Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 28, 2013 10:45 AM

Nov 2010
Polychrome said:
They should condense all 3 series into 1, and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity.

That's all.
No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Mod Edit: Quoting error fixed.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:21 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:48 AM

Aug 2012
Give it time. The movie was released not even a year ago.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 28, 2013 10:51 AM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:
They should condense all 3 series into 1, and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity.

That's all.
. No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Basically like a folder:

Main season as the first entry, and the sequels located inside the same.

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:22 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:54 AM
Nov 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:

That's all.
No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Indeed... Anyway, a little off topic, can someone say what's so good about Gintama? After that I'm really curious to start watching. It's just random comedy/action, or it's an awesome shounen like FMAB with a huge amount of comedy?

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:22 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:57 AM

Nov 2010
Polychrome said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:

That's all.

Basically like a folder:

>main folder
>first season

>sub folder
>sequels

Right?
Possibly, don't really understand what you're getting at though(am not good with that diagram). I would propose the franchise's score on the top anime page is decided by the TV series' and not the specials, ovas, or movies. Every series, special, movie, and ova would be under the Gintama franchise. So it would say Gintama Franchise on the top anime page and then after clicking into it you're directed to a page where you can go to any gintama entry.

Edit: Or more likely ou'll be directed to the first part of the series, that should make it easier for new watchers to know where to start.

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:20 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:58 AM

Sep 2012
Reverb_Shock said:
Why do I find the top anime page to be important? Because I believe that people new to the site go straight to the top anime page to determine what to watch next.

Newfags should learn not to trust any top list and search for good content by themselves.
Dec 28, 2013 11:12 AM
Dec 2013
Guimend said:

Indeed... Anyway, a little off topic, can someone say what's so good about Gintama? After that I'm really curious to start watching. It's just random comedy/action, or it's an awesome shounen like FMAB with a huge amount of comedy?
It's Bleach with less action and more comedy, though the jokes arent that funny most of the time and the action episodes are pretty much the usual shounen fights with no deeper meaning, theres no symbolism like what you see in Naruto or anything. It's just a parody series that tries to be over the top.
I'd recommend TTGL.

Mod Edit: Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:18 PM
Dec 28, 2013 12:28 PM

Dec 2012
Thread moved from Anime Discussion Board. Derailing/spam posts removed. Cosmetic errors fixed.
Dec 28, 2013 2:56 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Well, even with all the Gintama in the top anime, there's still some good stuff there for newbies to pick up, though I think recommendations are more practical ways of choosing what anime to watch next if you can't find anything you're interested in yourself.
Dec 28, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2010
BatoKusanagi said:
Well, even with all the Gintama in the top anime, there's still some good stuff there for newbies to pick up, though I think recommendations are more practical ways of choosing what anime to watch next if you can't find anything you're interested in yourself.
Well they're still going to see 4 Gintama entries in the top 7 and think that must be the greatest anime of all time. That definitely affects people's hopes or preconceptions of the show.
Dec 28, 2013 3:08 PM
Mar 2011
ig never agree with more than a few of the top 100 im sorry biut it show how in bad taste most of the jackdawish presants of mal are
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 28, 2013 4:34 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
^what.

I agree with having franchises being compacted and giving the average score of all things related to the franchise would be the score used to determine the top anime.
Dec 28, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2009
I agree, it sucks and I also disagree with Gintama, same view as yours.
I don't have any personal support because knowing MAL I'm sure they'll use a great professional excuse which is understandable so they don't do anything about it. But I still want to support this.

Though, honestly everyone ranks differently and well, can't really do shit about it.
But if this somehow can be fixed which I don't care because it won't affect anything on me, I don't mind. Great, if not, then I'm not surprised.
Dec 28, 2013 5:48 PM

Jun 2011
It's funny seeing 4 seasons of Gintama on the top anime page but even I would agree that the three seasons should be condensed into 1 series (same for any of the other top anime with sequels like Geass R2 and Clannad Afterstory). The movie should be left as standalone though as it's not part of the "main" series (not a direct sequel or anything).

Hatshibit said:
It's Bleach with less action and more comedy, though the jokes arent that funny most of the time and the action episodes are pretty much the usual shounen fights with no deeper meaning, there's no symbolism like what you see in Naruto or anything. It's just a parody series that tries to be over the top.
I'd recommend TTGL.

Bleach? Really? Gintama is not even close to Bleach at all minus the "samurai" aspect. Heck, Gintama poked fun at Bleach several times. There's not supposed to be any "symbolism" in it anyway, it's a freaking comedy anime with the occasional action. It's not the same kind of over-the-top as TTGL is. Both are great at doing their own thing but I'll admit that Gintama takes a bit of time to get going.
SolosDec 28, 2013 5:52 PM

Dec 28, 2013 5:56 PM

Nov 2010
SolBlade said:
It's funny seeing 4 seasons of Gintama on the top anime page but even I would agree that the three seasons should be condensed into 1 series (same for any of the other top anime with sequels like Geass R2 and Clannad Afterstory). The movie should be left as standalone though as it's not part of the "main" series (not a direct sequel or anything).
The whole reason why they have seperate entries here is usually because they have separate names in Japan and aired at different times. It wouldn't work and they would never combine them like that. What you might be able to get is something cosmetic. And really? Only the anime in the top 30 or whatever? That's messy.
Dec 28, 2013 6:06 PM

Jun 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
SolBlade said:
The whole reason why they have seperate entries here is usually because they have separate names in Japan and aired at different times. It wouldn't work and they would never combine them like that. What you might be able to get is something cosmetic. And really? Only the anime in the top 30 or whatever? That's messy.

Nah, I meant that if something like that were to happen then it would apply to all anime. I just mentioned some of the other top anime as an example. My apologies if I worded that wrong.
But I see what you mean. It would be a bit weird to do that.

Dec 28, 2013 6:08 PM

Jun 2007
>I-it doesn't belong there b-b-b-because I don't think it's that good!!!!

Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page. Maybe then you people would stop making these godawful threads spouting how entitled you are and how you believe your opinion should take precedence based on bullshit variables that are irrelevant and not even applicable in order to make it seem more factual.

I agree with whoever it was that said series should be bundled (not franchises, but series), but that would be complicated in some scenarios.
TallonKarrde23Dec 28, 2013 6:11 PM
Dec 28, 2013 6:09 PM

Nov 2010
SolBlade said:
IntroverTurtle said:
SolBlade said:

Nah, I meant that if something like that were to happen then it would apply to all anime. I just mentioned some of the other top anime as an example. My apologies if I worded that wrong.
But I see what you mean. It would be a bit weird to do that.
Oh ok then. I agree then though I would put the movies into it.
Dec 28, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page. Maybe then you people would stop making these godawful threads spouting how entitled you are and how you believe your opinion should take precedence based on bullshit variables that are irrelevant and not even applicable in order to make it seem more factual.
How is popularity a bullshit variable? It matters in averages. The top anime page consists of ratings from the amount of people who have seen the show, and it ranks them based on the highest average. When you look at an average with a sample size of 9,000 people and it has an average score of 9.18, and compare it to a sample size of 150,000 with an average of 9.17, it's obvious which is being consistently rated higher by more people. That should put it above the the other one on the top anime page. I just want it to be considered in the MAL ranking system.

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Just ignore them.
Reverb_ShockDec 28, 2013 6:18 PM
Dec 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Jun 2007
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

How is popularity a bullshit variable? It matters in averages. The top anime page consists of ratings from the amount of people who have seen the show, and it ranks them based on the highest average. When you look at an average with a sample size of 9,000 people and it has an average score of 9.18, and compare it to a sample size of 150,000 with an average of 9.17, it's obvious which is being consistently rated higher by more people. That should put it above the the other one on the top anime page. I just want it to be considered in the MAL ranking system.

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Just ignore them.

Don't make shitty threads and I won't click on your shitty threads, son.
Dec 28, 2013 6:19 PM

Jun 2011
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Don't fucking click on them.

Just give it a little time and it'll go down when it gets more viewers. The BDs were only out for a week compared to Steins;Gate which came out 2 years ago. It'll fluctuate a lot when a series has a small amount of members so it'll become more consistent once more people watch it.

Dec 28, 2013 6:43 PM

Mar 2010
I don't see a issue with the current ranking page.. since it has different page tabs that separate or include: All Anime, Top TV Series, Top Movies, Top OVAs, Top Specials, Most Popular.

Now I'm not really sure about that bundling idea but I suppose the most popular page can already tell you what anime has the most members... I'm a bit lost at what the real problem is for the top anime page, but I suppose this gives me a bit of a insight of what people really think of the rankings.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Don't make shitty threads and I won't click on your shitty threads, son.
So you choose to ignore the main part of my post, well played...
Dec 30, 2013 9:35 AM

Aug 2011
I'm a fan of Gintama. But I'd say that Gintama is being overscored.

Why?
There are two reasons for this anime gets overscored.

1. Because of scoring system of MAL.
You have to watch at least 1/5 of episodes to really counted your vote for calculation of scoring.
This is the biggest reason of why Gintama is being overscored.
Original Gintama series is watched by random anime fans, and they will drop if they didn't like the first 40 eps.
And most of people who bore to go over this line are give Shounen fanboy score which is 10.
My recommendation to staffs is please don't choose hard 1/5 eps. It is too much on anime which has 100+ eps.
You should choose hard 1/5 eps for animes which has 130- eps (130/5=26)
For anime which has higher than 130 eps should be used 26 as red line.
Yes, 26 ep is enough to decide should i watch it or not.

2. Because of fanboys
People who dropped Gintama most likely won't watch its sequels. So Only Gintama fans will watch them and vote it as 10, no matter how bad it was.
But it is the fanboy issue. Also it is not only Gintama problem, it still works on those anime which are released after originals.
So I don't have any recommendation for this
But it is the real problem that staffs should look over it.

All Gintama except first series are overscored.

Sorry for my bad eng. But i think you guys can get its point.
bxyhxyhFeb 16, 2014 12:37 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Dec 30, 2013 11:46 AM

Apr 2012
Well, technically, Bayesian average does take account of how popular a show is, because it is bayesian average ...

Weighted Rank (WR) = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
The user-voted score is weighted against the average score across entire database with number of votes.

However, it is true that the current system has the minimum score set at 50, which is quite a low bar. If this is changed to 100, for example, we can pull down series that have less votes more to the average.

According to my calculation, if we use the 100 minimum votes method, Gintama final movie (which is characterized by a very small number of voters) will have a bayesian average of 9.17 atm instead of 9.20 (well I roughly back calculated the average across database). On the other hand, the average of series with large voter base will not change by 0.01 digit. This will fix the imbalance somewhat. Furthermore, if minimum of 100 voters is not enough, we can always change it to a 250 minimum etc.

A side effect to changing the minimum votes is that some series will no longer qualify for a bayesian average, since they have less than required votes. IMO, that's fine. These series in all likelihood will not be missed from top anime list.

All in all, the 50 minimum voters standard for the database is outdated, mainly because MAL members have grown exponentially since it was founded. Admittedly, I have never learned about bayesian average and how to choose the "minimum voters standard", cause our probability class stopped right before bayesian. However, intuitively, it makes not a lot of sense to have a minimum voter requirement so low when even the 1000th popular anime has about 10,000 voting members. I don't think the anime series are being properly "pulled toward the average".

Note: Granted, the TOP manga minimum voters requirement should be quite different since it has a much much lower voting users base. Now, I can surmise that the practical difficulty exists in the fact that anime and manga share the same top ranking system and if anime minimum voting requirement is changed manga is changed as well?! However, I am guessing that it is possible to separate the minimum voting requirement for anime and manga, though it might take a bit of code writing.
bunny1ov3rDec 30, 2013 12:09 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 5, 2014 1:21 AM

Aug 2011
If 1000th popular anime has about 10000 votes, minimum 250 votes sounds ok to me.

It seems more higher would be a safe.
bxyhxyhJan 5, 2014 8:47 AM
Jan 5, 2014 1:50 AM
Mar 2011
Jody32 said:
I think most experienced users here would agree that almost all of the top rated anime on MAL are overrated in one way or another.

iv said this many times but been un justly mocked for commting a report that most of the MALvians decry as TO BE half Truth or at worst shear knavrey and falsity
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 8, 2014 6:54 AM

Nov 2010
I haven't read all the posts here, perhaps I'm repeating what others have said before. If so, I apologize.

I'm a fan of Gintama so I know this may soud strange coming from me, but the rankings have gotten ridiculous (not just Gintama, in general) and everything points to things getting even worse in the next couple years. Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes are getting out of hand. To put things into perspective and grouping these anime I mentioned (Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes) into one category that I will call "Post-Original" for lack of a better term, 50 anime out of the Top 100 are "post-original". Perhaps it doesn't sound too bad like this but you should consider that out of the anime that comes out every year these "post-originals" belong to a minority.

About what I said about things getting worse, just to once again get things into perspective, out of the 20 highest rated anime in 2013 at the moment 18 are "post-original". The only two that werent in case you're wondering are Shingeki no Kyojin and Kotonoha no Niwa.

I don't know what could make this situation better. Perhaps creating a new category in the rankings precisely for these "post-originals" just like there are for Movies and OVAs and keeping the main ranking for the first anime of the series. That way you could still see the rating for the other seasons (since there are some anime that have one particularly bad season grouping them all together could overshadow that) and have a main top 100 that has more series than now (since there would be only one anime from each series). Changing the formula for the weighed rank to account more clearly for popularity is a bad idea since there would be good but unpopular shows that would never get due recognition. Oh well, those are just my 2 cents about this.

By the way, I counted these in a hurry so I may have skipped something. Just to clarify I included OVAs Movies and Specials while counting as long as they were related and came after another anime
Jan 8, 2014 7:13 AM

Mar 2008
The people have spoken, and it is hilarity.

Reverb_Shock said:
People want to see a variety of anime, not 5 Gintama's in the top 10
People who can't click a 'next 30' button deserve to see listings that rile them.
CkanJan 8, 2014 7:18 AM
Jan 8, 2014 7:14 AM

Feb 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page.
Lol. I had a good laugh at this, someone should seriously get on that.

The problem with putting everything into their franchise is that certain entries will likely bring down the score dramatically for many franchises. Or, if you base the score off the first series then you get issues with the first series being legitimately worse than the rest of it.
Jan 8, 2014 10:44 AM

Feb 2013
NoSurrender1690 said:
ig never agree with more than a few of the top 100 im sorry biut it show how in bad taste most of the jackdawish presants of mal are

out of curiosity, which do you agree with?
Jan 8, 2014 10:45 AM

Sep 2011
I still say we should upvote tsui no sora to the top 10

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 8, 2014 1:06 PM

Feb 2010
NoSurrender1690 said:

Taste doesn't even factor in your scoring system so how can you make any statements about taste? You can say that the majority of MAL has no clue or doesn't care about historically important shows that impacted the industry, otaku culture or whatever, but you have no right to judge taste as long as IT'S NOT EVEN ONE OF YOUR CRITERIA HOW MUCH YOU LIKED THE SHOW. For all I know you could hate every 10 on your list, but feel compelled to rate them highly because of your criteria. So pick your sides, either your a 'historian of the midium' or you're just another guy with random, subjective criteria who can take part in the shitstorm debates about who the fuck cares that Gintama has fans and movies.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 16, 2014 12:33 AM

Aug 2011
kurosaki_kabuto said:
I haven't read all the posts here, perhaps I'm repeating what others have said before. If so, I apologize.

I'm a fan of Gintama so I know this may soud strange coming from me, but the rankings have gotten ridiculous (not just Gintama, in general) and everything points to things getting even worse in the next couple years. Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes are getting out of hand. To put things into perspective and grouping these anime I mentioned (Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes) into one category that I will call "Post-Original" for lack of a better term, 50 anime out of the Top 100 are "post-original". Perhaps it doesn't sound too bad like this but you should consider that out of the anime that comes out every year these "post-originals" belong to a minority.

About what I said about things getting worse, just to once again get things into perspective, out of the 20 highest rated anime in 2013 at the moment 18 are "post-original". The only two that werent in case you're wondering are Shingeki no Kyojin and Kotonoha no Niwa.

Yes, I agree with you. It is exatly same as my previous post's this part
"bxyhxyh" said:
2. Because of fanboys
People who dropped Gintama most likely won't watch its sequels. So Only Gintama fans will watch them and vote it as 10, no matter how bad it was.
But it is the fanboy issue. Also it is not only Gintama problem, it still works on those anime which are released after originals.
So I don't have any recommendation for this
But it is the real problem that staffs should look over it.
bxyhxyhFeb 16, 2014 12:38 AM
Apr 12, 2014 10:49 PM
Nov 2013
My bad for the necro, but the top anime score averages would probably be easily remedied if we cut out anyone who has less than 100 complete series' and have an average greater than 7.0 and less than 5.0. It would certainly remove the idiots who vote "10/10 bretty gewd :DDDDD" on everything and "I didn't like it much but I'm too retarded to understand how scoring metrics work so 1/10". Plus, make the minimum vote requirement 1000 and have 1/5th requirement cap not apply to shows with 100+ episodes. For longer runners it should be a minimum of 20~ episodes AT MOST. That shit is carrying Gintama way too hard. Shows that are not even finished a season shouldn't show up in the top rankings at all. As much as I like seeing both seasons of Mushishi up in the ranks, only one deserves to be placed right now.

Also, the "formula" is a joke since it does not even work. RYM's formula works a lot better because it actually takes into account the score average alongside the number of votes, so the stuff with the highest average doesn't necessarily get top ranking. On that site, an album with a 4.15 average with 25K votes will be ranked higher than a 4.25 with 800 votes. There's absolutely no reason why Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 should be ranking above Madoka or Kuroko no Basket when it has ONE TENTH the votes of either despite all three having an average of 8.67. Gintama: Yorinuki Gintama-san on Theater 2D has LITERALLY LESS THAN THREE HUNDRED VOTES but still ranks higher than shows with 100K+ votes like Clannad, ToraDora, Samurai Champloo, and Ouran High School Host Club, who are all in the 8.50~ avg range. If that doesn't tell you the site average formula is trash, I don't know what does.

Also, daily reminder that awful haremshit like Nisekoi has a higher average than Golden Boy, Serial Experiments Lain, Jinrui, and Paranoia Agent, and is only a hair away from being "on par" with Haibane Renmei.
smallwavesApr 12, 2014 11:08 PM
Apr 12, 2014 10:53 PM

May 2013
I'd rather want the admins to fix the damn bugs first this site has before implementing any new features.
Apr 12, 2014 11:03 PM

Nov 2010
Krasa said:
I'd rather want the admins to fix the damn bugs first this site has before implementing any new features.
Admins and the mods can't do either.
Apr 13, 2014 1:12 AM

Oct 2009
smallwaves said:
Also, the "formula" is a joke since it does not even work. RYM's formula works a lot better because it actually takes into account the score average alongside the number of votes, so the stuff with the highest average doesn't necessarily get top ranking. On that site, an album with a 4.15 average with 25K votes will be ranked higher than a 4.25 with 800 votes. There's absolutely no reason why Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199 should be ranking above Madoka or Kuroko no Basket when it has ONE TENTH the votes of either despite all three having an average of 8.67. Gintama: Yorinuki Gintama-san on Theater 2D has LITERALLY LESS THAN THREE HUNDRED VOTES but still ranks higher than shows with 100K+ votes like Clannad, ToraDora, Samurai Champloo, and Ouran High School Host Club, who are all in the 8.50~ avg range. If that doesn't tell you the site average formula is trash, I don't know what does.

I don't know what RYM's formula is, but what you miss out is that MAL doesn't use simple average scores, and the scores you see are already weighted! http://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime
So lets take your example and see what average scores those shows would have:
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199:
(10*1233 + 9*1583 + 8*1120 + 7*478 + 6*136 + 5*64 + 4*29 + 3*8 + 2*8 + 1*9) / 4315 = (12330 + 14247 + 8960 + 3346 + 816 + 320 + 116 + 24 + 16 + 9) / 4315 ~= 9.31
Kuroko no Basket:
(10*17972 + 9*21119 + 8*16711 + 7*7019 + 6*1877 + 5*763 + 4*223 + 3*89 + 2*58 + 1*128) / 63419 = (179720 + 190071 + 133688 + 49133 + 11262 + 3815 + 892 + 267 + 116 + 128) / 63419 ~= 8.97
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica:
(10*40369 + 9*37911 + 8*27643 + 7*12832 + 6*4715 + 5*2167 + 4*938 + 3*369 + 2*236 + 1*394 ) / 124779 = (403690 + 341199 + 221144 + 89824 + 28290 + 10835 + 3752 + 1107 + 472 + 394) / 124779 ~= 8.82
But their scores are almost even thanks to the weighted score.
SerhiykoApr 13, 2014 1:32 AM
Apr 14, 2014 2:14 PM

Mar 2014
Isn't popularity another determining factor when it comes to figuring out what is the "top anime", though?.

Here's a formula I think would work pretty well...

Take a user's rating, and multiply it by the number of members who have viewed the anime.
Let's use Stein's;Gate for example. I haven't seen it, but let's say I gave Stein's;Gate a 9/10. 9*228,047=2,052,423. Let's call this a "Heavy score".

Now, figure out the heavy score for each user, then average them together to get the "overall heavy score".
Then, just organize the list in order of these "overall heavy scores".

This way, popularity is a factor, but it can either help or hurt a show, depending on if it gets a lot of 1-star ratings (giving the show a much lower averaged heavy score), or a lot of 10-star ratings (giving the show a higher averaged heavy score).
What do you guys think of this method?
vigorousjammerApr 14, 2014 2:18 PM
::End of Transmission::

Apr 14, 2014 2:53 PM

Oct 2009
vigorousjammer said:

So what you just said, we multiply every score by the number of members, then add all those heavy scores together, and divide by the number of members? So basically, we just add all scores together?
Apr 14, 2014 5:21 PM

Mar 2014
Serhiyko said:
vigorousjammer said:

So what you just said, we multiply every score by the number of members, then add all those heavy scores together, and divide by the number of members? So basically, we just add all scores together?

Oh, shit. you're right, lol. That wouldn't work. I guess I didn't notice how the multiplication and division cancelled each other out.

Well, the concept I was getting at is... I felt like multiplying each score by the number of members would give every score on popular anime more weight compared to the scores on a less popular anime, and that would be reflected as either positive or negative based on lower and higher numbers...

However, I suppose that isn't entirely accurate, since nothing is ever subtracted, so it's always just positive gain, no matter what. Perhaps we could implement some kind of positive/negative system, where votes 6-10 will increase an anime's raking, while 1-5 will lower it?

I dunno, I'm not good with this kind of thing, lol.

Apr 14, 2014 5:30 PM

Jun 2012
I love how virtually every single thread complaining about Gintama being so high at the top always has that sentence "Oh yeah, and I haven't seen it, BUT I'M GOING TO.".

If you want to see shows based on popularity then sort by popularity, don't try to make it factor into ratings when it clearly doesn't. A microcosm is a microcosm.
Apr 14, 2014 5:51 PM

Mar 2014
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I love how virtually every single thread complaining about Gintama being so high at the top always has that sentence "Oh yeah, and I haven't seen it, BUT I'M GOING TO."

Yeah, that is a bit rediculous.

YorozuyaGinSan said:
If you want to see shows based on popularity then sort by popularity.

The problem is... I don't want to simply see a list of the most popular shows. I want to see a list of the best, most popular shows. That is, taking both into account simultaneously. I just don't know the formula required for such a thing.

YorozuyaGinSan said:
don't try to make it factor into ratings when it clearly doesn't. A microcosm is a microcosm.

I disagree, it clearly does factor into the ratings. The fact that those shows form a microcosm is the problem.

It makes the list not accurate to what the "top anime" are, but simply the "best rated".

Serhiyko said:
So lets take your example and see what average scores those shows would have:
Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199:
(10*1233 + 9*1583 + 8*1120 + 7*478 + 6*136 + 5*64 + 4*29 + 3*8 + 2*8 + 1*9) / 4315 = (12330 + 14247 + 8960 + 3346 + 816 + 320 + 116 + 24 + 16 + 9) / 4315 ~= 9.31
Kuroko no Basket:
(10*17972 + 9*21119 + 8*16711 + 7*7019 + 6*1877 + 5*763 + 4*223 + 3*89 + 2*58 + 1*128) / 63419 = (179720 + 190071 + 133688 + 49133 + 11262 + 3815 + 892 + 267 + 116 + 128) / 63419 ~= 8.97
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica:
(10*40369 + 9*37911 + 8*27643 + 7*12832 + 6*4715 + 5*2167 + 4*938 + 3*369 + 2*236 + 1*394 ) / 124779 = (403690 + 341199 + 221144 + 89824 + 28290 + 10835 + 3752 + 1107 + 472 + 394) / 124779 ~= 8.82
But their scores are almost even thanks to the weighted score.

Why exactly is having almost even scores a good thing?

Apr 14, 2014 5:57 PM

Nov 2010
I don't think popularity should count. Obviously the anime with a dub would be higher on the popularity list.
Apr 15, 2014 2:32 AM

Oct 2009
vigorousjammer said:
Why exactly is having almost even scores a good thing?

You didn't get a single thing, did you? That wasn't the point of my post AT ALL
What I was getting at is that MAL uses weighted scores that factor in the number of the users, not just simple average scores

vigorousjammer said:
I dunno, I'm not good with this kind of thing, lol.

You definitely aren't
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.