Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2022 2:13 PM

Sep 2018
Weird topic yeah but I was just recently thinking about how my university would have a sort of market day once a week, and there was always a stall that sold jerky made with meat from some rather odd animals. The ones that stand out the most in my mind were the ostrich and kangaroo jerky, though I never got to try them since I was rather broke at the time (typical college student jazz). Here in Florida, apparently gator jerky is also pretty common.

I've considered popping back in just to try them since there's no rule about alumni returning and roaming the campus. Have y'all tried anything like this, and what was it like? Doesn't have to be jerky, that just got me thinking about it.

♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Jul 14, 2022 3:45 PM

Jun 2022
I've had ostrich burger and rattlesnake meatballs. I think those were the most exotic I've had. Both were delicious.

Venison steak is maybe my favorite food. Not weird, but not super common.
Jul 14, 2022 5:17 PM

Sep 2018
dragonmade said:
I've had ostrich burger and rattlesnake meatballs. I think those were the most exotic I've had. Both were delicious.

Venison steak is maybe my favorite food. Not weird, but not super common.

I was just thinking about how snakes were a thing that people eat sometimes. I never took snake for something that could be good but now I'm curious about it. But I guess if bottomfeeder fish like catfish and flounder can be good, then the standards don't have to be high with other meats.

♪ MAL card collector and anime challenge enjoyer
♫ My alignment is Chaotic Stupid™

Anime Challenges
Card Collection
DELIVER HERE!
Jul 15, 2022 1:13 AM

Mar 2021
I've eaten venison before, but I don't remember the taste. I've also eaten alligator; believe it or not, tastes just like chicken.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jul 15, 2022 6:24 AM
Jan 2021
Jokes on you I'm a f**king vegan.....
Jul 15, 2022 7:01 AM

Mar 2008
Hm if insects count I have tried a mealworm as a challenge to myself. Actually tastes like not much and very similar experience to eating a seed. Could actually be decent if it were cooked up and seasoned well and added into a meal but I’m not exactly jumping for that.

I don’t have much interest in eating different meats just because I don’t want to have any be added as part of my normal diet especially because I don’t want to help create a new meat industry where I live. I tolerate other meat consumption because anything normal my personal decision to eat it or not won’t really change anything.
Jul 15, 2022 9:01 AM

Jun 2016
I ate a spider as a wee lad if that counts.
Jul 15, 2022 4:25 PM

Sep 2017
I love boar.

It's a bit stronger than pork, but that adds something to it imo.

Thing is, boars are cute af, I don't have the heart to hunt them myself yet.

@Nekoburger

Am I to believe you don't even eat cat ?

Is everything a lie ?

;p
MoonspeakJul 16, 2022 5:51 AM
Jul 15, 2022 10:52 PM

Apr 2015
Does reindeer count as exotic? I eat it semi regularly. But when I was in South Africa I did eat some wildlife animals there, like blue wildebeest. Normally I eat game meat (deer and moose usually) and fish. I don't really like pork nor cow, never really ate them in childhood. I was actually shocked as a kid when I found out people eat cows... But if it counts as more exotic, I get meat also sometimes from deer-vehicle collisions. Depents how badly injured the animal is.
Jul 15, 2022 11:02 PM

Jun 2019
I maintain a running list of animal meats I've eaten to date, although I eventually need to revisit it and cross-check with my travel photos from over the years as I may be missing a few.

Besides the common ones in the 21st century U.S. (cow, chicken, pig, turkey, and to a lesser extent, lamb/sheep and duck as well as the most common and accessible seafood), I've had meats in various forms from the following up to now (some only once, some several times, some many times):

- Goat
- Black bear
- Deer
- Alligator
- Frog
- Kangaroo
- Octopus
- Squid
- Eel
- Silkworm
- Camel
- Turtle
- Quail
- Jellyfish
- Bison
- Reindeer
- Muskox
- Snail
- Ostrich
- Iguana
- Sea urchin
- Rabbit
- Armadillo
- Raccoon
- Shark
- Goose
- Elk
- Crawfish
- Pheasant
- Pigeon
- Pronghorn
- Wild boar
- Monkfish
- Emu
- Muskrat
- Dove
- Beaver
- Conch
- Arctic char
- Yak
- Burmese python

I'm not guaranteed to love everything or even like it, but as I wrote in another food-related thread topic recently, as long as it's physically edible and not poison, I'll always try it. That's the pledge I made to myself long ago.

Besides goat, which is my favorite meat overall and which I eat all the time in Indian cuisine as a vindaloo curry, my favorites definitely have been raccoon, turtle (in the form of turtle soup), and camel. All have something different to offer though.
WatchTillTandavaJul 15, 2022 11:13 PM
Jul 16, 2022 1:38 AM

Jun 2022
i was born and raised vegetarian. i dont want to be a vegetation, but i cant eat meat. its just too gross. however when we are able to feed on nutrient paste made of insects out if a nozzle. i will be the first.

i think the gross factor ppl get when they thibk abt earing insects or even a cat is what i get with meat just in general
rian2Jul 16, 2022 1:42 AM
Jul 16, 2022 2:06 AM

Apr 2022
I always pick up any exotic meat I see in my local shops. And I've had both kangaroo and ostrich. If I recall right, they were ok - nothing extraordinary. Ostrich was pretty much like lean chicken.

NekoburgerJul 16, 2022 6:39 AM
Jul 16, 2022 8:05 AM

Apr 2022
Moonspeak said:

Am I to believe you don't even eat cat ?

Is everything a lie ?

;p

Well, in the same way that some enthusiasts cars are rarely driven, some burgers are just too cute to eat. 😇

Jul 16, 2022 9:56 PM
Jul 2018
I've eaten a cricket before. Can that be counted?
Jul 18, 2022 7:15 PM

Jun 2019
mwinner said:
I've eaten a cricket before. Can that be counted?

Of course, since it's the meat of an animal which isn't commonly eaten (at least in your part of the world, presumably).

When I procured silkworm I'm disappointed in retrospect that I didn't also go for the dried crickets one aisle over in the freezer section. Cricket flour seems to have taken off as a mini alternative trend in the past few years though.

More topics from this board

» When did you first experience heartbreak in a romantic sense?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

45 by m0llerz »»
29 minutes ago

» What Compliment Do You Hear Most Often?

ParisPlayboy01 - 7 hours ago

16 by m0llerz »»
45 minutes ago

» Cheese Nips and the tragedy of discontinued snacks

Nette - 12 hours ago

9 by traed »»
2 hours ago

» The very random (and possibly useless) knowledge thread ( 1 2 )

DigiCat - May 22

52 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

861 by zzz »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.