Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think even some other artists can do characters justice, even if they aren't original creators?

New
Mar 20, 2019 2:04 AM
May 2018
I just found out new fanart pic of Haman Karn from Gundam franchise, being drawn by artist NateDeCock, and thought it looks rather good.

https://myanimelist.net/character/1421/Haman_Karn

NateDeCock's version:

Which made me wonder, can even non-original creators handle well characters, or even entire franchises, even if they aren't the ones who invented them?

I remember few times on various forums, a lot of folks talking about something like it is the biggest trash ever, such as anime only material, or some spin-offs, simply because it didn't came from the one who originally envisioned it, even though on its own it, at very least, wasn't THAT bad.

One of the best examples would be Dragon Ball GT; for year I have been hearing that it is so terrible, like the worst thing in history, like if you put every war that happened since the dawn of humanity, and compared it with Dragon Ball GT, the latter's existence would be a bigger crime.

And then I watched few years ago, and thought it was rather fun, entertaining adventure, with interesting cast, god level seiyu, and some very cool new stuff introduced into the franchise.

Anyway, personally, while I will always appreciate what original creators did simply by inventing something, I do think that even other people can do good job with older titles, or something like that, maybe even breath in some fresh air.

If I'm not mistaken, when it comes to famous Ghost in the Shell franchise, director Mamoru Oshi seems even more credited for its success, than crator Masamune Shirow, or how Fate/Zero is arguably the most appreciated entry in Nasuverse...

Enjoy in thread.
Mar 20, 2019 9:31 AM

Feb 2015
....is this a fucking joke? How does that look appealing in any way? >:(

I prefer my sexy Haman fanart in a little more tasteful way, like this: (NSFW obviously) https://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/557816#search=Haman_Karn
Mar 20, 2019 9:40 AM

Mar 2015
Kadono did great at redeeming Fugo in Purple Haze Feedback after Araki threw him out of the show feelsbad
Mar 20, 2019 9:57 AM

Apr 2017
I was going to say "ford you watch Fate/Zero ?" before I finished reading.
Basically yeah, I do think so.
Also people may not agree but I loved Apocrypha and Jeanne is one of my favourite characters because of how she was portrayed.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Mar 20, 2019 10:59 AM

Dec 2017
Well tbh I don't like nate de cock's version. Just look at her tits are those supposed to be bags. I mean other artists can do justice to the characters but original is always best imo.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Mar 20, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
...JESUS CHRIST WHAT EVEN IS THIS HAHAHAHAHA

I think the problem is that you're probably looking into the wrong tags.

No, scratch that, you're totally looking into the wrong tags.
Mar 20, 2019 11:05 AM

Jan 2019
Every artist has unique ways to bring their creations to life. I adore fan art because of this. It's always nice to see a new style pressed onto our beloved characters, and a lot of artists do them justice.
“What are you scared of? Nothing good has ever come from fear.” – Kawabuchi Sentarou
Mar 20, 2019 11:20 AM
Oct 2018
What the hell did I just witness? good art is def opinion based holy ass
Mar 20, 2019 1:31 PM

Apr 2017
So you want more thick looking characters? You shouldn’t base an original look of fan art that’s way too excessive.
Mar 20, 2019 1:44 PM

May 2016
Good lord....definitely prefer the original artist. But I remember reading shounen jump years ago and there was one popular manga artist who decided to draw all of the popular main characters. Looked pretty dope, helped me develop my style a little bit more. Nowadays people get popular off of fanart. Pretty sure thats how the artist of steven universe got picked up by cartoon network
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Mar 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2018
If it's Yusuke Murata, then ofc it's possible, that man is the god of manga.
Mar 20, 2019 1:49 PM

Jul 2016
Well Touhou is a franchise built on its fan creations because Zun can't really draw that well at all. Almost every drawing of Touhou you find is fan art.

btw that NateDeCock drawing is weird af.
Mar 20, 2019 3:25 PM

Nov 2018
tbh Im not a big fan of the oversized style, the colorization seems on point though

but I like this style better

Mar 21, 2019 12:18 AM

May 2009
Of course I do.

There are even some cases where I'm unsatisfied with the original artwork and prefer one or more fanartists' interpretations.

Shibakee said:
Every artist has unique ways to bring their creations to life. I adore fan art because of this. It's always nice to see a new style pressed onto our beloved characters, and a lot of artists do them justice.
Yeah, even when I dislike an artist's style or specific work, I generally still appreciate that they drew a character I like, because fanart gives us interesting new perspectives on our favorite characters.

Low_res_Hibiki said:
Is this secretly a fetish thread?
My high school psych teacher did claim that everything people did was ultimately a means toward doing the dirty, but I'm not convinced.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 21, 2019 12:25 AM

Aug 2018
thanks for ruining a character from a franchise i very much enjoyed. in NO WAY is that appealing, sag for tits won't be any useful in gundam.
propaganda machine
Mar 21, 2019 12:34 AM

Jan 2018
Funniest fucking post I've ever seen. Bravo sir.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 21, 2019 2:03 AM

Aug 2018
Low_res_Hibiki said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
My high school psych teacher did claim that everything people did was ultimately a means toward doing the dirty, but I'm not convinced.

If he actually believed that, does that mean that he was admitting that he wanted to shag you all??

teaching students psychology = having sexual desires towards students,
of course.
propaganda machine
Mar 21, 2019 2:16 AM

May 2009
Low_res_Hibiki said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

If he actually believed that, does that mean that he was admitting that he wanted to shag you all??
Unlikely, since IIRC he talked about how hot his wife was, not to mention he was married and had at least one child.

He just enjoyed riling up the class. Such lines weren't called hot takes back then, but you can think of them as such.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 21, 2019 2:21 AM

May 2014
Yes, there's a lot of great artists out there. I like the fan art to at least resemble the characters though. Giving characters huge boobs when they don't have them is not my kind of thing.
Mar 21, 2019 2:24 AM

Oct 2008
I'm under the impression that whether you draw doujinshi, fan art or you copy another artist's style, there are amazing people doing it. These amazing people can replace the original creator with enough effort.

I mean anime like
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru

High school dxd

Terra formars

All had changed their style in either the 2nd season or in the 4th (dxd). I didn't necessarily like the new style, but it shows that people make compromises when a good series is in question.
Mar 21, 2019 2:37 AM
Aug 2017
Yes, definitely. Sometimes fanarts are even better than the original art work to be honest. But...that drawing...what is that...
Mar 21, 2019 2:50 AM

Nov 2011
I see, you are the main audience of all those weird out of proportion body doujins.

Mar 21, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2016
So, joke answer or serious answer.... errr.... let's go serious.

Yes, and here's some proof. Whenever a famous manga author reaches a big anniversary it's pretty common for a bunch of other authors to make drawings of that author's characters.
ChilliePeppersMar 21, 2019 3:07 AM
Mar 23, 2019 3:27 PM

Apr 2010
I think yes. They just need a permission (If they're good or not is another question)

May 31, 2019 12:58 PM
May 2018
I also love NTSW artist Mogudan, who is a big fan of Rei Ayanami from Evangelion series.

Amazing work.
May 31, 2019 1:02 PM

Nov 2011
not in general, but some artists can do a pretty good job at drawing other artist's characters.
this is reflected in the anthology comics.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 31, 2019 6:05 PM

Apr 2014
yes, since idk who the original artists are or pay attention to
for all i know its the same
i just learned today that the director and some staff changed between snk s1 and s2 but to me everything was the same

More topics from this board

» Would you watch AI anime? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Yesterday

76 by FanofAction »»
2 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

95 by Kenzolo-folk »»
12 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps. ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 23

56 by dreamingneon »»
12 minutes ago

» Favorite Sports Anime ?

tchitchouan - May 25

33 by dreamingneon »»
19 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

17 by dreamingneon »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.