Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2018 12:02 PM

Nov 2014
Not to perpetuate the meme train, but I was wondering why everyone was talking about Overlord in the Anime Discussion board. I looked at the seasonal chart and was taken aback to find Overlord II as the 2nd most popular series. Personally, I've had no interest in watching the series and dismissed it as standard fare for the edgy kiddies who want to scoff at shows like Bleach, Naruto, and of course SAO. With this I realized I'm completely out of tune with the zeitgeist. I barely ever watch seasonal shows, and when I do, they're normally much lower on the charts, so nobody is talking about them.

That all said, the real questions I want to ask with this thread are these:
1) How in-tune do you think you are with the consensus regarding seasonal shows?
2) Do you feel like you have to watch the most popular new shows to engage in MAL conversation?
3) Does all the attention going towards the most popular shows ruin the chances for interesting conversation about other seasonal shows,
If so, how could this be fixed?
CureEtudeJan 12, 2018 12:38 PM
Jan 12, 2018 12:05 PM

Jul 2015
1. I don't pay attention at all. I watch what I want when I want.
2. 1.
3. If there was more interesting conversation, the threads about Overlord would die like all threads eventually do.
Jan 12, 2018 12:05 PM
Jan 2016
Why should I care about what others are watching? I watch what seems interesting to me, whether others watch it or not is really none of my business.
1. There's no consensus here, since there are as many opinions as there are people voicing them.
2. No, I watch what I'm interested in.
3. You want to fix people watching what they find enjoyable? What are we going to do, mandatory groups for watching "classics"? Maybe "Good taste workshops"?

I don't even see how any of this is an issue..
Jan 12, 2018 12:06 PM

Jun 2015
I mean you're making a thread about it.

I don't really keep up with seasonals or seasonal discussions.

Jan 12, 2018 12:08 PM

Sep 2015
I'm confused, do people actually care about Overlord?
mhmm. Overlord was good for me. I do care.
Jan 12, 2018 12:09 PM

Jun 2017
I don't care about that meme and you shouldn't either buddy .

Jan 12, 2018 12:16 PM

Sep 2015
PsychoticDave said:
1. I don't pay attention at all. I watch what I want when I want.
2. 1.
3. If there was more interesting conversation, the threads about Overlord would die like all threads eventually do.

I couldn't have said it better myself
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 12, 2018 12:18 PM

Oct 2015
I'm just doing my own stuff here. I'm barely interested in Overlord lul

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 12, 2018 12:25 PM

Oct 2015
I never heard of Overlord outside these forums, and it is not sth. I am interested in.

I never understood why people would want to watch such-themed videos instead of playing such game. That latter I can perfectly understand, but watching the show instead ? it's beyond me.

1) How in-tune do you think you are with the consensus regarding seasonal shows?
2) Do you feel like you have to watch the most popular new shows to engage in MAL conversation?
3) Does disproportionate attention to shows lead to more interesting conversation being stifled, and if so, how could this be fixed?

1 - very little. I hardly watch any, and usually only after they aired some episodes already. At least so far it was mostly good picks.
2 - no.
Of course discussions about specific anime titles, I better have watched that title. But am interested in more general discussions anyways.
3 - pardon?

-----------------

ps - I dread more all that Violet Evergarden hype-bla than Overlord ...
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jan 12, 2018 12:30 PM

Jul 2013
A third Overlord thread this day? Does that means we'll get another spam?!

Jokes, aside:

1) How in-tune do you think you are with the consensus regarding seasonal shows? Really depends. I'm not very harsh with the seasonals (the most lower scores I tend to give to them are usually 6 or 5), but it's true that, at the time to pick an AOTS, I'm more... demanding (reason why most of my most liked animes of 2017 were mostly sequels).

2) Do you feel like you have to watch the most popular new shows to engage in MAL conversation? Not really, since there are a lot of stuff you can discuss here in MAL without necessarily keeping in track with the most popular series of the moment. I think that just AD alone serves this purposes fine (quality aside).

3) Does disproportionate attention to shows lead to more interesting conversation being stifled, and if so, how could this be fixed? I don't know if it can lead to more interesting conversations, but it can lead to very gritty and bloody flamewars, that's for sure. (Re: Zero being a perfect example of this).
Jan 12, 2018 12:31 PM

Feb 2015
Now I'm confused, what's really the fuss about Overlord? The Lizard men Arc hasn't even aired yet.
Jan 12, 2018 12:34 PM

May 2009
abhutrash said:
Not to perpetuate the meme train, but I was wondering why everyone was talking about Overlord in the Anime Discussion board. I looked at the seasonal chart and was taken aback to find Overlord II as the 2nd most popular series. Personally, I've had no interest in watching the series and dismissed it as standard fare for the edgy kiddies who want to scoff at shows like Bleach, Naruto, and of course SAO. With this I realized I'm completely out of tune with the zeitgeist. I barely ever watch seasonal shows, and when I do, they're normally much lower on the charts, so nobody is talking about them.

3) Does disproportionate attention to shows lead to more interesting conversation being stifled, and if so, how could this be fixed?

1) I decide very early what I want to check out next season - almost as soon as charts are out. If some anime I'm not watching is getting a lot of hype and positive responses, I keep in mind to check it out in the future

2) No. I rarely do that anyway

3) I dont understand this question, please dumb it down for me
Jan 12, 2018 12:40 PM

Jan 2013
No I don't care about Overlord. Stop with these threads smh
Jan 12, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2010
abhutrash said:

1. Idk, my favorite show of the season is rarely the highest rated one (with the exception of stuff like the made in abyss season) and occasionally I'll really dislike some of the biggest shows in a season, but on average I tend to enjoy most of the mainstream successful shows to some degree, even if I often like some of the more niche or obscure shows more. And I generally have a very broad interest so I pick up a lot of seasonals and it doesn't happen very often that I'm completely uninterested in the most popular shows. So I just naturally end up watching most big ones because they interest me anyway. I just also watch a lot of the smaller ones that many people ignore.

2. Not at all, I actually dislike that as a motivation for watching seasonals. All the seasonals I'm most excited for I usually save so I can marathon them after they finished airing and at that point it's usually too late to find much conversation about them anyway, so that isn't really something I care about. I don't really go to AD or whatever to talk about specific series anyway. I'm simulwatching a lot and just enjoy those kind of private, 1 on 1 conversations about a show while or right after you watch it way more than engaging in vague, anonymous arguments on the internet. I like to approach broad and generalized topics on public forums with a lot of different opinions, but when it comes to specific shows I think private discussions are much more productive and enjoyable. Certainly for me they are.

3. As I said I don't think you can fix this on a large scale. The more public and anonymous a discussion is going to be, the more vague it will be and the more misunderstandings and distractions you will face before you can actually start exchanging ideas. So I don't expect big sites like MAL to be good at that. I just use them to find interesting people with whom to have interesting and fun conversations and simulwatches in private.

As for Overlord, it's decently entertaining but not really anything special or too serious. It feels like it's having genuine fun with its isekai concept and that makes it kinda enjoyable for me, although I'd call it a mid-tier show and wouldn't really have cared if nothing else came out after season 1. But I'm definitely still gonna watch it and have some fun.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 12, 2018 12:42 PM

Nov 2014
Reworded the third question in my OP. What I mean to say is that every season there's always at least one less popular show that a few vocal people lament isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Personally, I think this happens, but its inevitable. Not a problem worth actually worrying about, but wanted to see if anyone felt more strongly about it.

Also, wanted to iterate again that I haven't watched Overlord and don't intend to. This thread isn't necessarily supposed to be just about Overlord, but everyone's seasonal patterns and engagement with the anime community.
Jan 12, 2018 12:48 PM

Sep 2017
the only person i've seen on this website that gives two fucks about overlord is @SkyHora
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 12, 2018 12:48 PM

Oct 2017
I didn't like the first season of Overlord too much because nothing happened in the first 5 episodes, but I think season 2 will be more interesting. That's why I'm gonna check it out. Overlord was a series that got better in later episodes, hence pretty high score in MAL, or at least that's what I think. Generally shows that get better over episodes have higher rating because when people give their scores they remember the last episodes better than the earlier ones. Of course if some show is so terrible that you drop it by the first few episodes it will have a bad score but generally this rule applies to most anime. I think Overlord got pretty good in later episodes but the first few episodes were super boring. I thought of dropping the series but I'm glad that I didn't. It doesn't live to the hype in my opinion, but it wasn't the worst thing ever like some people on these forums are saying.

Jan 12, 2018 12:56 PM

Feb 2010
i care because its cool and fun to watch

1) consen what o.o
2) why would someone feel like that??
3) conversation about anime with other human bean may be too awkward
Jan 12, 2018 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
No, no one gives a shit about it. Problem solved.
Jan 12, 2018 1:06 PM

Dec 2015
^This is why no one likes you. I highly suggest you do a self check other wise your next girl will leave you in a similar manner as the last one.

OT Heh, I'm not surprised Overlord is in the top 5 rank. It's one of those anime where the popularity isn't just for show or just some simplistic anime with basic harem and shit. This anime is a classic. It have everything you can ever hope for. ESPECIALLY if you're into a more dark theme genre. Look out for episode 2 of season 2 coming in 4 days on Jan 16. It'll be amazing and the talk of MAL.Get on the train before you're left behind. You WILL NOT regret it.

Lastly it is NOTHING like that trash plot hole harem fasted idiotic show you call Sword art online. This show actually is in a class of its own.
I ship @Cewkie and @DarkZeroCalibur
Jan 12, 2018 3:37 PM

Jul 2015
bc it caters to videogamers & tabletop gamers
especially old mmo players

mc of overlord is trying to accept the fact that his game is dead & his old playgroup has moved on with life.
rl players absolutely know dis feeling.

now that himself is trasported to new fantasy world, he is trying to apply real-life corporate management, interpersonal skills, resource management skills, diplomacy skills. & salemen skills to build his empire of diverse fantasy creatures.
dis is genuinely intresting to fantasy fans, because it tackles many fantasy what-ifs scenarios that many other stories gloss over.
the battles are only besides the point. the two greatest threats to mc thus far have both been from within his own organization.

and lastly, it doesnt take itself seriously. while its an anime w/ some darker themes, it doesn't withhold on comedy, usually derived from the many misunderstandings that occur in the story
since the mc is a human, yet everyone expects him to be a super smart supervillain skeleton tyrant who thinks 10k years ahead.

am absolutely recommend the light novel as it gets into the world building and heads of characters better
the official anime adaptations, ple ple pleidas, and voice dramas should be considered mere supplementary material for the light novel

Jan 12, 2018 3:59 PM
Jul 2018
why is every one making Overlord threads this is kinda getting a bit boring now
Jan 12, 2018 4:05 PM

Oct 2013
I'm more confused. Do people really care about whether or not someone cares about Overlord?

Jan 12, 2018 4:28 PM
Aug 2016
A friend of mine asked me if I watched Overlord, and I said 'no'. So there's that
Jan 12, 2018 4:30 PM

Jan 2017
i don't, never watched it and never will
Jan 12, 2018 4:45 PM

Apr 2017
Just what we needed, another Overlord thread. -10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2018 4:47 PM

Apr 2013
As you can see on this thread there's a certain someone that treats it like the Bible, Anyways, I found it to be meh and all these threads regarding this show to be meh.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Jan 12, 2018 4:48 PM

Jan 2016
Please, stop. Stop making 'Overlord' threads again...
Jan 12, 2018 4:48 PM

May 2014
Idk, seems like standard procedure for a sequel.
Jan 12, 2018 5:39 PM
Jul 2018
Believe it or not, PEOPLE DO care about Overlord. It's one of those series that is known for being very liked for the Protagonist and some of the MMORPG elements implemented to it at the same time.

I personally don't care about it much but S2 was miles better than S1 so far.
Jan 14, 2018 5:47 AM

Oct 2017
Honestly i don't get why people refuse to even watch overlord .. i think it's mostly the people who saw sword art online.. didn't like it and then decided that they would never touch anything with the same genre again. Overlord is nothing like SAO and in my opinion it is a great series in my book a series that manages to pump originallity into a cliche genre is at least worth a watch.
It's not gay i swear...
Jan 14, 2018 9:03 AM

Sep 2013
Overlord is like the hobbit and TLoTR but better.
The story slowly builds up to something grand.
Jan 23, 2018 3:34 AM
Jan 2018
Yes I care about overlord.
Feb 5, 2018 9:29 AM
Dec 2016
well i only care the LN, the anime is just an icing of the cake
Feb 5, 2018 10:54 AM

Oct 2015
Salvatia said:
bc it caters to videogamers & tabletop gamers
especially old mmo players

mc of overlord is trying to accept the fact that his game is dead & his old playgroup has moved on with life.
rl players absolutely know dis feeling.

now that himself is trasported to new fantasy world, he is trying to apply real-life corporate management, interpersonal skills, resource management skills, diplomacy skills. & salemen skills to build his empire of diverse fantasy creatures.
dis is genuinely intresting to fantasy fans, because it tackles many fantasy what-ifs scenarios that many other stories gloss over.
the battles are only besides the point. the two greatest threats to mc thus far have both been from within his own organization.

and lastly, it doesnt take itself seriously. while its an anime w/ some darker themes, it doesn't withhold on comedy, usually derived from the many misunderstandings that occur in the story
since the mc is a human, yet everyone expects him to be a super smart supervillain skeleton tyrant who thinks 10k years ahead.

am absolutely recommend the light novel as it gets into the world building and heads of characters better
the official anime adaptations, ple ple pleidas, and voice dramas should be considered mere supplementary material for the light novel

as little as I was interested in the show (none at all), with your post now I did become somewhat interested.

thanks. :D
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Aug 12, 2019 11:56 PM

Sep 2012
i like Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken and overlord this 2 just made me like animes with mmo settings more, one MC isn't all gody gody what is good change of pase, this 2 are bit darker gray and story is interesting new and unique sao was fine and Log hrorizon was good and some othe issekai animes were good to the ones i have seen but this 2 are just something else

BannoBunka_snork said:
I never heard of Overlord outside these forums, and it is not sth. I am interested in.

I never understood why people would want to watch such-themed videos instead of playing such game. That latter I can perfectly understand, but watching the show instead ? it's beyond me.

1 - very little. I hardly watch any, and usually only after they aired some episodes already. At least so far it was mostly good picks.
2 - no.
Of course discussions about specific anime titles, I better have watched that title. But am interested in more general discussions anyways.
3 - pardon?

-----------------

ps - I dread more all that Violet Evergarden hype-bla than Overlord ...

don't judge book by its cover, don't judge before u have seen it, but i recommend start from log Horizon cause this MC does a lot of stuff by plotting and slight manipulation but for good cause (hes bad ass as strategist so he does fight to but he has support role in party) and hes not dark or gray unlike Overlord mc well he moves between this lines, tries not to be dark but cause hes race is undead it strips him from few human emotions and it makes it hard not to cross that line

judging before seeing it is dumb, i get ppl have different tastes and opinions but if u haven't seen it we can't talk about tastes and opinions
Sugram22Aug 13, 2019 12:10 AM
Nov 13, 2019 11:21 AM

Sep 2019
Who knows? I mean I watched it and I kind of like it. So I don't care what others think about overlord
Nov 13, 2019 2:25 PM

Nov 2014
Trapsii said:
abhutrash said:
dismissed it as standard fare for the edgy kiddies who want to scoff at shows like Bleach, Naruto, and of course SAO.

the amount of gategeeping in anime discussion still amazes me
Not sure if your calling my behavior gatekeeping or agreeing with me because that quote is totally me making fun of childish gatekeepers lmao.

Also, don't @ me about stuff I posted almost two years ago
Nov 25, 2019 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
abhutrash said:

3) Does all the attention going towards the most popular shows ruin the chances for interesting conversation about other seasonal shows,
I'm really getting sick of these "it's overrated" threads.
Nov 25, 2019 5:05 PM

Nov 2014
AkihitoZero5454 said:
abhutrash said:

Im really getting sick of people pinging me on a two year old thread
Feb 21, 2020 8:49 AM

Apr 2014
AkihitoZero5454 said:
abhutrash said:

As am I

It's so cringe.

Feb 21, 2020 1:27 PM

Nov 2014
Dragonage2ftw said:
AkihitoZero5454 said:
As am I

It's so cringe.
Not nearly as 'cringe' as people bumping my thread :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.