Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 10, 2021 3:46 PM

Mar 2009
I definitely understood what happened in this episode.
Apr 10, 2021 7:24 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I didn't find it as confusing as most people seem to. Boring for a while yes, but I still understood what was going on for the most part. I haven't played the game but my friend really likes it so maybe I'll end up playing it at some point. The first ep has me interested on it's own at least. Also the OP at the end is really good.

The animation itself actually isn't that bad, but it suffers by having low quality art. I'm surprised this is gonna be two cours and I hope they can keep up the quality of this episode for the whole show (if not improving, but that's unlikely).
Apr 11, 2021 12:45 AM
Nov 2020
The animation is so bad so I had to stop it and check the news to make sure I was not time traveled to 1990s. Still frames rule!
Especially seeing the Macron-1 floating in the air.

Then, when the girl jumped on a freaking Honda Dio scooter I had to check again I'm not in 1990s.

A lot of bad unnatural character behavior. A girl got hit by another girl on a street and notices a ring.
Does she try to give a shout to the owner?

Soon after another girl jumps into a room through the window and performs the anime cliche #132 "character end up laying prone on the tits of the other character" move.
Do they introduce themselves? No, they introduce the next day.

The new girl has a ring on her neck (pretty unusual) that looks exactly like the first ring.
Do they talk about it?

The plot in general is quite simple. There are good girls with the rings, bad girls with the rings, second hunt some special girls, first hunt second.
And there is "gigantic humanoid robot" floating in the air and something fills everything with light like a nuclear blast.
And there is some stuff about a sister although you cannot tell who is who.
Everything is understandable, no surprise here.

The girl falls from the roof and turn into some kind of Sailor moon.

That is it about Ep1.
maitawaApr 11, 2021 12:53 AM
Apr 11, 2021 1:56 AM
Dec 2018
Some what reminds me of Yuuki Yuuna.
Pretty OK premiere I won't expect they'll explain everything in the first episode but for this kind of anime will run for 24 episodes? Wow how bold J.C Staff
3/5 I'm going for 6 ep rule for this one
Apr 11, 2021 4:12 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
pichuscute said:

Also, fyi to everyone mentioning yuri. The original Blue Reflection had no yuri, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. While there might be some bait here or something, there's no good reason to really think so.

In the OG there is one sub-character that is only interested in young women. All her quests are about dates with girls. I do not remember her name, but she was always close to the classroom of Hinako.

And besides that Yuzu seems to be highly interested in Hina from the start on, this might also be interepreted as romantic interest. But we both know the
Apr 11, 2021 4:21 AM
Jan 2018
Cyanwasserstoff said:
pichuscute said:

Also, fyi to everyone mentioning yuri. The original Blue Reflection had no yuri, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. While there might be some bait here or something, there's no good reason to really think so.

In the OG there is one sub-character that is only interested in young women. All her quests are about dates with girls. I do not remember her name, but she was always close to the classroom of Hinako.

And besides that Yuzu seems to be highly interested in Hina from the start on, this might also be interepreted as romantic interest. But we both know the

The former situation doesn't involve anything beyond fan service and that character is turned down, which is a significant part of that side story.

Not sure what you're talking about involving Yuzu?
Apr 11, 2021 6:57 AM
KDE Plasma

Jun 2012
pichuscute said:

The former situation doesn't involve anything beyond fan service and that character is turned down, which is a significant part of that side story.

That does not change that she clearly has a thing for women. And there are a few moments where you need to support her. I have not played the game for a longer while, but I thought even when her friendship level increases to Hina, that she shows hints of slight attraction towards Hina, too.

pichuscute said:

Not sure what you're talking about involving Yuzu?

Apr 11, 2021 12:21 PM
Apr 2020
a meh episode but the op, sh/t goes hard whoever animated it, please breed me
Apr 11, 2021 1:31 PM

Jan 2020
Boring and generic with filthy cgi. Don't like this one but 24 episodes is a lot so hopefully it'll improve

Apr 11, 2021 2:25 PM
Jan 2012
You know what's annoying? That any action girl heavy series gets bombed with bad ratings yet insert generic sexist guy fest battle shounen are always loved.
Apr 11, 2021 7:19 PM
Apr 2021
Blue Reflection Ray is a very good anime, an anime with the theme of drama and magic which is good, hopefully there is a continuation of season 2
Apr 12, 2021 3:29 AM

Sep 2020
The -flies/citruses are back!?
Apr 12, 2021 7:48 AM
Apr 2012
z00nex said:
I hate the artstyle and character designs. I got bored watching this episode. It wouldn't count as dropping if I stop watching it now... right?

I usually count them to dropped if I watched more than ep1. I didn't even made it through this ep.
Apr 13, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2020
Well, I don't know.. It wasn't so impressive but definitely not bad either.

Yuri vibes are always a good thing.
Apr 13, 2021 7:46 PM
Nov 2020
I'll go against the grain and say that I actually enjoyed the artwork in this one. The soft, hazy colors create a dreamlike atmosphere for this anime. The girls are cute/pretty as well.

I don't know if I can get into the story, though.
Apr 14, 2021 1:36 AM

Apr 2017
Pretty good start for me. The artstyle is not as bad as people said, I kinda like it actually.
this episode somewhat reminds me of wixoss but with mahou shoujo instead of battle card game.

maitawa said:
The animation is so bad so I had to stop it and check the news to make sure I was not time traveled to 1990s. Still frames rule!
Especially seeing the Macron-1 floating in the air.

Yes, the animation is definitely can be better and the art style is not everyone's cup of tea.

maitawa said:
Then, when the girl jumped on a freaking Honda Dio scooter I had to check again I'm not in 1990s.

I'm not an expert of motorcyle, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a Japanese girl rides a japanese scooter whatever the model is.

maitawa said:
A lot of bad unnatural character behavior. A girl got hit by another girl on a street and notices a ring.
Does she try to give a shout to the owner?

Well, Ruka is socially awkward that she thinks she needs a book on how to connect with others. She can't even answer her classmates properly, so shouting to someone she doesn't even know is more unlikely.

maitawa said:
Soon after another girl jumps into a room through the window and performs the anime cliche #132 "character end up laying prone on the tits of the other character" move.
Do they introduce themselves? No, they introduce the next day.

I kinda tired to see these cliches as well, especially if it was for pure fan-service. But in this case, it was to shows that the rings resonate to one another for some reasons we don't know yet. And they sure introduced themselves that night since the next day they already know each other.

maitawa said:
The new girl has a ring on her neck (pretty unusual) that looks exactly like the first ring.
Do they talk about it?

Most likely because the ring is not hers, probably her sister's. same goes with Ruka, she probably just put the ring she found in her pocket all the time instead using it on her finger.
As why they don't talk about it, well once again Ruka is socially awkward and Hiori doesn't seem to know about Ruka's ring.

maitawa said:
The plot in general is quite simple. There are good girls with the rings, bad girls with the rings, second hunt some special girls, first hunt second.
And there is "gigantic humanoid robot" floating in the air and something fills everything with light like a nuclear blast.
And there is some stuff about a sister although you cannot tell who is who.
Everything is understandable, no surprise here.

It's more or less just as you described, that's all we know from the first episode.

maitawa said:
The girl falls from the roof and turn into some kind of Sailor moon.

That is it about Ep1.

that's called mahou shoujo, by looking at the poster I think it's kinda obvious that it is a show about mahou shoujo.

Tiavor said:
z00nex said:
I hate the artstyle and character designs. I got bored watching this episode. It wouldn't count as dropping if I stop watching it now... right?

I usually count them to dropped if I watched more than ep1. I didn't even made it through this ep.

I usually just delete the anime from my library, except when I think that I'll give it another try later.

ImaginBreaker said:
You know what's annoying? That any action girl heavy series gets bombed with bad ratings yet insert generic sexist guy fest battle shounen are always loved.

I think it's no surprise since shounen anime clearly have way bigger audience.
RaphxaviaApr 14, 2021 1:43 AM
Apr 14, 2021 6:36 AM
Jan 2021
Yeah.. that just happened... a lot of things happened...
Apr 15, 2021 12:20 PM

Apr 2015
Clearly not a great show but the strange dissonant atmosphere was kinda interesting. The colours are pretty at least.

The animation is terrible but it adds somewhat to the bizarre vibe.
Apr 15, 2021 4:54 PM
Mar 2014
It was kinda slow and I had trouble keeping track of the characters but I thought the evil magical girl aspect was interesting. There were some crazy jump cuts and weird camera angles that were remenecient of shaft's madoka. The art style seemed storybookish which is a fine style choice. I'm unimpressed but I'll continue watching.
Apr 25, 2021 8:10 AM

Aug 2014
im glad to see Yuzu and Lime again after what happen to them at the end of the game

hoping to see hinako make's an appearance in this adaptation since she was my favorite character from the game and hoping they can meet again with yuzu and lime after hinako losing both of them at the end of the game
freedom891Apr 25, 2021 7:09 PM
May 5, 2021 1:03 PM
May 2010
Finally watched the first episode and in all honesty its not that bad at all...
maybe its because many things happen at once and no one gets properly introduced except the two main girls.
Though I can forgive that if they do that later, definitely interested to see how the story will play out.
Jul 5, 2021 5:24 AM

Oct 2007
it's a combination of weird story, boring main character, and bad animation.

not sure how long I would last, but would give this a chance for 4 more episodes.

Jul 15, 2021 3:37 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Well that's a game adaptation... a kind of mahou shoujo one with the ring's power etc, maybe it can be entertaining, I hope.
Jul 17, 2021 3:35 PM
Apr 2014
character art being bland and introducing numerous characters in the first episode coupled with that bland character design makes it feel like everyone is a side character. art outside of the characters were fine, but trying to make everyone look generic/realistic was not the way to go imo. I guarantee you this show couldve pulled a full point higher easily just by make the characters more vibrant.
Aug 18, 2021 6:30 AM
Apr 2020
It’s refreshing to see Chisuga back, this time she doesn’t sing.
Sep 11, 2021 12:14 PM
Apr 2021
Imma just come out and say it. You have to continue on with Blue Reflection Ray. It is really good. And worth watching all 24 Episodes of. I honestly say come Episode 12 the Anime did a good job of usuing betrayal and character back stories. And the plot line really picked up as a whole. There is 2 types of people on the internet. 1 dropped the Anime before finding out if it gets good or not. And 2 People who didn't care for the Anime much continued onward with the Anime giving it another go ahead. And found out that they were wrong to be uninterested in the Anime at first. It's one of those Animes that you gotta watch more of to find out how good the Anime actually really is. I couldn't help but to read this one reply comment you got. It's true that haters of Sword Art Online. Even people uninterested in the Anime continued the 4+ seasons + the Movie and actually found out how good SAO really is. If a group of people can do that. And even go out of there way to pay money to go see SAO in movie theaters despite them being uninterested in the Anime. Than i say why not do that for Blue Reflection Ray? You like the video games it has for it. So why not continue it all 24 Episodes. Say you finished all 24 Episodes and still didn't like the Anime. Than you can say you at least took the time to prove the fans of BRR wrong. But people are never gonna stop recommending. And telling you that the Anime gets interesting. Storyline really picks up. There is more character development in the Anime. You will never know fully until you continue the Anime. I am not the only one saying that it is worth sticking with it until the very end for Blue Reflection Ray.

The current Episode i watches show Shino's dark back story. And how she and her twin sister was used for her mother's own gain. And beat and abuised. You are not gonna wanna miss the back story that happened in Episode 22. Which is one of the best and saddest Episodes in the Anime by far.

The Anime really is worth continuing it. I have convinced and recommended some of my friends to continue on with the BRR Anime when they were just bot interested in it as a whole. And than they came back to me thanking me for having them continue the Anime. And they said they have changed some of there unfair biased reviews and scores of the Anime on MAL to a better score/review of the Anime. So i am honestly saying the Anime is worth sticking around with. Episode 12 and onward is where the story really picks up the most. Blue Reflection Ray is by far one of the best Animes to ever come out this year.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU TO CONTINUE AND FINISH AT LEAST THE FIRST SEASON OF THE ANIME. IT IS NOT GONNA HURT YOU AT ALL TO AT LEAST CONTINUE AND FINISH IT. 24 EPISODES IS NOT THAT LONG COMPARED TO HOW LONG VIDEO GAMES CAN GET LONG. SO PLEASE DO CONTINUE THE ANIME. AND SEE IF THE HYPE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN HARPING YOU OVER THE ANIME IS ACTUALLY WORTH IT OR NOT.
Sep 19, 2021 11:08 AM
Apr 2021
FMmatron said:
I wasn't a fan of the tone shifts that came with the transitions, but surprisingly decent enough to try at least a few more episodes.

I can't wait to play the 2nd Blue Reflection game. I do however recommend you to check out the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. It has 24 Episodes all worth watching. Plus there are some returning characters appearing in the 2nd game like Hirahara Hiori. And some other characters. I highly recommend checking out the Anime from start to finish without dropping it at all. Like later on in the Anime you get to see Shino's past. And what made her turn evil like she did. It's honestly worth watching until the end. I hope the evil Reflectors have a chance to return for the 2nd game. They would make for great fights and boss fights in the 2nd game. Not just monsters and creatures. But actual humans you can fight like they did in the Anime. Please do watch the Anime. And please do finish it. And not drop it. The Anime picks up. And gets very interesting. I like the character designs, story and art style. It is very unique.
Sep 19, 2021 11:09 AM
Apr 2021
Lanz said:
Clearly not a great show but the strange dissonant atmosphere was kinda interesting. The colours are pretty at least.

The animation is terrible but it adds somewhat to the bizarre vibe.

The Animation is very beautiful. I can't wait to play the 2nd Blue Reflection game. I do however recommend you to check out the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. It has 24 Episodes all worth watching. Plus there are some returning characters appearing in the 2nd game like Hirahara Hiori. And some other characters. I highly recommend checking out the Anime from start to finish without dropping it at all. Like later on in the Anime you get to see Shino's past. And what made her turn evil like she did. It's honestly worth watching until the end. I hope the evil Reflectors have a chance to return for the 2nd game. They would make for great fights and boss fights in the 2nd game. Not just monsters and creatures. But actual humans you can fight like they did in the Anime. Please do watch the Anime. And please do finish it. And not drop it. The Anime picks up. And gets very interesting. I like the character designs, story and art style. It is very unique.
Mar 6, 2022 3:07 PM
Dec 2017
DEATHMAGNUS said:
This had same as ASSAULT LILY ring type transformation... Which i love it.

The fighting ground art and design was so awesome.

Also it has SHOUJO AI vibes in it.

Yeah the series is known for its shoujo ai inspired feels to it

May 29, 2022 6:22 AM

Feb 2015
This whole thing is confusing as heck...

Is this a spin off? I'm reading that this is a prelude to Second Light but due to what I wrote in the above spoiler and apart from the...

...at the first few mins of the anime, is this even related to the first game?

I'm hoping all this gets explained sooner than later because this first episode was one confusing mess, not a good start.
Jan 16, 2023 5:26 PM
Jan 2023
You should watch Blue Reflection Ray.
The Anime is an important part of the series. And deserves to be watched. Everything that lead up to the events that take place in Second Light was cause of the evil Reflectors that Hiori, Ruka, Niina and the others fought against. While they tried attacking the Commons that Yuzu and Lime and the other were trying to stop from happening. You find out about the Ash and everything that happens in the 2nd game was caused by the events that happened in the Ray Anime. Hinako Shirai blamed herself in Second Light for what happened after she defeated the Sephirot. When it was caused by the evil reflectors from the Anime. I believe and feel like the 1st game and the Anime ties into Second Light pretty well. Plus returning characters from the 1st game and Anime. Knowing there back stories ahead of time leads to the feels of the 2nd game, when going back through the Heartscapes to regain there memories. Not something any fan should ever miss out on.

The fights are epic in the Anime,
Music is really beautiful to listen to.
Plus the characters and storyline is really good.
The Anime does pick up. And explains the story really well, that leads towards the events that happen in the 2nd game.
Uta Komagawa and Shino Mizusaki are great Villains in the Anime. And seeing how it all played out was worth it.

There is some scenes in the Blue Reflection Second Light video game that talk about things that happened in the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. And the 1st game. Like these scenes when Mio Hirahara was telling Ao Hoshizaki about that one time when she tried to make the world better for her little sister Hiori Hirahara. And how she let Shino Mizusaki control her. Blue Reflector is Hiori, while her sister became a red Reflector. Blue Ring, red rings. Hinako Shirai mentions in the 2nd game about the Separoth she fought. And for what happened afterwards with Yuzu and Lime. And how she blamed.herself, when it wasn't Hinako's fault. I honestly feel like whenever someone wants to skip the Anime and 1st game and go straight to the Blue Reflection Second Light game, they miss out on a lot of backstory with returning characters from the Anime. Reminder, the game is about regaining lost memories. So your gonna stumble upon parts of the game with Mio, Hiori, Uta Komagawa and some other characters. I honestly feel like watching Blue Reflection Ray before playing the 2nd game adds to the feel of the game, knowing back stories for the characters. I honestly do not understand why anyone would wanna skip out on knowing about the character's back stories. And what lead them to that point from the 1st game to the Anime and the 2nd game. I for one am a Blue Reflection fan. And i for one fo not wanna miss out on important details in the series. Especially when it comes to characters i really like/love a lot in the series.

You should watch and continue the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. And play the 1st Blue Reflection game first. I did watch the Ray Anime before finishing the 1st game. There is a scene in Blue Reflection Tie game where Hiori Hirahara saw her big sis Mio Hirahara passed out. And it went to a flashback scene of Hiori going to the catholic church to save her big sis. And Uta came and tried to stop her. The scene in the game was animated a little differently, cause the game is made by Gust Koei Tecmo. While the Anime made by J.C. Staff. That scene in the game is straight out of the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. It's not a spoiler i'd say. And it does not spoil anything from the game or Anime. But it's important to watch the Anime. Cause some flashback scenes with Hiori and Mio are from the Anime. Just animated differently.
Apr 1, 2023 5:04 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
Wtf is this, kinda wierd but still watchable at least in first episode
Jul 6, 2023 11:23 PM
Jan 2023
Blue Reflection Ray review. A fascinating show. The surface story is a well designed and plotted magical girl show where the protagonists try to protect other girls' negative feelings from being "consumed" by the antagonists for their own use.

But the show subverts anime tropes to create a sense of foreboding, and way the show plays with the characters' perception of reality makes the viewer question everything they see. The theme of hundreds of girls and women living with social anxiety, depression, imposter syndrome and other mental health problems is a dark commentary on the mores and structures in modern society.

An excellent Anime that is worth bing watching. It has 24 Episodes. + 24 OVA Mini Chibi Episodes all worth watching.

Storyline: 9/10
Art style: 10/10
Music: 9/10
Fight scenes: 9/10
Overall Enjoyment: 9/10

This is one of the best Magical Girl Anime and Video games I have ever watched and played. Some of the characters in the franchise. Hiori Hirahara, Mio Hirahara, Yuzu & Lime Shijō Yuzuki, Shijō Raimu, Ruka Hanari, Shino Mizusaki, Uta Kamogawa, Nina Yamada, Saiki Yuri, Yukiko Takaoka. Gust Koei Tecmo DMM Pictures Games and Anime. Reflector battles.Blue Reflection Ray is a really good Anime. You should watch it if you haven't yet. The music is beautiful, characters are lovable, gameplay is really good. Also the storyline is very enjoyable. I recommend em to everyone who is either into Anime. Or just wants a fun Magical Girl Anime to watch. The transformations are similar to Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica in a way. Some of the art style reminds me of Yuki Yuna is a Hero. Like the color schemes in some scenarios. Ruka Hanari looks similar to Sailor Mars Rei Heino in a way. This has one of the best Anime OST BGM soundtracks I have ever heard hands down. If you have not played Blue Reflection, Tie/Second or even watched the Blue Reflection Ray Anime. Than your missing out. This series is quite enjoyable and lovable. Blue Reflection Ray that takes place between the first and second game that is a must watch. Really enjoyed it a lot. Blue Reflection Sword other the girl who dances in illusions. Blue Reflection Tie.

I love Mel Kishida's art style. It's very pretty. The Anime as a whole is perfect. It may not be the cream of the crop, but it's still really fun. And really enjoyable.
Jul 10, 2023 4:02 PM
Jul 2023
Blue Reflection Ray is the best Anime ever.
Apr 28, 1:11 AM
Jun 2022
Dropped Once , Back To Give It A Few More Episodes.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2021

28 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2021

36 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 28, 1:34 AM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2021

35 by yhagni »»
Oct 19, 2023 3:10 AM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2021

21 by WolfTK01 »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:51 PM

Poll: » Blue Reflection Ray Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2021

49 by WolfTK01 »»
Jul 10, 2023 3:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.