Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2021 4:46 AM
Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Dang... It was a pretty good movie. The tension I felt when the train crashed was amazing. Also, the scenes with Yumi were hilarious.
InfernaPumaApr 16, 2021 4:50 AM
Apr 16, 2021 2:33 PM

Sep 2011
I agree, Yumi was great fun haha. Mate-in-5 scene from Haneda was really cool too, and the tension between Akai and Sera/Mary, and Sera and Conan was gold (can't wait for these two to finally TALK things through in the series...).

Haibara was quite the MVP this time around. In contrast, Kogoro, as always, just stared into the void and pretended to do something HAHAHAHAH I swear he is the biggest goof of the series.

Typical Conan movie, full of action at the end :D Glad to have been able to see it on the cinema for the first time.
"If you wish so ardently for your life to disappear then give it to me!"
Apr 17, 2021 2:12 PM
Aug 2020
Wow!!!! This movie is insane!!!!! One of the best of the series
Apr 17, 2021 5:55 PM

Jun 2017
Can anyone talk about their movie-going experience and what is like to have a simultaneous release outside of Japan?
Apr 18, 2021 4:13 AM

Nov 2007
First of all, I recognized Suzumura-san's voice, but didn't realize Hirano-san's voice at all!!

xxmsxx said:
Can anyone talk about their movie-going experience and what is like to have a simultaneous release outside of Japan?
I've been watching Conan movies on the local theater in the past, but was usually late, so I think it's the same feeling as before, but I got my schedule rushed (didn't know when I should watch it, though I've decided to watch it today, which is 3rd day now) just because the premiere was earlier.

Edit: Aoyama-sensei's recent illustration hinting next year's movie?
https://nijimen.net/topics/170956
tsubasaloverApr 27, 2021 9:10 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 18, 2021 1:16 PM

Jun 2017
tsubasalover said:

During Aoyama Talk Day in January 2020 (last year before M24 was postponed), he said
will be the main characters. I don't think it has changed, but the preview clearly means that the
This means that the whole
will likely be featured. Or at least the emphasis will be around these people. If you think about it,
and Conan is the main character of the series, so they can't really
Apr 18, 2021 2:58 PM

Mar 2018
The train's accident made the whole cinema shake? Overall, not the best movie so far, but the action scenes made up for the lack of plot-thickness.

PD: Next film dedicated to Police Academy' story, can't wait to watch it on in cinemas agan!
A detective who uses his deductive powers to corner a suspect and then does nothing to stop them from committing suicide is no better than a murderer himself

- Kudo Shinichi
Apr 21, 2021 1:47 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been cleaned.

Please don't ask questions about where to watch something, as that will lead to others potentially posting illegal links. Also, please don't post illegal links.
Apr 21, 2021 7:42 AM

Jun 2017
tsubasalover said:

Edit: Aoyama-sensei's recent illustration hinting next year's movie?
https://nijimen.net/topics/170956

The main characters of M25 were revealed during the annual Aoyama Talk Day 2020, which took place in January 2020.
Apr 22, 2021 1:42 AM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
I have watched all Conan movies. In those movies, I love this one very well. (Still, my best is "Case Closed: The Phantom of Baker Street" though..) Akai family's story is interesting.

Myrga said:
I agree, Yumi was great fun haha.

Totally agree with this opinion. Hahaha.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 22, 2021 3:29 AM
Apr 2021
Apr 24, 2021 4:51 AM

Feb 2018
tzxsean said:

Apr 24, 2021 6:55 AM

Jul 2020
Finally, a Theater in my city is open, and wow, I really like the movie, With all the plot twist and everything, Yeah i can give it a 9/10, i have been a Detective Conan for Awile now
Apr 25, 2021 6:15 AM

Jul 2016
Love this movie, but sadly The Darkest Nightmare is still the best conan movie i've ever seen. Feels like there is a kind of plot armor by seeing Sera and Conan aren't hardly injured eventho the train is literally crashing and smashing the stadium. Also, one quick question arose, does this mean Sera already knew that Conan is shinichi if she heard conan answering Ran on shinichi phone?
War_DApr 25, 2021 6:36 AM

May 4, 2021 2:20 AM

Mar 2018
War_D said:
Love this movie, but sadly The Darkest Nightmare is still the best conan movie i've ever seen. Feels like there is a kind of plot armor by seeing Sera and Conan aren't hardly injured eventho the train is literally crashing and smashing the stadium. Also, one quick question arose, does this mean Sera already knew that Conan is shinichi if she heard conan answering Ran on shinichi phone?

Tbh, Sera has already figured Conan is Shinichi. At least it's been hi ted in the manga.
A detective who uses his deductive powers to corner a suspect and then does nothing to stop them from committing suicide is no better than a murderer himself

- Kudo Shinichi
May 6, 2021 4:33 AM
Aug 2019
I've seen the movie two days ago. I gotta say it was a nice movie. There are some things that I like and some don't.

Liked:

The FBI gets a major role in this.

Only one anime character in the movie who can clearly understand japanese while speaking in american.

Akai Shuichi's famous word.

Yumi's role was huge and her being hilarious.

Some scenes that has reference to other anime.

The music, story and writing.

The action scenes like the car chase, Akai fighting his own mother and sister, the train crash.

Some scenes that are really funny and hilarious.

Etc.

Disliked:

The movie's pacing felt really fast.

Inspector Megure and other officers have smaller roles (every movie and anime they have huge roles.)

Some scenes that are WTF moments.

The writing of the movie.

Shinichi only has a small role (which I find it unfair, the writers could at least give him more screentime.)

Mary Sera also has a small role considering that this movie is focused on her family.

The main theme wasn't played on the train scene.

Some scenes that are shown in the trailer didn't appeared in the movie.

Etc.

Movie 24 is a good and enjoyable movie and I was pretty shocked at the post credit scene that they announced that another movie was going to be released next year. So, overall. Movie 24 is a must watch movie of the year.

Detective Conan Movie 24: The Scarlet Bullet gets a "B+".

Final rating: 7/10.
Jun 2, 2021 2:48 PM

Nov 2017
I never watched the anime but I loved this movie!
Jun 2, 2021 6:52 PM

Jun 2017
Elyshion said:

How did you find out about the film? Was it showing in a theatre near you?
Jun 3, 2021 1:31 AM

Nov 2017
xxmsxx said:
Elyshion said:

How did you find out about the film? Was it showing in a theatre near you?

On a specialized site (Nautiljon), a bit like MAL and I watched at the cinema near my home.
Jun 3, 2021 7:31 AM

Jun 2017
Elyshion said:
On a specialized site (Nautiljon), a bit like MAL and I watched at the cinema near my home.

I go on there every now and then, mostly because my French is crap. But glad to see they did some marketing and it reached an audience. How was the showing? Did a lot of people show up? I heard they were giving out official art / merch, did you get one?
Jun 3, 2021 12:54 PM

Nov 2017
xxmsxx said:
I go on there every now and then, mostly because my French is crap. But glad to see they did some marketing and it reached an audience. How was the showing? Did a lot of people show up? I heard they were giving out official art / merch, did you get one?

So, a month ago after the announcement of Macron, the French president, he announced that cinema would open from mid-May. That's when Eurozoom announced. Personally, I looked in Original version subtitled in french but there is also in French version. After I watched earlier in the week, so there aren't many people. I don't have official art/merch.
Jun 6, 2021 12:44 PM

Oct 2015
Insanely nonsensical case, which is quite the 'standard Conan movie fare' as of now - I think it has been so for more than ten years, which is still a hard pill to swallow.
Not that I did not like it per say: my movie-going experience was undoubtedly decent - it is certainly tailor-made for the big screen. There is no denying that watching all of these characters reeling their usual one-liners out, taking also part in bombastic action sequences are quite fun on the face of it (especially considering how beautifully animated these moments were). Ironically enough, the theatrical environment was clearly my highlight.
It is essentially a fairly okay film for what it is - i.e. a 'Marvel-approach' to storytelling, putting in the forefront characters' interactions at the cost of a compelling narrative: a 'Blockbuster-ish rollercoaster' that I am sure people familiar with the show can appreciate.

The thing is, that is not what I want to see from this series: I am not interested in sub-par, badly-written detective narratives - nor am I particularly invested in the turpitudes of the Akai family. I am sorry, but I just find all the ploys used to make this family as unique as possible just boring: I get the theming, I really do (it is basically the one from the Rum arc, but with no sense of closure, which is quite problematic for what should be a self-contained story) - yet I am also so tired of it.
Case-wise, it was both easy to figure out and confusing at the same time: easy first, because the movie constantly repeated over and over again the hints - as if to ram the culprit(s)'s identity home; then, consufing because the whole film can be summarised as an 'info dump' narrative. Giving proper case information to the audience is one thing, running them into the ground with needless technological prattles is another entirely. Gosh were those parts incredibly tedious, pacing was all over the place as usual.

Of course, I am being very negative - which again does not mean I did not like it: it was fun for what it was, and I loved the fact that every character (besides Mary I suppose) had a decent role to play in this story: Haibara was especially great in this.
Heck, there were also parts that I found surprisingly compelling: the ending with Shuukichi was great - it is the kind of holmesian 'action, yet also deduction' sequence that I would really like to see more often in this 'filmic' series. However, I cannot lie that the 'whole package' greatly annoys me. It is a case of 'not being my Detective Conan' I suppose, and I am to be blamed for constantly expecting something else from these movies.

Though, I have to admit that I fail to understand how the recent Conan films can be so successful with the general public, while also being so 'non-casual friendly'. I get that 'Conan is the real deal' in Japan, but the truth is most Japanese people are not religiously following the manga, nor its main plot. In reality, they are mostly turning in to watch their saturday-evening detective show with the characters they like - in a 'Midsomer Murders' kind of way.
Sure, there is the typical 'recap intro', but this one did not really do a good job at presenting the Akai family (which is not too surprising, considering how this narrative is contrived to its core), nor did it make the effort to introduce Conan's devices - a bit of a shame given that the film relies heavily on them. I do not know if we should see this movie as canonical / relevant to the manga, but it is undeniable that the line separating these two media is getting blurrier and blurrier. I would not recommend watching it without really being up to date with the series, or the 'guest characters' of this film: it is not a particularly well-crafted intoduction to Aoyama's universe, nor was it thought / written as one. Better be safe than sorry.
BertKnotJul 3, 2021 2:40 AM
Nov 3, 2021 7:13 PM

Mar 2018
The movie was alright but worth watching nonetheless.
I like that it confirms many speculation in more direct way.

I know movies aren’t canon but Mary hatred towards the FBI might reappear in the anime. Is it because she’s blaming the FBI for Akai’s death?

Nov 8, 2021 8:07 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty good movie. Not the best one but still the one of the better conan movie. Visuals very great and story was pretty decent, got enough exposition (like quench concept) which I expect from good conan movie. Character were great as usual, akai's mom took the mvp.
Overall loved it.

Also did they just tease Police Academy Arc? Isn't that supposed to be a tv anime according to mal (not next movie)? I am confused.
AdampkNov 8, 2021 8:12 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 8, 2021 2:47 PM

Nov 2016
Genta was pretty great as a search dog xD

Man, yet another Conan movie from recent years that was a blast to watch. It featured the Akai family, a cool fight scene between Shuuichi and Sera and an out of control train. The latter was damn intense, especially the part when Conan tried to stop it. Visuals were just crazy and soundtrack not too bad either.

7/10 delivered what I expect from a Conan blockbuster

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 13, 2021 8:21 AM

Apr 2009
I recognized Suzu's voice immediately, but man, when he does crazy, he sounds so different lol.
Overall, an enteraining popcorn movie. The latest Conan movies are just like that now, high budget quality visually but with less and less substance, just like Michael Bay movies. But I always appreciate to see more of Sera, though her chasing after Shuichi but never really gets to meet him is getting a bit tiresome now.
Dec 7, 2021 10:19 AM

Sep 2020
Had higher expectations from this.
Three things especially annoyed me the most:-
1. Akai Shuichi didn't get any bizarre moment.
2. The case was quite halfhearted.
3. Ran's cringiness of yelling "Conan" all the time.

Must say I felt discontented.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 31, 2021 6:44 AM

Jan 2008
So, the movie is referencing the 2020 Olympics this time, huh. Makes sense, since it was originally meant to come out around the same time until it got delayed to early 2021.

This whole movie seemed pretty linear (pun intended) for the most part. It felt like not much happened at all until near the climax. Not the strongest of stories as far as the movies go, but still enjoyable nonetheless since it's Conan after all.

Maybe they intended The Scarlet Alibi compilation movie (compiled episodes taken from the main series) to be the bulk of the overall story, and this was just a continuation of that? Who knows.

Shukichi is not only a genius shogi player, but also an expert coordinator too apparently, with his quick memorization skill. Seems like he'd be suited to lead teams in operations, if he ever decides to switch careers. It's nice to see this other side of him, as he's only featured very seldomly in the main anime, with a few murder case deductions here and there.

I only wish this movie showed more of the Akai family together, like the trailer advertised it as. But all that felt pretty sparse to me, aside from the very brief Okiya Subaru vs Sera Masumi fight in the warehouse, and the brothers going on the drive/ teaming up in pursuit with a drunk Yumi napping in backseat, and finally in the after credits scene when he puts the Okiya Subaru disguise back on.

After the IRL driving montage during the ending credits, I liked the little silent exchange between Conan and Ai after he returns safely. But what made me like it, was the woman in the attendant uniform in the background, probably thinking there's something between the two, not noticing the detective boys badges in their hands as they're waving to one another.

Overall, not the greatest movie, but not bad either for a non-canon filler movie. It certainly gives me my Detective Conan fix until the next episode comes out. Something that bugs me though, is that Haneda Shukichi knows that his brother Akai Shuichi is a live and well, with both keeping in touch, but not his sister Sera or mother, who still think Akai is either dead or maybe still alive.

shiroi-ookami said:
Overall, an enteraining popcorn movie. The latest Conan movies are just like that now, high budget quality visually but with less and less substance, just like Michael Bay movies.

You've pretty much summed up my sentiments about the movie as a whole.
Estoy_GordoDec 31, 2021 6:47 AM
Jan 3, 2022 11:45 AM

Apr 2020
This movie is just not as good as many others.
It really does look like an average episode with better animation than usual. 7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jan 6, 2022 2:22 PM
Mar 2011
BertKnot said:
Case-wise, it was both easy to figure out and confusing at the same time: easy first, because the movie constantly repeated over and over again the hints - as if to ram the culprit(s)'s identity home
I have just finished the movie, but didn't notice any of the hints... and of course couldn't guess the culprit... It's always frustrating that for every Detective Conan case there are people that say that it was easy to guess and/or obvious...
Jan 21, 2022 10:56 PM

Jul 2016
Watched it, subtitles weren't so good, and felt rather underwhelming.
Feb 9, 2022 2:22 AM
Aug 2021
Unfortunately because of canon restriction the Akai family plot wasn't too interesting. Shukichi and Mary feel shoehorned in. Especially Shukichi where at the end the filmmakers were like "Oh right he hasn't done anything in this movie."
Feb 28, 2022 2:23 AM

Jul 2012
The story is disappointing, the subtitles were ass, but the experience overall was okay. It was fun near the end. I just think the mystery is the weakest out of all the movies. Very boring mystery, I didn't feel like I cared.
Sep 8, 2022 1:04 AM

Sep 2021
Commend for Hirano Aya's Engrish.

First part of the movie was boring. As usual, Conan movies have the long car chases, science thingy shits, and some soccer ball kicking shoes at the end.

Somehow entertaining but the old movies are still the best. Imo.
Dec 7, 2022 7:56 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Upset. I expected more from this movie, but the first 40 minutes are a waste explaining things that were too much in 10 minutes!

The action on the train is good, except for the ending, untenable, no matter how much Conan Edogawa is, we go from reality to mythology.

The best: The animation style.

5/10

kekeke
Jan 30, 2023 7:53 PM
Mar 2019
Getting a bit bored of the football saving the day in Movies.
No idea why they use English for no reason, didn't need it.
Just Good, no more.
Apr 6, 2023 6:42 AM

Mar 2011
The funny thing about Conan movies is you alway know what buildings, vehicles are going to be destroyed in the end :D.

I kind of liked it (middle part felt a little boring tho). But I gotta admit I liked it much more than the last movie. Especially seeing Akai (and his family), the FBI.
Also loved Akai pointing out the difference between them and Conan that for him even culprits don't deserve to die.

Although this thelepatic thing between Shinichi and Ran gets kind of old and I wish they'd come up with something new (says a hopleless romantic but it's a little repetitive).
Not my favorite movie but also not the worst and like I said there are aspects I really liked.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Apr 17, 2023 3:03 PM

Feb 2015
One of the better movies post Movie 13. The Akai family is pretty awesome. 
Apr 23, 2023 8:18 AM

Jun 2012
Ahh Shuuichi bein a badass as always. An unstoppable bullet that keeps going until it hits its target. What a shot.
Aug 2, 2023 9:42 PM

Jan 2016
The writer wants to keep showing off his science knowledge every movie and forgets to make an interesting plot. This movie could’ve been so much more if they didn’t waste the first 40 mins. 6/10, it was fine. I did like the animation and usual Akai badassery.

Oct 4, 2023 6:06 AM
Jul 2022
merasa kurang aja

More topics from this board

» Is it cannon?

lona_catee - Dec 17, 2021

4 by JurassicOtaku212 »»
Dec 19, 2021 5:19 AM

» Will this movie spoil the series for me?

InfinityDude88 - May 1, 2021

2 by mneav3 »»
Nov 3, 2021 6:02 PM

» Movie release?

RuneRem - Jun 26, 2021

12 by Jyonu »»
Nov 2, 2021 9:11 AM

» Can you watch this movie if you have only read the manga?

Puppyshipper - Jun 8, 2021

3 by YousefOtakupro »»
Jun 11, 2021 3:14 AM

» When is the international release?

RuneRem - Apr 18, 2021

21 by xxmsxx »»
Jun 2, 2021 12:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.