Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 6, 2021 8:48 AM

Jun 2020
What a fantastic anime. This anime is what I would call a hidden gem. A really good anime that more people need to see.
Jun 29, 2021 3:25 PM

Apr 2009
Nice surprise to hear (and see) Miyu again.
We get to learn more about his family. It makes us understand even more why he would seek validation in this way with his addiction.
They wrapped the show up really nicely, with that quote at the end.
Aug 1, 2021 12:01 PM

Feb 2020
This anime is awesome, man. We need more stuff like this.
9/10
Oct 9, 2021 3:03 PM

Feb 2020
When I started this show, I had a lot of words in mind to describe it, but "heartwarming" wasn't one of them. Now, after all these episodes and that final message, it is actually the word that best describes how I feel about it. That's so sweet, I love it.

First of all, did Irabu confess to Mayumi ? If so that's super cute, I never shipped them but now I can kind of see it. Also, I never realized that the ed was about Mayumi but it makes a lot of sense now. I love that she turned out not being a simple fanservice character but actually having a lot of depth.

About Irabu, he was such a great character. I was confused about the three personalities but then I understood that they simply are all him, he can be goofy, childish, deadpan, but also highly competent... All at once, because that's the thing : we are multifaceted beings, it's not because we are flawed on some aspects that we don't have our qualities. In Irabu's case, he is a manchild but despite what one would think, that doesn't undermine at all his actual competences as a doctor, actually we can even say it complements them on some parts. As the teenage boy said himself, it's probably for the best to have a very jovial therapist instead of an overly serious one. Because serious people sometimes are just so serious, they do not actually pay attention to the most important aspect : humanity. Meanwhile a fun-loving person might seem like an airhead, but they are paying attention to what really matters. The show being so wacky yet so meaningful is the perfect representation of that.
After all the show never actually provided any real advice coming from real therapists, but that's because that's absolutely not the point, and in a way, I find this method to be so much more helpful than what you can get from actual therapists.

Regarding the messages, the one about paying attention to people around us is also great. No one is perfect, that also means no one has absolutely zero problem. It's not just us, and people being annoying to us might be because they're actually suffering. We might not be able to heal them, not everyone is a doctor, but we can always bring them what is actually what they need the most which is attention and love. No one has to be alone.

About the other characters, I loved how developed they were despite not getting much screentime, it was so easy to get attached to them. I found that quite scary that I sometimes could relate so much to them, but each time the episode made it so that instead of getting all depressed or anxious over it, I felt understood and like the show was telling me that everything is fine, and that made me feel good.

Now, I might have a little complaint, which is that I found it a shame that almost every patient suffered from OCD. I said the point wasn't to get an actual therapy session but it still would have been interesting for it to deal with a widest range of disorders, there are so many.

But overall, that was great. The characters, the messages, the symbolisms, the art style... I loved it. (And I forgot to mention that this was a lot of fun, the episode about impulse provided me some of my best laughs from anime.) I'm giving it a strong 8/10, I might not like it enough to give it more but it's still a great score and much enough for me to add it to my favorites !
FafetteOct 9, 2021 3:28 PM
Jan 2, 2022 2:51 PM

Feb 2020
almost wish the episode placement was switched bc this wasn't the best episode, but overall still a great and highly distinct anime. A bit disappointed that there were no female patients but that's ok I guess...Mayumi made up for it lol
Jan 11, 2022 3:13 AM

Nov 2018
Solid 7.0/10 - a simple effective showcase of deep psychological themes through a mix of comedy and art-house animation; highly reminds me of Tatami Galaxy

I'd watch season 2 for sure.
ZevvenJan 11, 2022 3:17 AM
I hate everyone equally
Feb 19, 2022 5:30 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was actually a great way to end the anime with this philosophy, probably the best episode, really an underrated anime overall, but I suppose that its aesthetic and direction is not for everyone, even though it's what does its charm I would say. 8/10
Mar 5, 2022 3:41 PM

Mar 2020
feels like this woulda been better if it was a movie instead, kinda like Mind Game.

the episodic formula got repetitive and obnoxious quick and after a while even the “quirky” style & visuals got stale
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Mar 28, 2022 3:36 PM

Aug 2012
While not one of my favourites of the series, the final episode was still great. I think in terms of wrapping up the series, this worked extremely well. The canary analogy/advice is not only good advice and works for Hideo's story but I think it pays of the shows general structure in a meaningful way. One of the greatest strengths in this show was that all 11 episodes take place around the same time, allowing for plenty of cross-overs between the individual narratives, and I think this concept ties into that in a clever way. Not to mention, a few of the individual narratives were resolved by listening to the voices of other canaries, Bando's and Sei's both come to mind.

And even beyond that, the ending note that "No one is perfect!" is actually perfect. Not only do I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more fitting sign off for a show about mental illness, but I feel like the show has been building up to this sentiment for awhile. Iwamura recent case didn't end with him resolving his OCD, it ended by highlighting potential positives it can bring him and with him finding a method to handle the more destructive aspects of it (being the boarding house). The narcissist himself found success after learning to manage and lean into it. Early on, the depictions were more like definite problems that needed a solution, Bando's pitching or Taguchi's boner, and while I'm not saying Iwamura or Hiromi's didn't a solution, I feel like the series intentionally structured these more deeply-rooted issues near the end, in a manner to paint them with different strokes and so you can still be successful by learning to manage your situation rather than just being something you could remove. And with the penultimate episode being this more heartwarming case with Tanabe, it certainly feels like the series has been getting increasingly more compassionate throughout the run, making this conclusion land harder.

While I initial assumed the final episode might be about trying to discover Hideo's problem, him not actually definitively having one is a lot better because it really sells the message at the end. And his breakdowns in the toilet is probably the most visually demented the series has gotten, with his childlike behavior or the facial performance during the live action moments. It's not without it's fun moments, when Irabu starts skipping backwards towards his stall I got a good laugh out of that. I think the whole resolution to this plotline was fantastic.

Also, I'm guessing, the end of episode 9 was Hideo coming to see Irabu properly?

As for the series itself, I loved it. 9/10, and that's more because I'm ridiculously stringent on what I give a 10 rather than any failing of the show. Such a fantastic, unique, little series.
Jul 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Sep 2018
That was quite brilliant and a lot better than what I initially expected after watching the first episode. It was hilarious, informative, charming and in the end, pretty damn wholesome.

Cleverly constructed anime with an actual unique style that also contains substance, something that is lacking in a lot of eccentric anime.

That was the first thing I've seen from Kenji Nakamura, looking forward to watching his other works. 9/10.
Oct 24, 2022 3:58 PM

Jan 2020
Well, out of the gate, I don't know what's going on in this episode, but this setup is rather intense; echoed by the scenes with the doctor venting in the bathroom. I wouldn't say this was necessarily the strongest episode as a whole, but, like with every episode, it had its moments.

I legitimately loved every minute of Irabu and Mayumi, I'm not sure if this show could even work without them. Brilliant main characters.

Overall; I wasn't really sure what to expect from this series going into it, but I'm glad I watched it. It was quite good and rather interesting. I definitely think more people ought to check it out as it's both entertaining and provides some good, general information about mental health.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Oct 25, 2022 1:52 PM

Jan 2010
Doctors needing doctors is a real issue. For the people who use up all their time to help others, who helps them in return? In terms of visuals, this episode went far and beyond to depict Tsuda's breakdown. Holy crap.

Overall, Trapeze is a hell of an experience. With all of its abstract imagery and vibrant, schizophrenic color scheme, it goes all out in representing minds a few steps removed from reality. Characters throughout are trapped within their own traumas, plagued by insecurities and anxieties, and are overtly stressed by social pressures, work, and family. Words can't begin to describe the amount of creativity shown throughout Trapeze, and I absolutely hold it up as an actual psychological anime, given it deals specifically with psychological illnesses, disorders, and phenomena. What a ride.
Feb 4, 2023 7:44 AM

Jun 2019
My 217th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 6/10 rating.
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM
Des31

Oct 2020
Surprisingly enjoyable to watch didn't expect it has a good plot story when watching the first episode Especially the animation feel to weird for me but we'll it's still feel a bit weird for me till the end though, Worth to watch 9/10
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 12, 2009

68 by Selleri_UmU »»
Jun 6, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 4 Discussion

tsubasalover - Nov 5, 2009

45 by Selleri_UmU »»
Jun 6, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Dec 10, 2009

53 by Karva1 »»
May 4, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 19, 2009

69 by Karva1 »»
May 4, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Kuchu Buranko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Oct 22, 2009

95 by Karva1 »»
May 4, 11:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.