Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 19, 2016 10:41 PM

Oct 2014
Recaps are a pretty common thing in anime. Sometimes there are recap episodes that air in the regular air period to give the creators more time (essentially filler), but there are also recap movies that in some cases are actually preferred over the original. Flanders no Inu (Movie) is known to be a better anime than the full series and there are also recap movie series like Madoka movies and the Berserk movies that have content the series they're intended to summarize didn't.

What do you think about recaps? If an anime you're following weekly airs a recap will you watch it? Will you ever watch recap movies of anime you don't feel like spending much time on? Do you think watching a recap movie would make for a good substitute for rewatching or does it not have the same feel to it? Do you think a recap could ever work to fill you in what has happened so far in an anime you haven't seen before?
Dec 19, 2016 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
Aren't the Madoka movies more of a remake than a recap? Have not seen them but I heard they have overall better animation and additional scenes. whatever...

I dislike them and I don't see a point in going for them as a rewatch, unless you for example don't particularly wanna rewatch a first season of an anime but wanna watch the second one/latter ones then they can come in handy.

The madoka movies are the only ones I would consider but then each movie is like 2 hours long while the anime is somewhere around 5 hours so not much is missing.

Don't understand the last question, do you mean watching a recap of anime I've not seen before, why? what for? that's stupid imo.
Dec 19, 2016 10:51 PM

Jun 2016
I don't think recaps are as much fun to watch, I just want to watch something new. I'd probably watch them anyway as long as they aren't movies and hope to see something new. Movies would take me too long and really nit be worth it though. Except if I really like the animu.

I don't think watching a recap will give you a good idea of what happened before, it'll just show you what kind of show it is. Watching a recap will only help you remember a story you've already seen.
Dec 19, 2016 10:55 PM

Jan 2011
Just another cheap way to save money. I'm not a fan of any form of recaps especially hose so called "movies" that are just slapping the first two seasons of a show together.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Dec 19, 2016 10:58 PM

Jul 2012
Generally I don't watch the recap as it's airing because they're only subbed like half the time (if they get subbed at all). But I have no strong feelings one way or the other because I can understand their purpose of often giving a run down of major events, usually at the half way point in 2 cour series or after 9 episodes in single cour series (so 2-3 months in terms of airing time it might be understandable that people watching an airing variation might want a brief rundown).
I usually don't like recap movies since watching movies in general is over an hour commitment and I can rarely work up the motivation for that which is made worse by the idea of a recap.
No I would never substitute a recap for the series itself. I could see it as being a substitute for a rewatch because that's pretty much a case of going back to relive the major events in the series which hopefully the recap would provide. The last question sounds like a duplicate "can it substitute a full series?" which again I would say no. Unless it's saying if you skipped/missed several episodes could it fill in the gaps which is an odd scenario why would somebody skip episodes just to jump into a recap?
GamerDLMDec 19, 2016 11:01 PM
Dec 20, 2016 3:07 AM

May 2015
Never seen a recap movie also I almost always skip recap episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 20, 2016 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
Regarding the movies I watch them for the series I like. But probably won't for BS shows like Kabaneri.
Dec 20, 2016 5:25 AM

Nov 2016
I hate recaps. I have a good enough memory for what happened that it just bothers me with details I already know. Sometime there's an argument that pops out: "yes but if you watch it one episode per week, it's not the same as binge watching it". I have to disagree. It means I have to wait another week to continue the story.

Although Neon Genesis Evangelion had a quick-paced recap that took half an episode and integrated new elements in it. This is recap done right imo.
Dec 20, 2016 5:35 AM

Jan 2016
I usually skip recap.

Regarding movies recap the Gundam 0079 ones weren't bad on the other hand the Zeta Gundam recap movies were terrible.
If someone doesn't have the patience to marathon an old series the movies recap are a good thing especially in a big franchise like Gundam.

Then there are movies like in the Macross franchise that are a recap but also a remake, the Macross Frontier movies gave us a better ending for example.
Johnnyd3rpDec 20, 2016 5:41 AM
Dec 20, 2016 5:55 AM

Feb 2016
Every recap in anime can burn in hell until I find the Toradora recap. I can't find it to save my life. I've tried so many streaming sites and even nyaa.
Dec 20, 2016 9:27 AM

Feb 2015
As I'm quite sure, other fansub/site filters that EP... So I've never seen one except for the Madoka Magica movies, except the movie sequel.
Dec 20, 2016 9:34 AM

Jul 2016
I only watch the recaps if there is content that was not included, they broadcasted the story in a weird order, or if I'm coming back to an anime and I've forgotten quite a bit about what happened.
Dec 20, 2016 9:38 AM

Dec 2012
There are two kinds of recaps , Good recaps and bad recaps ... For eg.

1. Code geass is getting 3 recap movies before season 2 ... It is a good recap as it is needed by us or else we would need to rewatch both seasons again..

2. 91 days had a recap episode which was not needed at all ... It is an example of bad recap since they did it because of production problems...
KazuroWeisemannDec 20, 2016 9:48 AM

Dec 21, 2016 4:41 AM

Feb 2016
I always skip the recap episodes. I'll just check the last couple minutes of the ep to see if they do a short scene to set up the next real epsiode.

I can understand a recap episode every once in a while in a long runner, especially if they just came off a filler arc and need to remind people of the real story before some major plotlines start, but it's irritating when a 12 ep series decides to throw a recap in at ep 8. How inattentive do you think people are?
Dec 21, 2016 4:44 AM

Dec 2015
I don't watch recap episodes, but I sometimes say yes to recap movies (Berserk).
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 21, 2016 8:58 AM

Nov 2013
They're universally terrible. The only good ones are the one from Avatar and the one from the Clerks cartoon.
Dec 21, 2016 12:43 PM

Apr 2015
Lain, Eva, and FMA:B all did recap episodes pretty nicely. Utena tried, but screwed it up all three times it worked on it.

But aside from that, I normally give recap episodes a dead-dog rating. They serve no point for us when we have the option of watching anime in ways other then weekly-airing.

I don't really have issues with recap films though. They just typically get a score slightly lower then the original for being just more of the same.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Dec 21, 2016 12:53 PM

May 2015
use recaps pretty much exclusively for when I either know the anime too well to rewatch it fully again (like when I just rewatched it 2 days ago), but still feeling like wanting to see the series again, or to get in the mood again after putting it on hold for a while.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Dec 2012
They may sometimes be worth watching if they have new content, but for the most part I just use the video's progress bar to skip through them.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Dec 21, 2016 2:02 PM

May 2016
I'd only watch a recap if there's a second season of an anime I like and I forgot things of the first season, or if it offers something new.
Dec 21, 2016 2:14 PM

Dec 2015
i usually skip recaps, and i did the mistake of watching AnoHana the movie the same day i finished watching all 11 episodes of the show. it had some new scenes in it but i was bored asf watching it. i mightve liked it better if it wasnt all in the same day, but AnoHana wasnt that good either ways, so who knows.
no

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 5 hours ago

22 by luckyrune »»
7 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes on MAL?

Zarutaku - 5 hours ago

3 by LenRea »»
39 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

46 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
1 hour ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

104 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

100 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.