Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2013 8:52 AM

Sep 2012
I've been thinking about this for awhile and have decided to finally make a thread about it. I look at the top anime page for fun every once in awhile to see what the most liked anime out there are, and I'm one of the people who gives MAL rankings some meaning.
I'm sure that a lot of you don't take MAL's rankings with any value and you don't care how or where anime is ranked overall. But I like to see how each anime stacks up with others, and I feel that technically, with MAL's huge userbase, the scores usually indicate the quality of the anime, albeit some are inflated and other underrated, but that's more personal opinion than the majority.

Now to get to the point, MAL needs to do something about how the ratings are determined based on the top anime page. This thread specifically comes in backlash of the recent Gintama movie having only 9,800 fucking viewers and yet is rated above shows ranked a fraction below it with over 150,000. That's insane and doesn't indicate true score compared to other more watched shows. I'm sure Gintama is a great show (I haven't seen it, but I'm planning to watch it) but it's rating is purely from devoted fans all giving the sequels a 10 without a second thought. I know that generally, sequels get higher ratings than the original because only the people who liked the series will watch the sequel, and I understand that, but this is some bullshit overrating. 9.20? Come the fuck on!

Popularity definitely needs to be factored into the top anime page rankings. Why do I find the top anime page to be important? Because I believe that people new to the site (there's more coming everyday) go straight to the top anime page to determine what to watch next. These under watched movies are contaminating its validity and pushing other anime out of the top 30 (this being important because no one goes to the next 30 lol). People want to see a variety of anime, not 5 Gintama's in the top 10.

I was hoping to see what other people think about this and if you don't give a crap, disagree with me, or have a better solution. I really want to know how other people feel about this.

Rant brought to you by: A Salty Steins;Gate fan.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 28, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2013
It doesn't really matter how many people see it, or who sees it.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 28, 2013 8:56 AM

Nov 2010
I don't want popularity factored in as that will lower good but not so popular shows. But I would like to see anime grouped by franchise on the top list, make it a lot less crowded.

And implement the 1/5 rule for airing series. YEAH!!!!
Dec 28, 2013 9:07 AM

Dec 2012
MAL ratings are anything but accurate.

Unless it's an obscure title, low popularity will do more good than harm. And sequels and movies are always going to have a higher ranking because logically speaking people who hated the prequel shouldn't go on and watch the sequel and anime movies in general don't have high popularity.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
scored 9.04
31,864 members

Kuroko no Basket 2nd Season
scored 8.82
38,493 members

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
scored 8.80
38,627 members

Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger
scored 8.77
34,941 members

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3
scored 8.76
24,046 members

All these scores are not accurate and don't show what the majority thinks if you want to get down to it.

I personally care way more about the reception in Japan than here.
Dec 28, 2013 9:20 AM

Apr 2011
+ for thread

Though there are many anime that I think are overrated and much more underrated, but we seriously need a button "filter Gintama fanboys/girls"...
Exactly the same with hajime no ippo and kuroko no basket..
Dec 28, 2013 9:38 AM

Jul 2012
i never look at rankings. popularity was never important to me, and it still isn't. in life or anime.
Dec 28, 2013 9:43 AM
Aug 2013
Yeah but the same can be said for FMA brotherhood, clannad, geass, lagann, etc... all 10's for really popular series which are basically all over the list

FMA for example is great but not close to no.1 material, the list can never get more subjective than this for most anime

so why bother?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2013 9:45 AM

Jul 2011
Homm said:
+ for thread

Though there are many anime that I think are overrated and much more underrated, but we seriously need a button "filter Gintama fanboys/girls"...
Exactly the same with hajime no ippo and kuroko no basket..

Actually, Gintama fans are more tame compared to the rest of the large fan bases from what I've seen. Though, I kind of do think Gintama should be grouped together, at least the anime series. Then again, I find it amusing to see 4 Gintama titles in the top 10.
Even Death has a heart
It's okay to spin around and around in the same place. Just so long as you're singing your heart out.
THAT's what life's all about.

Dec 28, 2013 9:50 AM

Jun 2012
Ummmm, I realize this might be a "problem", but how can you judge something without seeing it? It might be as good as the fans say it is..... you can't just dismiss something because it's ranked high, that's silly.
получить деньги моего друга
Dec 28, 2013 9:53 AM

Feb 2010
You're supposing newcomers to this site are newcomers to anime and would flock to the top 30 in the first place. But even anime newcomers learn to search for themselves when they've exhausted the top 30 or even top 60 or find a lot of those shows to not be living up to expectations. If they don't learn to search for themselves, if they continue to rely on these numbers, disappointment will inevitably follow. But, a lot of them do learn to search for themselves. MAL, ANN, ect. seem to be at no loss for a community--for viewers--because the amount of people who leave out of disappointment with title after title isn't enough to bring down a fandom that's persisted outside of Japan.

We learn to search or we learn to leave; I think our overall endeavor is to search, don't you?

~Peace, love, abercrombie~
Dec 28, 2013 9:58 AM

May 2012
pralan said:
Another thread complaining about Gintama in top 10, nothing new here.
Dec 28, 2013 10:22 AM

Apr 2013
Come on, the Steins Gate movie is in the top 30 as well and it wasn't that amazing...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Dec 28, 2013 10:24 AM

Jun 2013
SteampunkDalek said:
pralan said:
Another thread complaining about Gintama in top 10, nothing new here.

Another Thread Outlining why fanbases of bad anime like Gintama tend to hack and slash rating-based lists apart.

- Yandere.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Dec 28, 2013 10:27 AM

Dec 2012
geralt said:
Come on, the Steins Gate movie is in the top 30 as well and it wasn't that amazing...

I agree. It was just a fan service if anything.
Dec 28, 2013 10:29 AM

Apr 2007
times have changed
never really paid much attention to the top pages
a one or ten - it does not matter to me :-)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 28, 2013 10:35 AM
Nov 2013
n#2

Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare

Movie, 1 eps, scored 9.19
9,659 members

n#3

Steins;Gate

TV, 24 eps, scored 9.16
195,178 members

HAHAHAHAHA OP is right, is so ridiculous that I can't stop laughing.
Dec 28, 2013 10:39 AM

Sep 2011
Guimend said:
n#2

Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare

Movie, 1 eps, scored 9.19
9,659 members

n#3

Steins;Gate

TV, 24 eps, scored 9.16
195,178 members

HAHAHAHAHA OP is right, is so ridiculous that I can't stop laughing.
you guys do know steins gate came out 2 years ago, and gintama's movie released on DVD a week ago only being subbed a couple days ago right? gintama's movie wont reach that level of members but being surprised that the thing thats years old garnered more watchers than the thing thats just came out is pretty absurd

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 28, 2013 10:41 AM

Oct 2011
Polychrome said:
They should condense all 3 series into 1, and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity.

That's all.
Dec 28, 2013 10:43 AM

Sep 2011
Polychrome said:
Polychrome said:
they should condense all 3 series into 1 and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity

the butthurt is getting annoying
They should condense all 3 into one series but the movie should be standalone

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 28, 2013 10:45 AM

Oct 2011
NotJizzyHitler said:
Polychrome said:
Polychrome said:
they should condense all 3 series into 1 and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity

the butthurt is getting annoying
They should condense all 3 into one series but the movie should be standalone

Should only be taken into account after a certain number of people have watched it. That's what I mean.

All these threads ...
Dec 28, 2013 10:45 AM

Nov 2010
Polychrome said:
They should condense all 3 series into 1, and only add the movies into the ranking if they have enough popularity.

That's all.
No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Mod Edit: Quoting error fixed.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:21 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:48 AM

Aug 2012
Give it time. The movie was released not even a year ago.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 28, 2013 10:51 AM

Oct 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:

That's all.
. No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Basically like a folder:

Main season as the first entry, and the sequels located inside the same.

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:22 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:54 AM
Nov 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:

That's all.
No, everything in the top list should be combined into their franchises but should still have seperate pages(they have different names it would be stupid to combine them). With things like remakes or alternate timelines specially let out. It would reduce it by like half the size making it easier to go through it.

Indeed... Anyway, a little off topic, can someone say what's so good about Gintama? After that I'm really curious to start watching. It's just random comedy/action, or it's an awesome shounen like FMAB with a huge amount of comedy?

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:22 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:57 AM

Nov 2010
Polychrome said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Polychrome said:

That's all.

Basically like a folder:

>main folder
>first season

>sub folder
>sequels

Right?
Possibly, don't really understand what you're getting at though(am not good with that diagram). I would propose the franchise's score on the top anime page is decided by the TV series' and not the specials, ovas, or movies. Every series, special, movie, and ova would be under the Gintama franchise. So it would say Gintama Franchise on the top anime page and then after clicking into it you're directed to a page where you can go to any gintama entry.

Edit: Or more likely ou'll be directed to the first part of the series, that should make it easier for new watchers to know where to start.

ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:20 PM
Dec 28, 2013 10:58 AM

Sep 2012
Reverb_Shock said:
Why do I find the top anime page to be important? Because I believe that people new to the site go straight to the top anime page to determine what to watch next.

Newfags should learn not to trust any top list and search for good content by themselves.
Dec 28, 2013 11:12 AM
Dec 2013
Guimend said:

Indeed... Anyway, a little off topic, can someone say what's so good about Gintama? After that I'm really curious to start watching. It's just random comedy/action, or it's an awesome shounen like FMAB with a huge amount of comedy?
It's Bleach with less action and more comedy, though the jokes arent that funny most of the time and the action episodes are pretty much the usual shounen fights with no deeper meaning, theres no symbolism like what you see in Naruto or anything. It's just a parody series that tries to be over the top.
I'd recommend TTGL.

Mod Edit: Quote tower put into spoiler tag.
ThangLongDec 28, 2013 12:18 PM
Dec 28, 2013 12:28 PM

Dec 2012
Thread moved from Anime Discussion Board. Derailing/spam posts removed. Cosmetic errors fixed.
Dec 28, 2013 2:56 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Well, even with all the Gintama in the top anime, there's still some good stuff there for newbies to pick up, though I think recommendations are more practical ways of choosing what anime to watch next if you can't find anything you're interested in yourself.
Dec 28, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2010
BatoKusanagi said:
Well, even with all the Gintama in the top anime, there's still some good stuff there for newbies to pick up, though I think recommendations are more practical ways of choosing what anime to watch next if you can't find anything you're interested in yourself.
Well they're still going to see 4 Gintama entries in the top 7 and think that must be the greatest anime of all time. That definitely affects people's hopes or preconceptions of the show.
Dec 28, 2013 3:08 PM
Mar 2011
ig never agree with more than a few of the top 100 im sorry biut it show how in bad taste most of the jackdawish presants of mal are
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 28, 2013 4:34 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
^what.

I agree with having franchises being compacted and giving the average score of all things related to the franchise would be the score used to determine the top anime.
Dec 28, 2013 4:43 PM

Dec 2009
I agree, it sucks and I also disagree with Gintama, same view as yours.
I don't have any personal support because knowing MAL I'm sure they'll use a great professional excuse which is understandable so they don't do anything about it. But I still want to support this.

Though, honestly everyone ranks differently and well, can't really do shit about it.
But if this somehow can be fixed which I don't care because it won't affect anything on me, I don't mind. Great, if not, then I'm not surprised.
Dec 28, 2013 5:48 PM

Jun 2011
It's funny seeing 4 seasons of Gintama on the top anime page but even I would agree that the three seasons should be condensed into 1 series (same for any of the other top anime with sequels like Geass R2 and Clannad Afterstory). The movie should be left as standalone though as it's not part of the "main" series (not a direct sequel or anything).

Hatshibit said:
It's Bleach with less action and more comedy, though the jokes arent that funny most of the time and the action episodes are pretty much the usual shounen fights with no deeper meaning, there's no symbolism like what you see in Naruto or anything. It's just a parody series that tries to be over the top.
I'd recommend TTGL.

Bleach? Really? Gintama is not even close to Bleach at all minus the "samurai" aspect. Heck, Gintama poked fun at Bleach several times. There's not supposed to be any "symbolism" in it anyway, it's a freaking comedy anime with the occasional action. It's not the same kind of over-the-top as TTGL is. Both are great at doing their own thing but I'll admit that Gintama takes a bit of time to get going.
SolosDec 28, 2013 5:52 PM

Dec 28, 2013 5:56 PM

Nov 2010
SolBlade said:
It's funny seeing 4 seasons of Gintama on the top anime page but even I would agree that the three seasons should be condensed into 1 series (same for any of the other top anime with sequels like Geass R2 and Clannad Afterstory). The movie should be left as standalone though as it's not part of the "main" series (not a direct sequel or anything).
The whole reason why they have seperate entries here is usually because they have separate names in Japan and aired at different times. It wouldn't work and they would never combine them like that. What you might be able to get is something cosmetic. And really? Only the anime in the top 30 or whatever? That's messy.
Dec 28, 2013 6:06 PM

Jun 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
SolBlade said:
The whole reason why they have seperate entries here is usually because they have separate names in Japan and aired at different times. It wouldn't work and they would never combine them like that. What you might be able to get is something cosmetic. And really? Only the anime in the top 30 or whatever? That's messy.

Nah, I meant that if something like that were to happen then it would apply to all anime. I just mentioned some of the other top anime as an example. My apologies if I worded that wrong.
But I see what you mean. It would be a bit weird to do that.

Dec 28, 2013 6:08 PM

Jun 2007
>I-it doesn't belong there b-b-b-because I don't think it's that good!!!!

Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page. Maybe then you people would stop making these godawful threads spouting how entitled you are and how you believe your opinion should take precedence based on bullshit variables that are irrelevant and not even applicable in order to make it seem more factual.

I agree with whoever it was that said series should be bundled (not franchises, but series), but that would be complicated in some scenarios.
TallonKarrde23Dec 28, 2013 6:11 PM
Dec 28, 2013 6:09 PM

Nov 2010
SolBlade said:
IntroverTurtle said:
SolBlade said:

Nah, I meant that if something like that were to happen then it would apply to all anime. I just mentioned some of the other top anime as an example. My apologies if I worded that wrong.
But I see what you mean. It would be a bit weird to do that.
Oh ok then. I agree then though I would put the movies into it.
Dec 28, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:

Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page. Maybe then you people would stop making these godawful threads spouting how entitled you are and how you believe your opinion should take precedence based on bullshit variables that are irrelevant and not even applicable in order to make it seem more factual.
How is popularity a bullshit variable? It matters in averages. The top anime page consists of ratings from the amount of people who have seen the show, and it ranks them based on the highest average. When you look at an average with a sample size of 9,000 people and it has an average score of 9.18, and compare it to a sample size of 150,000 with an average of 9.17, it's obvious which is being consistently rated higher by more people. That should put it above the the other one on the top anime page. I just want it to be considered in the MAL ranking system.

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Just ignore them.
Reverb_ShockDec 28, 2013 6:18 PM
Dec 28, 2013 6:18 PM

Jun 2007
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

How is popularity a bullshit variable? It matters in averages. The top anime page consists of ratings from the amount of people who have seen the show, and it ranks them based on the highest average. When you look at an average with a sample size of 9,000 people and it has an average score of 9.18, and compare it to a sample size of 150,000 with an average of 9.17, it's obvious which is being consistently rated higher by more people. That should put it above the the other one on the top anime page. I just want it to be considered in the MAL ranking system.

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Just ignore them.

Don't make shitty threads and I won't click on your shitty threads, son.
Dec 28, 2013 6:19 PM

Jun 2011
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

It's not entitlement. And why complain about threads being made anyway? Don't fucking click on them.

Just give it a little time and it'll go down when it gets more viewers. The BDs were only out for a week compared to Steins;Gate which came out 2 years ago. It'll fluctuate a lot when a series has a small amount of members so it'll become more consistent once more people watch it.

Dec 28, 2013 6:43 PM

Mar 2010
I don't see a issue with the current ranking page.. since it has different page tabs that separate or include: All Anime, Top TV Series, Top Movies, Top OVAs, Top Specials, Most Popular.

Now I'm not really sure about that bundling idea but I suppose the most popular page can already tell you what anime has the most members... I'm a bit lost at what the real problem is for the top anime page, but I suppose this gives me a bit of a insight of what people really think of the rankings.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Sep 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Reverb_Shock said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Don't make shitty threads and I won't click on your shitty threads, son.
So you choose to ignore the main part of my post, well played...
Dec 30, 2013 9:35 AM

Aug 2011
I'm a fan of Gintama. But I'd say that Gintama is being overscored.

Why?
There are two reasons for this anime gets overscored.

1. Because of scoring system of MAL.
You have to watch at least 1/5 of episodes to really counted your vote for calculation of scoring.
This is the biggest reason of why Gintama is being overscored.
Original Gintama series is watched by random anime fans, and they will drop if they didn't like the first 40 eps.
And most of people who bore to go over this line are give Shounen fanboy score which is 10.
My recommendation to staffs is please don't choose hard 1/5 eps. It is too much on anime which has 100+ eps.
You should choose hard 1/5 eps for animes which has 130- eps (130/5=26)
For anime which has higher than 130 eps should be used 26 as red line.
Yes, 26 ep is enough to decide should i watch it or not.

2. Because of fanboys
People who dropped Gintama most likely won't watch its sequels. So Only Gintama fans will watch them and vote it as 10, no matter how bad it was.
But it is the fanboy issue. Also it is not only Gintama problem, it still works on those anime which are released after originals.
So I don't have any recommendation for this
But it is the real problem that staffs should look over it.

All Gintama except first series are overscored.

Sorry for my bad eng. But i think you guys can get its point.
bxyhxyhFeb 16, 2014 12:37 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Dec 30, 2013 11:46 AM

Apr 2012
Well, technically, Bayesian average does take account of how popular a show is, because it is bayesian average ...

Weighted Rank (WR) = (v / (v + m)) * S + (m / (v + m)) * C
The user-voted score is weighted against the average score across entire database with number of votes.

However, it is true that the current system has the minimum score set at 50, which is quite a low bar. If this is changed to 100, for example, we can pull down series that have less votes more to the average.

According to my calculation, if we use the 100 minimum votes method, Gintama final movie (which is characterized by a very small number of voters) will have a bayesian average of 9.17 atm instead of 9.20 (well I roughly back calculated the average across database). On the other hand, the average of series with large voter base will not change by 0.01 digit. This will fix the imbalance somewhat. Furthermore, if minimum of 100 voters is not enough, we can always change it to a 250 minimum etc.

A side effect to changing the minimum votes is that some series will no longer qualify for a bayesian average, since they have less than required votes. IMO, that's fine. These series in all likelihood will not be missed from top anime list.

All in all, the 50 minimum voters standard for the database is outdated, mainly because MAL members have grown exponentially since it was founded. Admittedly, I have never learned about bayesian average and how to choose the "minimum voters standard", cause our probability class stopped right before bayesian. However, intuitively, it makes not a lot of sense to have a minimum voter requirement so low when even the 1000th popular anime has about 10,000 voting members. I don't think the anime series are being properly "pulled toward the average".

Note: Granted, the TOP manga minimum voters requirement should be quite different since it has a much much lower voting users base. Now, I can surmise that the practical difficulty exists in the fact that anime and manga share the same top ranking system and if anime minimum voting requirement is changed manga is changed as well?! However, I am guessing that it is possible to separate the minimum voting requirement for anime and manga, though it might take a bit of code writing.
bunny1ov3rDec 30, 2013 12:09 PM
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Jan 5, 2014 1:21 AM

Aug 2011
If 1000th popular anime has about 10000 votes, minimum 250 votes sounds ok to me.

It seems more higher would be a safe.
bxyhxyhJan 5, 2014 8:47 AM
Sorry for my bad English.
Jan 5, 2014 1:50 AM
Mar 2011
Jody32 said:
I think most experienced users here would agree that almost all of the top rated anime on MAL are overrated in one way or another.

iv said this many times but been un justly mocked for commting a report that most of the MALvians decry as TO BE half Truth or at worst shear knavrey and falsity
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 8, 2014 6:54 AM

Nov 2010
I haven't read all the posts here, perhaps I'm repeating what others have said before. If so, I apologize.

I'm a fan of Gintama so I know this may soud strange coming from me, but the rankings have gotten ridiculous (not just Gintama, in general) and everything points to things getting even worse in the next couple years. Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes are getting out of hand. To put things into perspective and grouping these anime I mentioned (Sequels (including also prequels that came out after the original), Spin-offs, Remakes) into one category that I will call "Post-Original" for lack of a better term, 50 anime out of the Top 100 are "post-original". Perhaps it doesn't sound too bad like this but you should consider that out of the anime that comes out every year these "post-originals" belong to a minority.

About what I said about things getting worse, just to once again get things into perspective, out of the 20 highest rated anime in 2013 at the moment 18 are "post-original". The only two that werent in case you're wondering are Shingeki no Kyojin and Kotonoha no Niwa.

I don't know what could make this situation better. Perhaps creating a new category in the rankings precisely for these "post-originals" just like there are for Movies and OVAs and keeping the main ranking for the first anime of the series. That way you could still see the rating for the other seasons (since there are some anime that have one particularly bad season grouping them all together could overshadow that) and have a main top 100 that has more series than now (since there would be only one anime from each series). Changing the formula for the weighed rank to account more clearly for popularity is a bad idea since there would be good but unpopular shows that would never get due recognition. Oh well, those are just my 2 cents about this.

By the way, I counted these in a hurry so I may have skipped something. Just to clarify I included OVAs Movies and Specials while counting as long as they were related and came after another anime
Jan 8, 2014 7:13 AM

Mar 2008
The people have spoken, and it is hilarity.

Reverb_Shock said:
People want to see a variety of anime, not 5 Gintama's in the top 10
People who can't click a 'next 30' button deserve to see listings that rile them.
CkanJan 8, 2014 7:18 AM
Jan 8, 2014 7:14 AM

Feb 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Yeah, okay. Lets just make the list your favorites so you'll shut the fuck up instead. Make it so every user has their own cookie that makes the list turn into their top 5 favs automatically when they view the page.
Lol. I had a good laugh at this, someone should seriously get on that.

The problem with putting everything into their franchise is that certain entries will likely bring down the score dramatically for many franchises. Or, if you base the score off the first series then you get issues with the first series being legitimately worse than the rest of it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Buy a small morale patches

audrawells95 - 26 minutes ago

0 by audrawells95 »»
26 minutes ago

» forum rules and blogs

leyaf - May 5

3 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
31 minutes ago

» Add an option to view (and display) ratings with a 5 star scale (allowing half stars)

Bergioyn - Yesterday

2 by hacker09 »»
32 minutes ago

» [QoL] Allow more than 9 items in My Last List Updates

anonymate - Mar 25

4 by S_h_a_r_k_93 »»
1 hour ago

» Loosen Review Guidelines

Unrighteous - 9 hours ago

0 by Unrighteous »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.