Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 29, 2018 5:27 PM

May 2010
Overlord lives and dies by its characters, and while the main cast are certainly fun and quirky, their sheer power outweighs their interest if given too much at once. That's why the series focuses on more than just them, by drilling down to the less powerful, and therefore more threatened, side characters!

What's your opinion on the focus between the main characters and all the side characters, especially with season 2?
CroswyndMar 29, 2018 5:46 PM
Mar 29, 2018 5:31 PM

Jan 2018
I haven't seen Season 2, but in Season 1 i don't really feel the characters are 'growing', especially the MC..

Is it different in Season 2 or just pretty much the same??

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 29, 2018 5:35 PM

Jun 2015
Meh, I find it a poorly executed narrative. Threats to OP characters feel non-existent, while side characters are too insignificant for you to care about them.
Mar 29, 2018 5:38 PM

Jun 2017
Ehhhh, Overlord's characters are honestly one of it's biggest flaws. They're a bit too troupey/generic to have any worthwhile investment.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Mar 29, 2018 5:46 PM

May 2010
Dave_Adrian said:
I haven't seen Season 2, but in Season 1 i don't really feel the characters are 'growing', especially the MC..

The beauty of the show is that the characters are overpowered and have very few threats. That's why it takes the time to highlight lower leveled characters, similar to how One-Punch Man uses Genos and the rest of the heroes for the more intimate and threatening moments, while not letting Saitama (and in Overlord's case, Momonga) be everywhere at once, despite their tremendous power.

So I'd say it's much the same.
Mar 29, 2018 5:47 PM

Apr 2017
I'll never fathom why people like this show
Mar 29, 2018 5:50 PM

May 2010
Spades said:
I'll never fathom why people like this show

Same reason people enjoy No Game No Life, One-Punch Man, or any other power fantasy: because it's fun to watch.

It's okay to dislike things, though. I don't like certain anime, either.
Mar 29, 2018 5:55 PM

Jan 2018
Croswynd said:
Dave_Adrian said:

The beauty of the show is that the characters are overpowered and have very few threats. That's why it takes the time to highlight lower leveled characters, similar to how One-Punch Man uses Genos and the rest of the heroes for the more intimate and threatening moments, while not letting Saitama (and in Overlord's case, Momonga) be everywhere at once, despite their tremendous power.

So I'd say it's much the same.

Well..
When you put it like that, it sounds engaging.. need to watch Season 2 first tho in order to be sure

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Mar 29, 2018 6:02 PM

Jan 2016
Oh pls, not again. Stop bringing another youtube video...
Mar 29, 2018 6:03 PM

May 2010
Detective1412 said:
Oh pls, not again. Stop bringing another youtube video...

The fun thing about this thread is that you don't have to watch the video to join in on the discussion, since I condensed what I said in it into the question here. The video is just for people who want to hear what I have to say in a more verbal format, bud.
Mar 29, 2018 6:04 PM

May 2014
Overlord doesn't work though, especially s2 which I couldn't stomach more than 5 episodes of. Those lizard things, I swear...
Mar 29, 2018 6:35 PM

Oct 2015
so
a generic battle shounen,
naruhodo
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
Mar 29, 2018 8:33 PM

Dec 2009
I just find it incredibly boring. Lots of extra characters added throughout when honestly I would enjoy it more if it focused more on the main characters.

Mar 29, 2018 8:36 PM

Aug 2013
Overlord sucks. Ainz is just a gary stu and the characters are just there to suck his dick (metaphorically).
Mar 29, 2018 9:35 PM

Nov 2013
I didn't watch the youtube video, but I agree completely with you OP.
While the EIGHT main characters are certainly fun and quirky, their sheer power outweighs their interest if given too much at once.
DrGeroCreation said:
the characters are just there to suck his dick (metaphorically).

With some of the characters it's not just metaphorically. LOL
Albedo is literally just there to be his sex slave for fan service.
It's true that he doesn't really have a dick for her to suck, but I think it can be made with magic.
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Mar 30, 2018 12:39 AM
Dec 2014
Good world building adds on to an established base. Overlord kind of ditched it's main story to have a bunch of side quest. Only at the end of the ark does the mc show up to remind you that yes you are watching the same show. If side stories had more interaction with mc, I could handle watch from their perspective.
Mar 30, 2018 1:12 AM

Aug 2015
I haven't watched 2s but in first season I hated the fact that MC supposed to be villain but he behaves like a typical rpg gamer.
Mar 30, 2018 2:56 AM
Oct 2008
Nah... I have "experienced" whole s1 and there is literally everything wrong in that show. But I know people who like it for video game setting only and it seems they dont need any more reasons to enjoy shows like this one (Grimgar, Log Horizon etc.) huh. I am a gamer too more or less but I dont feel any need of giving "fabricated meaning" to the hundreds or more like thousands of hours spent on video games except I truly enjoy them. But "overthinking" MMO(RPG)s especially the uncompetitive ones ah come on.
Mar 30, 2018 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
It's basically the same way that one punch man work. It's not a bad way to write a story I guess
Mar 30, 2018 3:32 AM

Feb 2018
While I do enjoy the anime after I read the light novel everything in the anime just felt striped of details witch make the world much more intriguing and really rushed so for everyone who enjoyed the anime and doesn't have a problem with reading just check out the novels.
Mar 30, 2018 3:48 AM
Jan 2016
A bunch of boring, weak characters I don't give a damn about. No, it does NOT work.
For example, that whole lizard arc was seriously tedious and unnecessary. It didn't actually progress the story at all, it felt like a filler.
Mar 30, 2018 3:54 AM

May 2010
Askorti said:
A bunch of boring, weak characters I don't give a damn about. No, it does NOT work.
For example, that whole lizard arc was seriously tedious and unnecessary. It didn't actually progress the story at all, it felt like a filler.

Just because there wasn’t a huge, drastic change doesn’t mean the story wasn’t progressed.

For example, the experiment

Also, Cocyutus

These are only a few of the things that the lizard arc presented that I find fascinating.
Mar 30, 2018 4:08 AM
Jun 2017
*Why Overlord S2 works so well.

I'm not gonna watch that video because if I was that intrested, I would've already looked it up myself. I will reply to your comments however.

Overlord S1 was great. The characters were amazing and the story was exciting. As far as S2 goes, it's underwhelming. I think it's mainly because we were baited (people who enjoyed S1 more than 2). They drew us in with a ton of epic moments and goofy but intresting characters. The interactions between the Ainz and his group were great.

Now we have S2. It switched gears wayyyyyy to fast. Now suddenly it's focusing on characters we've never met and entire episodes are dedicated to these characters. Who cares about Climb!? He's lame! He's not the reason I watch Overlord. Yet, he has more screentime than Ainz!? Come on.

And Brain! What a stupid name (just like Climb). While I like him significantly more than Climb, I still like him less than 90% of the other characters.

My point is, Overlord lost what I loved most about it. Ainz and his party.

Edit: Oh! One more thing. The Lizard Man arc! What a stupid fucking arc. What was it, like 4 or 5 episodes of nothing but Lizard Man BS? It was horrible. The majority of bad animation was in that arc as well.

If I seem pissed it's just because I really, really liked S1.
Adi-BuddhaMar 30, 2018 4:11 AM
Mar 30, 2018 4:10 AM

Mar 2015
I've yet to start S2 but going by S1, I could not care less about anyone not related to Nazarick. If anything, I wanted more focus on the OP guardians.

My opinion didn't really change after reading the first three novels either. Yeah, I learned more about Khajit and Brain, but when they're so insignificant compared to Ainz Ooal Gown's awesomeness I can only see them as fodder flies that don't even deserve their (less than stellar) backstories. If anything, I appreciate the anime more now for leaving them out.
DoubleMangekyoApr 7, 2018 5:02 PM
Mar 30, 2018 4:25 AM

Mar 2018
Season 1 was pretty good imo. I don't read the LN but season 2 repeats the circle of:
introduce badass looking characters >>> build a story around them >>> one shot them >>> introduce MORE badass looking characters >>> repeat. It'd be great if the show focuses more on so-called World Items and hints about the mastermind who was controlling Shalltear. If season 3 comes and repeats the same circle, I'd probably drop it.

Mar 30, 2018 4:32 AM

Feb 2010
I agree, S2 of Overlord seems much more fun than the first one because of stuff like those lizard people. Definitely an improvement over S1.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 30, 2018 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
Season 2 is worse than the first one.
I came for the ridiculously op "villain MC", not for the stock fantasy world that they're trying to push in this season.
Mar 30, 2018 4:58 AM
Jan 2018
Overlord II has some severe pacing issues. And a waste of at least 5 episodes for an extremely tacked on story arc about lizards. Not to mention that the format that it's using now is essentially just keeping the viewer in the dark about the MC's intentions and the overall causality of the story events. The show just goes, timelapse, this is happening now, timelapse, this is happening now, this is this now. The viewer has nothing to internalize and can only accept everything that happens. If this is part of the building up of some climax that is to come, they have basically done two seasons of exposition with no actual plot in sight, just stuff that happens and we just need to keep up. It doesn't have the episodic short story template or anything, so it is working towards something in an overarching story arc. It just feels like the causality of the events happen off screen and have no justification other than the show just moving on to the next scene. I will probably have to rewatch the first season and the current one again to confirm this but this is the impression I have of Overlord II at the moment. I find it odd that you found the characterization to be strong in this show, especially because you say that you value exploring a story through characters that are... well... strongly characterized. I know this is an opinion and that is something you said at the beginning of the video, so I am not trying to convince you or tell you that you are wrong. I think the similarities between One Punch Man and Overlord that you are referring to are just that, similarities, no different from two shows in the same genre. The difference in delivery and execution however, is night and day. That is something I would put more emphasis on because no matter what the subtextual "character arcs" may be, their execution in Overlord pale in comparison. This is my opinion, of course, and I have watched OPM twice and Overlord only once. Maybe I'll change my mind about it the second time through. I mean, you seem to have had less of a problem with the things that bothered me so maybe I approached it wrong. But we'll see...

Edit 1: Also, I think the perspective changes are extremely risky and can be detrimental to the continuity of the story.
DodgeOffsetMar 30, 2018 5:09 AM
Mar 30, 2018 5:17 AM

May 2010
DodgeOffset said:
Overlord II has some severe pacing issues. And a waste of at least 5 episodes for an extremely tacked on story arc about lizards. Not to mention that the format that it's using now is essentially just keeping the viewer in the dark about the MC's intentions and the overall causality of the story events. The show just goes, timelapse, this is happening now, timelapse, this is happening now, this is this now. The viewer has nothing to internalize and can only accept everything that happens. If this is part of the building up of some climax that is to come, they have basically done two seasons of exposition with no actual plot in sight, just stuff that happens and we just need to keep up. It doesn't have the episodic short story template or anything, so it is working towards something in an overarching story arc. It just feels like the causality of the events happen off screen and have no justification other than the show just moving on to the next scene. I will probably have to rewatch the first season and the current one again to confirm this but this is the impression I have of Overlord II at the moment. I find it odd that you found the characterization to be strong in this show, especially because you say that you value exploring a story through characters that are... well... strongly characterized. I know this is an opinion and that is something you said at the beginning of the video, so I am not trying to convince you or tell you that you are wrong. I think the similarities between One Punch Man and Overlord that you are referring to are just that, similarities, no different from two shows in the same genre. The difference in delivery and execution however, is night and day. That is something I would put more emphasis on because no matter what the subtextual "character arcs" may be, their execution in Overlord pale in comparison. This is my opinion, of course, and I have watched OPM twice and Overlord only once. Maybe I'll change my mind about it the second time through. I mean, you seem to have had less of a problem with the things that bothered me so maybe I approached it wrong. But we'll see...

Edit 1: Also, I think the perspective changes are extremely risky and can be detrimental to the continuity of the story.

You have an admirably respectful attitude about opinions and I salute your self reflection and willingness to think about perspectives you don’t share. Overlord II definitely isn’t perfect, but I find it well worth watching, personally. You have a lot of valid complaints, though.
Mar 30, 2018 5:56 AM
Jan 2018
Croswynd said:
DodgeOffset said:

You have an admirably respectful attitude about opinions and I salute your self reflection and willingness to think about perspectives you don’t share. Overlord II definitely isn’t perfect, but I find it well worth watching, personally. You have a lot of valid complaints, though.

No problem. It's just discourse. I'll keep an eye out for future vids you post.
Mar 30, 2018 6:08 AM

Mar 2011
This thread has been moved to the correct series board

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

331 by MrList »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

242 by jesuscris01 »»
Jun 16, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

370 by HayiaSarah »»
Jun 13, 8:23 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2015

240 by MrList »»
Jun 13, 4:44 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

433 by BlackSummoner826 »»
May 30, 10:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.