Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 18, 2013 9:26 PM

Aug 2013
Good character development this ep on Haru, Rei, Rin, and even a little on Nagisa. I sure hope we get to see more with Makoto next ep though.

Damn, the last 30 seconds was the last time I felt anything for Rei but contempt for like 6 episodes lol. That shot really pulled at my heartstrings.

See you next water time....the laaaaaaast water time..... DX
*facepalm*
Sep 18, 2013 9:29 PM

Jul 2013
Some ReiRin action. didnt hate it lol
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 18, 2013 9:34 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was pretty good. The beginning was SUPER intense, which i loved. It was a good change of pace. And you can clearly see that haru really trusts and loves his team, even rei, who was feeling left out at one point.
But the fact that Rin was pulled out totally shocked me. I thought that the final relay race between them would be the climax of the series, so now im really curious as to what the actual climax will be.
I'm gonna miss this series! It was fun and had some really hot anime boys for fanservice and shout out to kyoani for this whole project <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 18, 2013 10:38 PM

Jun 2013
OH GOD WHY! WHY IS RIN BEING PULLED OUT OF THE RELAY ;_;
one more ep left........ im gonna miss this anime :( (and the hot guys)
Sep 18, 2013 11:29 PM

Jan 2013
Nice episode, wanted a fight scene kind of.
Sep 18, 2013 11:36 PM

Apr 2012
I'm getting tired of this show. Had a few good moments, but the cuteness doesn't really suit boys after all. Or it does in such a way that severs too many links from believability for me -- in a manner that yes, is consistent with the ideological warping usually practiced in anime, but for some reason I just can't come to terms with it here. Here's to you A.J..
EratiKSep 18, 2013 11:49 PM
Sep 18, 2013 11:42 PM

Apr 2013
I would have been more pissed than Rin if someone who barely knew me was asking me all these personal questions. Rin could have done things differently but he's not responsible for Rei's problems within his team,I really think he's pretty annoying now,he didn't have to slam him into the wall either.

Anyway,the scene between Haru and Makoto was really cute.
Sep 19, 2013 12:27 AM
Jul 2013
Rei feels :3....and we finally understand what happened to Rin in Australia

and now Rin is off the relay ?

only one episode left :/
Sep 19, 2013 1:20 AM
Feb 2013
I've lost count as to how many times Haru smiled in this episode~ them feels~
Sep 19, 2013 1:38 AM

Jul 2011
Rin won't be participating in the relay.

HAHA.
THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING A SELFISH WHINY BITCH RIN!
HAHA.
HA.
HA.
HA.
motherfucker.

Finally we get more Rei, woohoo
Nagisa is so cute as usual but nobody seems to care about him, everyone always Rin this Rin that, ewww
i hate the author for making him nothing more than a background character. fuckyou.
Sep 19, 2013 1:44 AM

Apr 2008
I didn't expect Rei to start the physical business. I was thinking "please don't hit each other!" but even so a part of me wanted to see some fists flying ;w;
Haru was too cute this episode with his smiles and opening up to his team members.
Last episode next weak... ugh.
Sep 19, 2013 3:35 AM

Mar 2011
millo said:

HAHA.
HAHA.
HA.
HA.
HA.
motherfucker.
It's safe to say that Rin's suffered enough. So many of you haters lack empathy and it's sad.
Sep 19, 2013 3:39 AM

Apr 2013
Really? So Rin is not going to swim in the relay ...? That's good news :D
Sep 19, 2013 3:45 AM

May 2010
Rei stole this episode, he asked the questions everyone (including the fandom) was dying to know from Rin like a boss.

Gou, why do you appear so less??? I want an entire episode about her, and yet she keeps appearing lesser and lesser... She is so adorable and amazing, the best in this series even...

Hahaha, Rei is jealous of rin being part of the team and Rin is jealous of rei being part of them xD

Rin stopped being a pimp finally! Next episode, well will get an epic friendship scene , can't wait for it! And pleaseeee a lot more Gou coz it's finale!
Sep 19, 2013 5:05 AM

Jun 2013
I don't have very much to say because my OTP practically caused me to miss half the episode. Just....!

*fangirl mode on*
MAKOHARU! MAKOHARU! MAKOHARU! MAKOHARU! MAKOHARU! MAKOHARU!

Argh! All of those side glances! Haru's love confession! >.< I just..*dies* Haru, why did you run away?and not get into bed with Makoto?

Nobody can tell me these two aren't canon anymore. Nobody. >:(
*fangirl mode off*

Anyways, ummm...that was practically the highlight of this episode for me, but I did enjoy other things! xD It's nice to see Haru smile so much. It makes me really happy! (And he laughed which made it all the more better!) :) Good job to Rei for smaking some sense into Rin! And Rin...I've probably said this a million times but: quit being so stubborn and just join up with your friends again. xD
Too lazy to make a signature. F*** it.
Sep 19, 2013 5:16 AM

Jun 2013
This show is like fine wine,, gets better and better with every show and it just got better recently and before you know it its already to the end and i still cant figure out what it is ACTUALLY..

its definitely not swimming , just a bunch of teenagers battling their emotional feelings along with the fact they can't get back together..

Okay the rin and rei argument was really intense,, WE GET IT, YOU TAKE YOUR SWIMMING AND YAOI SERIOUSLY...

Geez,,... if this does not have a second season,, then seriously it was not for swimming but for one-its-kind-fanservice-for-gals-that actually-sold

P.S - I am still little sad its ending,, but only little..
Sep 19, 2013 6:28 AM

Aug 2012
Poor Rin, he finally opend up.
Haru was really cute this episode, together with Makoto.
Rei was a badass. And Nagisa was his annoying self.

Cutecutecute, and a bit of sadness in the end.

4/5
Sep 19, 2013 6:29 AM

May 2013
TragicRomance said:

Gou, why do you appear so less??? I want an entire episode about her, and yet she keeps appearing lesser and lesser... She is so adorable and amazing, the best in this series even...

Funny.. That doesn't say Makoto is the best in the series...

Anyway, cute episode! I found the boys traveling around the city the best part. Something about all of them interacting was just real cute. Specially when Nagisa and Haru talked. I have to say Nagisa has grown on me.

I didn't care too much for the Rei and Rin interaction, but I did like Rin being told by the captain. Mostly cause his expressions were amusing to me.

Anyway, real sad it's ending. This really was a surprise show for me! I usually enjoy darker more series animes and slice of life tend to bore me, but Free! has been a real joy for me and I've loved every second of it. I only wish for less drama which there will hopefully be a lot less of if we ever get that second season.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 19, 2013 7:15 AM

May 2010
Kawos said:
TragicRomance said:

Funny.. That doesn't say Makoto is the best in the series...

Well, I am a guy so probably a bit biased xD But still Makoto is definitely the best guy in this show, and Gou is the best character overall for me. I ship them together actually very much, they would make an awesome couple; Manager x Captain if they ever do.

Besides, all of us don't have to agree on a fav, different people have different minds after all ;)
Sep 19, 2013 7:54 AM

Apr 2012
Death by melon bread! ^_^
Sep 19, 2013 8:27 AM

Dec 2012
There is no way Rin is not going to be in the relay next week!!

They will find a loophole for him to get in by! Or that annoying little fanboy of his will do something about it.

Having a final episode with them NOT competing would be so anti-climax!
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Sep 19, 2013 8:47 AM

Jul 2011
Edefrem said:
millo said:

HAHA.
HAHA.
HA.
HA.
HA.
motherfucker.
It's safe to say that Rin's suffered enough. So many of you haters lack empathy and it's sad.

Well i don't have any little bit of sympathy for him getting ejected from the relay,
HE DID IT TO HIMSELF! If he wants to be in a team, he need to interact and socialize with the other team member! Nobody in his team member (except the sissy one) cares about his past because he is such an arrogant prick!
RIN NEEDS A REMINDER THAT THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND HIM!
Kudos for the captain for showing the whiny bitch who's the boss.
Sep 19, 2013 10:08 AM

Dec 2011
Haru started dying from eating dry food. Melon bread isn't mackerel, after all.

Gorou doesn't need a megaphone. His voice is loud enough anyway.

That evening bit was getting tedious. But then - Rin not in the relay? Will he start supporting Iwatobi? The captain was right to drop him out for those reasons, after all, so barring something bad happening I doubt he would reconsider. Although it could negatively impact his 100m free from being told that.

Next episode is called "haruka naru free"... Very clever...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 19, 2013 11:02 AM

Aug 2012
this show needs more Gou.

anyway, pretty good episode. Nice questions, Rei!

That pic at the end of episode was gorgeous. Totally love it

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Sep 19, 2013 11:42 AM

Oct 2011
Ending pic was definitely very nice. Good episode, Haru's confessions (?) to Nagisa and Makoto were really cute. I don't think Rin knows what to make of Rei, which is a good thing imo. Looking forward to the last episode!
Sep 19, 2013 11:59 AM
Sep 2013
I'm really glad we got to learn a little more about what happened to Rin in Australia. You can see he's finally starting to open up more, and he really seems to want to have that relationship that he had with Haru, Makoto, and Nagisa when doing a relay again - even if it's not them he's experiencing it with this time. He just seems very lonely. AND THEN GOD DAMMIT WHY. The end was so sad. I was so excited to see Rin swim in a relay and now he's not gonna anymore for god sake.

and the scene with makoto and haru in their hotel room was cute xD
Sep 19, 2013 1:32 PM

Mar 2011
millo said:
Edefrem said:
millo said:

HAHA.
HAHA.
HA.
HA.
HA.
motherfucker.

Well i don't have any little bit of sympathy for him getting ejected from the relay,
HE DID IT TO HIMSELF! If he wants to be in a team, he need to interact and socialize with the other team member! Nobody in his team member (except the sissy one) cares about his past because he is such an arrogant prick!
RIN NEEDS A REMINDER THAT THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND HIM!
Kudos for the captain for showing the whiny bitch who's the boss.
Just because he did it to himself doesn't mean you can't feel sorry for him. It's not like he thought, "Hey! I'd better damage myself and my relationships in a misguided pursuit to make myself worthy after causing my father's death!"
The guy's suffered enough, and though I'm glad Mikobisha took him out of the relay, my heart still broke at his reaction.
Sep 19, 2013 1:36 PM
Mar 2012
The start with Rei and Rin was a bit weird...
Sep 19, 2013 4:29 PM

Mar 2012
As hammy and over-dramatic this show sometimes gets, there's just something that gives off a nice feel-good vibe when I watch episodes like these. The series doesn't get into anything incredibly profound, but I like the way it's been developing its themes and the concepts of friendship and teamwork.
Sep 19, 2013 5:45 PM

Nov 2012
it ends next week
Sep 19, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2013
Oh my gosh, no!!! Rin got taken out of the relay D:? Next episode will be so full of feels, but I hope that they will at least have 13 episodes, if not another season of everyone rebuilding their friendships and getting to swim together as a team of 5.

Haruka smiled so much in this episode, and is beginning to reveal his care to the others, so cute ^___^.

Rin and Haru just break my hear; Can't wait for the next episode <3
Sep 19, 2013 7:05 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Meh too much drama now.

I don't like too much drama...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 19, 2013 8:39 PM

Aug 2011
I just want Rin to understand he doesn't need to validate his existance by fulfilling his dead father's dream. I get that it won't be easy since he's pretty much the reason his father became a fisherman in the first place and thus he blames himself for his death.

Rin is the only character i care about in this goddamn swimming anime and he gets all the angst so he better be happy by the end ok
Sep 19, 2013 8:45 PM

Sep 2012
TragicRomance said:

Gou, why do you appear so less??? I want an entire episode about her, and yet she keeps appearing lesser and lesser... She is so adorable and amazing, the best in this series
Rin stopped being a pimp finally! Next episode, well will get an epic friendship scene , can't wait for it! And pleaseeee a lot more Gou coz it's finale!

^
And more Matsuoka siblings interactions please.
Sep 20, 2013 2:13 AM

Aug 2011
Good episode, Rei and Rin finally sort themself out at the start of the episode and I'm glad we finally get to see Rin's through feeling when he lost to Haru when he was a little boy back then.

Dat Death to Melon pan. I guess it really dries you out.

Dat Hari x Mako scene in their room. Some vibes there man.

Going to be really interesting to see how this show will end. I do have a little theory, but something tells me I most likely be wrong in this. Lol

http://31.media.tumblr.com/2f2d7bb278a69a78a4e30ca46cd87f00/tumblr_mtcmuqf8mK1rovmgeo3_500.gif
Sep 20, 2013 5:31 AM

Jun 2008
Good that Rin and Rei talked about things... And then before Haruka went outside and left Makoto totally dumbfounded... MakoHaru is getting stronger XD
Sep 20, 2013 6:33 AM

Sep 2012
that Rin and Rei conversation is so great....it makes me sweat a little...LOL

xD
Sep 20, 2013 1:32 PM

Jul 2013
I never thought that i may be moved by anime about swimming.... But that second conversation betwen Rei and Rin was so... OMG too many feelings :')
We're all mad here
Sep 20, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
Next episode:
-Rei gets injured
-Rin subs in for Rei
-Haru, Rin, and friends win the race
-Everyones happy

I highly doubt that they would let Rin race for a different school, but it's an anime; so everything is game.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2013 2:32 PM

May 2013
Go ahead, Rei! Let all them feelings out!

Lol at Haruka eating melon bread. "Losing moisture..."

Aww, Haruka's thanking Makoto and Nagisa.

We now know what happened in Australia.
Rin wanted to join the Olympics, but in the end, he just wanted to join a relay.
But at the end of this episode, when Rin let all of his feelings out, he's been kicked out of the relay. Damn.

Hopefully this will end well.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Sep 20, 2013 5:36 PM

Nov 2012
nice conversation in the beginning :3
and ending is close :3
Sep 20, 2013 5:54 PM

Jul 2013
Dat drama in the beginning, Rei talking sense to Rin about Haru. Well looks like Rin is not trained well enough on the Olympics level and wants to joined the relays instead. Well kind of shocking that he was taken down by his own team at the end.

Let's see how the finale will turn out for next week.

Sep 20, 2013 8:04 PM
Aug 2012
Melodrama everywhere. I liked this show when it was in it for the laughs.
Sep 21, 2013 6:38 AM

Sep 2013
I constantly have to fight against my internal dialogue that's just making up a completely gay storyline to everything that happens. To the point where there was a number of things I misread in this episode. lalala.

On a slightly (not really) more serious note. One of the things that actually intrigued me when watching this anime was the whole "I'll show you something special" thing because I wanted to know what it was. Although I've been convinced for a while that it was just rin's penis tbh.

But is it just me or this has been really unsatisfactorily answered? I mean we had the story Haru told where Nagisa and Makoto were like "me too I saw/felt it too" but WHAT THE HELL IS IT? Love, the meaning of friendship etc etc. Rin's penis - seriously he said it and then put his hand behind his head and thrust his hips out. If this is what a fanservice anime is just give me more fanservice. I've watched this whole thing with my fist stuffed in my mouth not knowing whether to laugh or cry from frustration. It's completely innocent and thus incredibly erotic.

Honestly the amount of headcanon going in my mind how on earth is one more episode going to satisfactorily wrap everything up??

I've enjoyed this slice of life anime way to much and now im sad it's almost over.
my_name_isSep 21, 2013 6:41 AM
Sep 21, 2013 7:29 AM
Jul 2013
Oh man... So sad, Rin's situation...
:**(
I love the characters so much.... Especially Rin, Haru, Makoto...
But in this episode, i got to see a different side of rei and nagisa, too. That's what I really liked. We got further with plot and character development and I frankly want to Punch that captain in the face for ruining Rin's chances. Hang in there, RIN!!!
Awesome visuals and music.
I'm happy we get to see haru talk more and more and be closer to the other members, since he's kind of an introvert...Though I can somehow relate to that a bit!!!
Sep 21, 2013 9:34 AM

Jun 2010
great ep
dno how much is gonna be fit into the last episode though
Sep 21, 2013 10:43 AM
Nov 2012
I'm glad Rei asked those questions, I think I can understand Rin now. I even actually feel a bad for him.

I loved how the group has become more closer now. KyoAni was always good at this touchy-feely stuff (I'm sure there's a proper word for it :P).

Nice to see Haru smile so much. He should do that more often.

Hopefully, we're gonna get a bit more of Gou and Ama-san in the next ep, as well as some relay action!

Oh wait... it's the last ep....
I hope they can fit everything into one ep... ;_;

Sep 21, 2013 12:21 PM

Jan 2013
dat feels...

episode was okay I guess, just it's sad that Free! is going to end ;_;
Sep 21, 2013 10:03 PM

Sep 2012
Good episode. Particularly like how Rei confronted Rin even though he knew Rin would not be in good mood talking about this. There are also a bunch of bonding moments like between Haruka and Makoto and Haruka and Nagisa. It is also great for Rin to come around and let Rei know more details about his back story (although I find it odd that he would actually blame relay itself for his poor performance, what led him to think that way? And since he himself suggested relay why projected his frustration at Haruka? ) but that seems to be too late - the club president made a good point that in Rin's mind it seems the relay is only for himself, though I think it would have been better if he could have talked to Rin earlier and saw if he could change before dismissing him so abruptly.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Sep 22, 2013 5:50 AM

Feb 2008
What a twist. Too bad it's pointless as Rin will probably swim in the relay. Looking forward to the big conclusion, hopefully keeping up the quality and ending majestically.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Free! shows demographic matters more than ever

Sanjay63773 - Jan 23

8 by Yaoi4U »»
Apr 3, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Free! Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

lpf - Jul 24, 2013

315 by Luisito14 »»
Mar 21, 5:11 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2013

408 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2013

170 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Free! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2013

102 by CCC47 »»
Jan 18, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.