Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 23, 2013 1:31 PM

Apr 2011
For some reason I'm just loving this show ... something about the idea of huge, awesome, alien-tech battleships also being cute girls just appeals to me, lol. Takao definitely looks like she wants to get a Gunzou harem started, which I'm rather OK with. I like me some harem, and this will probably lack the annoying pseudocomedy that often turns me off from those type of shows.

In my top 3 this season so far. 5/5
Oct 23, 2013 7:12 PM

Oct 2013
I enjoyed this ep the most so far. I liked the cliff-hanger and also hope for a dramatic battle next week.
Oct 24, 2013 3:43 AM

Jan 2013
Everyone's talking about how Takao's desire to get close to Gunzou was too sudden, even going as far as to suspect a harem development. You're too quick to judge this series. Takao's behavior is just... Takao-like. That's just the way she is. This tsundere heavy cruiser has her very own way of thinking. Notice how her "OTOME plug-in" is clearly listed in her specs in the Opening (otome = maiden). Tenzen wasn't joking when he mentioned it:

Tenzen12 said:
katsu044 said:

Did this episode just confirm Gunzou Fleet harem of fogs? sure as hell feels that way lol.

Not realy, there is nothing particulary romantic between him and Iona so far, so Takao is only ship around with "maiden plug-in"

Looking forward to the Kirishima and Haruna development ^^
Oct 24, 2013 5:20 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Episode soulless, I do not know but I found it empty of feeling, maybe I still have to digest the massive use of CG is not just outstanding and the speed with which our heroes face the bad guys, namely the speed with which the "big" of the Mist, stand in the way Iona & Company! It's not that they're all dead in the end the bad guys before they get to the last episode? LOL
Plot that has as sole aim to pit the good with the bad guys and the rest? I've seen nothing yet, except for small details. Narratively as I mentioned you run too much with the fighting, not that I do not like but we make it very intriguing with something extra! * _ *
4/5 seems more than adequate, I still want more in terms of fluidity in the CG of plot!
Oct 24, 2013 4:45 PM

Jul 2012
I love how the situation was quickly revised when the 401 ship showed up.

Great episode!!!
Oct 25, 2013 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good episode, it's getting interesting.
Still needs work on the facial expressions
Oct 25, 2013 4:10 AM

Aug 2012
i wish my PC has a mental model too. A cute loli will do.

interesting episode

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Oct 25, 2013 11:43 AM

Sep 2012
Two Haruna in the end-card !!
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 25, 2013 8:36 PM

Mar 2013
I'm all in if this series turns into a Harem. Yes, I would absolutely love to see Gunzou's own Fog fleet harem.
Triplets: 400, 401, and 402 XD
Oct 26, 2013 6:08 AM

Jun 2013
Up until now I have been quite skeptical to this adaptation. But this was the first episode that was actually on par with the manga. I hope they can make the rest as good ^^
Oct 26, 2013 1:09 PM

Apr 2008
Natr1x said:
Up until now I have been quite skeptical to this adaptation. But this was the first episode that was actually on par with the manga. I hope they can make the rest as good ^^

You're joking...
Oct 26, 2013 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
Well, I suppose the captain will have to add Takao and the others to his harem fleet.
Oct 26, 2013 5:20 PM

Feb 2013
I laughed at the dinner when i401 surfaced and put laser-sights on everyone.

I would like to see Iona eliminate some targets... she had to stand down during the invite. :( I want to know what she can do.
Oct 27, 2013 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
I approve of Takao joining with Iona. The CG looks quite good now, I was skeptical of it in the first episode.
Oct 28, 2013 3:24 AM

Jan 2008
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Ehhh....most of the videos online are screwd up with badly off-course subtitles and missing video frames(the op and after the mid episode break).

But as far as my first impression on a episode that I can barely understand, it looks awesome. Most of those CG stiffness are now much more natural(not 2D standards thou) and the background detail (the port fortress)and movement plus I-401 transformation are gorgeous...in CG. Couple with some comedy relieve (oh Takao, Takao) this episode is a brilliant showcase of CG. So If there is still any CG-atheist out there that still have problems with it, ermmmm, well theres no point convincing.

Plot wise , the political scene are finally coming in, with the oh-so-natural Navy-Army rivalry.I have to say there are few points thrat deviates from the manga, and now that the two Kongou-class battleship have arrive, where is the Hakugei JMSDF super-sub? where are the crew? and where's the supreme flagship of the Fog, the mighty battleship Yamato?(she was seen in the op of the 1st ep. Overall now that I have more faith in the animation, the storyline may worry me more. Now can somebody put up a non-screw up episode online please?

My Submarine can''t be this cute.

The cg is still stiff and unnatural. Uncanny valley ahoy. Not bad enough to stop me from watching but it IS quite noticeable.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
Oct 28, 2013 9:51 PM

Sep 2012
Takao is enticing....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 28, 2013 10:24 PM

Dec 2011
Gunzou's crew seems to be always used in danger. Ahahaha. Kinda makes his character boring with his calm demeanor, but then he is not a coward.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2013 10:27 AM

Jun 2011
Darklight0303 said:
Tenzen12 said:
So Gunzou will fight Haruna and Kirishima on his own? No plan no back-up. Very different from original manga. He will need dose of Gary Stue vitamins get through this battle.

But CG was quite nice. And I just love Yokosuka port fortress.

Not just that they cut out a whole ton of scenes.

I actually find this episode good, still I would like to see those cut scenes, if possible. Maybe I should read the manga after I am done with the anime..

Gr33ncar said:
i really hope takao becomes apart of gunzous fleet

I really hope that she won't, but we know that she will.

Takuan_Soho said:
This was one of those episodes that could have sunk an otherwise promising show, instead it transcended it (yes the pun was intended).

Properly handling the emotions at the cemetery could have been hackneyed, but by having the MC answer Iona's questions honestly was perfect. We had the expected betrayal by the government, but neither side acted like idiots, so good there. The discussion between the other two fog warshps was also both interesting and suggestive for the future. And most importantly Takao's defection could have been overdone, but her comedic reaction to the book and then the reaction of 400 and 402 were both great and boded well for future episodes, she didn't overreact to knowing that 401 was under attack, but acted in character, namely she expects him to win because she gets the bigger picture.

I have to say that a week or so into this cour while I had a couple of shows I thought were entertaining, I didn't think that any show would prove to be that exciting. This week proved me wrong, 4 shows (this, Galileo, Gintsune and Yowamushi) all stepped up big time, showing that they have the chops to maintain through the season. All of these may flop from here on out, but for now I have 4 shows to look forward to, and for that I am grateful.

You said it! This has enormous potential, to the point that I don't even care about the fanservices anymore. Really great execution, unlike Strike the Blood, which is really bad, cheesy dialogues and all..
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 31, 2013 10:10 AM

Oct 2009
Well Takao is quite a perverted ship :O
Oct 31, 2013 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
So Takao want's a captain xD

I wonder how are they going to survive a 2vs1 battle ???
Nov 3, 2013 4:31 PM
Jul 2013
But which aims Gunzou?
Nov 5, 2013 2:49 PM
Oct 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
tingy said:
Really liked the battle, it was exciting to watch.

Agree. It also made this episode seem to fly by. It was already halfway done before I noticed. I liked that they explained Chihaya's reasoning, both in knowing they had the canon and that they had to have a submarine with them. It was also a good move to have Takao explain why she was defeated and have the other Fog leader both chastising her for her arrogance AND suspecting that there was more to Takao's behavior than Takao had explained. I LOVE shows with smart good guys and bad guys (which is really rarer than one thinks - stupidity is so much easier to write).

tingy said:
It sad at the end though when Iona said that she was just a weapon, clearly Chihaya doesn't agree. I'm looking forward to seeing her development, as well as Chihaya since it's only the beginning and we haven't really learned much about him yet.

My guess is that his father felt the same way about the ships which is why Iona was willing to defect (at the cost of her memory (which probably ensured her loyalty to the Fog). That Chihaya sees them first as intelligent beings is going to be the key to this series. Of course the biggest question is who is leading the Fog, because they are not self-directing units, someone had to instruct them on this course. That I believe will be the main drama of this show.

I have to admit that after last week I had very low expectations of the show. That 2 out of 3 crew members were women, and all the ships mental units were women I expected an eventual harem series. But the writing and directing of this episode was superb. Great time management, and as I said above, funniest beginning to a harem (Takao viewing humans as "units") makes this show much better than I thought. Looking forward to seeing if they can maintain the momentum.

Yeah, the battle was amazing. I love this type of battle.

Agreed on your story theories.

I had high expectations from the trailers due to the scifi naval combat they were showing off, I'm really pleased by the tone of the show both in and out of the combat parts, they're doing a surprisingly great job so far. This really feels like one of the classic great scifi shows so far thanks to the bits of comedy, serious tone and crew. As said in one of the later comments, since they haven't done it yet, hopefully we'll get at least a little more looks at how they came together and their comradery. I'm looking forward to more of the moments where they pull for each other which is always fun in these rare crew shows. (E7, Last Exile, Yamato, Blue Sub, etc.)

-ShadowClaw- said:
Also it as a nice change of pace that this whole episode was dedicated for the entire battle especially at this early in the series because most anime series have there battles to about 30 sec to 2 min

Definitely. It really added to the tactics, intensity and the excitement, the ep just flew by with how great the ep-long battle sequence was.

ma_ko said:
Why only 12 episodes? :(

This. This should be longer, I'm really enjoying this show.
Dec 30, 2013 12:38 PM

Jun 2008
Translation
Old guy: - i want your loli moe ship.
mai guy - NO! Loli is mine!
Jan 8, 2014 11:55 AM

Jan 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
tezann_t said:
This series has so far been pretty well-orchestrated. The story combat has been a thrill to watch, not just some run-of-the-mill nonsense. The interaction between Gunzou and Iona has also been quite charming. I'm really enjoying this. Too bad I think this series is going to end up as one of those overlooked gems...

Specifically on Takao, the change of mind seems to have come very suddenly. But it does pave the way for other members of the Fog fleet to join Gunzou's side, which is nice because it'd be kind of boring for Iona to be the only vessel Gunzou can command, not to mention unrealistic.

On Takao. I would agree that it would be fast if she had a human personality, but remember that the mental modes aren't human. They don't have that much in the way of emotions: all they have is their "we are weapon" approach and a desire, similar to a weapon, to do away with the enemy as efficiently as possible. So three observations:

1) Emotionally they are children, so like children they can change their emotions on a pin drop.
2) Takao's change is also related to her belief in being a weapon. She lost, not only did she lose, but she lost when she had the overwhelming advantage. She realized that ship to ship it wasn't a contest, she should have won, but something blunted her as a weapon, and that was 401's captain. She now wants a Captain because she thinks it would both sharpen and polish her as a weapon.
3) Finally, the show has made several references that the mental modes have spent too much time in human form, and this was causing some issues: so on top of Takao having the emotions of a child, the excitement of possibly being perfected as a weapon, she also has teenage hormones running through her system. And on top of that don't forget that for a Ship, failure is death. Takao failed, but Gunzou saved her life as romantically as Tarzan rescuing Jane. No wonder she swooned Tsundered
Fixed.
Jan 8, 2014 8:59 PM

Oct 2012
Oh Takao xD
400 and 402 resembles Iona a lot
I'm starting to enjoy this ship hare-... wars I mean wars

End card... Haruna x Haruna?

Monad said:
Translation
Old guy: - i want your loli moe ship.
mai guy - NO! Loli is mine!

Lol, funny translation.. Here's your cookie xD
Rayl1ghtJan 9, 2014 12:35 AM
"Signature removed"
Jan 14, 2014 5:47 AM

Jan 2012
loved this episode!!! I am loving Iona's character a lot, lifting up her shirt when the sub opened xD and it tickled when she was getting scanned xD so cute

but then she get's all serious and bad ass at the end 'iyou will get hurt if you move, it will probably hurt a lot' wooooooooah!

Gunzous is also a great MC he seems really strong minded and confident and most of all a decent leader for once, which is nice and refreshing!
Mar 10, 2014 6:26 AM

Sep 2011
That was a cool episode! So cute when Iona lifts up her shirt and the ship just mimics her movements. xD

Also the end with the lasers was really awesome!
Mar 29, 2014 8:12 AM
May 2012
I am really sleepy now >_<
I must scan Iona too :3
I would tap Takao, she is alluring, and I like her hair.
Opening song is cool but I like the ending song more.
Apr 1, 2014 7:19 PM

Jan 2013
Iona <3 So OP!
And now Takao wants to join Gunzou's fleet xD Not bad.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 7, 2014 6:39 AM

May 2012
Pretty interesting episode, let's see what's next!
Sep 25, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2008
Huh yeah. The Navy and its highly trained and experienced who havw been able to do nothing against the Fog are better equipped to use Iona than Gunzou and his 6 man crew who have had the only wins for humanity.

Yeah sound logic old man....
Nov 11, 2014 3:57 PM

Feb 2013
Iona doing cute adorable things.

Usually a girl would read a magazine for how to get boys... not Takao, she reads about captains...
Dec 8, 2014 8:21 PM

Feb 2013
Iona is so cute! That 400 and 402 mental model could pass for twin for Iona. They almost look just like her. Looks like Takao isn't part of the Fleet of Fog anymore. She's in pursure of Chihaya. Yup, I think I'm used to the CI now. Good episode. Looks like we're gonna get a battle next episode.
Jul 15, 2015 8:20 AM
May 2015
Hmm, alright, some tropes here but all in all things seem to start moving. Quite an alright episode, good enough for me to watch on...
Mar 15, 2016 12:45 PM

Sep 2014
Takao is so cute! :3
Sep 13, 2018 2:36 PM

Mar 2016
Soldiers with AR are useless against I401...

Fog not underestimating human in terms of the capabilities humans have for tactics seem odd as they should be able to create their own tactic without any experience. They literally have some kind of quantum supercomputer ffs!

I am aware that some of the Fog could turn into a submarine even though they're a ship. Goddamn, next up, a flying ship!

Takao has to be in Gunzou's fleet!!! Gotta use those extra firepowers (and another vessel to 'ride' on ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) BTW Takao seems really thirsty for Gunzou anyway...
Sep 10, 2019 2:19 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Takao is the perfect female to deliver all those dirty inuendo that makes this series kinda funny and naughty at the same time.
I expect her to go more crazy over time, and getting my approval!

Grandpa got his retarded BS ended fast, it was satisfying to see him getting owned like that in the end.
And 2 more ships join for battle!
Oct 12, 2019 9:38 PM

Aug 2018
I was so hoping to see 401 kick a little army tail. This next episode should be good as we take on a pair of battleships.
Jan 30, 2020 3:27 AM

Jul 2016
Brego1 said:
Well, I suppose the captain will have to add Takao and the others to his harem fleet.

My first thought. He is going to end up with a big old harem fleet.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2013

127 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 23, 2023 4:23 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2013

109 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 15, 2023 5:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2013

196 by Gendolfas »»
Feb 14, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2013

153 by TechOtaku »»
Nov 23, 2022 1:06 PM

Poll: » Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Elite60 - Oct 7, 2013

242 by Ashhk »»
Aug 27, 2020 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.