Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sunshine Sketch
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2007 5:11 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Just finished watching Ep 5. Weird episode to be honest, took a while to get into it. But it had a few very funny moments so I enjoyed it a lot.

Somehow this scene reminded me of Killer Lolis :D :D

Ohayo, Yoshinoya-chan~

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 4, 2007 6:45 PM

Jan 2007
It felt like watching an acid trip. :D

Yoshinoya was very cute.

Episode rating - 3
Yoshinoya - 5
therefore
Overall - 4
Apr 5, 2007 3:20 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Faust721 said:
It felt like watching an acid trip. :D

Lol ya, those comments are quite hilarious :D .

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 5, 2007 5:47 AM

Jan 2007
I was pretty much dying from all the freaking cuteness in this episode. Sae being all embarrassed when Hiro was talking about her cold last year and Sae taking care of her, Miya changing Yuno's pajama's so she'd be cooler than being in her sweaty ones, Yuno's pinkness to signify her fever... it was all just so damn MOE.

And yeah, the ep was a little weird but fever dreams are always more cracked out anyways o.O So it makes sense since it would be following Yuno's mental state.
bettynoireApr 7, 2007 1:35 PM
Apr 7, 2007 1:42 AM

Mar 2005
ya I really liked the whole acid trip scenes. I could really identify with what Yuno felt like with her fever, and it reminded me of when I had my own.

episode got boring at times, but it made you feel good. Yuno is too too innocent and cute (and more loli than the girls of Ichigo Mashimaro even, I say), and Miyako changing her (Yuno fanservice! ^-^), and all the girls taking care of her. Just a relaxing anime, this is. ^-^
Apr 8, 2007 2:58 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Ya, it is a cute show in general. I haven't seen anything like that yet that would come close to how episode 5 was like. It's not that I didn't like it, it was just different but still great.

Lovely show.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 13, 2008 7:24 AM

Mar 2008
Extremely MOE episode, and those acid trips were unusually well done.
Best episode so far!

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Jul 4, 2008 6:12 PM

Feb 2008
I was like "OMG Yuno. Stop doing so much coke!"
Jul 23, 2008 3:28 PM

Aug 2007
ok i now officially give in to massive yuno worshipping.
very cute and feelgood episode
Jul 28, 2008 2:34 AM

Jan 2008
Very nice episode :D
Aug 2, 2008 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Yuno's dream is so well done. It's exactly like those endless weird dreams you sometimes have^^

Sep 2, 2008 7:35 PM

Apr 2008
I would expect nothing less of a dream from SHAFT~

Freaky~
Sep 9, 2008 10:30 PM

Dec 2007
TwilightRhapsody said:
I would expect nothing less of a dream from SHAFT~

Freaky~

Agreed, but that's why I love SHAFT.

#NBHNC
Oct 5, 2008 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
This was my favourite episode so far. Mira changing Yuno's pajama - aww. And Sae/Hiro=pure win
Nov 13, 2008 5:43 AM

Feb 2008
If only getting sick in RL was this good...

The principal impersonation was lol.
Dec 18, 2008 8:50 PM

Jul 2008
Lol, the first half of this episode was so weird. That certainly was no ordinary cold.
Dec 31, 2008 1:04 PM

Jun 2008
like an acid trip...
Sep 28, 2009 12:49 AM

May 2008
ya I really liked the whole acid trip scenes. I could really identify with what Yuno felt like with her fever, and it reminded me of when I had my own.
Oct 15, 2009 10:22 PM

Jul 2009
Wasn't expecting the epic Shaft-iness of this ep.

Yuno was cute the entire time too ^^

Fav ep so far I think. ^w^
Jan 29, 2010 3:40 AM
Jul 2009
I'm cold and my teeth are chattering after watching that.
I complete cracked up with the rabbit head in the fridge being ignored. It will most likely be thrown out when Miya isn't around. Though I'd love it if Yuno forgot about it and it comes back to haunt her, all shriveled and moldy.
Jun 29, 2010 2:39 AM

Jul 2009
i lolled at the caterpillar every time the scene changed during the round table talk about 2/3s the way in (at around 16:04, starting with the yellow swirly thing)
Sep 6, 2010 11:59 PM
Aug 2008
I thought dreams were pretty much weird by default, and when you throw in illness on top of it... you don't need drugs to have them.

You know *rimshot* you're in a dream when you "wake up" in the ice and snow and you don't wonder why you're there, but why the alarm clock didn't go off.

What is 8.4? ... the time? 8:04?

Yow, 38.2.

Hmm, the mailboxes have temperatures on them...

Heh, the principal, who's talking about someone who's wearing short sleeves in cold weather, is wearing an outfit with no sleeves.

Chika...

Freaky coincidence...?

Learned something new about her? What, that she takes care of her juniors?

Awwwwwwwww! Li'l Yuno! ^_^

nanaki254 said:
i lolled at the caterpillar every time the scene changed during the round table talk about 2/3s the way in (at around 16:04, starting with the yellow swirly thing)

Oh wow, that thing really changes, doesn't it?

Heh, part of the preview is a strip they didn't adapt: "Analysis in Front".
"Say, Tsukasa, how do you eat a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup?"
Nov 10, 2010 11:19 AM
Jan 2010
This is seriously too cute
Dec 9, 2011 10:48 AM

Jun 2011
My mind is full of fuck.
Jan 23, 2012 2:01 PM

Jun 2009
I've got to say, I thought this was an excellent episode. I'm totally enjoying this series now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 22, 2012 9:11 PM

Apr 2009
I don't think the dream should have been done the way it was so early in the series. Considering how little of Yuno's character has been shown to this point it feels just random. It doesn't really qualify as foreshadowing either because it's just too cluttered with everything for any particular issue portrayed to actually stay in your mind, but on the other hand the overall feeling might be conveyed and it certainly opens up when rewatching it later. When you already know Yuno better, all of the symbolism is very intuitive to interpret and reflects her psyche nicely (how she feels about herself, how she thinks she should make herself appear to others, what certain other people mean to her and what roles they have to her, what sides of them she is afraid of or envies, how she is uncertain about the future, her loneliness, etc.)

The feelings of confusion and powerlessnes of the state of mind of a feverish person come across well, too. But I just don't think it was a good idea at this point. If there was some way to validate putting the dream where it is and why it would work when watching the series the first time around I would rate this episode 5/5, but now it just fails. I don't see what it was trying.
Oct 22, 2012 7:01 AM

Sep 2012
That's... some dreams she got here. Another anime character weak to fever.

Miyako taking care of Yuno was awesome
Dec 15, 2012 8:04 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Rewatching this series and I realized I had forgotten how awesome this episode was with that dreaming - this was the episode that hooked me on this show.
Sep 14, 2013 10:09 PM
Jan 2013
As weird as ever, but in this episode, it made sense.
This series is like an art flick. Not liking it much, but not hating it enough to drop... yet.
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Feb 17, 2014 5:53 PM

May 2012
Pretty okay episode, didn't liked it too much but it was pretty nice in general!
Jul 31, 2014 3:33 AM

Aug 2013
This was one weird episode. As weird as those dreams I get when I have a fever. Well done. Well done indeed.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 28, 2014 6:44 PM

Oct 2012
That was pretty good episode, all those nightmares due to fever. Changing reams when you think you are doing ordinary things but they are somewhat weird, they got it perfectly.

Can't sleep part when I eat at night is also very similiar experience to me sometimes :D
I like this more and more, those characters are very likeable.
Apr 26, 2015 2:53 AM

May 2010
First half was weird, creepy yet creepy. Captures the fever moment really well. Some parts reminded me of Yume Nikki a little.

Miya is such a good friend, coming to look after Yuno.

The moment Sae and the rest spotted sensei in the nurse office, I was like,"her dream came true!"

Dat principal impersonation. Well-done.

Man these girls are too good. All of them are so perfect...

It's a shame that there is going to be no Valentine Day episode. As cliche that is, I love it. But well, an episode about 13th Feb is unique in itself.
Dec 11, 2015 4:24 AM

Dec 2013
nanaki254 said:

I noticed it too. It's quite distracting tho lol
they are so sweet of taking care of Yuno ;)
I love the part where Miya changed Yuno's pajamas. Sweet

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Sep 1, 2017 10:59 PM

Jun 2015
Wow, a little bit of Shaft brilliance this episode... I don't think I'll ever forget this episode, the way they portrayed Yuno's dreams was just fantastic, to the point that I feel like I have a better understanding of her now.

Love love love the little Yuri moments between Yuno and Miya, they are so adorable <3 Sae and Hiro are also great friends, everyone seems to get along so well.

Crazy show though, it's 8/10 in terms of my personal enjoyment so far, but I'm giving it 9/10 for now because I really think that's what it deserves. Pretty underrated imo, but then, as a SOL I guess it's bound to be a little divided because of the presentation.
May 6, 2020 2:48 AM

Nov 2011
Best episode so far. Full of cuteness and heartwarming scenes. That weird dream spoke much about people in high fever too.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 5, 2020 7:10 PM

Apr 2018
One thing i noticed about this episode, this is the only episode in the entire Hidamari Sketch anime that doesn't have a bath scene at the end of the episode.
Nov 29, 2020 5:14 PM

Nov 2018
We got SHAFT Acid Trips this episode, you can't go wrong with SHAFT Brilliance.

it's catch my attention that The Acid Trips reflected Yuno Experience from previous episode both past and future events with all around her :
Snowman (Episode 1)
Brutus Statue (Episode 3)
YamabukIijizou, 100 Yen Cake, Karaoke Place (Episode 4)

But,I don't know why SHAFT didn't have reference from episode 2.

And On scene factory that tell about Yuno past experience that we don't know and a new character (Chika) that not introduce on previous episode Probably just watch chronological order to know it.

Good Things Yuno have good friends that care for her,so she can through this not so hard and difficult for her.

Better episode in terms of concept but pretty confusing in terms of story, hope can get information on later episode. But,this
what i love from SHAFT. Their uniqueness are what makes me really love their show. Please,Never Change SHAFT.
Feb 3, 2021 7:26 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty creepy episode, but it also had many heartwarming moments.

SerafosSep 4, 2022 12:15 AM
Apr 26, 2021 11:15 AM

Jun 2016
VictimOfFate said:
I don't think the dream should have been done the way it was so early in the series. Considering how little of Yuno's character has been shown to this point it feels just random. It doesn't really qualify as foreshadowing either because it's just too cluttered with everything for any particular issue portrayed to actually stay in your mind, but on the other hand the overall feeling might be conveyed and it certainly opens up when rewatching it later. When you already know Yuno better, all of the symbolism is very intuitive to interpret and reflects her psyche nicely (how she feels about herself, how she thinks she should make herself appear to others, what certain other people mean to her and what roles they have to her, what sides of them she is afraid of or envies, how she is uncertain about the future, her loneliness, etc.)

The feelings of confusion and powerlessnes of the state of mind of a feverish person come across well, too. But I just don't think it was a good idea at this point. If there was some way to validate putting the dream where it is and why it would work when watching the series the first time around I would rate this episode 5/5, but now it just fails. I don't see what it was trying.

Agreed, even though I was able to pick up on much of that and generally liked the episode. It's just too early for this type of story to get that introspective, and all too easy for the audience to miss it all from an understandable CGDCT mindset.
Nov 16, 2021 2:57 AM

Aug 2017
What a creepy dream lol. It wasn't cute at all lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 7, 2022 9:22 AM

Feb 2020
Creepy dreams.

Poor Yuno got sick. It was sweet how Sae, Hiro, and Miyako took care of her.

Yoshinoya was so cute. ^^
Jan 31, 2023 5:28 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The fever and dream pulled out some of the best Shaft's direction

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 12 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

42 by burbels »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:15 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 8 Discussion

Faust721 - Jun 11, 2007

26 by Losthevy »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:15 AM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 3 Discussion

Faust721 - Mar 1, 2007

28 by NakaiHisao »»
Oct 14, 2023 4:51 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 1 Discussion

kei-clone - Feb 9, 2007

42 by Netbug »»
Mar 7, 2023 4:58 PM

Poll: » Hidamari Sketch Episode 11 Discussion

cyruz - Aug 21, 2007

19 by Ashhk »»
Feb 1, 2023 4:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.