Forum Settings
Forums

What's more important? The villain or hero?

New
What's more important? The villain or hero?
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 21, 2016 5:12 AM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
KaoruMatsuoka said:
I have the philosophy that the hero makes the story but the villain breaks it. The bad guy has to be the most interesting person in the show because he's the driving force behind the conflict. Why is he or she doing immoral things? What motive do they have to cause conflict? A good villain lets you find out these things as the story goes along, and often I tend to root for them. Meanwhile, the hero gets by due to the fact that the villain's actions motivate him or her. If the villain of a story is unbelievable or uncomfortably written, I'm definitely not going to like the story.

I think it's a little sad that in many places, the villain creates the story. It speaks volume about the protagonist, how they're end up being fairly uninteresting.
It's not exactly a bad thing if the protag is bland because usually that means they're inoffensive and I won't hate them. I tend to like more amoral ones, though, that would probably be the villains of another story.

And yes I tend to root for whoever I find more interesting.
Mar 21, 2016 9:28 AM
Nov 2008
I'm going to say heroes but also villains, the reason One Piece has lasted so long is because the heroes are amazing and fun to watch and are genuinely good heroes, but also the villains are well written and dynamic. Honestly for me Oda is the boss when it comes to writing, he's been able to keep people interested for so long that it's amazing. You cry, laugh, get angry, you feel so connected with his characters that it's hard to not want to know more. I'm a fangirl of his abilities, but I also feel that way about Hideaki Sorachi and other talented writers of manga.
Mar 22, 2016 6:56 AM

May 2015
KaoruMatsuoka said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I think it's a little sad that in many places, the villain creates the story. It speaks volume about the protagonist, how they're end up being fairly uninteresting.
It's not exactly a bad thing if the protag is bland because usually that means they're inoffensive and I won't hate them. I tend to like more amoral ones, though, that would probably be the villains of another story.

It's reasonable to root for the most interesting. Interesting characters aren't bland, since humans aren't bland but weird. The interesting characters resemble us the most. Bland characters are just strings the creators use to manipulate the story.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 22, 2016 6:57 AM

Mar 2012
They're both overrated.

Grey Morality Characters are way better.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Mar 22, 2016 7:04 AM

May 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
KaoruMatsuoka said:

It's reasonable to root for the most interesting. Interesting characters aren't bland, since humans aren't bland but weird. The interesting characters resemble us the most. Bland characters are just strings the creators use to manipulate the story.
Or they're used to self-insert, which is the most common reason characters are bland these days.
Mar 22, 2016 7:24 AM

Jun 2012
Zefyris said:
What do you do when there's no villain though. Look at non non biyori. What's important is the nyanpasu quality(and the countryside), not the villain.

So Nyanpasu (loli)>countryside (real MC of non non biyori)> non existent antagonist.
So I vote loli. QED.
Holy shit...

This is the most enlightening post I've ever come across.

Thank you, Zefyris-sama.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 23, 2016 1:28 AM

May 2015
KaoruMatsuoka said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Or they're used to self-insert, which is the most common reason characters are bland these days.

I will never understand how anyone can enjoy self-insert characters.

The dullness is strong.
Mar 23, 2016 1:31 AM

Mar 2015
Semen-Demon said:
They're both overrated.

You can still be grey morality and a hero or villain at the same time. Look at Hunter x Hunter.

Probably the two most major fights of the series are between a grey morality hero and a grey morality villain.
Mar 23, 2016 1:33 AM
Jan 2015
Gator said:
Obviously the hero since we'll be spending a lot more time with him/her than with the villain.

This basically sums it up right here.
My Queens

Apr 12, 2016 9:32 AM
Mar 2016
Just harem / catgirls / kuuderes i don't care about the rest.
Apr 15, 2016 3:06 AM

May 2015
FloatingIdiot said:
Semen-Demon said:
They're both overrated.

You can still be grey morality and a hero or villain at the same time. Look at Hunter x Hunter.

Probably the two most major fights of the series are between a grey morality hero and a grey morality villain.

True. 'Grey morality' doesn't mean no heroes and villains. It means we get to understand the villain, that he's more than someone to defeat.
Apr 15, 2016 6:59 AM

Feb 2016
I think, that for a certain anime, the most important character (be it a hero or villain) is the one who sets the plot in motion, if it is a character-motivated plot, or the one where the plot revolves or emphasizes or develops the most, if it is a story-driven plot and characters aretools for advancing the plot. Heroes and villains have the ability to play such role, so it really depends. But I think for most anime, heroes more often than not sets the plot in motion with some motivation in mind, and it is in heroes' perspectives that the plot is being largely developed, so it seems that anime developers mostly consider heroes as a more important plot of the series.
A retard is trying to prove his point, thanks.
Apr 15, 2016 7:21 AM
Sep 2011
For me, a hero is more important. A story doesn't even need a villain to have a good heroic protagonist. Someone who does mundane things to help others or saves lives from dangers not caused by a gloating sadist in a cape.

A show with only a villain on the other hand would only be interesting to me if it was a comical misadventures series, where their own incompetence usually causes their own downfall.
Apr 15, 2016 9:36 AM

Jul 2014
Imo, the hero of course. You gonna spend lots of time watching this guy and if he is empty and featureless i don't think it would be intresting to watch the show at all
Apr 15, 2016 10:35 AM

Mar 2016
I vote villain. Without an awesome and extraordinary villain there would not be an amazing hero.
Apr 15, 2016 2:03 PM

Apr 2014
I say hero because there are many shows where there aren't any villains just wild beasts/monsters that the MC has to stop.
Apr 15, 2016 2:55 PM

May 2015
KazuyaKujo said:
I say hero because there are many shows where there aren't any villains just wild beasts/monsters that the MC has to stop.

Really? Which ones? I haven't seen any of these.
Apr 15, 2016 3:01 PM

Apr 2010
You didn't add the option- Anti-hero. The anti-hero is way more interesting than a villain.
Apr 15, 2016 3:13 PM

Jun 2013
The viewers

(don't mind this i need at least 30 characters)
Apr 15, 2016 4:37 PM

Jul 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
KazuyaKujo said:

Shingeki has no clear villain except for the Titans. Same goes for God Eater and Black Bullet.
Apr 15, 2016 8:16 PM

Apr 2016
Without a villain there is nothing for a hero to do. And no u can't explain that away with romance genre bcuz romancing girls don't make u a hero.

It is important that people realize protagonist and hero aren't synonymous terms, and there are plenty of shows where there is no hero. Even a person being just "not bad" or trying to survive doesn't make them a hero.

I like lolis alot but i wanted to vote seriously on this. I'm actually fine with less lolis in shows as long as they stay in hentai.
Apr 16, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2015
Tenshi_Shura said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Shingeki has no clear villain except for the Titans. Same goes for God Eater and Black Bullet.

Oh, you're right. I missed that. Digimon Tamers also has something similar in the ending. Both of these shows have highly developed heroes though.
Apr 17, 2016 9:23 AM

Apr 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:
KazuyaKujo said:

Chrome Shelled Regios - contaminoids
Sidonia no Kishi S1- Gauna (S2 just started i haven't checked it out yet
what Tenshi_Shura said
and Tamers had a sad ending too :[ poor leomon
Apr 28, 2016 7:02 AM
Nov 2015
Villain of course !
The villain is the party that make the plot progress the most !
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

99 by Seven »»
2 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

41 by schizocat »»
10 minutes ago

» is being possessive of an anime, a symbol of ur attachment to it?

BerriesSan - Yesterday

11 by schizocat »»
15 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - Yesterday

31 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - 40 minutes ago

2 by FanofAction »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.