3It was OK
11.6%
2Disliked it
1.8%
1Hated it
1.2%
Average 4.3
164 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 10, 2009 7:08 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ein's more skillful than Zwei! She can shoot for that far of direction!
tsubasaloverJul 16, 2009 6:46 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 10, 2009 10:20 AM

Feb 2008
You didn't wrote anything.
Well now we know that Ein is alive.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 10, 2009 11:39 AM

May 2009
Blackbird said:
Well now we know that Ein is alive.

I think we always knew that would be the case... Never for a minute thought that she had died.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Jul 10, 2009 1:47 PM

Jan 2009
Quick spoiler summary:

o Reiji is shaken about Elen's appearance - he's still convinced to have killed her

o Godoh Daisuke is calling in some more yakuza mobsters to give him some muscle

o Claudia is still convinced that Wisemel is behind the assassinations and orders Reiji (who failed the protection mission) to come up with an approach to counter Wisemel's likely impending assassination attempt to screw up the entry of the Godoh Group in Inferno

o Cal continues to exhibit some amazing skills by tinkering around with the Steyr Aug she found in Reiji's apartment. Reiji decides to enlist her as assistant for the counter-sniper mission.

o During their scouting of the meeting location surroundings, Reiji purchases the pocket watch of doom for Cal, who is ecstatic about the gift. Hearing the familiar haunting tune as background music really makes me feel all nostalgic... and boy, did Noir steal it from PoI, too.

o Cal and Reiji believe they've found the most likely sniper spot and set themselves up as counter-sniper team. Godoh Group/Inferno negotiations start, Reiji is operating the rifle, Cal is lookout - and indeed, she manages to spot the attacking sniper

o Reiji is shaken whether or not the sniper might be Elen, so he can't get himself to fire blindly without identifying her/him. Therefore he purposely misses the first shot to force the enemy sniper out of hiding. It turns out to be Wisemel's right-hand goon, and they trade shots, resulting in a cheek-grazed Reiji and dead goon.

o Believing that the danger is averted, they relax - and another shot from a far far away range smashes through the glass of the negotiation room and pulverizes the head of a statue right beside Godoh Daisuke's head (who himself remains unharmed).

o The attacker used a fairly gigantic anti-tank rifle to snipe from over 1500 yards - and it turns out to be Elen, who signs off with a "Mission accomplished, Master". End of episode. But not of the scene, which will continue in episode 16.
MentarJul 10, 2009 1:50 PM
Jul 10, 2009 4:21 PM

Nov 2007
Blackbird said:

Yeah, sorry that I didn't write anything.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 12, 2009 5:47 AM

Aug 2008
It's getting more and more boring from episode to episode ('hello Noir'). Nothing spectacular you couldn't came up with.
Jul 12, 2009 6:05 AM

Feb 2009
I don't see the similarities to Noir at all anymore. Outside of the main characters being assassins. And the brass pocketwatch in this episode.
Jul 12, 2009 6:28 AM

Jun 2009
Meh episode, the series is slowing down bad. The only important development of this episode is that Ein/Elen is indeed alive and back to her old brainwashed self.
Jul 12, 2009 8:41 AM

Aug 2008
Cheesyhoboe said:
I don't see the similarities to Noir at all anymore.

Phantom just started boring me similar way Noir did (and same studio, director, etc analogy).
Jul 12, 2009 9:00 AM
Dec 2007
Hmmm Elen should have just died back then, it's just totally illogical that she's alive and back, and it doesn't make the script progress at all. Except that Cal will one day confront her and Ryuji will have to choose between them, but we all knew it the moment the young girl appeared on screen and we all know how it will end if we have seen Noir/Madlax/Cazador/Avenger etc... And too bad the direction and animation are both going down too. Average episode.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 12, 2009 9:08 AM

Feb 2009
It's kind of funny to see people make constant predictions about this anime which always turn out wrong, especially since I've already played the visual novel and already know everything that happens.
Jul 12, 2009 9:16 AM

Oct 2008
Too much of the episode was really slow. I liked the end though, just when he thinks it is safe, the huge anti tank rifle fires, although kind of disappointing that she didn't actually kill someone (i guess she didn't need to though).

I still think cal is an extremely annoying character though.

Elen had about as much chance to live as Reiji if you think about it, probably more so. both got shot in the body, more or less. Reiji also fell in to the water which would decrease his chances. Elen was in the middle of a battlefield, but scythe master could have carried her off.

I do hope you're right cheesyhoboe, i do hope so.
Jul 12, 2009 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
Well not bad but the pace of the series is now kind of slow. I would have preferred Elen to be dead though I didn't want her to become like Lira of Tytania with the main hero obsessing about her in every episode.
Jul 12, 2009 9:45 AM

Jan 2009
J3T said:
Meh episode, the series is slowing down bad. The only important development of this episode is that Ein/Elen is indeed alive and back to her old brainwashed self.

I don't quite see the slowdown, particularly since the first chapter around Ein took much longer while having no more "action" at all.

Some more food for thoughts you missed to mention:

1) What was Wisemel's right hand man Randy Weber doing there, sniping at the meeting? Think about Wisemel's "che!" reaction, too.

2) Why is SM working for Shiga, and at the same time ordering Ein to put a bullet through the statue head next to Daisuke?
Jul 12, 2009 9:55 AM

Jan 2008
my fanboy wants: more Elen please~.
Jul 12, 2009 9:57 AM

Jul 2008
tsubasalover said:
Blackbird said:

Yeah, sorry that I didn't write anything.

LOL XD

anyways looks like Eln IS ALIVE OMG !!! O.o
as expected.

Mentar said:

1) What was Wisemel's right hand man Randy Weber doing there, sniping at the meeting? Think about Wisemel's "che!" reaction, too.

Wisemel probably wanted his guy to kill the uh the Daisuke guy , to prevent Cludia from getting the support.

Mentar said:

2) Why is SM working for Shiga, and at the same time ordering Ein to put a bullet through the statue head next to Daisuke?

SM working for Shiga , not sure but I guess it's a way for SM to destroy Inferno. The reason why Ein shot the head of the statue was to show that she can easily have killed anyone in there, and bring fear into the conference braking the relationship between Inferno and the Japanese guys. The reason why Daisuke was not killed by Ein was cuz i guess Shiga is still loyal to Daisuke and doesnt want him dead, so i assume he requested SM to not kill him <_<
Jul 12, 2009 10:29 AM

Nov 2007
is it just me or did elen make that shot through a building?
the masochist says "hurt me! hurt me!" the sadist replies "no"
Jul 12, 2009 11:19 AM

Mar 2008
Nice one
i guess hitting the statue was just a show that they could have killed him, just to show them what they can do.
Looking at the muzzle and appaerance of the gun it looks like a barett sniper rifle but i'm no expert at this :D
At least Wisemel will get killed next apisode it's clear his right-hand was also conspiring against the Godoh group hence against Claudia

MAL list updates
Jul 12, 2009 11:42 AM

Sep 2007
The preview has got me curious o___o
there was a screenshot of McGuire with blood on himself...WHO'S IS IT?!?! O__O

anyway...ep felt a little too much on the relaxing side a bit....but Reiji has convinced me that Cal IS some sort of genius..........though probably not with assassinations...

And Shiga is starting to REALLY annoy me D=
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jul 12, 2009 12:13 PM

May 2009
Hopefully Reiji will be able to compose himself now that he's basically confirmed that Elen is still alive.

That weapon looked like it weighs as much if not more than Elen.

Not finding Cal annoying whatsoever. She's proven to be quite skillful and sharp, yet her emotions seem pretty reasonable given her age and cirmcustances.
Jul 12, 2009 12:32 PM

Jul 2009
ArcticMech said:
Hopefully Reiji will be able to compose himself now that he's basically confirmed that Elen is still alive.

That weapon looked like it weighs as much if not more than Elen.

Not finding Cal annoying whatsoever. She's proven to be quite skillful and sharp, yet her emotions seem pretty reasonable given her age and cirmcustances.

Yeah, completely agree about Cal usefulness. Judging form the preview, seems like she will go emo for some reason, fingers crossed while hoping nothing bad will happen to her, not after she was being so insanely CUTE in this ep, all worrying like a lil sister over Reiji's wound. x333333

LOL, seems like Claudia's charisma was too much to handle that the Godoh dude completely fell for her charm & ended up defending her with the lame excuse of tattoo business. xDDDDD

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Jul 12, 2009 12:56 PM

Sep 2007
That's one big ass gun Elen was using.
Jul 12, 2009 1:02 PM

Dec 2008
Things are starting to get exciting (imo). I hope there's not going to be a tragic ending for one of the main characters but i guess it could happen. well...guess i'll find out later in the show.
Jul 12, 2009 1:14 PM

Jun 2008
This episode was kinda slow.
The preview got me interested in what gonna happen next.
Jul 12, 2009 2:00 PM

Feb 2008
I don't understand Elen continued loyalty to Scythe. Has she completely forgotten who abandoned her when she was injured, and who nursed her back to health. Or is she so weak that he's completely brain washed her again into now thinking Reiji is the enemy?
Jul 12, 2009 2:03 PM

Feb 2009
filler/boring epd, we already know that ein's alive. No need for reintroductions.

it was nice to see cal develop more though.
Jul 12, 2009 2:57 PM

Feb 2009
"Filler"? Sigh... This episode is absolutely crucial to the plot. It's the pivoting point in this arc. Whatever, I don't feel like spoiling anything.
Jul 12, 2009 3:28 PM

Jan 2009
Cheesyhoboe said:
"Filler"? Sigh... This episode is absolutely crucial to the plot. It's the pivoting point in this arc. Whatever, I don't feel like spoiling anything.

Well, letsee what happened:

1) Claudia is expecting Wisemel to assassinate Daisuke to prevent the Godoh Group from joining

2) Wisemel's right hand is exposed and killed while sniping Daisuke

3) Reiji is totally shaken about the off-chance that Elen might still be alive, so he even risks his sorry ass by openly standing up and intentionally missing the first shot to confirm the identity of the sniper BEFORE taking him out (one of the critical flag decisions in the game)

4) There's still ANOTHER sniper - Ein - who accomplished her mission by taking out a roman statue next to Daisuke, and who signs off to SM.

Except for that, we get some important background info on how the Godoh Group is ticking, and some relevant bonding with Cal, who has become an anchor for some sanity for Reiji.

So - yea. Looks totally like a filler to me *rolls eyes*

The funny/sad thing at the same time is that I can almost understand how people can consider this ep boring: They totally don't use their brain to acknowledge the background plot. The "Ein" times were so beautifully simple and straightforward. Only the "now" mattered, not the "why" or "what next?" - and by now, the story has become too complicated for them.

A shame.
Jul 12, 2009 3:30 PM

Jul 2008
anyway...ep felt a little too much on the relaxing side a bit....but Reiji has convinced me that Cal IS some sort of genius..........though probably not with assassinations...

Her assasination skills:

1. Enginering - never know when this may be needed
2. Precision - for such a young girl, it is amazing that she can be so precise and not be taken back by recoiling
3. Shooting with one hand - Reiji and Ellen usually need to shoot with two hands in order to be precise (they rarely and only in need use one hand). With less then an hour training, Cal is already able to shoot with one hand precisely and without being taken back by gun's recoil. A hell, she hit two bricks that way
4. Awareness and intelligence - for her first time, she managed to guess where an assasin would shoot (not one of Ellen's level, but thats too early for Cal) and notice the surroundings to confirm it

All those skills are usable in assasinations and she has shown during the gun training and in this ep that she is gifted. Reiji needed much more time then she had to reach that level and Ellen already mentioned that she needed much more time then Reiji to be trained.

filler/boring epd, we already know that ein's alive. No need for reintroductions.

During this arc, I noticed that people often judge the usefulness of the episode by how much Ellen appears. For the love of the God, she is NOT the only character and is just one of the mains.
This episode developed Cal and set things up betewen Inferno and that Japanesse mafia which will no doubt be important for the rest of the storyline. We also got to see what type of person that Dragon-tatoo guy is and since he is the leader of the Japanesse mafia, that may also be important later on.
Jul 12, 2009 3:39 PM

Dec 2008
I sort of thought that Elen would be alive somehow and didn't surprise me much. I think she will still follow her master then go back with Reiji. Great episode.
Jul 12, 2009 3:42 PM

Jul 2009
Nayrael said:
During this arc, I noticed that people often judge the usefulness of the episode by how much Ellen appears. For the love of the God, she is NOT the only character and is just one of the mains.

Well said, who gives a f'king damn care about some emotionless doll unless her fans are hardcore Nagato Yuki's fans which I strongly suspect to be the case. Elen can go die in some f'king hole & I still enjoy the show as much as is now with Reiji & his harem including: a Loli, a Milf, & er...a Lizzie, dont know how to classify her type, I guess.

Jul 12, 2009 3:48 PM

Aug 2008
Didn't care for the episode. Very slow, and only a piece of dialogue from Shiga, Cal, and Reiji were useful outside of the end. The whole montage of Reiji and Cal scouting/shopping was useless. But the music that played as Godoh went up the steps and into the meeting was good.
Jul 12, 2009 4:00 PM

Feb 2009
Did I see Mcguire getting shot in the preview?! I wonder when Ein and Reiji will meet again so that he can get this doubt out of his system. I didn't find the episode boring but I'm a bit annoyed by Cal and her voice. She's too cute and sweet it's like having honey with some sugar on top.

Jul 12, 2009 4:09 PM

Jul 2008
The whole montage of Reiji and Cal scouting/shopping was useless.

*sigh* It served as developmen't for Cal, one of the three main characters of the show. Her role in the story is NOT to be show's loli as many people here started thinking the moment she was introduced.

Did I see Mcguire getting shot in the preview?!

We just saw blood on him. As far as we know, Sychte Master might jump in playing a violin and then be sniped by Reiji which would result in his blood spilling over McGuire.

I didn't find the episode boring but I'm a bit annoyed by Cal and her voice. She's too cute and sweet it's like having honey with some sugar on top.

In shows like Phantom, thats forshadowing.
Jul 12, 2009 4:17 PM

Aug 2008
Nayrael said:

*sigh* It served as developmen't for Cal, one of the three main characters of the show. Her role in the story is NOT to be show's loli as many people here started thinking the moment she was introduced.

What was developed? We already knew she was cunning. If anything, it was further characterizing Cal, but I felt like it was restating what we already knew.
Jul 12, 2009 4:26 PM

Aug 2008
This could have been a nice episode, I don't even have complaints about the pace as it is still 100x better than Noir, but in the last few minutes the story took a left turn on Amateur street and Bananas..again. Jumping up and waving that rifle around coz "omg it could be Eren, the undead". If it was your Eren, you'd be dead, but lucky for you, she did her job right.. unlike someone else.

It's funny how Cal is almost as good if not better than our great hero (who supposed to be the prodigy in this setup) with close to no training.
Jul 12, 2009 4:27 PM

Feb 2009
noteDhero said:

What was developed? We already knew she was cunning. If anything, it was further characterizing Cal, but I felt like it was restating what we already knew.

It's a scene that doesn't become important until much later on.
Jul 12, 2009 4:44 PM

Mar 2009
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

-godoh group (his second hand man) is the one that is killing them off..
-Cal becomes more emotional for zwei (same for zwei)
-Zwei goes a bit insane, and can not kill elen, but .. it seems ONE sided ;]
-Elen is brainwashed way more... :]
-Wisemel wants the godoh group not join, but failed but the "godoh group side guy" doesnt want to join the inferno, PASSED and now.. godoh group is not joining ;[

I MIGHT BE WRONG about the godoh group (second hand man) thing
Jul 12, 2009 5:06 PM

Jul 2009
noteDhero said:
Didn't care for the episode. Very slow, and only a piece of dialogue from Shiga, Cal, and Reiji were useful outside of the end. The whole montage of Reiji and Cal scouting/shopping was useless. But the music that played as Godoh went up the steps and into the meeting was good.

Since you didnt play the game, you cant say that Reiji & Cal scouting/shopping were useless because it will serve as connection to the future arcs which I have to refrain from spoiling any further.

Also, through my serie spectator's viewpoint, I honestly think the shopping scene was still not useless at all since it shows the caraterization of Reiji & Cal, how Cal got attached more & more to Reiji & vice versa. In case you bother to watch the preview, you will notice that they might get into trouble soon hence we get the shopping scene as foreshadowing. Please be patient 'til next ep & you will see my point & whether the scene is "useless" or not.

Jul 12, 2009 5:51 PM

Jan 2009
is it just me, or does Zwei kind of look like a pervert while their out on their little stroll and he smiles like that? >.> anyways, not a bad episode, but not good either, since it was pretty slow and not much happened really.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 12, 2009 6:06 PM

Oct 2008
bubbleboy352 said:
is it just me or did elen make that shot through a building?

No, they clearly showed a straight line between the window Elen used and the hole in the glass (check 21:11 if you have doubts)

Great Episode btw
Jul 12, 2009 6:25 PM

Jul 2009
Oosran said:
is it just me, or does Zwei kind of look like a pervert while their out on their little stroll and he smiles like that? >.> anyways, not a bad episode, but not good either, since it was pretty slow and not much happened really.

And here I thoght I was the only one noticing that & shhh... you're too loud, you will awake those who secretly ship for the lolicon pairing: Reiji x Cal, you know ?

Jul 12, 2009 6:27 PM

Jan 2009
abrasicu said:
Oosran said:

And here I thoght I was the only one noticing that & shhh... you're too loud, you will awake those who secretly ship for the lolicon pairing: Reiji x Cal, you know ?
oh I see what you did thar
oh well 'nuff said about that anyway : p
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 12, 2009 7:56 PM

Jun 2007
Pretty decent episode. Pretty predictable but good non the less.

PS. Was Claudia's dead b/f a member of the Japanese mafia or American mafia? When what's his name is talking about his dragon tattoo it seemed like he was talking about a real tattoo on her back but then it changed to figuratively speaking.. so I'm curious if Claudia has past ties with them.
Jul 12, 2009 8:18 PM
May 2008
This episode was a little bit disappointing but overall not too bad. The strengthening of Cal and Reiji's relationship seems to be heavy foreshadowing of something bad happening to Cal in the next few episodes... or maybe it's just me.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 12, 2009 8:40 PM

Jan 2009
"Hai, Mastah" Shut the fuck up bitch.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 12, 2009 8:53 PM

Jul 2008
For me this episode dragged
Jul 12, 2009 9:27 PM

May 2009
Pretty slow episode, but I still liked it. Nice to see Elen's face again. Also, that was a big weapon she was using.
Cal's really cute too - I like how she and Reiji are getting along well together.
Jul 12, 2009 10:05 PM

Jul 2009
Tamaki-san said:
"Hai, Mastah" Shut the fuck up bitch.

+++++++

Jul 12, 2009 10:09 PM

May 2009
I feel like they could hurry it up a bit but overall it was decent. Not the best episode by far, but i believe it was necessary. Someone mentioned something about the shot going through a building, and someone else said no... but i think it must have because that shot showing where the shooter was did not move in a straight line. It noticeably curved around a building. Note i assume this is not Wanted and that bullets fly straight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nayrael - Aug 13, 2009

272 by TankerNejla »»
Apr 29, 9:01 AM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Sep 24, 2009

628 by __FK__ »»
Apr 15, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jul 16, 2009

145 by defaulticus »»
Mar 23, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Phantom Requiem for the Phantom Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Mikiyo - Apr 3, 2009

171 by defaulticus »»
Mar 17, 3:51 PM

» Phantom: Requiem for the phantom. Visual Novel endings.

Jimmy2233 - Sep 26, 2013

5 by ALCYON3US »»
Feb 9, 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.