Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 3, 2015 1:31 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
An expected although imo somewhat underwhelming ending. However, this loooooong journey of Ushio and Tora imo was well worth it.

8/10. Hakumen no Mono is also a great antagonist. I wonder who will voice him in the anime adaptation...
Jul 2, 2015 6:03 AM

Jan 2011
I loved the way they tied everything into the final battle, even if some felt poorly shoehorned. There were some definite areas that need improvement but overall it was a good read. I think a lot of it will work better animated so I'm fairly hyped for the anime.
Aug 9, 2015 2:08 AM

Sep 2013
I'm a little confused, did Tora come back or not? Or was it purposefully so confusingly bittersweet
Aug 29, 2015 9:36 AM

Jan 2009
ArtemisFlow said:
I'm a little confused, did Tora come back or not? Or was it purposefully so confusingly bittersweet

The ending dialogue suggests that Tora will eventually re-appear, which is then implied in the last panel. How that happens or why is left up to your imagination.

Overall, the ending is bittersweet, because of all the lives lost during the course of the manga (Hyouuuu).
Sep 5, 2015 11:59 PM

Jan 2013
So this manga was decent overall but with some very apparent flaws.

This manga's often slow paced, idling, long winded plot which with different planning could have made it about 20 volumes instead of a whopping 33 volumes. The plot honestly doesn't completely focus itself on what matters until volume 27.

Stalling/procrastination of the story via more of less filler chapters was rather annoying. So many chapters were wasted on characters who only very briefly appear during the final battle against Hakumen no Mono. The mangaka gave up too much space trying to give relevance, panel time, and development to so many generic side characters who not only lacked much potential for growth, but were never interesting characters to begin with, and ultimately did not matter in the grand scheme of things. Their "development" felt contrived, hamfisted, and often awkward. This situation is the opposite of a manga like Naruto, which early on plants the seeds for great development for many intriguing side characters, but fails to properly act on it. Ushio and Tora goes to the other extreme. It tries in vain over dozens and dozens and dozens of superfluous chapters trying to get readers to care about characters who frankly are very forgettable and do not matter. Once again, this manga could have and should have been almost half as long as it is. And why was there virtually no father-son relationship between Ushio and Shigure? I get that both of them were extremely occupied trying to stop Hakumen no Mono from wrecking the entire damn country, but still. They didn't have much of bond beyond comic relief.

On the plus side, I like the intertwined backstories of Hakumen no Mono and Tora, and the manga's symbolic message that hatred, bitterness, envy, and insecurity can not only harm yourself but others too. Such feelings can develop into a horrifying monster, represented by Hakumen no Mono, who was so far steeped in hatred, fear, and envy that he could only find joy in the misery and destruction of others. Ushio and Tora, despite its really slow, dragged out pacing at times, has a deep and important message that people across time and place, due to the unfairness and hardships in this life, have struggled to embrace. The manga argues for this by showing that even in the name of justice, people can lose their way to hatred and revenge--ultimately and ironically becoming the very thing they hate most. Even the cliched I-will-protect-my-nakama type protagonist Ushio temporarily lost his way in an abyss of dark hatred against Hakumen, the source of all his harsh battles and trials. So I must say, this manga has a keen understanding of the human condition.

So much for those people who say that shounen series are full of mindless fighting without anything thought provoking. The metaphor and symbolism is there, people. All you have to do is rid yourself of misguided presuppositions and actually pay attention.

Anyway, I give this a 6/10 score overall. I would score it higher if it weren't for the story being so unnecessarily dragged out. That was this manga's biggest flaw.
ExaccusSep 8, 2015 6:46 AM
Salmon is delicious.
Nov 26, 2023 8:07 AM

May 2020
Damn, what a finale. A bit cliche and I wish we got an extended epilogue but damn if it wasn't satisfying. Tora coming back isn't much of a stretch because he does mention in one of the chapters that Youkai never truly die and that they can return.

Overall, what an amazing manga. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did but goddamn is this good. It's definitely not perfect but unlike the post above, I actually the interactions and relationships between Ushio and the people he meets. Are they particularly well written or memorable ? Not always but it's so goddamn refreshing to see a battle manga actually implement the "Power of Friendship" trope so well, when many others do the bare minimum and make it feel like an asspull. I genuinely loved how the various characters we meet have some small part to play in the finale against Hakumen, because it reinforces the major theme of this manga : You can't fight alone, no matter how strong you are. So many lesser manga would've completely forgotten or ignored the side characters we've met on this journey but the author made sure to fit them in as well as possible. The only character that never really went anywhere is Kyouji but I guess the author ran out of time to do him justice.

The character interactions definitely could've been better though, which is definitely a major flaw of this manga. Tora and Ushio have the same dynamic for most of this manga from the beginning until almost the end, which grates thin after the first few times. It got better towards the end but it definitely did lower my enjoyment for the manga a bit.

Could this manga have been better ? Sure but I think it told the story it wanted to tell in a very satisfying way and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Definitely one of the best battle shounens I've read.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ushio to Tora Chapter 312 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Dec 8, 2014

2 by TitanInsane »»
Nov 26, 2023 7:45 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora Chapter 304 Discussion

KuroDubZero - Apr 7, 2011

3 by TitanInsane »»
Nov 26, 2023 7:25 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora Chapter 241 Discussion

Pirating_Ninja - Dec 6, 2014

2 by TitanInsane »»
Nov 26, 2023 12:01 AM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora Chapter 237 Discussion

TitanInsane - Nov 25, 2023

0 by TitanInsane »»
Nov 25, 2023 11:17 PM

Poll: » Ushio to Tora Chapter 230 Discussion

TitanInsane - Nov 25, 2023

0 by TitanInsane »»
Nov 25, 2023 8:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.