honestly speaking of facts, they indeed marketed this anime really well like catchy teasers and making really curiosity but did it the only cause that carry on this anime ? No.
The manga did pretty well job with a good story line, and each of episodes are like fine wine, the more you watch more interesting it gets, also generally first episode of majority of anime has many views, then the viewer decide to not or to watch . they did really great job in these genres but well the fact that some very interesting parts of manga havent included in the anime is a bit sad but overall I really like this anime .
Nov 17, 2022 8:06 AM
Apr 2022
i think it depends on which group of consumers one is following to make this statement bc ppl i know who were excited abt cour1 are still watching cour2 enthusiastically, this season is heavily dominated by action shonen so those who eat that genre (many streamers) are obviously more loud abt those but ppl who enjoys chilled sol are hyped for cour2 too
Nov 17, 2022 8:27 AM

Apr 2016
icefirestone23 said:

What do you think?

I'm anime-only, so, your statement about the plot not progressing for a while is scary to me.

I believe the hype was justified and not just a fluke. It was a great concept, a breath of fresh air, an enjoyable show.
A lot of people, including tubers, were genuinely waiting for Part 2.

But then, the show took the route of many animangas with great concepts : just living off that concept.
It doesn't go further than that, it plays safe, relying on the initial concept that caught people's attention.

I assume this is how most mangakas are taught to write a story? Find a good concept, keep the status quo and just milk it as long as you can until your serie is cancelled?
Authors are picked for publication because of their base concept and 1st chapter attention-catching potential... not for their ability to develop a story.

If you look at it closely, the shows that manage to keep the hype up, are the ones with outstanding concepts and a well balanced amount of renewal. Whether it's through arcs, power ups, character development, or the whole setting changing like Jojo...
It's not an easy thing to do, a lot of authors fail at renewing their base concept or go too far to the point of genre shifting (Promised Neverland, Medaka Box....)

Even the mainstream shounens that I like to hate, have the merit to not keep the status quo forever. I can't deny that their authors are skilled for that.

This is exactly not what Spy x Family is doing with that Part 2, and the reason why it's going to be forgotten... it just stays in its comfort zone and keeps the status quo there...
As much as I love mangas and animes, I think this is a problem happening too often in mainstream productions... Spy X Family is still fine to watch, but the hype is gone for a valid reason.
Radical_OrionNov 17, 2022 8:38 AM
Nov 17, 2022 8:29 AM
Jul 2022
I think it’s wholesome, unlike most action anime which are incredibly gory and violent. In fact, I’d classify it more as slice of life, which is my favorite genre, but typically carries less buzz.
jaamun100Nov 17, 2022 8:35 AM
Nov 17, 2022 10:26 AM

Aug 2018
no it's carried by Anya. She carries this show so hard that even though the rest of the characters are good. Anya is just too good. When she grows up, she'll have severe back pain from carrying an entire series. The back pain will be so severe that she will never be able to walk straight again.
Maloween 2020 candies

Main candies:

Nov 17, 2022 10:38 AM
Nov 17, 2022 10:40 AM

Jan 2022
Hype has died down mostly because many people feel that s2 just isn't as high of quality as s1.

S1 was great IMO and deserved a top spot in people seasonal rankings. S2 just hasn't carried the ball quite as well for whatever reason.
-insert NGE meme here-
Nov 17, 2022 1:11 PM

Mar 2021
Dafrek said:

I'm anime-only, so, your statement about the plot not progressing for a while is scary to me.

I believe the hype was justified and not just a fluke. It was a great concept, a breath of fresh air, an enjoyable show.
A lot of people, including tubers, were genuinely waiting for Part 2.

But then, the show took the route of many animangas with great concepts : just living off that concept.
It doesn't go further than that, it plays safe, relying on the initial concept that caught people's attention.

I assume this is how most mangakas are taught to write a story? Find a good concept, keep the status quo and just milk it as long as you can until your serie is cancelled?
Authors are picked for publication because of their base concept and 1st chapter attention-catching potential... not for their ability to develop a story.

If you look at it closely, the shows that manage to keep the hype up, are the ones with outstanding concepts and a well balanced amount of renewal. Whether it's through arcs, power ups, character development, or the whole setting changing like Jojo...
It's not an easy thing to do, a lot of authors fail at renewing their base concept or go too far to the point of genre shifting (Promised Neverland, Medaka Box....)

Even the mainstream shounens that I like to hate, have the merit to not keep the status quo forever. I can't deny that their authors are skilled for that.

This is exactly not what Spy x Family is doing with that Part 2, and the reason why it's going to be forgotten... it just stays in its comfort zone and keeps the status quo there...
As much as I love mangas and animes, I think this is a problem happening too often in mainstream productions... Spy X Family is still fine to watch, but the hype is gone for a valid reason.

I am caught up to reading the manga and while there is a bit of plot and backstop involved, the focus of childcare and Anya hasn't changed so it is not like it is going to blow your mind.

I do agree for manga, especially comedy, romantic comedy, dragging something out leads to slice of life and staleness.

Like kaguya after the confession just continues that love subplot that people aren't interested in plus more slice of life.

Other notable example is nisekoi that ran for very long and after the initial hook, largely just became slice of life and repetitive threads.

Of course we know kanokari

But since comedy and romcom has their high confession moments, people tend to look over the staleness of the story.
Nov 21, 2022 12:32 PM
Sep 2021
I feel the plot is progressing too slowly :/ I personally don't feel as engaged as in the first episodes
Nov 21, 2022 3:50 PM

Sep 2020
It's still dominating the big charts on r/anime tho but I do agree that the hype especially on MAL is not as evident as it once was.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Nov 21, 2022 6:24 PM
Jul 2018
icefirestone23 said:

What do you think?

It’s literally the second popular show this season in mal and the most popular show in japan. Shounen fanboys got to chill
Nov 22, 2022 9:11 AM

Dec 2016
LordSozin said:

icefirestone23 said:
Endo ironically doesn't like his own creation that much.

I've seen this sentiment going around and I think it's nonsense.

@icefirestone23

Yeah, this rumor was created by clickbait website that cherry picked parts from original interview.

original interview
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/263/
clickbait website
https://en.as.com/meristation_en/2022/07/15/news/1657911905_266946.html#:~:text=Tatsuya%20Endo%2C%20the%20mangaka%20behind,no%20attachment%20to%20the%20characters.%22
"summary"
https://twitter.com/deepChasms/status/1581511146556690433
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpyxFamily/comments/wjg3l9/fanbook_kazue_kato_amu_tatsuya_endo_triparties/
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.105/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.182/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.99/? - weekly) | Machi and Oboro (Ch.11/? - biweekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.74/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.61/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Nov 22, 2022 9:22 AM

Oct 2018
Funny cuz this even without media hype right now, in terms of consistent production(direction, animation, etc.)just like Bocchi the Rock, this beats battle shounen anime right now. And it's mostly a SoL show, mindblowned right???
Nov 22, 2022 1:18 PM

Aug 2019
It's still an insanely popular show in Japan, as evidenced by it attracting more viewers than Chainsaw Man on TV over there.

Personally, I was lured in by it's first half-dozen episodes and thought it was going to be something that it ultimately wasn't : a more action-oriented spy thriller series with some light comedy and the occasional character-building SOL moments throw in. Instead we get what is essentially a SOL with action occasionally sprinkled in.

People can debate all they want but there's absolutely no doubt interest in the series outside of Japan has fallen off a cliff, especially this season.

Nov 24, 2022 11:47 AM

Sep 2014
I think season 1 was also just straight up better. It was a unique and interesting setting, now we are used to it and it degressed on top
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 24, 2022 2:11 PM
Sep 2021
And these post is why anime watchers' opinions are not trust-worthy.
Jan 3, 2023 12:47 AM

Oct 2008
I don't think so, while I myself am not a fan of it at all, Spy x Family definitely has a big fan base, dedicated to it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2022

365 by InClouseau »»
Sep 18, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 12, 2022

254 by PaddyVu »»
Aug 27, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2022

220 by Xramadhan »»
Aug 23, 3:48 PM

Poll: » TV animeใ€ŽSPYร—FAMILYใ€ร— BUMP OF CHICKENใ€ŒSOUVENIRใ€Anime MV

LittleStar - Jul 24

5 by kawaii_gaara »»
Jul 26, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Spy x Family Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 15, 2022

380 by removed-user »»
Jul 18, 4:20 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.