Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2009 4:19 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Best episode yet! Seems like the real action all starts here. Poor Rosie w/ her flash backs and all. Loved the new OP not so sure about the ending though.
Jul 5, 2009 12:30 AM

Mar 2009
A-1 studios screw things up!
Jul 5, 2009 5:36 PM

Dec 2007
Even though it was pretty obvious since the barious ruins, lol @ the OP spoiler.
Ah well, I've played the game countlesss of times so I don't really care.
Yay for AliciaxWelkin at the end of the OP though. ^___^

I really liked the episode though, nice action and character interaction. Just when I thought that the darcsens would fare better in the anime than in the game they all get bombed. ;_;

I liked that change though, it gives more room for more Faldio character development.
Jul 5, 2009 6:37 PM

Jan 2009
5/5 for this episode. I liked the non stop action.

But, I decided to watch the OP, and wow, there seemed to be a lot of spoilers. I haven't played the game so I don't know what happens, but there was a lot of crazy stuff like the very last picture and why does Alicia have this......:

Meh_93Jul 5, 2009 6:50 PM
Jul 5, 2009 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
it was great, especially the fact that they changed the script to have the main character's feel more guilty about imperials massacring Darcens. Made it more dramatic than the game.

it seems next ep is a filler, focusing on Isara x Ramal (is that how u spell his name?). good set up for what's going to happen later. i bet on ep 17, "that" is going to happen. (ppl with games you know what im talking about)

and yeah, i like the opening and ending (especially the opening, altho ending fits the mood much better), but man, WTF? a huge spoiler.
Jul 5, 2009 8:04 PM

Sep 2007
Aside from the fail OP spoiler, it was a decent episode. Seems like Isara will finally confront Rosie over her Darcsen hate?
Jul 5, 2009 8:20 PM

Apr 2009
AGH I shouldn't have clicked the discuss button. ;_; I didn't even realize (that's what you get for watching the opening while eating dinner) the spoilers. But now I do. :/
I'm so stupid.
Jul 5, 2009 8:20 PM

Dec 2008
Good episode, but as said before, the OP is what ruins the fun.

But listen to this. If you look at the last picture of the ED, the one with all of Squad 7, Faldio is nowhere to be seen. I haven't played the game, but this raises my expectation of his death to about 90%
Jul 5, 2009 9:05 PM

May 2008
Agh, that OP kills me.
Jul 5, 2009 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
wow faldio is really starting to clash with welkin. Welkin was kind of at a loss there, but that was kind of harsh. Still, if it gets welkin to stop treating Alicia indifferently like she was a character in some harem crap, it would be worth it.
Jul 5, 2009 9:59 PM

Sep 2008
we all knew that alicia was a valkyria( it wa sobious even with out playing the game) but do they have to tell us so early!!? wtf
wow faldio without a good idea to save the day + i think it was faldio`s fault for the death of the dearcsens(dunno how to write this)
empire`s demon defeated yeah!!
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 5, 2009 11:21 PM

Apr 2009
i figured a long time ago that this anime probably has something to do with valkyries because of its title.. but i didn't know that it literally has something to do with valkyries, as in with the lance and shield stuff.. darn that spoilerful op..

anyway.. nice episode.. too bad it was not a complete victory because the darcsens were bombed..
Jul 6, 2009 12:46 AM
Apr 2008
Dang, the faults keep on piling up, huh? So there's a huge spoiler in the new OP (even though it is nice, the OP that is not the spoiler). The new ED is also quite nice as well.
This episode is pretty good, better than the past few that we've had. I'd like to see more of the battles that actually take place in the game, but seeing that this show has always given top priority to a distorted plot line and love triangle instead of trying to be more in tune with the game, I doubt there will be many battles straight out of the game (which is such a shame).
The next episode seems to be purely based in the barracks of Gallia, which isn't a bad thing except for the fact that less than 10 characters are focused on and its completely pointless filler. The series is still OK though, :-\
Jul 6, 2009 1:47 AM
Dec 2007
The new OP is extremely well animated. On the other hand, is it a giant spoiler or what, I haven't played the game and I see things that seem totally outrageous to me at this point of the scenario? Concerning the ED, it was obviously far better than the first (but what can honestly be weaker?).

The episode itself was quite good actually with a nice dilemma and lots of action. It was interesting, even if it seems like the next episode will be far less dramatic and very anticlimactic (how can you follow such a morally complex decision by a funny/victory celebration episode? I don't understand).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 6, 2009 3:50 AM

Mar 2009
Good episode although I hate how they have made Welkin so much dumber and weirder than he was in the game.
Jul 6, 2009 8:52 AM

Oct 2008
I had never imagine, that OP can spoil so much. :| But I loled at Alicia at same time. :P It's like they don't give a damn about ppl who didn't play the game... And I hate when they force the drama using bystanders/innocent characters who have nothing to do with the main story, because it feels like they had to die just to rise the drama...
Jul 6, 2009 9:44 AM

Jul 2008
I liked this episode but not very much. Of course opening was a disaster with all this spoilers but in all,this was well done ep. Damn, I prefer Alicia and Faldio couple but she will be with Welkin.Oh,whatever....
Jul 6, 2009 11:30 AM

Feb 2009
The real Spoiler was when they were with the Princess and she said that Alicia was a true descendant of the Valkyrie. At least that what I got out of it.
Jul 6, 2009 11:45 AM
Mar 2009
OP spoilers.... i didnt even want to know that stuff yet....

good episode.... gregor sacrificed the darcsens to try to stop the attack... bastard....
well he dies.. and thats what he deserves

True or False
Anime + Manga = Chuck Norris / Chuck Norris
Jul 6, 2009 11:56 AM

Jul 2008
soo new op and new ed
from all the comments i have read looks like there was quite a bit of spoilers
o wells guess we have to wait
preview doesnt looks so bad either cant wait for next week
Jul 6, 2009 12:58 PM

Aug 2008
I definitley don't think it's a spoiler since they've been alluding to it since the first battle in the forest. Also...this is based off of a game, so of course they would have the main character super powered when such a nature exists in the setting.

All that said, this was a pretty good episode. But I do have to wonder if the explosive would have gone off without a hitch if Zaka had put them down with BOTH EYES OPEN!!
Jul 6, 2009 1:43 PM

May 2009
Awesome new opening. I didn't mind the spoilers at all. Expected Alicia to become a valkyrie or have valkyria blood in her or something anyways..

Awesome episode. Poor Darcsen people! ;_;

Awesome new ending with Alicia in a swimsuit.
Jul 6, 2009 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
noteDhero said:
But I do have to wonder if the explosive would have gone off without a hitch if Zaka had put them down with BOTH EYES OPEN!!

lmao
Jul 6, 2009 6:48 PM

May 2009
Most interesting episode to date. First time Welken's been at a loss during a crucial point in battle. Would it have made a difference if he wasn't so preoccuopied with Alicia X Faldio? Nice move Faldio in playing the part of hero in saving Alicia. Bad move Faldio for making the predicable move and costing lives. Isara continues to be magnificent, salvaging a win from what looked to be a total disaster.
Jul 6, 2009 11:48 PM

Apr 2009
Seriously! What is up with all these spoiler on here?!?!? I mean I know the OP was a bit of a spoiler but geeze couldn't you all just tone it down a bit for those who don't have much of an idea about what will be happening to who. Sheesh!
Jul 7, 2009 12:53 AM

Jun 2009
The attack on the train on foot didn't make any sense, all Faldio had to do was to wait a bit for the tank to come up. Despite that, I enjoyed this episode.
Jul 7, 2009 1:03 AM

Dec 2007
good impressive OP, i like it, they made Alicia more bad-ass but what a spoiler, bad OP spoiler, bad. tho they animators think that almost everyone has played the game

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

Jul 7, 2009 2:08 AM

May 2008
Best episode yet! Seems like the real action all starts here. Poor Rosie w/ her flash backs and all. Loved the new OP not so sure about why they put big spoilers <.<
Jul 7, 2009 2:35 AM

Apr 2008
wow ... wat an opening song o_o

pure innocent citizens

Jul 7, 2009 3:46 AM

May 2008
best fight i had seen in a long time, sadly the ppl DIED

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 7, 2009 1:07 PM

Jan 2009
awesome opening
Jul 7, 2009 7:39 PM

Feb 2009
Finally an episode that didn't get me bored to death. They did this differently from the game and it's great, I prefer it this way. I just hope they keep this up and the show gets a bit more serious, instead of showing us Squad 7 doing... well nothing. I know it's Valkyria but this is still an anime with war as it's main theme (at not any war), if I wanted to watch a 'slice of life' show I would've chosen something else.

The new OP is nice, the animation is great and, sure they spoiled the fact that Alicia is Valkyrur but who cares. The new ED isn't bad either, I prefer it to the first ED with "chibis for the lulz" .
Jul 8, 2009 7:19 AM

Sep 2007
at 12:00-13:00

wth.. Tanks doesn't have 0 second reload time
Anime are getting sillier and sillier
and this show too...

p.s. There goes my favorite general <.<
heJul 8, 2009 7:28 AM
JOIN ZERO REQUIEM

Jul 9, 2009 1:12 AM

Jul 2008
UGH THE OP. I kind of saw it coming, since main characters always get special treatment and have power levels of over 9000 BUT I didn't need the OP telling me. And their sparkly glowing lances are making this seem more mecha-esque than with the tanks.

Anyway I think I'm going for this whole Isara x tsundere!Ramal thing now. Even if the latter is anime-only? Oh well.
Jul 9, 2009 7:39 AM

Nov 2008
Poor Rosie, I really felt for her in this ep. She's my third favorite female, only because no one other than the better Isara and Alicia have gotten lines or plot...

Whoever said earlier that something is gonna happen around episode 17, I agree. I've been trying to place that moment for a while.
Jul 9, 2009 8:27 PM

Apr 2009
Great episode.... but like everyone said props to the OP and the spoilers for those whom have not played the game nor read the manga.
Jul 10, 2009 6:33 AM
Mar 2009
Lol at spoiler OP.
Well they made the battle much more dramatic in the anime by adding the death of all the Darcsens. I guess it makes the war seem more gruesome and high stakes.
And the ED seems to imply that they will have "the scene."
Jul 10, 2009 11:25 PM

Mar 2009
ArcticMech said:
Bad move Faldio for making the predicable move and costing lives.
AgressoR said:
The attack on the train on foot didn't make any sense, all Faldio had to do was to wait a bit for the tank to come up.

I think i should remind you that what Faldio did may have been the right choice despite the deaths of the prisoners. It was already stated earlier by Largo that if they didn't completed the mission quickly, the mines would still be under Imperial control & all of what the Militia been fighting for would be a lost cause & the prisoners will be more horribly treated by the Imperials.

Welkin was indecisive on what to do next, so Faldio immediately took over command to save the Militia before Gregor could kill them.

and as quoted from MeoTwister 5 from animesuki:
"I think we also need to take into consideration that Faldio could only work with the information he had at that given time, and only had mere minutes to make a decision. Unlike today's military that's rather spoiled with long distance communication, satellite imagery, unmanned recon drones and the like, he had to work with nothing more than line-of-sight and sketchy outdated intel. He made the best decision one could make given his situation, heck it could be argued he saved more lives than were lost, so he can't really be faulted for making this decision under fire."

So what Faldio did was not the wrong choice, but the best choice which lead them to victory but at the price of the prisoner's killed by Gregor.
Jul 11, 2009 7:48 PM

Nov 2006
Boo @ Faldio turning into a bastard.
Jul 12, 2009 9:33 AM

Feb 2009
The new opening is nice, but wtf is up with Alicia's new power? XD I don't get that at all since I haven't played the game. And I liked the AliciaxFaldio moment, but I blame Faldio for getting the Darcsens killed.
Jul 12, 2009 4:38 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Come on, I guessed that Alicia was probably a Valkyria since the episode they introduced Selvaria and her powers (without palying the game) At that time, I thought: "So Alicia is probably going end up as a Valkyria" since why else would the series' name be VALKYRIA chronicles. The chances of Selvaria turning into protagonist is close to zero. And when Alicia mentioned that she was an orphan and when the Ruin reacted when when she touched the door made my suspicions stronger.....So I wasn't surprised by the OP.

I guess that everyone here must feel the same way (that Alicia's Valkyria origin wasn't a big shock) In my opinion, it's a pretty cliche development.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 13, 2009 2:41 AM

May 2008
wakka9ca said:
Come on, I guessed that Alicia was probably a Valkyria since the episode they introduced Selvaria and her powers (without palying the game) At that time, I thought: "So Alicia is probably going end up as a Valkyria" since why else would the series' name be VALKYRIA chronicles. The chances of Selvaria turning into protagonist is close to zero. And when Alicia mentioned that she was an orphan and when the Ruin reacted when when she touched the door made my suspicions stronger.....So I wasn't surprised by the OP.

I guess that everyone here must feel the same way (that Alicia's Valkyria origin wasn't a big shock) In my opinion, it's a pretty cliche development.

right on.
Jul 13, 2009 7:46 PM

May 2008
wakka9ca said:

Haha. It's not about the obviousness of the reveal. The problem with the OP is that it's revealing information not yet relevant to the viewer's understanding of the character or plot. Hence, by definition, it spoils those later developments.

It's easy to see this by looking at the difference between the OP's reveal and a flash-forward. Flash-forwards are often used to create suspense -- how is a character going to get to a future point. However, because we're dealing with a "secret" origin here before it's relevant to a viewer's understanding of the plot, the function is exactly the opposite, eliminating suspense if you already suspected her origin and ruining a future surprise if you hadn't. In either case, this is undeniably lame shit!
chicanerousJul 13, 2009 7:56 PM
Jul 14, 2009 5:30 AM

Feb 2008
Nice episode, but unfortunately it happened to me as well:

I GOT SPOILED.....Call the medic! ;]
Jul 15, 2009 9:43 AM

Nov 2007
supreme episode. glad to see the old man go.
Jul 15, 2009 4:17 PM

Jun 2008
It was unexpectedly a good episode.
Jul 15, 2009 9:06 PM

Jul 2008
Good episode and epic opening.
Even without the op spoiling I tough it wasn't hard to guess since at the start it say that Valkyria defeated a greedy man who took everything for himself, right off the start I though they were refering at Alicia defeating Maximilius but it look I was wrong, at least I knew she had a link to Valkyria if she wasn't her herself.

Haven't played the game but it sure make me want to try it.
Jul 17, 2009 12:51 AM

Jan 2008
Nice episode. Love the action. Great new OP and ED. They sound much nicer but the visual spoiled the story and reduce suspense. Some scenes to remember by -

Tense scene: timing in bombing the railroad/train track.
Sweet scene: Faldio and Alicia moment
Sad scene/decision: Faldio took the upper command. End result - sacrificed the Darcsen citizens
Jul 20, 2009 8:15 AM

Jun 2008
The hell was this about?

The battle tactics were utter crap! That bridge is so damn vulnerable at the basement, why do they put the explosives on the rails at the top? What do they want with an artillery train at close combat?? (The train cannon can not be fired at that angle without derailing it completely.) And so on.. damn, someone please shoot the story writer or at least give him basic combat and physics training.

And Welkin was a wuss all episode long. This was so not Squard 7 like at all. How they won with this kind of crappy tactics is beyond me, but I guess it has to do with the fact that the Imperials were complete nuts too.

Please stop the BS in the next episodes, it's kind of painful to watch.
Jul 22, 2009 5:56 AM

Jul 2008
This was a good episode, although I have grown accustomed to the non-combat episodes. Rosie's charge seemed rather anticlimactic, but at least Alicia looked extra cute for a few seconds there.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Sep 26, 2009

195 by Playcool »»
Feb 13, 2023 5:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.