Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 24, 2009 2:01 PM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Whoa. I can't believe Askeladd would willingly give his life away to Thorfinn. He died away though. This really reminded me of Berserk. Anyway I wonder how he'll continue to live the rest of his life. To kill the new King Canute for taking away his revenge or become a true warrior. I think either way watching war with the King is going to be in there.
Apr 24, 2009 2:08 PM

Jun 2007
Man the part with Thorfinn yelling at Askeladd really reminded me of the Ichigo vs Ulquirra post battle chat. Basically the same situation, bad guy defeated, hero complaining. Yet Vinland Saga pulled it off so much better

Sad heroic death is sad and heroic.
Apr 24, 2009 2:08 PM
Jun 2007
I think his uncle will find him or he might serve under canute for a duel ....just some guesses =]
Apr 24, 2009 4:01 PM

Jul 2007
sweet chapter! he might serve under Canute or become a rebel-badass of some sort.. at any rate, really excited to see which way he's gonna go from here.
Apr 24, 2009 10:35 PM

Jun 2008
Wow, it was difficult for me to see Askeladd (fav character) go down like that, he made such a great villain/anti-hero. Great to see Canute take charge once again and piss off Floki in the process. Who knows what Thorfinn will do now that he's lost his only reason for living? As always, can't wait for next chapter!
Apr 25, 2009 2:57 AM

May 2007
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
I still can't believe Askeladd died.. I loved this chapter! can't wait for the next one!!
Apr 25, 2009 4:14 AM

Mar 2007
This chapter was totally awesome, but I'm worried now. With Askeladd dead, can Thorfinn carry the show by himself?
Apr 25, 2009 4:21 AM
Feb 2008
what surprised me most is the title of the chapter "end of the prologue", what, is there gonna be a timeskip?
Apr 25, 2009 6:24 AM

Mar 2007
srskko said:
what surprised me most is the title of the chapter "end of the prologue", what, is there gonna be a timeskip?
A prologue doesn't necessarily have to be followed by a timeskip.
Apr 25, 2009 7:20 AM
Feb 2008
yFANTgirl said:
srskko said:
A prologue doesn't necessarily have to be followed by a timeskip.

well, you're right, but somehow it felt like there was gonna be one.
meh, maybe i'm just blabbering.
Apr 25, 2009 12:12 PM

Feb 2008
And there dies the only character I really cared about in this manga. Oh well looks like the rest will be pretty mediocre.
Forum signatures are annoying.
Apr 25, 2009 9:12 PM
Mar 2009
So he's gonna go to Canada now to fuck up some indians right?
May 10, 2009 6:31 AM

Mar 2009
Darn I'd really like to see how Thornfinn's family is doing. I really liked their characters.
May 22, 2009 5:06 PM

Apr 2009
Oh No Askeldad !!! How could he die like that ? :( His last words was touchy. After 10 years with Thorfinn they created weird bond thought. Poor Thorfinn...That was big shock. What will he do now... Now he had to change like the prince. Askeldad's death should make him open his eyes and think about his future. Actually i want him to visit his family.
May 27, 2009 9:32 AM

Sep 2008
Most crucial part of the story... and now I have to wait...
May 29, 2009 9:28 AM

Aug 2008
sunshinesan said:
Most crucial part of the stoy... and now I have to wait...

What? Why?
Jun 5, 2009 8:56 AM

May 2009
Poor Thorfinn, I wonder what he's going to do now.

When is the next chapter coming out?
Jan 11, 2010 4:21 PM

Nov 2009
Oh wow, Thorfinn must be so freakin pissed that someone else stole his vengeance and got away with it... But now I wonder what direction the story will take, Will Thorfinn go insane and it will follow Canute or will Thorfinn leave and it wll still follow Thorfinn.
Jun 15, 2010 1:57 PM

Oct 2009
I'm really curious about what'll happen next, what path will Thorfinn take now. It's a shame Askeladd died, one of the best characters here.
Jun 17, 2010 4:13 PM

Mar 2009
Indeed, he was my favorite character in this manga.

It's also kinda funny that no one on here was able to correctly guess what path Thorfinn would take next, in fact they all were way off. Guess it just goes to show the skill of the mangaka taking the unconventional path with this manga.
Sep 18, 2010 6:51 PM

Jan 2010
Oh...shit! Epic as hell turn of events. I was not expecting him to die there. But, I also was not expecting the manga to end as Thorfinn vs Askeladd. Would have been too easy to predict and that's one of the reasons why this manga is so great.
Sep 21, 2011 11:11 AM
Jul 2011
I really liked the relationship between Thorfinn and Askeladd.Didn't expect it to end so soon.
Feb 5, 2013 7:20 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Amazing. Just amazing. I wonder what Thorfinn will do next and what Canute has in store for him.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 1, 2013 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
Wow!Askelad dies, he was a pretty cool character.
Jul 3, 2013 1:22 AM

Jun 2008
fanty said:
This chapter was totally awesome, but I'm worried now. With Askeladd dead, can Thorfinn carry the show by himself?

Well there is Canute too. But truly Askeladd was carrying the plot until now with his awesomeness so the author must be careful.
I guess it really is time for Thorfinn to grow and start carrying a good part of the plot.
Also am still amazed that Thorfinn seems to not care about the other guy that payed to have his father killed even when his in the same room. He must know he is the one responsible. He saw him in the village and he also heard his father say his name when Askeladd was trying to kill him.
Sep 21, 2013 12:02 AM

Sep 2011
I wonder that Thorfinn is going to do from now on.
Oct 8, 2013 6:05 AM

Apr 2010
HELL NO!
Damn! He was my favorite character, I wasn't expecting this turn of events...!

I'm clueless to where the story will go from now.
Apr 14, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2013
Okay, this is it.

Askeladd is the best and most underrated character in existence.
May 27, 2014 8:35 PM

Jun 2010
mulderman said:
Man the part with Thorfinn yelling at Askeladd really reminded me of the Ichigo vs Ulquirra post battle chat. Basically the same situation, bad guy defeated, hero complaining. Yet Vinland Saga pulled it off so much better

Sad heroic death is sad and heroic.

Though the circumstances are VASTLY different, But hey that was one helluva chapter!
Aug 16, 2014 5:04 PM
Feb 2008
I guess I should have seen this coming. Askeladd was becoming a much more fleshed out character than Thorfinn or Canute.

He was by far my favorite character, so his death hurt a bit. It almost made me want to stop reading.
Dec 21, 2014 2:37 PM

Sep 2013
Holy crap, they just went and did it. The mangaka sure has his balls still left, because killing Askeladd sure takes them. I like it though, this will hopefully finally develop Thorfinn a little, which was much needed. He was slowly turning into a one note revenge shounen main character.
Jan 17, 2015 12:47 PM

Jan 2014
good-time said:
I'm really curious about what'll happen next, what path will Thorfinn take now. It's a shame Askeladd died, one of the best characters here.

That's right...
Jun 21, 2015 12:15 PM

Feb 2013
Askeladd went out like a real bro, not only saving his homeland but by putting Prince (or should I say, King) Canute over. Going forward, if this series going to hold up without him then Thorfinn will need to grow out of his edgy manchild phase. I wonder how that will work out.
Oct 21, 2015 5:26 PM

Apr 2014
Utopia, or 'somewhere far away and nice' seems to be the main theme of this manga. All the main characters desire it in some form or another.
Feb 10, 2016 8:03 PM

Dec 2013
RIP Askeladd. You were an amazing character.
May 31, 2016 11:30 AM

Mar 2008
amazing chapter.. rip askeladd, gonna miss him :(
Feb 27, 2017 4:39 AM

Dec 2015
Wow I actually expect Thorfinn to follow Leif back to Iceland and afterwards to go searching for Vinland. It as Askeladd's dying wish after all & at the moment he probably has no other option than to go with Leif...
Apr 7, 2017 4:10 AM

May 2014
Fuck Askeladd, don't leave us like that :(
Apr 8, 2017 8:30 PM

Oct 2014
Wow wow wow WOWZERS!!!! That was the perfect ending to such a bizarre, twisted, and inconceivably interesting relationship! I don't think I've seen something in any media quite like the Thorfinn and Askeladd dynamic; thank you Vinland Saga!!!
Jun 17, 2017 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
Fantastic chapter, so far Vinland saga has managed a perfect 10/10. So 54 chapters for prologue, so I guess this is where Thorfinn's journey actually starts now, finding his own place other than the obsession for revenge. RIP Askeladd, one of the memorable characters out there, loved his character as a whole.
Oct 8, 2017 9:50 AM

Jan 2016
Can't believe he actually died like this... it was an amazing plot twist but goddammit Askeladd was a great fuckin character.

RIP.
Dec 28, 2017 4:57 AM

Jul 2017
Askeladd is goat. His death kinda makes me lose interest in reading the rest because he was the best character by far to me. Askeladd went out like a boss saving Wales and Canute by killing that piece of shit who called himself a king and becoming the scapegoat. Even in his final moments he’s still giving Thorfinn advice.

Seeing Thorfinn distraught like that and attacking Canute was so unexpected. I swear Thorfinn & Askeladd’s complex relationship is one of the best I’ve ever read.

Prologue- 9.5/10, the reason I can’t give it a 10 is because Thorfinn was one dimensional and Canute’s development was too abrupt and unrealistic.
FlexstyleSep 9, 2019 6:10 AM
Mar 30, 2018 11:18 PM

Nov 2015
sniff .... well I certainly didn't see this one coming. In a way, he was almost like the true protagonist of this story.
It's a shame during his final days he lost everything: his crew, his only friend and now his life. Still, he went down with goddamn dignity and class, giving that piece of shit excuse for a king what for!

Rest in fucking peace Askeladd, you glorious bastard.
sugasweetnitmareApr 5, 2018 4:34 PM
✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

鼻をくすぐるGunpowder & Smoke
ジャララ飛び交うEmpty gun cartridges
紅いヒールに見惚れて うっかり風穴欲しいヤツは 挙手をしな

・゚✧*:・゚✧ 🍰 ଘ(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭* ੈ♡‧₊˚

✧༝┉˚*❋ ❋*˚┉༝✧

Nov 26, 2018 2:12 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Canute is the new king!!!! kekeke great turn in the events!!! kekeke
Jul 22, 2019 1:53 PM

Sep 2014
Damn, that's sad. Askeladd was a great character until the end. Thorfinn went full Subaru in that last panel lol
Aug 9, 2019 9:56 AM
Mar 2019
badboyhorang said:
I think his uncle will find him or he might serve under canute for a duel ....just some guesses =]
if it was for the ladder that would be so fucking stupid
Sep 7, 2019 12:05 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Did alot of binge reading today, from 28 to 59... this 54 chapter was AMAZING, you have to read and experience to get that attached, Askeladd is my favorite character so far, my being complain with the manga being that Thorfinn needs to improve alot, which I hope it does with this farm arc, which I m reading so far and it is quite good.

Again to this chapter, I just every that has happened in the last 2 chapters till now, really shocking, out of nowhere and it was just freaking insane.
Also very interested in the development Canute may have from this point forward because damm, that was brillaint of Askeladd.

He was so cunning and ruthless but even he had something he wanted to achieve and in the end he managed to not betray any of his believes.
Also when Thorfinn came in, you could see the despair on Askeladd face telling him to stay away, we all know in his own way Askeladd been caring and growing Thorfinn as a warrior, and that last comment he gave to Thorfinn, was something we could all see, he was too blind with revenge, to the point he would always lose his way in life after Askeladd died, which the later knew and this was the perfect execution to finish this amazing prologue.
I dunno if the manga will reach such highs again, but this little perfect conclusion is worth of a 10.
T_T

OG_Guts said:

Prologue- 9.5/10, the reason I can’t give it a 10 is because Canute’s development was to abrupt and unrealistic.

Understandable and a reasonable complain, had a similiar opinion too but the manga doesnt drag much there so it was never a problem for me, besides it was supposed to be a sudden change and so it was.
Canute had alot of emotional baggage itself that we arent fully aware, he just needed a trigger to change.
At first I was adamant to Canute since I cant forgive him for being such a cute trap (wanted some romantic stuff going, like the vulgar man I proudly am), but the mangaka did it good!
PlaycoolSep 7, 2019 12:10 PM
Oct 12, 2019 11:26 PM

Oct 2013
Damn, I never saw that death coming, still can't believe I stop reading the series when I was so close to the end of prologue for so many years now. Well, I finally finish the prologue at last.

Great chapter.
Oct 12, 2019 11:48 PM

Sep 2019
keragamming said:
Damn, I never saw that death coming, still can't believe I stop reading the series when I was so close to the end of prologue for so many years now. Well, I finally finish the prologue at last.

Great chapter.
So how great was the prologue.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Oct 13, 2019 12:16 AM

Oct 2013
Peeti said:
keragamming said:

Great chapter.
So how great was the prologue.

It was great overall and I am looking forward to the farm arc, as I have heard both positive and negative opinion on it, going in with a open mind.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 210 Discussion

RodIshiCi - Yesterday

15 by Silverbell_Ranch »»
4 hours ago

» vinland saga manga is ending soon

deg - Apr 13

7 by deg »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

74 by jgreene »»
Apr 18, 9:12 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 209 Discussion

ryzxgum - Feb 23

22 by TheMangaManiac »»
Apr 15, 4:41 PM

» Some great music to listen to while reading?

Ghoultulhu - Aug 26, 2015

8 by enigmasauce »»
Apr 5, 8:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.