Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2014 3:26 AM
Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
... dat morning dance.
You should see me when i wake up.

Eddie is now the sixth member of the crew, he was assigned as leader too.
Seems the supervisors aren't as optimistic about how this group will perform though, i'm interested to see what changes Eddie and Mutta will bring.
Feb 15, 2014 7:16 AM

Aug 2010
Funny episode ^^

The morning dance was lol XD And poor Mutta with the lizard XD

Phillipe's running is hilarious hahaha. What an ununified team these guys are hehe.

Mutta's can I peak every 1.8 seconds had me lol XD

Eddie's charisma is really great. The dude is awesome :D

Loved his idea of them running together to a specific target.

The description part with how those 3 were describing their location was lol. Nice drawing skills there Mutta ^^

Nxt ep...Betty's story.

Is this series really ending T^T
Feb 15, 2014 8:52 AM
Jul 2018
Really now, how the hell did complete tards like them ever even get to be ASCAN, let alone astronauts-in-waiting?
Feb 15, 2014 8:56 AM

Jun 2011
dariken said:
Really now, how the hell did complete tards like them ever even get to be ASCAN, let alone astronauts-in-waiting?

My thoughts exactly.
Feb 15, 2014 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
Eddie is awesome, they're really starting to look like a team.
Feb 15, 2014 12:26 PM

Jun 2008
Not sure how to feel about Phillipe yet. I love his sunny disposition and the morning dance put a big smile on my face, but I don't like the stereotypical "yea man" or the stupid antics(like the way he runs).

I still like Phillipe (and basically everybody else who has been on this show) more than Michelle Rodriquez's doppelganger Betty. Hopefully my opinion will be changed next week. Letty from Fast and Furious has likable qualities so Betty should gain some soon enough.

EDDIE HAS APPEARED BEFORE THEM!! His presence is already starting to change this rag tag team into real astronauts.

20 minutes to "run" only two kilometers (1.2 miles)?!? Anybody could walk that in 20 minutes...
Feb 15, 2014 12:32 PM

Jul 2011
animegeek4life said:
Not sure how to feel about Phillippe yet. I love his sunny disposition and the morning dance put a big smile on my face, but I don't like the stereotypical "yea man" or the stupid antics(like the way he runs).

This, it's the only thing that irks me. I smell borderline racism here and I ain't liking it. =__="

The ending was good to this episode. Hopefully they start getting along from now on, and prove those staff wrong.

Is Uchuu Kyoudai really ending? If it's ending in 6 episodes, better be a excellent last episode. I won't accept a crappy ending. >__<

Betty's backstory! Hn. Well, something to do with her son/family. Looking forward to that. I wish she'd be a wee bit nicer to Mutta after it.
Feb 15, 2014 12:37 PM

Feb 2012
It would be painful to jog two kilometers at exactly 20 minutes; you would almost be walking at that pace. It looks like Eddie is doing good work and I can't wait to see what else he does.
Feb 15, 2014 12:41 PM

Jul 2012
For me nothing changed and all of the sudden they started to work together. Mutta asking to jog together wasnt enough, only old guy giving order to change routine will made them get along?
Feb 15, 2014 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
That was pretty clever of Eddie. Now they are forced to run together, making them act more like a team.
Feb 15, 2014 8:27 PM

Jan 2010
Nice episode but... What happened to Mr. Hibbit? :s
Feb 15, 2014 9:06 PM

Aug 2008
Intereo said:
dariken said:

My thoughts exactly.
Seriously, this really makes me wonder why the heck Kenji wouldn't be selected, I mean, you are seriously wasting Kenji and other good astraunauts' time! Well, it's anime (and manga).
Feb 15, 2014 11:36 PM

Jun 2010
Funny episode, I thought that it would be Mutta who would bond all of them but seems out I was wrong, I guess mature people fits more to be their ideal leader.

and yeah where's Mr. Hibbit?
"Deep."
Feb 16, 2014 1:54 AM

Nov 2011
Kurini said:
Intereo said:
dariken said:

My thoughts exactly.
Seriously, this really makes me wonder why the heck Kenji wouldn't be selected, I mean, you are seriously wasting Kenji and other good astraunauts' time! Well, it's anime (and manga).

A similar thing happened in Kingdom 2nd season 2 weeks ago, when we found out the MC was a no brainer when it came to tactical warfare, there were a lot of arguments but i think the same conclusion can be applied here, The author exaggerated their abilities to better display what a band of misfits they really are and also to show how great a leader Eddie is when he finally gets them going together, cause honestly what kind of Astronaut would not be able to give description of their surroundings when asked. Let's also keep in mind that the person in charge of team selection was Diretor Butler and he specifically said he comprised this team of members whom other people would never want to work with, as such Kenji was never going to make it in.

Could someone clear a misconception i have about the backup crew? i assumed that the backup crew is simply a supplementary crew who's only chance of going to space is if a member of the main crew is unable to go for whatever reason, but from the conversations going on, they talk as though they're assured they'll be going to the moon.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 16, 2014 4:28 AM

Jan 2011
Mirorin said:

Is Uchuu Kyoudai really ending? If it's ending in 6 episodes, better be a excellent last episode. I won't accept a crappy ending. >__<

Where did you hear that?

Edit: Never mind I saw the thread.
ReaperCreeperFeb 16, 2014 4:36 AM
Feb 16, 2014 4:28 PM

Oct 2011
how the hell are the 4 weird astronauts can make this far if they can't do teamwork?
if i remember in the back episode there's some astronauts candidate who can't pass qualification cause he has no teamwork skill....
Feb 17, 2014 12:08 PM

Jan 2009
apalagi said:
how the hell are the 4 weird astronauts can make this far if they can't do teamwork?
if i remember in the back episode there's some astronauts candidate who can't pass qualification cause he has no teamwork skill....

Yea, what the fuck. Terrible episode. I cannot buy this group at all. It just hurts the series so much and I really don't want to be stuck with these guys. Even if they get better (they certainly will), they are still neither interesting nor fun to watch. What are the authors or the mangaka thinking?
danzFeb 17, 2014 12:12 PM
Feb 17, 2014 6:41 PM

May 2011
I really enjoyed the episode, seeing how they differed so greatly but there are still parts that they can admire or be curious about from each other. And Eddie being added to the mix was pretty fantastic with how he's already shifting this around while still seeming so relaxed. :)
Feb 18, 2014 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Mirorin said:
animegeek4life said:
Not sure how to feel about Phillippe yet. I love his sunny disposition and the morning dance put a big smile on my face, but I don't like the stereotypical "yea man" or the stupid antics(like the way he runs).

This, it's the only thing that irks me. I smell borderline racism here and I ain't liking it. =__="

Racism here, racism there, racism everywhere... I recall nobody screaming that from the horrible social injustice for being portrayed in racist white American stereotype when we had the fat pilot instructor who was so lazy he even used a electric wheelchair even though he didn't have to. Or the racist white Russian stereotype of men drinking heavily all the time. Or the racist stereotype of typical white weeaboo who can't even write kanji properly or understand their meanings. Or the racist stereotype of the Japanese actually being the only sane hardworking people in all of NASA, while whites are either lazy, drunkards or playing petty powergames and stabbing each others in the back all the time.

You just can't see that because you have been conditioned into believing that racism against whites does not exist, or if something indicating otherwise happens it's just harmless humor, right? But for some reason you and your kin will readily start screaming racism if any of the majority groups (blacks, hispanics or asians... they all outnumber whites globally) are portrayed in similar fashion.

I love how anime is the last bastion of entertainment that is not tainted by overt political correcteness.
Feb 25, 2014 10:49 AM

Sep 2013
betty pisses me off not gonna lie :L she's so freaking moody it's ridiculous
philippe is funny but i have no idea how he even became an astronaut in training

thank god eddie is there ><
Mar 2, 2014 2:04 PM

Jul 2009
Lol it's a bit hard to see how Carlo and Phillipe (even Betty sometimes) got to this stage, but whatever XD Man they really don't like each other eh? Hopefully Betty will start warming up to everyone and Carlo will focus. Eddie seems like a pretty good leader - I like his idea to make everyone run together! :P Haha, too much pepper ... yeah, that can make food hard to eat XD
Looks like we'll get to see more about Betty's past next episode. She was mentioned to Eddie so I'm assuming they knew each other ... and do we get to see more of Pico? O_o
Mar 17, 2014 1:33 AM
Aug 2011
These new characters are a bit too much, I also wonder how they managed to get this far.

Oh and I didn't need that "girl cooks really bad food" trope either.

Sadly this is one of the worst things to come out of this series since that hinted Hibito/Olga romance.
Aug 5, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Woo! Go team! Betty's drawing was just priceless lol. Another great episode and Mutta's interaction with Betty is even more amusing than he does with Serika.
Sep 1, 2014 1:00 AM

Sep 2013
So many highs and lows in this anime... jeez.

I am disappointed.
Sep 27, 2014 7:31 PM

Nov 2010
Eddie is having fun bringing his new team together

It's sad to know the broadcast is ending soon with a total of 99
I'm also missing Mr Hibbit
Jan 29, 2015 3:05 PM

Nov 2011
Poor Mutta. He couldn't get them to work together. Eddie seems to be making some headway though. I do think their general ineptitude is a bit exaggerated, but Phillipe's portrayal is the main one that's annoying me.

dariken said:
Racism here, racism there, racism everywhere... I recall nobody screaming that from the horrible social injustice for being portrayed in racist white American stereotype when we had the fat pilot instructor who was so lazy he even used a electric wheelchair even though he didn't have to. Or the racist white Russian stereotype of men drinking heavily all the time. Or the racist stereotype of typical white weeaboo who can't even write kanji properly or understand their meanings. Or the racist stereotype of the Japanese actually being the only sane hardworking people in all of NASA, while whites are either lazy, drunkards or playing petty powergames and stabbing each others in the back all the time.

You just can't see that because you have been conditioned into believing that racism against whites does not exist, or if something indicating otherwise happens it's just harmless humor, right? But for some reason you and your kin will readily start screaming racism if any of the majority groups (blacks, hispanics or asians... they all outnumber whites globally) are portrayed in similar fashion.

I love how anime is the last bastion of entertainment that is not tainted by overt political correcteness.

Excuse me? Plenty of white people have been portrayed normally or even admirably (Brian Jay, anyone?). Deneil is portrayed as a "crazy" old man, sure, but never saw it as racist- that's actually what makes him a cool/unique character. As for the Russian portrayal... they actually are heavy drinkers, believe it or not, to the point that it would be viewed as an offense if you refused to drink with someone (apart from religious or health reasons). They are (as a culture) very family-oriented as well, which was also portrayed well. The only one I see as potentially racist is Lowry, but even that is dubious considering that there are plenty of people like that.

Whites and particularly Americans have been portrayed very nicely in the series; Hibito even mentioned preferring America to Japan earlier in the series. I don't think you can get much less racist than that when it comes to whites. (Heck, if it was made by whites, you might hear someone claiming Nasuda is a racist portrayal of Japanese people, when he isn't.)

I'm a white guy, and I'm not saying racism against whites doesn't exist, but this show seems to have a harder time portraying people of darker skin tone than any other race/nationality. Jennifer, Buddy, Amanti, and now Phillippe have all been portrayed in an exaggerated manner. Now, even the first ones aren't all that bad. Jennifer wasn't as flanderized at the start of the series; bodybuilding isn't unique to black people (nor is it Buddy's only trait); and Amanti was referred to positively (Mutta thought she was beautiful) despite having "precognition" as her defining trait. Phillipe seems like the worst example in the show so far with his overly emphasized "Yah man" moments, continual Reggae dancing, etc. It's like his entire character is comprised of a Jamaican stereotype.

What I'm trying to say is that racism as a whole is largely absent from the series, though there is subtle creep in certain areas. I think it handles trans-nationality very well overall, with characters like Phillipe being the exception rather than the rule. That shouldn't preclude someone from ever mentioning racism as a criticism, but one bad portrayal doesn't make all of the others bad either, so calling racism on the whole show seems entirely unnecessary.
TripleSRankJan 29, 2015 3:28 PM
Apr 2, 2015 1:21 AM

Jun 2009
Good idea by Eddie. They didn't start to "suddenly" work together, the only reason they're running together now is because they have to get to the base ON a certain time, not before or after. So the people running too fast (Andy and Betty) and the people running too slow (Philippe and Carlo) will have to either slow down/speed up so that they all get to the base on time. It's really not hard to understand, people. I do agree, however, that these guys must have some serious astronaut chops to get onto a reserve team before people like Kenji and Nitta the only problem being certain character flaws that stops them from working well with others.
Apr 16, 2015 11:21 AM

Aug 2010
Looks like Eddie would make things more interesting, cant wait!

I was at first kind of distressed that Mutta was put together with such crew members, but they're getting less annoying now and this is something that I am more willing to accept than Hibito x Olga lol
Nov 30, 2015 12:07 AM

Mar 2012
So Nitta and Kenji had their spots wasted by a retard and a womanizing, self absorbed douchebag. That's just great.

As for Betty, she might be pissy but at least seems to be trying to work hard and Andy seems to have been "dumbed down" a bit from when we last saw him during the NEEMO training but is still better than the douche and the walking stereotype.
Sep 9, 2016 4:04 PM
Dec 2009
I think I need to add a morning dance to my daily routine.
Jan 17, 2017 9:54 AM

May 2015
Eddie is good leader. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 24, 2017 8:28 AM

May 2012
Nice forming of these quite irregular team members! Let's see what's next though.
Mar 21, 2018 11:20 AM

Feb 2013
Eddie will make them the best team ever.
Nov 10, 2020 2:34 PM

Dec 2007
philippe morning run xDD

eddie start making the team work together, and i'm already liking it :)
Nov 30, 2020 6:56 AM
Apr 2016
It's a real mystery to me how those guys passed all the testing given how their personalities are..
Jul 3, 2023 9:22 PM

Feb 2019
I can't believe these people (except Mutta) got through all the hurdles - passed the tests, got to be ASCANs, passed vetting - to become astronauts-in-training... They seem to lack the basic social skills necessary for that.

More topics from this board

» Sequel update

excalibur977436 - Yesterday

4 by Cayusashi »»
Today, 9:03 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.