Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 1, 2019 7:32 AM

Apr 2011
FMmatron said:
yhunata said:

What are you talking about? The pace One Piece goes at, which is never more than 1 chapter per episode, it will never catch up. The manga is at 938 right now, this episode adapted less than half of 903.

The manga is taking breaks far more often...

It's generally 1 week a month. Toei doesn't even do a full chapter per episode even without the half episode recap, so no. It's not gonna catch up.
Apr 1, 2019 7:44 AM

Nov 2016
yhunata said:
FMmatron said:

The manga is taking breaks far more often...

It's generally 1 week a month. Toei doesn't even do a full chapter per episode even without the half episode recap, so no. It's not gonna catch up.

Those breaks per month add up and we have about 40 chapters per year, while the anime rarely takes a break. They usually do a chapter per episode and even counting the occasions where they don't even adapt a full chapter, it still be only a matter of time before they would've catched up if it weren't for additional filler material.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2019 12:55 PM
Mar 2019
it was accepted not that bad and also not that good
Apr 1, 2019 1:21 PM

Apr 2013
That must be the one scene in anime I watched the most... and I'm always astouned how Toei manages to make it look worse than 20 years ago. Looks like we will get more flashbacks in the coming episodes, yay...
Apr 1, 2019 2:03 PM

May 2014
Can't stop loving a ep. with Shanks in it. And I'll be damn, he got jacked after the marineford war. He was very thin and flimsy back in the original anime. Some of the changes was nice with Luffy eating the DF and the blood spill when the sea monster ate Shanks hand, but imo he should have made the turn instead of going straight to Luffy. Anyways, seeing Shanks with a smile is really the best. He knows best that Luffy have really grown into a fine pirate. He must really be excited to meet him. I wish we can have more screentime of him and that Oda doesn't do a dick move of killing him off before we see more of him. Should in fact have more specials of him and whitebeard + 1st pirate king cause they have really got less screentime. Very little in fact.
Apr 1, 2019 7:28 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, Nami got Zeus now!
Lmao, Sanji beating Zoro's bounty.

Luffy is being called the Fifth Emperor of the Sea ... prestigious title!
Apr 1, 2019 10:24 PM
Jan 2019
Loved the episode.
( was kinda spoiled of what was gonna be announced tho.....)
I was still excited by the news regardless!

The look back on where Luffy started to where he is now <3
I honestly forgot how Luffy got his scar XD ...or this was the first time seeing it.....I cant rmb.
And being reminded that NOW we know Shanks was using Haki against the Sea King <3. Damn I love this anime!

Sanji's reaction to his new Bounty was hilarious!
a bit of a throwback when their bounties changed after they saved Robin from CP-9.

Cant wait to see Vivi again!!!
Apr 2, 2019 12:13 AM

Jan 2013
Abysmal episode.
Apr 3, 2019 5:26 PM

Mar 2017
This episode being half filler sucked. I ain't reading manga I tried with Jojo since part 5 didn't have a anime, but now it does. I prefer anime over manga unless the manga can have voice acting, sound effects, and music. Manga being black and white doesn't bother me though.
Apr 4, 2019 12:48 PM

Feb 2015
It was telled how Luffy met Shanks and when Luffy left. Luffy woke up in the ship, he found this germa gadget number 3 and it's revealed that Zeus stayed with Nami, Carrot received the newspaper, Sanji's reward went up and Luffy was declared the fifth Yonkou. In Gyojin Island, Neptune is discussing his assistance to Riverie. The news got everywhere, incluiding Shanks.

For a moment I thought it was filler and in some way, it was. Luffy and Shanks's story has been told lot of times so, it was boring. In the other hand, the story progressed to Riverie arc.
Apr 12, 2019 9:08 AM

Jul 2013
Lol Luffy's now an unofficial emperor of the sea, tbh I wasn't expecting that because I didn't consider the fact that he has a massive fleet under his command. We'll see how this goes I guess. But whatabout Jimbei?
Apr 12, 2019 3:39 PM

Dec 2016
I'm so hyped it seems like something big is going to happen, I cant wait to watch next episode and also the moment they will meet other straw hats again,The only problem as others mentioned was recaps for me, I don't dislike recaps but it makes episode too short :(
May 22, 2019 11:38 PM
Jun 2015
Damn. Luffy is named the Fifth Emperor of the sea.
May 25, 2019 1:25 PM

Jun 2015
I really liked this episode. A lot of good memories and some funny moments. 5/5.

Jun 2, 2019 2:03 AM

Mar 2015
One of those coming down episodes.. what to do, we do need transition.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 18, 2019 1:34 AM

Mar 2016
Ah man... The first half of the ep was that same backstory between Luffy and Shanks, it's reanimated! But I'd rather not havemy time wasted, still... I'd rather they really minimize their budget now so that the Wano arc will get a huge boost in visual quality. The manga for Wano arc is extremely detailed with drawings.

I always love reactions to new bounties eps. Seeing how the world increasingly treats the Strawhats as a more dangerous group really brings that satisfying feeling. Especially when the anime covers it, gotta love those shocked screaming by the ppl who saw the news about Strawhats who ofc is the one that leads the entire assassination plan for Big Mom. Cool story Morgans!
ShadowkillZJun 18, 2019 1:37 AM
Jan 23, 2020 4:09 PM
Jul 2018
I think I already have seen enough of Luffy's flashback with Shanks from a few episodes and the various specials. I can see why they would do recaps for Luffy, and his acquaintances for the looks of things. They need to refresh the viewer and bring them up to date since not all fans watch the specials or remember an episode that happened a few years back.

Now Luffy is the fifth emperor of the sea? What? Aren't they overestimating Luffy here? The mastermind behind the attempted assassination? Unyielding charisma and IQ? Ah Morgans, I think you got the wrong idea here lol! Sure Luffy, his crew, and his temporary allies deserve some praise but the fifth emperor? A bit of a stretch here.

Makino has a baby now? Wonder who is the lucky guy.
May 22, 2020 6:44 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, the fifth Emperor of the Sea! Luffy, let's go! What a half-assed article that though, I must say.

I wonder who Makino's husband is...

I'm looking forward to seeing Vivi and more of Shirahoshi next episode!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 15, 2020 8:10 AM

Jun 2016
Admittedly, the art and animation of the re-done backstory wasn't very good. If it was consistently excellent and in the new style I would say, great. But it didn't look very good most of the time. So to that, it was unnecessary and largely disappointing even. That said, we finally got Luffy stabbing his face animated within the series rather than a special which has to amount to something assuming I'm not forgetting another time it has been, and it was pretty freaking cool to see the contrast in art styles during the detailed frames. My favourite was the “I'm saying those aren't for threatening people” as, no matter the scale of what Shanks does, that will probably always be my favourite moment of his.

Besides that there was some crew shenanigans. Firstly, we witnessed Sanji’s raid suit fall out of Luffy’s pocket which felt like something we could dig into. The first place my mind goes to is, why? We can assume that the raid suit automatically fits your body so there's a chance that it was made before Sanji was determined as a failure. But even if so, afterwards I would presume they would either throw it out or work it into something more valuable rather than keeping it around. Therefore, I can't help but imagine it's more likely that they made him the suit, likely in the time that they were off screen before they saved the day. I could be misreading the situation, but regardless of the whys, you can read extra far into the act itself and see it as a gesture of Sanji’s equal standing within the family now. He is worthy of wearing that suit in their eyes and to give it to Sanji acknowledges that. Or maybe you could assume it was a mean prank like Sanji did. I'm not sure what to make of it but it felt important. It is also presumably a power up that will be used in the future.

The most important part of this episode was the newspaper. There seemed to be a warning about Whitebeard's supposed son on the back, the new warlord, as was there an article on Punk Hazard and Bonney. The main article however was on the events at Whole Cake. It was perhaps premature journalistic embellishment, but nonetheless it stated that Luffy is the fifth emperor. Regardless if this was a premature assessment, one can easily understand why. Our boy commands a huge fleet, takes entire islands under his safety, has alliances with powerful groups and kingdoms all around the globe, has connections to Ace, Sabo, and Dragon, and picks fights with the emperor's themselves while holding his ground and defeating even their best men. It is very possible if not fact that Luffy is the weakest of the emperors, but one can argue he still deserves to hold that title. I mostly feel bad for Bege as this journalist asshole assumed Luffy was in charge of everything when we have to give so much of the credit to Bege, he wasn't simply Luffy’s cronie, he was the necessary brains of the assassination plot!! Years of his life went into this, didn’t it?!

I had heard that Crocodile, one of my favorites, would get another appearance reacting to Luffy’s feats. Given his history of being depicted from behind for a single frame ever since post-Marineford, I came in expecting that and expecting to love it anyways. That was not the case, this was the most in-depth look at Crocodile since he and Daz decided to move into the New World together! My man had numerous shadowy figures beside him giving a hint for what he has been up to, and with red curtains, it almost made me think he was in Doflamingo’s former room but I imagine that is a coincidence. Either way the room looked familiar and I wonder if we have seen it before. Most importantly however, he seemed to crack a smile and there was a shimmer of hope in his eyes. I don't think we've ever seen him make that expression before, it was as if he was saying ‘atta boy’ in his head, and if the reading that he has grown to respect Luffy and has been inspired by him is correct, then Luffy’s victory is further affirmation that Crocodile can follow his true feelings and dreams too. :)
Sep 18, 2020 4:41 AM

Mar 2020
Say whatever you will, I enjoyed the Shanks flashback dude, I was geeking out when I saw Shanks and I couldn't wait to hear that LUFFY has indeed started being called the Fifth Emperor!
Jun 15, 2021 5:09 AM

Apr 2021
just want to point out that in the whole series, it was only today taht the first chapter of the manga (luffy getting his scar) was animated lmfao
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jun 15, 2021 5:21 AM

Nov 2016
606cypherine said:
just want to point out that in the whole series, it was only today taht the first chapter of the manga (luffy getting his scar) was animated lmfao

That's a nice trivia right there

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 18, 2021 9:51 AM

Sep 2015
HOLY COW NAMI HAS ZEUS NOW?! AM I DREAMING?! This can't get any better can it!??!

Sanji aquired the Raid suit gaaaaahh!! And 330 Million Beri on his wanted poster !!

Brook with the Poneglyphs !

The fish man island are wearing strawhats !

The strawhats are winning too much! Way too much! That was so enjoyable that I am going to go out of my way to buy figurines for this series!

Special shoutout to : Kajo_Senpai69
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Aug 25, 2021 2:51 PM

Jun 2019
That was awesome.

"The fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges" My boy Morgans did a great job with his headlines.
Sep 6, 2021 4:59 AM

Aug 2021
Damnnnn 5th Emperor of the sea

I love how shanks himself is shown less than 10 times apart from flashbacks in the series but still give chills whenever we see him
Sep 24, 2021 6:38 AM
May 2012
"The fifth Emperor of the Sea Emerges"

Luffy is now an Emperor?!
Dec 28, 2021 11:25 AM

May 2016
I'm looking forward to Sanji wearing his Raid Suit when it's most convenient to do so. I'm pretty damn sure that Reiju's the one who slipped it in there and had it commissioned in their laboratories in the first place since anyone else wouldn't even bother going that far for him.

I was already hyped about his bounty dramatically increasing thanks to his current exploits but this was far beyond my expectations. Luffy being unofficially considered as the 5th Emperor of the Sea was a top-tier "holy shit" moment and the craziest part about it is that he deserved being called that 100%!

I need more of Shanks in the present but I guess that the Reverie will have to do for now.

Apr 13, 2022 12:09 PM

Feb 2014
ahhh bloody recap but yesss Luffy the 5th emperor, I like the ring of thatttt
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Apr 21, 2022 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
I never get tired of watching Luffy's past story. It's always so cool to see how he has come a long way and evolved. And named the fifth emperor of the sea??? That's big ass news!!! He's getting close to Shanks now, I just know he's proud of him. But this means more people will try to get in Luffy's way to try to take his title (ofc that won't happen) but I'm so excited for the future episodes. And we get to see Coby next episode. He also came a long way, so proud of him. Also, fuck Akuinu 🖕
"No matter how hard things get, only use your strength to protect" - Mitsuya Takashi
May 22, 2022 3:06 PM

Dec 2012
Poor Sanji, they just can't get his Wanted Poster right.

With Luffy being dubbed an Emperor and the large focus on Shanks recap, I wonder if their reunion is close at hand. Meeting once again as fellow Emperors would be way too intense, although they'd probably just yuck it up carefree.
Jun 7, 2022 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
half of the episode was flashback but the rest of the episode was just amazing now Luffy is the fifth emperor of the sea this is so awesome
removed-userAug 13, 2022 5:32 AM
Aug 4, 2022 7:28 AM

Jan 2021
This is sick Luffy is now the Fifth Emperor of the sea
Aug 20, 2022 12:28 PM

Dec 2018
don't worry bros this episode was super hype; i want to see the ace reunion. i liked it actually.
Nov 25, 2022 9:29 AM
Jan 2022
it was pog and made me very hard
Dec 2, 2022 3:53 PM
Jul 2017
one piece is definitely worth your time
Mar 2, 2023 3:05 AM
Aug 2021
NO WAY LUFFY IS A YONKO NOW OH MY DAYS AMAZING🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Has there ever been 5 before like respect. Bro is actually going to become The King of Pirates too bad I have a feeling once he actually finds the One Piece and becomes king he will start coughing up blood and die.
May 3, 2023 8:07 PM
Aug 2021
5th Emperor of the sea Monkey D Luffy !!!
Jul 27, 2023 9:46 PM
Oct 2020
I kinda thought Sanji would try out the Germa tech but it also made sense that he didn't want to
Mar 11, 5:15 AM
Oct 2019
Nostalgia moment for the first half.
It's nice to rewatch that again.

Can't wait to see Zoro reaction about Sanji Bounty lol

I'm excited for the Reverie Arc.

5th Emperor really? LMAO
davidyodo24Mar 11, 5:24 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1106 Discussion

IzanaSolos - 5 hours ago

12 by KingBaller06 »»
40 minutes ago

Poll: » Whose Conqueror's Haki sound is the best

Sannin_No_Zoro - Today

6 by Yeshaiah2015yesh »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

59 by MegamiRem »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1104 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 11

56 by MegamiRem »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1103 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 4

47 by MegamiRem »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.