Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 4, 2018 10:22 AM
Sep 2016
The Final Chapters have 69 episodes, so why does MAL say it has 61? It's kinda confusing. I don't think it's a recent bug either, since it's been like that for a while.
May 7, 2018 11:19 PM
Jan 2016
There is a difference in the number of episodes aired in Japan (61) and the number aired internationally and on DVD (69).
May 12, 2018 3:35 PM

Jul 2007
Could we maybe get the listing updated, or at least get a separate entry for the remaining episodes?
Dec 9, 2018 9:43 PM
Feb 2018
Yeah this kinda really bothers me too smh
Jan 9, 2019 5:30 AM
Aug 2018
CHANGE IT ASAP PLS!
May 21, 2019 5:11 PM
Jan 2012
I'm just gonna add this random comment, while expecting one day MAL will fix this.
Jul 23, 2019 8:27 AM
Aug 2014
its been a while and still has not fixed
Jul 27, 2019 5:26 AM
Dec 2014
this is really bugging me, it can't be that difficult for MAL to make a separate page, and considering this one of the most popular series ever it's crazy how that hasn't happened yet
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2019 8:45 PM

May 2012
NoMainer said:
this is really bugging me, it can't be that difficult for MAL to make a separate page, and considering this one of the most popular series ever it's crazy how that hasn't happened yet

I assume the English/International release doesn't count as a valid entree for mal's database, but I guess that's just my thought.

I do wonder which 8 episodes are then left out in the Japanese version?
Oct 15, 2019 8:51 PM
Mar 2011
the cpoy wit issues with the music
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 15, 2020 3:40 AM

Jul 2007
RafaelDeJongh said:
NoMainer said:

I do wonder which 8 episodes are then left out in the Japanese version?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16190&page=25
Jul 20, 2020 10:17 AM

Nov 2007
I was wondering why the first 10 eps have this disgusting amount of filler.... Guess this is why. Hope this is only at the first eps
Jun 6, 2021 1:46 AM
Oct 2011
This may seem like a weird question, but I am assuming the extra episodes still have a Japanese language track. Is that correct?
Jun 6, 2021 10:12 PM
Aug 2015
Yes all 69 episodes have Japanese audio available and are included in the US Blu-ray releases
Mar 4, 2022 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by this.
May 21, 2022 2:30 AM
Feb 2021
I have been wondering about it for 10-15 minutes and then I found this thread finally the confusion is gone..
Sep 21, 2023 11:16 AM

Nov 2012
defo makes the discussions a mess with different people commenting on different eps depending on what version they watched. Also didn't seen any improtu 62-69 international version ep discussion threads either.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 27, 2023 11:54 AM

Jun 2011
Wait, why would the western version get 8 more episodes?
Nov 27, 2023 12:20 PM

Jan 2017
Frosty said:

Originally , this Season of Kai was not supposed to air in Japan.

The Original Kai Series was cancelled due to financial issue (part of it because of Yamamoto's score) , but a lot of international distributors (especially Funimation) still had very high demand from its public for the continuation of it. So they somehow convinced the Toei to do it.

During the production , Fuji TV lost their prime slot because of the cancellation of Toriko , so they asked the Toei to give them this new Season of Kai to them too. Problem : They had less slots than episode... So they just removed some of them.

To be honest , it's quite surprising that those episodes never were released for Japan.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 2, 2023 4:20 AM

Jun 2011
Reply to Alexioos95
Frosty said:

Originally , this Season of Kai was not supposed to air in Japan.

The Original Kai Series was cancelled due to financial issue (part of it because of Yamamoto's score) , but a lot of international distributors (especially Funimation) still had very high demand from its public for the continuation of it. So they somehow convinced the Toei to do it.

During the production , Fuji TV lost their prime slot because of the cancellation of Toriko , so they asked the Toei to give them this new Season of Kai to them too. Problem : They had less slots than episode... So they just removed some of them.

To be honest , it's quite surprising that those episodes never were released for Japan.
@Alexioos95 I find it really stupid, because it's near-impossible to have proper episode discussions for this series, since I was watching the dub. I truly don't know what MAL could do to remedy the situation besides having two different pages for The Final Chapters. Has any other anime ever had this situation, where the Japanese version is shorter than the Western version? I know we've had the reverse with Yu-Gi-Oh GX/5D's, but still.

Well, overall, I never watched the original Buu saga, so this was all new to me (even after having read the manga). I didn't care much for Gotenks, especially since his ghost powers are never explained, but I loved the various Buu forms and fusion overall. It would've been cool to see Gogeta appear, or see what a Goku Gohan fusion would've been like, but I absolutely love Videl! She earned her way to being my fave female character, though I wish she was relevant in Super. Wonder if Pan will ever get proper dedication.

I loved Vegeta becoming humble, and reforming himself as a protector and Goku's friend. I love a good villain redemption arc. So many hilarious lines in the saga, but Buu saying "Produce!!" over and over was the best. I don't really care much for Uub, but he doesn't appear for long. I was a bit disappointed Vegeta didn't become SSJ3 in the final Buu fight, but it's not like he's had training to do so. I know a lot of people feel DBZ should've ended after Cell, but I think this saga had a lots of positives.

Lastly, having the people of Earth completely ignore any attempt of saving themselves by raising their hands is just too realistic, especially after COVID. They couldn't be bothered to do the most simplest thing ever, due to being lazy fucks. Had to be the inspiration for that movie, Don't Look Up.

With that, I really want to see more Videl, but oh well. Chi Chi's voice felt so off throughout the whole saga.
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 AM

Jan 2017
Frosty said:
I find it really stupid, because it's near-impossible to have proper episode discussions for this series, since I was watching the dub.

Well , the threads are all created by users , and the huge majority of them were by peoples that live in Japan , and watched the series on Japanese TV during its airing... They can't do anything about you watching the dub , which got extra episodes.

Frosty said:
I truly don't know what MAL could do to remedy the situation besides having two different pages for The Final Chapters.

You can always create the threads for these episodes yourself , so that future watchers can also go on it (if they actually search...).
MAL follows the Japanese standard anyway , so you are the outliers , here.

Frosty said:
Has any other anime ever had this situation, where the Japanese version is shorter than the Western version? I know we've had the reverse with Yu-Gi-Oh GX/5D's, but still.

Not that i'm aware of...
There is cases like Detective Conan tho , where some of the episodes were splitted into multiple ones for some of the international releases.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 61 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 27, 2015

27 by wildhood »»
Mar 27, 5:57 AM

» Videl Flying

Rijupalika - Jul 8, 2022

11 by Tarekchahattou »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:35 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2014

98 by Frosty »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:52 AM

» Why the hate for Kai?

xfero - Apr 12, 2014

28 by Tarekchahattou »»
Nov 2, 2023 7:40 PM

» Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball Kai? Which do you think is best and why?

EmperorDemonGava - Apr 23, 2015

20 by Biisoo »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.