Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2008 3:32 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just a perfect little gem of a movie. (not from a shop either, but raw!)

Three moments I loved were:

# Seiji being asked to play the violin, with Shizuku singing, then the three guys join in with their instruments.

# Seiji and Shizuku on the roof with the entire class having followed them from the classroom, hilarious.

# "Will you marry me?"

EDIT: I should clarify by raw I meant the gem and not the anime, my Japanese isnt that good yet...ahem.
KinetaSep 9, 2012 7:54 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 9, 2008 4:23 PM

Mar 2007
This is my favorite Ghibli movie~ The violin scene is great, and it is nice that Shizuku's singing isn't all perfect. This is based on a shoujo manga that is a bit different, but also very good.

A fun thing to follow it up with is 'The Cat Returns'. Not as good but still a lot of fun :)

Jul 9, 2008 4:41 PM

Jan 2008
MagicalEmi said:
A fun thing to follow it up with is 'The Cat Returns'. Not as good but still a lot of fun :)

Yeah, I realised Cat Returns is a kind of sequel of sorts, lucky I decided to watch this first on a whim!

Any other film and there would be a sub-plot of her parents 'not understanding' and becoming antagonists, but not in Ghibli-land. Instead of using that tired plot device, they simply go with compassionate parents allowing a child to test her own limits.

Ghibli is just awesome, always.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 11, 2008 3:52 PM

May 2008
the ending seemed a bit rushed.
other than that, it was pretty good.

Nov 21, 2008 7:45 PM

Aug 2008
U know its funny when people say this and that is rushed then when i see what their talking about the problem they mention don't exist so the ending was not rushed
Aug 5, 2009 7:36 PM

Aug 2007
I was expecting more since it was from studio ghibli. It was really boring and not much happened - the relationships all felt rushed. I'm not even sure what the point of it was but I'm guessing it was something about finding out what you wanna do with life. Meh. 6/10
Aug 20, 2009 1:51 AM

Jan 2009
Even though the "lets get married!" bit felt kinda rushed and out of place, I think it goes well with the whole fairy tale aspect of the movie.

Lovely film, mainly because I'm a sucker for slice of life plus I'm up for a good romance. This is actually one of the few animes where I prefer the dubbed version over subs. Probably because the first time I experienced it was in the dub form. The Country Road songs definitely works better in dubbed.

See for yourself!

9/10!

Sep 6, 2009 8:37 AM

Sep 2009
I found the "marry me!" a little rushed too-- but Miyazaki himself explained his decision for that, saying that these days young people never want to commit to anything, always putting off this and that for their careers and other things. He said he just wanted two people to make a clear commitment to each other, is all. Hm.
"I think I know, I don't think I know, I don't think think I know, I don't think I think." - Ed
Sep 6, 2009 12:15 PM

Apr 2008
Loved it. So simply yet so beautiful.

Do you want to go back to those days? I do.
Oct 28, 2009 2:15 AM

Jun 2009
I've never really been a fan of Miyazaki, as I didn't really like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke as much as others have. But, I thought this was a much better movie. I thought the use of Country Roads was an excellent choice and fit the theme of the movie really well. I give this an 8/10, as I thought the ending was rushed as well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 28, 2009 2:55 AM

Apr 2008
If you're thinking that the ending was a little odd, just remember that Japan does have different customs and traditions regarding marriage than the West.
Oct 28, 2009 3:04 AM

Jun 2009
PolleyPower said:
If you're thinking that the ending was a little odd, just remember that Japan does have different customs and traditions regarding marriage than the West.

Come on, of course I know that. I said the ending was rushed, not odd.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 28, 2009 3:12 AM

Apr 2008
Wasn't necessarily referring to your post.
Nov 1, 2009 2:24 PM
Feb 2009
Beatnik said:
Three moments I loved were:

# Seiji being asked to play the violin, with Shizuku singing, then the three guys join in with their instruments.

# Seiji and Shizuku on the roof with the entire class having followed them from the classroom, hilarious.

# "Will you marry me?"

Exact same 3 moments I loved too. I can't believe nobody ever recommended this to me. Great movie.

*Sayonara... Country road*
Nov 4, 2009 12:58 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, Miyazaki never fails to amaze me. Although I really enjoy the fantasy elements seen in most of his films, I would like to see more slice of life from Studio Ghibli.
Nov 9, 2009 8:15 PM
Dec 2008
I just need to state here that I absolutely love this film with all of my heart. It is unbelievably uplifting, if the viewer lets go of all trace of cynicism
Nov 9, 2009 8:15 PM
Dec 2008
jmkhm said:
Wow, Miyazaki never fails to amaze me. Although I really enjoy the fantasy elements seen in most of his films, I would like to see more slice of life from Studio Ghibli.

Miyazaki did not direct this film.
Nov 11, 2009 6:12 PM

Aug 2009
Prayermad said:
jmkhm said:

Miyazaki did not direct this film.

Odd, I knew that before I watched the film but somehow forgot by the time I finished it. Simple mistake.
Nov 12, 2009 8:14 PM

Feb 2009
Wow this movie was so good, I can't believe how good it was, I guess I wasn't expecting it. The story is just amazing and the characters are real... yup they must be, it's the only plausible reason I can find to explain the fact that I was so touched and moved just by watching the kids playing the violin and singing upstairs with the old man and his music buddies joining them when they arrive home.

The movie really has very touching moments and amazing quotes, specially by the old man, It was fascinating listening to him telling his stories and watching his amazing wonder shop.

And the soundtrack was so good, I like country music, but that's it, I'm not a fan or anything, but the way it was played in this movie was really great. Music can really give and epic touch to any story that's already good.

I can't give this movie a 10 because of 2 things: The beautiful art... that unfortunately is very similiar and always reminds me of the characters of the previous Ghibli I've seen... and the ending, which was not bad, but it did feel a little rushed. Comparing this ending to the one in Only Yesterday really shows how an ending can completely affect the enjoyment of an entire anime/movie/story.
Jan 30, 2010 2:26 AM

Sep 2008
Another fantastic movie from Studio Ghibli. Totally saw this coming...
May 5, 2010 11:58 AM

Feb 2010
This was a really cute film. I liked the dubbing, although I felt Seiju's voice was too deep for his character.

The scene at ~1:15 transitioning from Shizuku's imagination to cityscape brought a tear to my eye.
May 16, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2009
Love it when they play the music in the store
Jul 7, 2010 11:30 AM

May 2010
I voted for It Was OK because there were some good parts, but I give the actual movie a 4/10. It was compeltely boring and lame.
Boo: "Boo!"
Jul 21, 2010 7:58 PM

Oct 2009
Classic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2010 5:26 PM
Jul 2010
i absoluately love this movie
it is one miyazaki's best movies ever
i also love the story plot and the romance
Aug 8, 2010 5:35 PM

Aug 2010
This movie was so beautiful to me and even today it's my favorite from Studio Ghibli (but I like all of their films). It was so sweet. I don't remember what happened the day the first time I watched it, but it made everything feel cheery. ^^

Unlike a lot of you, I really found it cute how Seiji asked Shizuku to marry him. But with all series, I'm very happy to see wedding/proposal type things. :P
Aug 9, 2010 1:34 PM

Dec 2008
Damn this is one of the most perfect anime movies i have see the animation was amazing the story was beautiful the music was outstanding and the character development was amazing i'm gonna buy the dvd version for sure damn this is the first anime movie that made my cry.
Takeshi-sanAug 9, 2010 1:50 PM
Sep 18, 2010 9:50 PM
Feb 2010
insan3soldiern said:
I've never really been a fan of Miyazaki, as I didn't really like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke as much as others have. But, I thought this was a much better movie.

Ditto, but I gave it an "8" because of the talking Baron sequences and excessive schmaltz.
Oct 8, 2010 8:21 PM
Jul 2010
blindassassin said:
insan3soldiern said:
I've never really been a fan of Miyazaki, as I didn't really like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke as much as others have. But, I thought this was a much better movie.

Ditto, but I gave it an "8" because of the talking Baron sequences and excessive schmaltz.

How is that even possible?
Oct 11, 2010 1:12 PM

Jun 2009
Burnside said:
blindassassin said:
insan3soldiern said:

How is that even possible?

Oh, it's possible. I just always thought the Miyazaki movies were lacking in characterization. I felt as though the cards were there, they just weren't dealt. But, above all I just didn't like them. I realize how much people generally like his movies, but after seeing more anime I can tell you there are far better told stories out there and far better character development.

I still think Whisper of the Heart is Ghibli's best movie though.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 20, 2010 9:08 AM
Dec 2008
"storytelling" and "character development" are two highly overrated concepts in filmmaking, in my stupid opinion
Oct 21, 2010 12:26 AM

Jan 2008
chumlum said:
"storytelling" and "character development" are two highly overrated concepts in filmmaking, in my stupid opinion

WTF does that sentence even mean? Do you only like abstract art installation video clips then?
Oct 22, 2010 2:30 AM
Dec 2008
Beatnik said:
chumlum said:

WTF does that sentence even mean? Do you only like abstract art installation video clips then?

it means just what i said. visuals, sound, atmosphere & poignancy are more important components. i've noticed that bad films are usually highly regarded by the kind of people who constantly use terms like "storytelling" and "character development", these people miss the point of movies that work in different ways.

fortunately, whisper of the heart is a very accessible movie, it does tell a story and it does have obvious character development, but to me other things are more important in this movie.
Oct 22, 2010 3:40 AM

Jun 2009
chumlum said:
Beatnik said:
chumlum said:

it means just what i said. visuals, sound, atmosphere & poignancy are more important components. i've noticed that bad films are usually highly regarded by the kind of people who constantly use terms like "storytelling" and "character development", these people miss the point of movies that work in different ways.

fortunately, whisper of the heart is a very accessible movie, it does tell a story and it does have obvious character development, but to me other things are more important in this movie.

I'm sorry man, but all those aspects go out the window if the characters aren't well developed or, at the very least, well characterized. It's hard for a work to be "poignant" if you don't care about whats happening to the characters on screen, after all.

Obviously, though, those things go hand in hand. Also, those "bad films" you mentioned, aren't just movies you considered bad are they?

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 22, 2010 9:30 AM
Dec 2008
i'm being way too snarky for the sake of it. sorry about that.

but, about characters and their development, not all movies have characters or even a (coherent?) narrative (believe it or not)

character development can go against a movies basic principles. characters aren't always dynamic. storytelling/narrative is usually necessary but is to me not as important as other things i mentioned.

insan3soldiern said:

Obviously, though, those things go hand in hand. Also, those "bad films" you mentioned, aren't just movies you considered bad are they?

i can't let someone else decide what's bad for me. if i say that something is bad, of course, that's only what i think, that's a given.
chumlumOct 23, 2010 10:04 AM
Oct 22, 2010 9:33 AM
Dec 2008
here is a clip from a movie that has virtually no character development, and barely a narrative. it is still fantastic, it is more like cinematic poetry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUD4f1FwrEg&feature=related
Dec 11, 2010 8:24 PM

May 2010
It started out good, I wish there were more interactions between the guy and girl. I am going to give it 7/10
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 19, 2011 8:44 AM

Aug 2008
I enjoyed it. Was a lovely film.

Definitely had the "Country Roads" song in my head for a few days after. So cute.
Feb 7, 2011 8:42 PM

Mar 2009
I love this movie. It may not be quite the pinnacle of animation that, say, Spirited Away is, but it's one of the few movies that can compete with Aria in terms of leaving you with warm fuzzy feelings.
Feb 22, 2011 4:25 PM
Nov 2010
A great movie from Studio Ghibli. The ending was a little bit short, but I've watched the movie several times and continue to enjoy it. Whisper of the Heart and Kiki's Delivery Service are two of my all-time favorite anime movies. Most certainly not recommended for cynics.
Feb 23, 2011 11:27 AM

Sep 2008
Davi3d said:
Most certainly not recommended for cynics.

chumlum said:
I just need to state here that I absolutely love this film with all of my heart. It is unbelievably uplifting, if the viewer lets go of all trace of cynicism

well unfortunately, I've been a bit more cynical than my usual self lately and that did hamper my enjoyment a bit, but I still enjoyed the movie a lot. I liked the the message, and the scene with the jamming session was probably my fav, followed by the 2-3 scenes of her story (Surreal! ) And the animation was just amazing. I kind of like that 90s feel to the movie and its presentation; I absolutely love the late 80s-90s vibe in any movie, anime or no.

insan3soldiern said:

Oh, it's possible. I just always thought the Miyazaki movies were lacking in characterization. .

actually this isnt a miyazaki movie, the director is someone else but its by the same studio created by Miyazaki, takahata isao (Grave of the fireflies) and toshio suzuki (chief producer of Ghibli).

Also i kind of agree with Chumlum, complexity is an overrated aspect. What I feel more important is the technical aspects, presentation, direction, soundness of the concept, writing etc. But that is only my personal preferance and may not apply to everyone.

Movies like totoro or spirited away are more for sensual pleasure and the experience rather than something like 'complexity of the story', which is a different kind of a storytelling, like monster or legend of galactic heroes. I guess what I'm trying to say is story and character development are relative aspects and not quantitative characteristics
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 25, 2011 8:32 AM
Feb 2011
actually this isnt a miyazaki movie

Miyazaki is listed as 'creator.' I imagine that means he wrote the script adaption, which given his notoriety, I doubt the director took that many liberties with. Miyazaki definitely had a hand in this.
Feb 26, 2011 1:03 PM

Sep 2008
hmm I checked ANN and it lists miyazaki in screenplay and storyboard as well as director for the fantasy sequences (from her book), although the chief director is yoshifumi kondo. I guess miyazaki did have a major role in the project.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Feb 26, 2011 1:13 PM

Sep 2008
cant see my post yet so I'll edit this later. Just wanted to add that Miyazaki cant technically be a 'creator' since its based on a shoujo manga by Aoi Hiiragi. I wasnt aware that miyazaki did the screenplay and storyboard though
May 15, 2011 5:41 PM
Aug 2007
Is it just me or was the bed sometimes right next to Tsukishima's desk and at other times it was a windows length away? That was really strange..

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, but I felt the second half was a bit rushed.. She was still only just showing her story to the old man, and I checked the time and there was only 10-20 minutes left >_<

I am a sucker for a good slice-of-life + romance so I liked it anyway..
May 16, 2011 2:22 PM

Oct 2010
Such a lovely movie this was, enjoyed every second of it.
May 22, 2011 2:58 PM

Dec 2009
Another great Ghibli movie, I can see why people feel like the ending was a little rushed, but either way I thought it was a very lovely movie, I liked it a lot.
Aug 25, 2011 6:39 AM

Aug 2011
Ghibli movies are one of the best ! This movie was great , but how did the two cats from the movie "The Cat Returns" end up there ? However the story was great . For me the best moment was when Shizuku gave the book to Seiji's grandfather and then she cried .
Sep 5, 2011 12:09 PM

Apr 2009
What a beautiful movie! I just watched a couple of Ghibli Movies this summer and really liked the pace and style of Ocean Waves.

But this movie.. I absolutely loved it !
Oct 23, 2011 2:47 PM

Apr 2008
I saw this a few years back but I forgot what it was all about, I remember loving it though. After re-watching it, this is definitely my favorite Ghibli movie, I loved every single moment.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Very overrated

xONLYINHUMANx - Jul 9, 2023

22 by KayKimii »»
Jul 13, 2023 9:43 PM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - May 2, 2009

12 by jamsndu84 »»
Jul 29, 2022 4:11 AM

» Where tf did yall watch this

doodlenoodle613 - Jun 12, 2021

20 by MrFanatic »»
May 13, 2022 7:11 PM

» Giving proper kudos to Yoshifumi Kondo

T-Wazoo - Dec 3, 2021

1 by iDenisade »»
Dec 3, 2021 9:25 PM

» OMG

Cloudrayne - May 31, 2007

41 by MoustacheDino »»
Jun 18, 2021 10:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.