Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2020 10:12 AM
Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn it was good. (have'nt watched the original Altered carbon series)
The animation was to way too good.
wish it could have been longer.
Mar 19, 2020 12:27 PM
Jun 2019
the background was really nice to look at.....thats all there was.
Mar 19, 2020 3:01 PM

May 2010
It didn't look too bad and I like the setting, however it feels quite inconsistent with the series and the plot wasn't all that interesting in my opinion.
Mar 19, 2020 7:43 PM
Dec 2018
I really enjoyed the animation and it was really pleasing to look at. There are a few holes in the story timeline, and the plot isn't really anything to write home about, but I enjoyed it. It's a solid 6 maybe 7 out of 10. It's something to watch if you wanna pass time.
animefreek19Mar 19, 2020 7:53 PM
Mar 19, 2020 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
Just watched this on NETFLIX because i just saw the trailer after watching the movie Sicario...then the movie it self was a bit edgy, and a bit too much YAKUZA with a mash of futuristic digital consciousness.
But the actions scenes were badass!
plot is...meh...
7/10. - feels like POLYGON CGI.
matias067Mar 19, 2020 11:54 PM

Mar 20, 2020 1:35 AM
Aug 2018
There are some part not dubbed in english, although I think is good as film, I'll give a 7
Mar 20, 2020 4:12 AM
Jan 2020
i watched the original series and absolutely loved it, probably one of my favourite tv shows ever. however I’m extremely disappointed by this movie, it didn’t really follow on from the plot and some of the parts like the sister bit just didn’t make much sense and were a bit random. The action scenes were probably the best part but that’s all lol I wasn’t really a fan of the animation. I’m so sad I was so excited for this:(
Mar 20, 2020 10:16 AM

May 2018
That was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 20, 2020 11:25 PM

May 2012
I've o ly recently watched the original two live action seasons of altered carbon. When they released a trailer I was pretty amazed that they would take this route especially with the people behind GITS.

Though I do have one big remark and that is that this felth and looked like a very long yet impressive intro scene for a game.

The CGI was than also very game like rather than anime like. Which didn't make it bad. Jt also not great either.

In general I liked this short but quite intense movie based on the live action series and would realy like a game in these or even more realistic neotoky like environment. This universe is so vast that you pretty much can go any direction with.

All in all a nice watch I must say, and I hope they continue to expand in whatever media form they can take this universe and characters
Mar 21, 2020 10:59 PM

Mar 2008
The animation was certainly impressive, and I found it a very enjoyable watch overall. But as a huge fan of the live action TV series, I have a few questions for anyone else who knows the story well

WARNING: Major spoilers for the live action TV show to follow:
Mar 22, 2020 11:03 AM

Nov 2017
Wow, one of the best animation movies I've ever seen!
I haven't seen the live action tv series so I prepared by watching these 2 summaries of s1 and s2:
https://youtu.be/gxdQyM-5lv4
https://youtu.be/A-YHrdVxgsI
Great stuff.

While watching this I probably had a total of over 20 eyegasms when there were shots of the cyberpunk city or the futuristic environment. Props to the art team. And the animation team. The fights were insane! It was literally an experience for me. So good! Now for the story, If I had to judge it overall it wasn't that great. But it was barely 1 hour of screentime so I guess for that time it's decent. It would've been nice if the locations were a bit more diverse rather than just that yakuza headquarters building.

That was a nice(?) concluding ending. I do reaaally feel bad for Holly though. She's had it rough especially there at the end. Her long lost parents finally in front of her again and boom gone with a grim of a devil... I felt her emotions. But that Shinji guy got karma'd and all is well now. Ogai is a boss and your best friend. What an awesome dude.

Now apparently there are more missions queued for him so it's not the real end. And seeing as the number of episodes are still unknown here on the MAL database, there's more to come!?

plz @ me
Mar 23, 2020 12:13 AM

Jul 2012
What an absolute fucking disservice to the incredible books. I am sick to my stomach at this monstrosity of a show. For shame netflix, for shame.
Mar 23, 2020 12:27 AM

Nov 2019
Have you seen Regenesis? Then congratulations; you know what to expect here. For either good or ill.

Going in expecting something similar to the related Altered Carbon TV series will likely only leave you disappointed.
Mar 27, 2020 5:28 AM
Oct 2018
Everything was fine except the plot was fairly simple, is it worth a watch ? well yes if you love action and violence

I give it a 7 for being what it is
Mar 28, 2020 5:25 PM
Nov 2018
i enjoyed it, thankfully its not low fps. i think it looks pretty good and the story is fine. i never seen the tv show, so i didn't feel lost
Apr 7, 2020 7:51 PM

Sep 2014
FunkyMonkey said:
The animation was certainly impressive, and I found it a very enjoyable watch overall. But as a huge fan of the live action TV series, I have a few questions for anyone else who knows the story well

WARNING: Major spoilers for the live action TV show to follow:

joexmdqApr 7, 2020 8:06 PM
Nothing important. Keep scrolling.
Apr 20, 2020 1:19 PM
Jul 2017
Dang, I thought this movie is easily 7-8 overall rating score. Same thing with IMDB. Some film journalists hate this spin off too for some reasons. I don't get this at all. It's indeed a simple plot, but it has top notch production & the story deliver in such entertaining way too ...
Apr 25, 2020 3:39 AM

Aug 2016
What a disgrace to the live action tv series. Visuals and fight scenes are okay, but the story and characters are just dull.
A cliché story with no character development... this feels more like a (bad) filler episode.
Rating: 3/10

Info: It is a prequel to the live action tv series.
AzazinApr 25, 2020 3:48 AM
Ego = 1 / Knowledge | "More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego." Albert Einstein
My ratings:
May 1, 2020 1:19 AM
Feb 2009
The art was good and that's pretty much it. The series is fantastic and well thought out while this was like a poor OVA made by a 3rd party (it pretty much was). I say that as a fan of a lot of Dai Satou's works; what a strange production.

4/10
May 30, 2020 1:38 PM

Oct 2010
Seems like the most fans of the book are shitting on anything related to Netflix series. When will people learn to accept that adaptations will never be like the books and enjoy as what it is?

To be honest, this is one of the best 3d animations I've seen to date, and I usually dislike this sort of thing. The choreography and the camera angles of the fights deserve an award. The overall story is nice but it fails to connect you and feel for the characters. Maybe if it was a series and had more time to show more interactions between Holly and Tak they wouldn't feel like a one night meet.

In any case, it was a fun watch, mostly for the visuals and fights. I would not mind to see more Altered Carbon anime stories in the future though.
Jun 20, 2020 8:29 PM

Nov 2011
Why is this listed as an ONA and not a Movie? A Whisker Away is on Netflix but it is listed as a movie.
Jun 21, 2020 8:38 AM

Nov 2019
Klonoa7H said:
Why is this listed as an ONA and not a Movie? A Whisker Away is on Netflix but it is listed as a movie.

That entry was scheduled to be shown in theaters; it only switched to an online release to avoid corona-related issues.
Jun 21, 2020 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Offkorn said:
Klonoa7H said:

That entry was scheduled to be shown in theaters; it only switched to an online release to avoid corona-related issues.

By that logic, Netflix productions such as Da 5 Bloods or Klaus despite having big budgets and are essentially theatrical releases, are TV movies. I think it'd be a good idea to classify Altered Carbon Resleeved as a movie for some consistency... oh wait, consistency and MAL don't mix together.
Jun 21, 2020 5:41 PM

Nov 2019
Klonoa7H said:
By that logic, Netflix productions such as Da 5 Bloods or Klaus despite having big budgets and are essentially theatrical releases, are TV movies. I think it'd be a good idea to classify Altered Carbon Resleeved as a movie for some consistency... oh wait, consistency and MAL don't mix together.

There's a large difference between 'essentially' a theater release, and a literal theater release that was rescheduled to be online only at the last minute.

You've also got the consistency argument backward: The classification for this entry is fine while the classification for Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu is what needs to be updated.
Jun 25, 2020 11:56 PM

Jan 2009
im an anime only and this is very good story

so sleeves are replacement body parts for the digital mind eh not bad and ye mind uploading might be the future too

but they do not have cloud storage for backup of their digital minds though? lol anyway i enjoyed this for a short film

the action is great too
Jun 26, 2020 3:28 AM

Mar 2016
Bro what? 6.65? Are you kidding me? This is probably the best CGI movie I've seen coming out of Japan (haven't watched the Gantz movie). It's moves so damn well. It's clean.
As for the story, it is so much better than the original mid series. F*cking finally we get some cyberpunk sh*t that wasn't already beaten to death or doesn't sh*t itself midway through.
Need a sequel ASAP!

8/10
azertz99Jun 26, 2020 3:32 AM
Jun 27, 2020 3:22 AM

Nov 2019
tzarye14 said:
Bro what? 6.65? Are you kidding me? This is probably the best CGI movie I've seen coming out of Japan (haven't watched the Gantz movie). It's moves so damn well. It's clean.

Guess you haven't seen Gantz:0 or Batman Ninja either.

Regardless, the animation quality is not an issue (and I haven't seen anyone claim it was). The issue is literally everything else:

- Art direction / character design
- Character behavior
- Plot developments
- General theme
- Ninjas

None of it rises above average at best. The solid animation is the only thing that theoretically makes this movie worth anyone's time to watch.
Jun 27, 2020 6:42 AM

Mar 2016
Offkorn said:
tzarye14 said:

Guess you haven't seen Gantz:0 or Batman Ninja either.

Regardless, the animation quality is not an issue (and I haven't seen anyone claim it was). The issue is literally everything else:

- Art direction / character design
- Character behavior
- Plot developments
- General theme
- Ninjas

None of it rises above average at best. The solid animation is the only thing that theoretically makes this movie worth anyone's time to watch.
I said I haven't seen the Gantz movie lmao. I've seen clips of it and some clips from Batman Ninja. Wasn't really impressed with Batman Ninja.
I don't have problem with art direction and character design. I think the movie looks great from beginning to end.
Have you seen the original series? Season 1 of Altered Carbon on Netflix, I mean.
Jun 27, 2020 4:51 PM

Nov 2019
tzarye14 said:
I said I haven't seen the Gantz movie lmao.

You're right. I somehow misread that as BLAME!.

No, I have no idea how that happened.

tzarye14 said:
Have you seen the original series? Season 1 of Altered Carbon on Netflix, I mean.

Yes, both seasons. Season 1 is fantastic, season 2 is... very strange and very different from season 1.

Neither is anything like this.
Aug 22, 2020 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
Haven't seen the live action series but this seems pretty cool with some good cgi, really gives me Blade runner and Ghost in the shell vibes. Plot wasn't really outstanding but still decent.

Futuristic world (with topless giant hologram strippers dancing in public ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)), digitalized backup of people, ninjas with cybernetic suits, Yakuza, family issues, hologram butler with an insane defence system and heck even firework, what more can you ask of a good movie.

Oct 7, 2020 3:08 PM

Jun 2017
The fighting scenes were marvelous and so were the visual effects! I also couldn't resist to imagine what if the future could attain "sleeves" like that. I'm always open to possibilities no matter how outrageous it is as long as it involves science and not myth. 🤣

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Jan 2, 2023 9:53 PM

Feb 2018
Obviously the animation isn't that good, but the story wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be either.
Mainly watched it since I saw it was related to Altered Carbon and on Netflix.
May 11, 8:43 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
As an idea it is quite interesting, as a film it is very simple with a loose and quite predictable plot.
If it had been developed more and there had been a deeper plot it would have been more attractive, since the mix of genres, action, blood, yakuza, cyberpunk, future... are always very striking.

The plot of the two brothers who meet again was unnecessary, but it raises a good idea, people who are family members cannot be recognized, just as a body is not a reference to be able to see the years you have lived.
Where is the catch of this new society? Another error in the plot, we have to put black points on technology.

5/10

kekeke

More topics from this board

» Anticipation

removed-user - Feb 22, 2020

6 by ScrewFiction »»
May 8, 2022 9:48 AM

» First 18+ anime to be dubbed in Hindi language

FrontierAK - Mar 19, 2020

4 by FrontierAK »»
Jul 10, 2020 10:30 PM

» How I feel

ITzRecipe - Mar 11, 2020

3 by ITzRecipe »»
Mar 25, 2020 5:18 PM

» Trailer

azertz99 - Mar 9, 2020

0 by azertz99 »»
Mar 9, 2020 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.